Andy King on loan

Status
Not open for further replies.
He won 3 different league titles with Leicester, one them being the premiership , so he’s been part of league winning squads, let’s hope he adds the SPL to it with 55

Realistically it would only be 6-8 games less.
Totally but with the 2 games a week and travelling it’s pretty constant. Once we were out last year. The team became a lot more settled. Heaven forbid if we get papped out tonight or next round we might find a big squad a bit less useful. That’s the gamble I guess, I’m not going to lose any sleep over it anyway. Would be good to get the surplus out the door permanently though.

A few folk also saying Docherty has improved during his loan spell. In truth there is nothing yet to base that on as we have seen very little of him so far this season.

I am sure he has improved since his loan but if he has not improved to be a better player than the guys in front of him then why the big push to keep and play?? It baffles me.

Stevie G sees him every day and is not selecting him, that tells me he is either not ready and may need to go back out on loan to develop or we move him on if we feel he wont get to the levels we need.

Its not personal, he seems a great kid as does Ross M but they have to be able to compete at the highest level we can get players at.

Have Nigeria got many games coming up given Aribos call up? They play in different slots sometimes and if he is on the fringes he will want to go. King covers that option happening.

Gerrard said Stewart could play up front in that system if we were stuck.

I am sure he has improved since his loan but if he has not improved to be a better player than the guys in front of him then why the big push to keep and play?? It baffles me.

Stevie G sees him every day and is not selecting him, that tells me he is either not ready and may need to go back out on loan to develop or we move him on if we feel he wont get to the levels we need.

Its not personal, he seems a great kid as does Ross M but they have to be able to compete at the highest level we can get players at.

It could be that Gerrard, like most of us, is still unsure of Dochertys level. It's one thing to watch a player in training, its another to see him play a friendly game, yet another to see him play in an all important competitive fixture. So far Dochertys game time in important competitive fixtures this season has been limited. This could be because Gerrard doesn't rate him, or it could be simply that Gerrard is relying on the players he knows best - last season's midfield + our 'big money' signing Joe Aribo.

I am making no judgement on Docherty here. He could turn into a mainstay of our midfield this season, or he could be a bit part player.

It could be that Gerrard, like most of us, is still unsure of Dochertys level. It's one thing to watch a player in training, its another to see him play a friendly game, yet another to see him play in an all important competitive fixture. So far Dochertys game time in important competitive fixtures this season has been limited. This could be because Gerrard doesn't rate him, or it could be simply that Gerrard is relying on the players he knows best - last season's midfield + our 'big money' signing Joe Aribo.

I am making no judgement on Docherty here. He could turn into a mainstay of our midfield this season, or he could be a bit part player.

I think you are bang on mate.

Maybe a wee loan deal in a more technical league (like Holland), with plenty of game time, would benefit him. We all know how committed and fit he is, but add that(technical ability) to his game and we could have massive player on our hands.

That said, I know very little about Andy King

For a start we have two recognised strikers.. If one picks up a long term injury we're in trouble.

We have a RB shoehorned into LB because he doesn't trust a Croatian international LB. Dreadful and will cost us if it's not addressed.

We have 8 players in the squad who can play central midfield if needs must. I'm not against it but make no mistake it is a bizarre signing.
What’s the difference between “shoehorning a right back into left back” and playing somebody in midfield because they can when it clearly isn’t his first choice position”?
I can accept the position wasn’t priority number one but it was still required and the opportunity of King’s quality and experience too good to miss out on.

Don’t know enough about King to comment on him specifically. However, the size of our squad does seem to be excessive. Players need to play to be match fit and even allowing for injuries and suspensions,, we seem to have more than we need. Obviously, this impacts the wage bill. While I am very much an admirer of SG, just feel that signings such as King, Barker etc fall in to the nice to have category rather than being essential or even necessary.

Don’t know enough about King to comment on him specifically. However, the size of our squad does seem to be excessive. Players need to play to be match fit and even allowing for injuries and suspensions,, we seem to have more than we need. Obviously, this impacts the wage bill. While I am very much an admirer of SG, just feel that signings such as King, Barker etc fall in to the nice to have category rather than being essential or even necessary.

i think a few will go tbh

Don’t agree with this as Defoe is not capable of playing 90 minutes week after week if Morelos gets a bad injury. We can only recruit in one window during the season. If Morelos picks up an injury early in either period it could be a disaster for us. We can’t win this league with just Defoe and a midfielder helping out.

Also with Alfie’s disciplinary record it’s possible even without injury we could easily be in a situation like last season playing crucial games with no natural striking options up front. We seen this costing us last season.

As others have said, Defoe did it last season for a month and a half.

The issue with getting a third striker is that we would be buying someone to sit in the stands and maybe play a handful of games as a sub. Who are we recruiting for that profile who is better than Stewart (a striker), Ojo, Rudden or Mebude? If we got a superstar to do it then that would be lovely. But we won’t. If we got a player good enough to drop Morelos or Defoe down the pecking order then even better. But that’s even less likely.

