Alfie’s reaction to being substituted.

Ryan Kent created the 3rd goal that Arfield scored from outside of the box, let's stop making things up.
Morelos dropped out the box, his first touch was a flick inside to Kent and Morelos ran back into the box taking a defender with him, Kent passed it to Arfield and there was a big gap in the middle of the box. I think the player who gets closest to Arfield is the one who had originally started going back into the box to cover Morelos. If you want you can watch the goal back then apologise.

Without the deflection i think the shot had a good chance of going in the opposite corner, looked a cracking effort from behind.

Id rather that than waiting to get on phone as soon as say down.

He's unhappy at not scoring mccoist said he was the same and it shows what scoring means to him.

His presence is showing others to play except he's not out main focus our third goal was partly because two or three sheep were watching him and were out of position when it didn't go that way.

I think he's playing better than done realise

There’s a difference between being annoyed and sitting looking like a petulant child. Being that furious about being subbed when we are 4-0 up and playing well makes me think he plays for himself and not the team.

He’s not playing well and his style doesn’t suit the way we’re playing now.

Hes a physical player, he likes to be in a battle. The 1 or 2 touch pass and move game we play around the box now doesn’t suit him at all.

He's always been stroppy when subbed but as long as he keeps contributing to the cause without disrupting the dressing room,then im fine with it.

There’s a difference between being annoyed and sitting looking like a petulant child. Being that furious about being subbed when we are 4-0 up and playing well makes me think he plays for himself and not the team.

Hes a physical player, he likes to be in a battle. The 1 or 2 touch pass and move game we play around the box now doesn’t suit him at all.
ask Gerrard if hed rather have a striker happy to come off or one who reacts like Alfie, i guarantee I know what the answer will be.

we've scored 12 goals in 2 games and he hasn't scored any of them

say that last season and you'd have thought he'd have at least half of them with the way we relied on him for goals, he wants to get on the scoresheet

Morelos dropped out the box, his first touch was a flick inside to Kent and Morelos ran back into the box taking a defender with him, Kent passed it to Arfield and there was a big gap in the middle of the box. I think the player who gets closest to Arfield is the one who had originally started going back into the box to cover Morelos. If you want you can watch the goal back then apologise.

Without the deflection i think the shot had a good chance of going in the opposite corner, looked a cracking effort from behind.

Hes dropping deeper this season. Hes clearly been asked to mate. Its obvious. We are essentially positionless across the front 3 and its working.

If anything Alfie should be commended. Hes sacrificing his personal stats for the betterment of the team. Look at Kent 1st chance btw. Classic example of what I mean.

I think Alfie is a better striker in and around the penalty area, I dont think thats even a debate. He isn't the type of player who can pick a ball up 35yrds from goal, and turn, drive forward and make a telling pass. He is doing that to pull players out of position, and its working, and its because he has been asked to do it, and unselfishly he is complying.

This is a team game, and the team is at the highest level of quality play ive seen in 20yrs. I understand a forum is a place for debate, so I get why folk want to discuss it, but honestly I'm too buzzing to care about stuff like this today.

He’s normally at his best with a bee in his bunnet, either that or away to stick the heid on someone

He is always like that when he's subbed but not scored.

It's a good thing.
He’s like that when he has scored as well.

The lad wants to play, he wants to be on the pitch for the next chance to come. Saying that, his growing maturity as a team player was picking out Arfield with a lovely cross box pass instead of a low chance shot of his own.

As said, if he looked happy to get off the pitch we’d have more to worry about.

His all round play has improved this season, he will start scoring regular at some point. Unlike last season we have players chipping in when he doesn’t score

If we have a motivated Alfredo desperate to prove a point then I’m happy with that. In any case we get far more from Alfredo than just goals.

ask Gerrard if hed rather have a striker happy to come off or one who reacts like Alfie, i guarantee I know what the answer will be.

Yeah because Gerrard has never had an issue with how Alfie has reacted to things before.

Alfie, of course, can do no wrong in some peoples eyes.

Yeah because Gerrard has never had an issue with how Alfie has reacted to things before.

Alfie, of course, can do no wrong in some peoples eyes.
thats nonsense mate, if he does something wrong he gets criticised for it, today he did nothing wrong, it seems some just want an excuse to have a go at him.

I actually think that is the reaction SG wants from a player getting pulled.

AM was pissed off at himself, no one else. That is exactly what he needs to be coming off early after not scoring.

Wouldn't be the first time SG and his back room staff were having a giggle as AM stormed past them beeling :D
Yep, no manager would want to see a player happy to come off really if they felt they should still be on, in particular a striker hungry for goals. It might look petulant but I'm also sure gerrard probably enjoys seeing it and now knows how to channel that reaction into the next match, a huge one v benfica.

Alfredo has and needs that edge. Right choice to give him a break, especially against they antagonising bastards as it'd have been a matter of time cos they couldn't win the match or get near us that they'd have singled out Alfie for a reaction.

Can just see how the Morelos detractors want to see him going off:- "Let's shake hands gaffer I am so delighted you have taken me off!!!"

thats nonsense mate, if he does something wrong he gets criticised for it, today he did nothing wrong, it seems some just want an excuse to have a go at him.

You mean except for giving the ball away on numerous occasions allowing Aberdeen to counter on us and generally play poorly like he did today?

Yet loads of people are trying to say he played well. Probably the same people who were convinced the Jack/Kamara midfield was great at the start of the season.

He hates the sheep, anyone that can’t see that is blind. He has a lot of history playing them so of course he is disappointed about being subbed.

for what it’s worth I would love to see him score more goals, who wouldn’t but his contribution should not be underestimated and even though he never scored in the last game against Celtic he was arguably MOTM the wat he bullied there back line

You mean except for giving the ball away on numerous occasions allowing Aberdeen to counter on us and generally play poorly like he did today?

