Morelos or Jelavic As Our Striker?

• Alfredo

Votes: 223 46.9%
  • Nikica

Votes: 252 53.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

E10H

I have to start this thread by saying I would adopt Alfie, but...

Would we swap Alfie just now for Jela in his pomp?

Alfredo Morelos played 68 games and 33 goals, 1 in 2.

Nikica Jelavic played 45 games and 30 goals, 2 in 3.

Worth discussing? :)

It’s a really difficult question, I basically only voted for Morelos because of his age and because he’s our current striker but I couldn’t really answer it.

Jealvic was capabale of moments of absolute brilliance and he could do it at big moments. But he played in a much better Rangers side and I think Morelos is a much bigger nightmare for defenders overall, and his potential given his age is huge.

No crystal ball claims but I expect Alfredo to go on to an even bigger career than NJ - much as I enjoyed his time at Rangers. Hopefully Alfredo will be with us long enough to build a solid foundation for what is to come, and to leave us as reigning champions with a fat bank account balance!

Alfie every day of the week. Jelavic although a good player usually started well at clubs then faded.

Also there was rumours he was working his ticket out of Ibrox, also iirc was quite vocal to get his move to Rangers

Jelavic was better than Morelos and I don’t think it’s that close at the moment.

Morelos has the potential to play at a similar level, maybe even higher, than Jelavic but right now he’s not on the same level as Jelavic was.

I think people forget just how good Jelavic was for us.

I read that on here so it may well be. I can’t think of a goal he scored for us where he took more than one touch though.

Controlled on his chest before overhead kicking it at Pittodrie. Rounded the keeper at fester road, and he took a touch to control before scoring against Hearts at Ibrox. I’m sure there’ll be more too.

Jelavic was better than Morelos and I don’t think it’s that close at the moment.

Morelos has the potential to play at a similar level, maybe even higher, than Jelavic but right now he’s not on the same level as Jelavic was.

I think people forget just how good Jelavic was for us.

You can almost hear the collective gasp at that revelation.

They’d be some pairing, that’s for sure.

There certainly isn’t the disparity in abilities that I would have shouted about during July.

Jelavic has that finesse about his game. He was a bit of a genius.

Alfie is unbelievable for his age. He’s. year older than Hardie. We sometimes need to remember what we have at such a young age.

Controlled on his chest before overhead kicking it at Pittodrie. Rounded the keeper at fester road, and he took a touch to control before scoring against Hearts at Ibrox. I’m sure there’ll be more too.

I stand corrected. Those were the only ones. 33/36 were one touch finishes :p

It's difficult to say. Jelavic was class before he dropped in form in his last season with us. Morelos started with a blinder then faded & has picked back up again. He's not on par with Jelavic when he was on fire but Morelos has much more potential.

I'm on the fence.

Jelavic for me, what a player he was, Morelos still has plenty of time ahead to get to that level or above but at the Moment Jelavic was a better player

Different types of striker Imo - Jelavic shades it.

Jelavic was much more of a natural finisher. Was brilliant at placing the ball instead of always lace through it.

Alfie does much more running the channels, which is great, but in our system means that our striker is in the wide position, not in the box.

If alfie had jelavic's finishing and composure he'd be right up there with the very very best of them.

It’s a really difficult question, I basically only voted for Morelos because of his age and because he’s our current striker but I couldn’t really answer it.

Jealvic was capabale of moments of absolute brilliance and he could do it at big moments. But he played in a much better Rangers side and I think Morelos is a much bigger nightmare for defenders overall, and his potential given his age is huge.

Jelavic was more technically gifted, that chance Candeias created on Sunday would have been volleyed into the top corner by Jelavic for example. Alfie, whilst still being skilful, brings absolute chaos with his style. Both were/are fantastic to watch.

Alfredo, his overall play is much better, his ability to lead the line and bully any defence. His age, his potential.

Alfredo as he occupies a back four on his own and plays in an inferior team though it is getting there.

His effort is incredible.

Genuinely didn't notice the jelavic one touch thing until now :eek::D

The only time he took a touch was when it was absolutely necessary.

Jelavic just shades it for me just now, but 1 more season and Morellos will surpass him. Alfie is still young and not the finished article yet

Good debate!
At this precise moment and taking their respective importance within the team, team set up, age at club, value for money and what profit he will bring the club from sell on value as much as I loved Jelavic (who was a more clinical finisher). - I would have to go with Morelos.

Morellos brings with him a great big bag of potential, which none of us can possibly foresee where it will take him. I am foaming at the mouth with anticipation.

Cmon Alfie, get in tae that big lump McKenna tonight, see if he greets like Berra!!

I voted Morelos for precisely the same reasons. Hopefully we can hold onto him for as long as possible.

Right now in ability it's jelavic. And I don't think it's that close either to be honest.

Potentially morelos could be better though, he's still young and the improvement this season alone has been huge.

Jelavic for me and I say that as a massive fan of Alfie.

By the time Alfie is the age Jelavic was when playing for us (25/26) he may well be better though.

I prefer Morelos to Jelavic in the role he plays just now, but Jelavic was much more of the finished article when we got him.

Also noteworthy that Jelavic took a good few penalties, Alfredo has never taken a penalty for us.

I love Alfie but Jelavic all day long.

But I reckon Morelos will play at a higher level eventually.

I'm warming to fredo in the same way I did jelavic.

This season's Alfredo is a different animal to the one we seen last year and last year's was certainly no slouch. 17 in december? If he avoids suspension and jealous hammertrowing no mark players tackles who knows what Hel finish with

As great as Morelos has been for us, he still has a little bit to go before his overall game is as polished as Jelavic’s was, but then he’s still only 22.

He certainly has the potential to be a better player.

Jelavic at his best for us is better than Morelos at his best for us.

That said - Morelos could still get better. Ask this question in a couple of years if Morelos is still around and we might have a different answer.

I love the wee man he's been excellent for us but Jelavic was a special special player. The start he made at Everton was exactly what I expected of him. That form tailed off though and I was genuinely shocked he never had more of a career down there.

I honestly believed we would be watching Jelavic in a man u or a Juventus shirt in future years his technique was that good. Let's hope wee Alfredo goes onto have a career to eclipse big Nikica.

Morelos has more potential IMO.

However if I could Alfie for the Jelavic we had then I'd take Jelavic.

Awesome finisher.

Purely football I'd say jelavic but for the good of the club I'd definitely say Alfredo. He's doing us a turn as our no1 striker and we will almost certainly make a killing off him.

Jelavic was one of this special players though, he just had that extra few percent in quality which allowed him to score goals from not a lot.

As others have said though, you need to take into the age difference. I'm not convinced jelavic would have been so effective if we had him at alfredo's age

You can almost hear the collective gasp at that revelation.

Yeah I suppose I should say Morelos is exactly the same, or better, then a guy who was the best player in a league winning team, scored multiple old firm goals, cup final winners, free kick etc just because you seem to be building some narrative that I hate Morelos.

I notice that you selectively choose what you’re quoting now because it doesn’t fit your weird obsession of my opinion on Morelos.

I loved Jelavic but he did'nt stay with us long enough.I like Alfie too but I think he's gone in January.If we got 15-20 mil for him I'd take it.

Right now - Jelavic.
In 2-3 years - Alfredo.
I say that as Alfredo has the potential to learn the 1 touch finishing (like the one he missed vs Hearts, Jelavic did score that goal). If he can learn that then I really don’t think there’s any question given everything else in his locker.
One thing I’ll say is Jelavic should’ve played at the highest level a lot longer but money talks.

Back