If we get a third striker then it would be a youth or a journeyman. And I can see why that is not a priority.

As I said, it the same with goalkeepers. Most clubs have 2 very decent goalkeepers. Almost none have 3.

Last edited:
If you don't know anything about King how can you say he falls into the nice to have category ? i am sure Gerrard has a completely different view altogether and both he and Barker will play a big part

We will have a King & and a Jack in our team.

You just know their be some terrible pun headlines in the paper this year.

We will have a King & and a Jack in our team.

You just know their be some terrible pun headlines in the paper this year.

Probably when the scum announce the "queen" in their squad to make more love me love friends of the good old cuddly IRA lovers and paedo harbourers

Sutton once said that the mhanks reserve team was bigger than Leicester.

Seems they haven't forgotten. Still, it's always good to read that scumbag getting it tight

They seem to really rate King.

I’m sure the Leicester City fans also witnessed the vitriol fired at Rodgers from the scum a few months ago when he left Glasgow to join their club mate.

The more I hear and think about this deal, the more I absolutely love it
I suspect this is what the manager was referring to in the press conference yesterday when he talked about ‘bargains’
If King was supposed to be going to Hibs he can’t be costing more than £2k per week and at that level the loan makes sense.

We paid a heavy price last season by bringing in players in the new year window who weren’t up to speed. Wonder if the idea this time is to get everything in order from the get-go and have a squad that will see the entire season out with no need for reinforcements in Jan?

If you don't know anything about King how can you say he falls into the nice to have category ? i am sure Gerrard has a completely different view altogether and both he and Barker will play a big part
My reservation was based on the number of midfielders we already have. In response to your opening question Recoba, guess that my lack of knowledge concerning King is possibly matched by your belief that both King and Barker will play a big part. Anyway, I am sure we both only want what is best for Rangers.

My reservation was based on the number of midfielders we already have. In response to your opening question Recoba, guess that my lack of knowledge concerning King is possibly matched by your belief that both King and Barker will play a big part. Anyway, I am sure we both only want what is best for Rangers.
Of course we do, thats not in question here i just don't believe that Gerrard sign's people just because its nice to have the option, my belief is that Barker/King will have a big part to play this season, especially if we get through to the group stages.

It would be nice to trim the squad though as we are very big on numbers but we have great quality in the squad now which is amazing.

Evening FF!

Appreciate all the responses :)

Understand the doubters early on as it was my first post but I've been a long time lurker and when my pal told me this morning, it seemed like the right thing to do.

All we want is 55 and for us to achieve that, we need strength and experience in our squad and Kingy will give us just that. A player like him will never be a negative addition to our club. I also admire the fact that he could of sat back, not played at Leicester and still been paid 40k a week but instead he's making the move to Glasgow and playing for the biggest club in the world!

Buzzing.

Seb

P.S. I'm on the new series of Take Me Out, which airs this Autumn. I'm on episode 5 and I come down the lift to a song I'm sure everyone on here will appreciate ;)

Ooft! Good luck OP. You better not have wearing some shite threads and have some gimpy hairdo or the Lounge Lizards will eat you up.

Good luck and I hope you got yer hole.

Penny Arcade the song?

Of course we do, thats not in question here i just don't believe that Gerrard sign's people just because its nice to have the option, my belief is that Barker/King will have a big part to play this season, especially if we get through to the group stages.

It would be nice to trim the squad though as we are very big on numbers but we have great quality in the squad now which is amazing.

I agree. Gerrard is not stupid enough to be stockpiling players. He’s said (about our wide players) that he wants to have options to overcome all challenges.

I’m sure the team have a plan that will play out over the next 12 months. I think a lot of players are out of contract next summer so by maybe taking in 2/3 extra players this summer it gives us more options now and makes us more settled in 12 months.

Hi all,

First time poster but I thought I’d share some news.

A good friend of mine is best mates with Andy King and it’s a done deal to Rangers on loan, he’s in Manchester having a medical now.

He hasn’t been named in Leicester’s squad and wants to play football. He was supposed to go to Hibs but apparently we wanted him.

Good addition to the squad!

Seb
Well done op you nailed it

In Rangers case it always should be about quality, not quantity. But it's a long season, and when we need numbers it's nice to know there comes to quality as well. Of course there's limits in the squad size and everyone needs to have a proper role in the team, but I'm sure Gerrard/Allen whoever has thought about that and has plans giving everyone the role they need.
(c)Andy King is experienced player and proven winner. In midfield we have lot of young potential, that have driving energy, but is also very fragile. Why not add there something new :) Welcome 55!

Hi all,

First time poster but I thought I’d share some news.

A good friend of mine is best mates with Andy King and it’s a done deal to Rangers on loan, he’s in Manchester having a medical now.

He hasn’t been named in Leicester’s squad and wants to play football. He was supposed to go to Hibs but apparently we wanted him.

Good addition to the squad!

Seb

I hold my hands up and retract my Declan comment :)

He's not playing much because we have a good and settled midfield, zero reason to change that so early in the season and Aribo is in his spot. He'll start on the weekend anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back