Alan Pattullo: Rangers and Celtic ought to feel embarrassed by German gesture

Funny how we are now lumped in with them again isnt it?

Pretty obvious there is only one team that has boasted about its enormous cash reserves. Lets see the philanthropy then?

I would imagine the Bheasts feel the same as us about helping out other Clubs as well only because they where and have always been about self interest. Them trying to claim a Title when the Counrty is in turmoil proves that at least we have valid reasons not to, they hate us and tried to kill us off primarily the main one's .

Maybe if they chose to sell Rangers fans tickets instead of having half empty stadiums they would have a few extra pennies in the bank.
We don't owe Scottish football anything.

In my opinion no Rangers fan should be happy to help the other Clubs even if it would be seen as the right thing to do. However if it was a pulling together resources to save the league from collapsing I wouldn’t see any choice. I guess we will just need to wait and see what it looks like at the other side of the void

Not even taking 2012 into account, in 2020 there is an agenda from all corners of Scottish football to stop the game from returning to being dominated by two teams. They want celtic to keep winning the league.

An article completely divorced from reality and as a Spoon Burner, his motivation is as obvious as Edinburgh Castle.

This. The cash injection Rangers fans gave the likes of Montrose was enormous. new stands, new community projects, coaching budgets increased. Financial security for the last 8 years.

You want us to commit to a friendly in the next 6 months against Peterhead to help them reassure creditors, I’m up for that. They treated us well, as I recall. You want us to hand over cash to Aberdeen? Motherwell? Or any other of the clubs who wanted us not to exist? %^*& that.

It wasn't enormous and didnt give them financial security for anything like the last 8 years.

How about the paedophile ring working out of Celtic park for decades? No real mention or condemnation of that ever of course.

If any sympathy had been shown to us in 2012 maybe just maybe i could show some sympathy in return but all they did was formed a queue to stick the boot in so f**k them,f**k them all.

We’re told we’re skint by all these idiots, now we should be spending on others! Celtic are the club drenched in cash, they can fork out for everyone!
Exactly. One minute we’re heading for administration, the next we’re awash with cash and should be helping out those who took great delight in our problems. Make your fucking minds up.

Fined us for being skint, withheld much needed prize money and held onto transfer cash that was rightfully ours.
Then not only kicked us out but used our journey to get TV deals with the top clubs pocketing most of that money as well.
So as others have said - feck those that wanted us dead. Take your begging bowl round to uncle Peter who promised he would take care of you all those years ago if you did "the right thing".
We could, however, suggest that this years prize money across all divisions be pooled and evenly split between all 42 clubs.
Hurts all those that lined up to have a kick and helps those further down - but then again "charity begins at home". Rangers first.

Last edited:
The writer in the Scotsman would do well to read the book about Bill Struth and the lengths he and the club went to in supporting other clubs and sporting institutions when they fell on hard times.

I wish we could still act in that way, however 2012 was a game-changer. They bit the hand that fed them.

The writer in the Scotsman would do well to read the book about Bill Struth and the lengths he and the club went to in supporting other clubs and sporting institutions when they fell on hard times.

I wish we could still act in that way, however 2012 was a game-changer. They bit the hand that fed them.
What’s the book? I could do with a good read to pass the time.

Our demotion to the bottom tier of Scottish football was a massive positive/help for the smaller clubs. It literally kept them afloat for the foreseeable future back in 2012.

Where was our help at our time of need. No where, every bastard wanted us dead.

To compare us to the 4th and 12th richest clubs in the world is utter ridiculous. We simply don't have that cash flow of a Bayern Munich or Dortmund.

Right now you look after number one - in terms of your football club. We do what's best for Rangers. Not Hamilton, not Raith Rovers or Forfar.
Totally agree with you

%^*& the rest of the teams in Scotland, if we have anything available to dish out then it should be going to local charities who need it more!

These same teams out with the begging bowls are the same ones that gave us a kick in our time of need...i have no sympathy for any of them!

We could look at this from our point of view only of course, as is our right.

Now, when the fallout of 2012 hit the SPL clubs hard, some went bust, got relegated and the TV deals went tits up ... only one club raked in millions from heinous transfer deals (Soton alone pumped dozens of millions into the Scum) and serial CL participation. Did that club ever even contemplate to bail out ANY of the poor Scottish teams (who often got and get what they deserved for 2012)? Obviously, the Scum couldn`t spare a penny as their squad ate up all the cash they got ... but that was their own-made problem.

