Are Pena and Herrera done?

I am always amazed at how the two Mexicans are so easily written off. Pena has scored more in a hand full of starts than Windass has in two years and Herrera hasn't been played nearly enough as a striker alongside Morelos to be judged.
The new manager, whoever it is is lucky to have the two of them in the squad and will surely give them the same opportunity to show what they can do as everyone else.

That'll be up to the new manager/coach.

A clean slate for everyone beckons (as it should). In fact DM (or whoever) should see it as a challenge to boost his credentials if he can bring these guys to the fore. Might fail but I would think it would be incumbent on him to try.

I actually like herrera he holds the ball up well and has proved if given half a chance he has a decent finish he links up well .pena the jury is still out yes hes scored 4 goals but he still doesnt do enough in the middle of the park for me

"Tactical "happy with 3-0.

No. It wasn't.
Murty going for the far quicker player with Thistle playing a high line.

Herrara has shown pretty much nothing so far. Never wins a header. Can't hold it up and is too slow.

I'd like to have seen Pena play in front of Miller in his position yesterday. Even coming on as a sub at 60. He has something about him going forward. Seems to get into the positions we were lacking yesterday at a lot of the balls into the box.

Is he injured right now?

I wouldn't read too much into who Murty is picking.

He seems to be going with people he knows and knows how he wants to play, as much as he can. Rightly so as he is only temporary and wants to get through without any hiccups.

It will be down to the new manager if he thinks he can get anything out them.

They both have a decent record on goals scored for pitch time.

Not writing either off yet .

Unlike some other big clubs, we do not have the luxury of signing a couple of players, give them time to settle in and the introduce them to the first team in stages.
We need signings that hit the ground running with maximum effort

Examples

Herrera and Pena ........no time. They may he decent but we cannot carry passengers

Morelos and Candelas.....a little bit and miss but on the whole contribute to the cause. Never give up.

I seen it more as he trust the younger players like Hardie, Barjonas, McCorie as he has worked with them in the development squad and rather play safe with them rather than trying to use Pena and Herrera who haven’t really done much.

All of which is what we’ve wanted for a lot of years.
Give a kid with potential a chance instead of signing an average, in Scottish football terms, player.

Neither look as though they are going to be good enough, especially Pena. Get shot of them, take the hit financially if we have to. To me, those who keep saying there is a player in Pena are in the same boat as those who kept going on about giving Pedro more time. No matter how much you want the guy to succeed, its a 99% chance he will fail.

It looks ominous for them both however let's wait and see what any new manager thinks.

Look at Armstrong at Celtic. Was poor under Ronny and now is a very good player under Brenda.

Not sure how anyone can judge Herrera yet given the lack of game time he's been given

That said, I would have signed Molt at the start of the season rather than him

I feel a bit sorry for Herrera.

His recent appearances have consisted of 5-10 minute sub appearances which is very hard to make any sort of impression on a game. The few times I've seen him on the pitch for any length of time, I think he's looked decent. He was okay in opening game of season against Murderwell (his only start to date I think) and a couple of decent finishes against Ross County and Partick in LC quarter, where he pretty much single handedly turned game in our favour. Probably not a 20 goal a season striker but unlike Pena, I don't think his attitude or commitment can be questioned. Understand him not starting ahead of Morelos (love that wee guy) but unlucky to now be behind Miller and Hardie in pecking order imo.

Would like to see him get a couple of starts in a row to properly judge before writing him off. Not as simple as just lumping him in with Pena as "the Mexicans" and declaring them both flops. Would love them to both stay and prove their worth to the team going forward but let's at least give them a chance post Pedro to see if they can adapt to new manager.

You would assume instruction would be coming down to a temp manager to play them under a DOF structure?

It's hard to see where it goes with them?
Penas boy had a goodbye party at his school the other day so i think he must be done. Not sure about Herrera though.

I'm struggling to think what Pena has done so far to warrant an automatic 1st team place ?
Of course I'm grateful for his goals - but I wonder if they would have been converted by almost anyone in the line-up
I've got more respect for Herrera - well a bit more - he too needs to improve and if in training he isn't quite up to it - then surely it's no wonder GM is leaving him out -
The message to him should be obvious - i.e. get yourself sharper / fitter / eager or you'll remain on the bench or drop out of the squad altogether

I'd like to see more of Herrera to be honest - I think he's looked a decent striker. So, I hope he's not done. Pena I don't know - he's clearly not a bad player but I am not convinced he'll ever really settle down here at all. Holt is already a vastly superior option to Pena in his recent games.

Both are very much Pedro players. However, why Pedro bothered signing Herrera I don't know. It's possible a new manager won't fancy either at all to slot into Rangers.

Herrera is a failed experiment. We should sell him and move on.

The jury is still out, on Pena.
Not really sure how Herrera can be considered a failed experiment at the moment - he hasn't played. Even under the manager who went out his way to buy him. In the very few outings he's had he hasn't looked that bad and has scored a couple of nice goals.

All of which is what we’ve wanted for a lot of years.
Give a kid with potential a chance instead of signing an average, in Scottish football terms, player.

Agree 100%. When you look at who is the best players in this league, most are Scottish and came through youth systems up here. Considering we have one of the best we really should be going ahead and given them the game time. It’s not like many of them have failed us, sure they go off the boil but we should bleeding them in games here and there, until they’re fully ready.

Both will be back in Mexico as soon as their transfer window allows.
If both were showing enough on the training pitch Murty would be playing them

What did Pedro see in Herrera?

No pace, 1/4 goals to games ratio, decent in the air and on the ground.

Hopefully going forward a DOF asks these questions and can give cheaper alternatives

I heard the drugs story for Pena yesterday. Doubt its true but it's strange why he's been out since the semi

I heard the drugs story for Pena yesterday. Doubt its true but it's strange why he's been out since the semi
He was atrocious in the semi final even for his standards. Then we had Killie at home. It was pretty clear that any manager other than Pedro wouldn't suffer him. So it's not strange at all. No need for daft drug rumours to be spread ffs.

Herrera - take what we can for him 1st Jan and use the proceeds to get Moult signed same day.

Pena - think the best we will get is loaning him back to Mexico in Jan - will go down as a terrible signing, they happen and we learn dont gamble again in Mexico ?

The drug story was doing the rounds in Edinburgh last week. Doubt he would have been at the game yesterday if he had failed one tho, I would have thought he would have been suspended by the club?

Back