Yet loads of people are trying to say he played well. Probably the same people who were convinced the Jack/Kamara midfield was great at the start of the season.
yes he gave the ball away but Tav did twice as did Kent and Balogun, we won 4 zip, have a night off and enjoy it.

Seems like not only the media and referees treat him differently

he should be unhappy and anyone with half a brain can see he’s been asked to drop deeper to create the space in behind a very unselfish role

love Alfie always will

Good reaction and as McCoist pointed out in commentary, this is exactly what he was like and how any good striker should be.

That's exactly what I was going to post -- to paraphrase Ally "Every striker is like that when they're subbed and haven't scored."

He also mentioned that when he did similar (when being subbed) it was either Walter or Souness telling him to "shut up and sit down".

Ally was very complimentary about the work that Alfie was doing on-field, in dragging players out of position.

We might eventually see Alfie's fully-recognised future game (with his next clubs) as being mainly the forward provider, rather than the actual centre-forward striker.
It certainly looks as if SG sees him in such a role.

That includes Boyd and Ally. Who are we going to believe, them (even Ally can be very critical of him) or someone who’s been sniping away at Morelos for years now and has spent a lot of time trying to downplay most of his contributions in his time here?

You say he can do no wrong in some peoples eyes but you say it on a day where he’s taken ridiculous criticism for misplacing a few passes and looking unhappy at being subbed. It’s the usual bollocks from the usual snipers.

Seems like not only the media and referees treat him differently

he should be unhappy and anyone with half a brain can see he’s been asked to drop deeper to create the space in behind a very unselfish role

love Alfie always will

100%. kris boyd must see this surely? comes deep and draws them out and like today. roofe, kent, aribo et al get space

yes he gave the ball away but Tav did twice as did Kent and Balogun, we won 4 zip, have a night off and enjoy it.

So Morelos played the same as everyone else. Got it.

I’m more than happy with the results and performances. There is nothing wrong with pointing out that a player hasn’t play well, is petulant or doesn’t fit the teams style however.

I think Gerrard will quite like that reaction tbh. Shouldn't be happy t on come off. He wasn't disrespectful to the manager by exchanging words with him and he shook Defoe's hand as they went off.

That includes Boyd and Ally. Who are we going to believe, them (even Ally can be very critical of him) or someone who’s been sniping away at Morelos for years now and has spent a lot of time trying to downplay most of his contributions in his time here?

You say he can do no wrong in some peoples eyes but you say it on a day where he’s taken ridiculous criticism for misplacing a few passes and looking unhappy at being subbed. It’s the usual bollocks from the usual snipers.

When did Boyd say he played well? Anyone taking Ally’s opinions seriously needs help tbh. He showed during his time with us that he has no clue how to set up a team.

I praise Morelos when he deserves it (such as the Benfica game) and I criticise him when he deserves it (such as today).

You will defend him regardless so it’s pointless even debating with you about him anymore.

Yep, no manager would want to see a player happy to come off really if they felt they should still be on, in particular a striker hungry for goals. It might look petulant but I'm also sure gerrard probably enjoys seeing it and now knows how to channel that reaction into the next match, a huge one v benfica.

Alfredo has and needs that edge. Right choice to give him a break, especially against they antagonising bastards as it'd have been a matter of time cos they couldn't win the match or get near us that they'd have singled out Alfie for a reaction.
I think Alfie has been instructed to play a different kind of game due to refs and players targeting him. That is pretty obvious.

This is going to sound stupid, he is a striker after all, but watching him now for me, he is a couple of levels above the old Alfie. A much more rounded player. Yet there isn't any goals...

If he can add goals to this new game of his? He would be priceless.

He has went from being our main goal threat to a team player and with his new game plan, almost a project player. That is quite something for a guy who is worth what he is.

If we can complete this next phase of his development successfully we have some player on our hands!

Dont like to see that reaction from any player.Total disrespect to the manager and his team mates.
If he'd only take time to think,he'd see the positive of getting a break before Thurs nightwhen i'd say he's a cert to start and also look at else came off too.
Honestly don't think he'll ever change his grumpy attitude .
Actually had a decent game pulling their defence all over the place to make space for others but thats what he's supposed to do anyhow,usual few slack passes aside right enough .

He cares which is a good thing. Thankfully the squad and the team don't need morelos to be the only scorer, this is also good for morelos less pressure on his temperament. He just wants to score against the sheep shaggers

He wasn’t happy. That’s good. He want to improve and score goals.

He probably hates Aberdeen as much as any of us and was annoyed about the fact that he did not score against them.

If we are talking body language, Kent was not happy either at coming off.

The manager clarified that some players who had travelled during International breaks required to be managed.

Didn't work out too bad for the 3rd goal today or at the piggery for him to lay it back into Arfields path with the 1 or 2 touch passing.

He fits in the team fine and he might not be playing well but he's not playing as an out and out striker anymore.

Don't have an issue with him going off unhappy either you wouldn't expect a striker who hasn't scored to be happy about coming off.

i think its because he knows its more about the team than about alfie ........... bet he was happier at this stage last season from a personal point of view

Looked really disappointed being brought off,huffy if you like.
Do you see this as a good reaction? or is it a bit concerning that he might go into huffs for other matters.
He was substituted along with Kent and Ryan was totally different.
Or could he have been disappointed he never scored.
Am happy hes raging,a good sign

My feeling is that he was pissed off not so much that he didn’t score, rather that he felt he wasn’t getting chances or carrying a goal threat today. The role he is playing just now sacrifices some of that part of his game, and I guess he’s not totally happy about it.

No player should be happy to be subbed so Alfie showing he wasnt happy is only a good thing and anyone interpreting in any other way is just wrong

Back