I don`t know if there was ever made an account of how much money the lower tier clubs received from our stay there ... and how much money they by comparison got from the authorities over the years.

And while we are at it, we got 400k from the SPFL, which probably sounds much. But, much like the Scum, we have a 50k seater stadium and quite a few people more to take care of than the likes of East Fife, Stenhousemuir or even the Arabs. By comparison, I reckon the money will help only so much as to pay some of the bills and wages that come with it. (Well, Motherwell will be glad they get so much.)

Patullo has been around for some time, mid 90s I reckon. Like many, he likes to put us in with the Scum when it suits a negative agenda. Maybe he should not ask US to hand someone money, but ask the SPFL why they deemed it okay to hand out money according to positions instead of asking clubs whether they deemed it okay to withhold that pot and then share it equally throughout the leagues?

Not much more to add to the above, nobody helped us in 2012 and most went out their way to hinder and try to finish us off. We need to look after our own club first as we are surviving on directors loans so giving money away is a no go. Terrible ill informed article as usual.

They all tried to finish us off when we were at our lowest, sell out saturday and the rest of the pish and we should be embarrassed about something?.
Tell them to GTF if they every get the bowl out. They've had plenty blue pound since we fought our own way back ON OUR OWN!!!

They've milked us all their shitty existance

Why did Motherwell get 400k and not any of the other teams get payment or did they all get money and its not been disclosed yet. 400k will go a lot further in helping Motherwell than it will with us.

Bears remember 2012 everybody including the organisation that run the game here tried to finish us off , held back money's we were due , this was instigated by one team that only profited one team , so %^*& them ,Rangers are bigger than anything this little back water has , WATP

What an idiot. Where is any team in Scotland getting the finance to do this? Scottish football is about survival, even they can't afford handouts.

Usual narrative is that the scum are cash rich and we are on the verge of going bust again.

Now they have found another stick to beat us with in order that they can't just pick on the cash rich team.

I thot you couldn't have it both ways but it seems I am wrong.

From the Scotsman

When this is all over, the hope is we’ll look back and realise that despite the borders, the different countries, races and religions, we are all in this together.
The world’s population will remain at risk from the sort of invisible enemy that is currently having such a profound impact. It could yet prompt a philosophical response. Some are even forecasting another Summer of Love when we are all allowed out in the open again.

Is it too much to expect Scottish football might develop something approaching a sense of community? Many are proving unarguably heroic in their own communities. The Scotsman has been carrying a diary from Stenhousemuir chairman Iain McMenemy in which he has been outlining his club’s efforts in helping the vulnerable in the local area.

Others, many themselves operating on the breadline, are pulling out the stops, such as Inverness Caledonian Thistle. Individuals, too, are taking a lead, Inverness manager John Robertson among them. He slipped on some protective gloves to deliver food parcels to pensioners in isolation due to the coronavirus outbreak.
But what are clubs doing for each other? I recall receiving some flak for suggesting Celtic should help bail out Rangers back in 2012. It was, perhaps, foolishly idealistic. One or two Celtic fans got in contact pointing that out. However, it was not some hippy notion plucked out of the air. The column was written on the back of a story in Germany where it was revealed, almost ten years after the event, that Bayern Munich had provided a €2 million loan to help fierce rivals Borussia Dortmund stave off the threat of bankruptcy in 2003.
It was a critical situation for Borussia Dortmund,” Uli Hoeness, Bayern’s president, explained. “I’m a big fan of tradition in sport. I think it was the right thing to do.”

The right thing to do. Just think about that for a moment. Bayern have also helped out financially troubled 1860 Munich and St Pauli in the past.

This week, it was reported that four clubs in the Bundesliga, including Bayern and Borussia Dortmund, have pledged a solidarity payment of €20m to support other clubs struggling to stay afloat in the country because of the shutdown.

“In these difficult times, it’s important that the stronger shoulders support the weaker shoulders,” said Bayern chief executive and former star player Karl-Heinz Rummenigge.
It is hoped those in charge of clubs such as Rangers and Celtic might have the good grace to feel slightly embarrassed upon reading these words having presumably already banked the cheques received from the SPFL earlier this week. There has been little from either of them or any top-flight club in Scotland regarding the greater good. Of course, they have needs too. And compared to Germany for example, there is simply not the same level of funding to hand in Scottish football.

