Archie McPherson or Arthur Montford ?

Legends the pair of them, the game is worse off without them. Archie by a whisker, Montfort seemed to pause a little too long, whereas Archie’s commentary flowed a tad better. You knew you were in good hands when it was Rangers ( or Scotland) and either were on the mic.

I would definitely agree with this, certainly the Paul McStay part anyway. All players were referred to by their surnames, but McStay was always Paul McStay. Paul potential.

I have to say though, for whatever reason, I preferred Jock Brown as a commentator. In the 2-2 game when Gough scored the goal that broke the sound barrier, Brown said during the red cards "Incredible drama here at Ibrox"
I happened to watch a clip on the Rangers Archives on facebook the other day, and it was when we beat Hamilton 2-0 and had Roberts and Durrant sent off in the 86-87 season. Brown was the commentator, and I'm sure when Durrant was sent off, he said the exact same line...."Incredible drama here at Ibrox":))
Jock Brown’s hatred of Rangers was clear in many of his commentaries.

Archie was brilliant. Pompous, but sometimes that was the best bit about him. Too young to remember Arthur Montford as a commentator but remember him as the anchor on Scotsport with Jock Brown commentating.

Two Scottish legends, one no longer with us.
When we listen to the garbage commentary on our tellys these day with Rob 'zzzzzzz' MacLean and Ian Croak-a-shit, do some of us hanker for the older commentary styles.

So who did you prefer Archie 'Woooof' McPherson or Arthur 'Up go the heads' Montford ?
Archie IMO. He was the voice of Scottish football for me. Can’t stand the current crop.

Ahhhhh memories.

Whit a strip.

Whit a commentary.

Whit a support.

Whit a shithole

Whit a disability cars by the pitch.

Glorious times (apart from the dropped point). * It was a point, young team. Not 'dropped points'.

Liked them both, Archie had great character and I thought Arthur was a bit more serious but it was a long time ago so my memory maybe a bit fuzzy.

I was always a fan of Jock Brown. Love his commentary of the 5-1 game. "A goal made in England....". Then he quit and went and became General Manager for the dark side !

Jock Brown’s hatred of Rangers was clear in many of his commentaries.
I would say you could say that for all of them. Archie when they won the double in 87-88 was so far up Paul McStay's pipe it was unreal. I thought Archie hated us back then. Other than Tom Miller, I've never really listened to a commentator and thought he was a bear.
The best neutral commentators I have heard were Peter Drury and the Irishman Jim Beglin on our UEFA Cup run. They were neutral, but actually seemed like they wanted us to win and were always fair and complimentary towards our players.

Played golf with both on separate occasions. Arthur was certainly the better golfer.
Enjoyed each of their company, quite a surreal feeling ,hearing normal golf terms like 'good shot' , 'unlucky just wide' in their commentators voices - guess you had to be there

Last edited:
Thinking back to the halcyon days of proper old school commentators, anybody remember Alex Cameron getting trodden on by a massive police horse on live TV after a Scotland game? One of the funniest TV “moments” I’ve ever seen!
:))

Was Archie McPherson and Jock Brown when I was growing up. Before he left to take up a post with the yahoos.

“a goal of supreme quality” or “goal of genuine quality” we Brown’s go to saying after a goal!!

Thinking back to the halcyon days of proper old school commentators, anybody remember Alex Cameron getting trodden on by a massive police horse on live TV after a Scotland game? One of the funniest TV “moments” I’ve ever seen!
:))
I remember that He had his back to the horse and his face was a picture as he had no idea what had just walked in to him

Was it not Archie commenting on Konterman’s goal against Celtic in the CIS cup semi in 2002?

“ Arveladze, there’s Konterman, oooh what a goal!”

For that alone Archie.

Easily Archie. Arthur always preferred curling from Crossmyloof to a stramash in the box anyway:D

Archie.
Used to enjoy the odd frolic with his niece in my youth.
"He looks as though he's about to let fly"
And I did.
Sorry no pics.

Archie, no contest. Actually wonder how Montford lasted in the job so long.
I think they were both quite representative of their respective channels - Archie pompous, serious and professional, Arthur homely, hand-knitted and amateurish.

archie by the proverbial mile montford had no excitement in his voice it was as if he was reading a book at the time and occasionally watching the game very dour imo obviously

I was always a fan of Jock Brown. Love his commentary of the 5-1 game. "A goal made in England....". Then he quit and went and became General Manager for the dark side !
Every commentator has a phrase you associate with him alone. The phrase I most associate with Jock Brown in Old Firm games is “Celtic nursing a strong sense of injustice”.
He could never forget he was a lawyer.

Every commentator has a phrase you associate with him alone. The phrase I most associate with Jock Brown in Old Firm games is “Celtic nursing a strong sense of injustice”.
He could never forget he was a lawyer.
or hated the bears ive listened to his commentary's he cant hide it the fact he got a job at that place proves it

Has to be Archie for me. Can’t believe he’s still alive as it feels he’s been living for years!.

As for Arthur I used to work with his son Ewen.

Back