But we must also accept there is something far wrong in our game when earlier this week our top three clubs, including third-placed Motherwell, received an early handout totalling almost £400,000 each from the SPFL. League 2 clubs’ share of the pot, meanwhile, was only £1,350. Barely enough to pay for floodlight bulbs they may be about to turn off for good.

We have nothing to feel embarrassed about after our journey back to the top it must be lost on him how much of the Blue pound was spread through the little Clubs during it,I didn't see that mob give away any of their unimpossed CL entry money or any big commercial contracts that brought because of it,we have already paid our debt to Scottish football we owe it nothing.

There's only one club should be embarrassed , but we all know why they'll be keeping money back .....dirty little secret not so secret now

I do think we could be a bit smarter and more community orientated. I would take the lead and offer all teams in Scotland an equal share of the SPFL prize money. That would help to keep everyone afloat. I'd then call for the season to be null and void, allowing teams to sell season tickets for next year, all being well.

1 major issue I have with the article is the hatred put squarely at the door of Rangers and Celtic. The fans of Kilmarnock, Aberdeen, Hibs, Hearts and St johnstone to name a few seemed happy enough to have 1000s of empty seats when they played against us, even though we (not Celtic tbf) could have filled them many times over. It needs strong leadership and all fans to buy in.

Football fans would rather their own team went to the wall than a newco Rangers were allowed into the SPL.

2020 and we are still here. %^*& the rest of them. Enjoy taking up tiddly winks when your team is gubbed.

The same way Scottish Football wasn’t embarrassed to have a non competitive league for 4 years when they couldn’t wait to put us in the lower leagues. They didn’t seem to embarrassed then. Sympathy was in short supply back then, we took blow after blow after endless blow. So forgive me if I couldn’t give a flying fck about the rest of the teams up here & I certainly won’t feel embarrassed about that.

Last edited:
If we were as well off as Bayern Munich then perhaps we would be more altruistic. Sadly we aint. And we also remember other clubs treatment of us in 2012.

It won’t happen as there’s just too much hatred against us,even if we tried to help the mhedia would find a negative slant to put on it and beat us with so it’s not worth our hassle I’m afraid.

It won’t happen of course as they don’t want us,but we could badly do with joining the English leagues as I fear domestically the game here is in many ways beyond repair.

There are human beings out there who have no money coming in. Food banks are drying up and need food BADLY. And this pathetic journalist is suggesting Rangers & Celtic give clubs like Aberdeen millions of pounds?

Where in the fk is this journalists priorities? When Bayern gave Dortmund £2m, there wasnt a covid19 epidemic decimating families.

If Celtic are as cash rich as they say they are, they should go back to their roots and empty that cash at bank on starving fans.

If they go back to their roots, it will be only RC fans they help out.

nJwbr2g.jpg

Simples
They can all F*CK OFF !

1) we’re not nearly well off enough to help any other clubs, in fact I’ll bet we’ll struggle badly ourselves for the remainder of the year.

2) that being said, if Scotland’s most cash rich club want to help out then they can, thing is they’ve been far too busy working behind the scenes to make sure they’re awarding a title they didn’t win to really think about the overall state of the league going forward

3) every other club in the league wanted to see us ground to dust in 2012 and they all did their part to try and make that happen, so why the fùck would our club or us as fans want to see the rest of these clubs receive help? Delusional, the reality is most of us will chuckle at these scum clubs, and rightly so because that’s sweet karma.

An article written with bitterness and spite.
The journalist is trying and failing to portray himself as thoughtful and caring, but it's primarily a criticism of us, he has thrown in sex offender f.c in an attempt to portray neutrality.
Since 2012 the most talked about issue in Scottish football has been our financial situation.
Every tuppence ha'penny rent a quote and self appointed moral guardian whether they were a Scottish sports journalist or urine stained Jaikie suddenly became a chartered accountant or tax lawyer.
Most of these clubs and their fans tried very hard to send us the way of Third Lanark, yet we expected to offer assistance to them?
Most of these clubs refuse to help themselves by having empty seats rather than sell to a paying customer.
Their financial situation is of their own making.
Don't give them a penny.

Reactions: SSR
Bit early for April fools.

The journalist that wrote that piece is absolutely clueless and devoid of reality.

Back