Are we rushing into this?

It's not quick enough for me.

I'm looking forward to see how Gio, or whoever, sets up the team and whether it will give us a wee boost. Winning the next few games would be an awesome start.

Is this not the point of having a DOF? Surely he'd have been constantly working on a list and updating it routinely on the basis Gerrard could quite literally leave at any time?

I trust Wilson. What he's done in his time in terms of transfers is brilliant. The more I look at Gio the manager who is going to cone and manage a side that won the league by 25 points the more excited I get I honestly think after last season we had gone stale but were doing enough to get by. Gio will launch us again.

I trust Wilson. What he's done in his time in terms of transfers is brilliant. The more I look at Gio the manager who is going to cone and manage a side that won the league by 25 points the more excited I get I honestly think after last season we had gone stale but were doing enough to get by. Gio will launch us again.
I’d actually argue that it’s his first big test, but either way, Gio is an absolutely perfect replacement.

It’s a ridiculously brilliant combination of circumstances, and the rest of Scottish football is spewing at it.

Big clubs dont wait weeks before appointing a new manager, it's done within 3 or 4 days, we made that mistake before, never again, the board knows that.

Has anyone changed their opinion?
Without scrolling the 5 pages to see what I said (so I'm at risk of making a c*nt of myself :))) I think my feelings were that the urgency of the situation called for a quick appointment and that GvB fitted the bill.

I haven't changed that opinion. My opinion of these players is what's changed since Gerrard left, following the Hibs semi and the usual post-January bottle crash.

GvB has inherited a group of players who mostly don't have a strong enough mentality to play for us. We all suspected it, and we all hoped last season's title win meant that wasn't the case, but it's sadly proved beyond doubt now.

Let him get his own guys in this summer and judge him after that.

Without scrolling the 5 pages to see what I said (so I'm at risk of making a c*nt of myself :))) I think my feelings were that the urgency of the situation called for a quick appointment and that GvB fitted the bill.

I haven't changed that opinion. My opinion of these players has is what's changed since Gerrard left, following the Hibs game and the usual post-January bottle crash.

GvB has inherited a group of players who mostly don't have a strong enough mentality to play for us. We all suspected it, and we all hoped last season's title win meant that wasn't the case, but it's sadly proved beyond doubt now.

Let him get his own guys in this summer and judge him after that.
Agreed with your point regarding the players- unfortunately it severely weakens Gio as a manager. He needs to win the SF and finish the league strongly & I'm not sure he can.

Agreed with your point regarding the players- unfortunately it severely weakens Gio as a manager. He needs to win the SF and finish the league strongly & I'm not sure he can.
Why should it weaken him as a manager? Why shouldn't he get the chance to get rid of Gerrard's players and bring in some of his own picks?

No manager brought in mid-season will not get a chance to create a squad of his own making and that will be the case with our manager regardless of what happens the rest of this season.

He'll then live or die on the basis of his squad playing the way he wants them to play.

That is the way it should be and that is the way it will be.

Giovanni van Bronckhorst ticks a lot of boxes,former player,great career,some success at Feynoord and a good % win rate.
To play Devils Advocate for a moment I fear we are rushing to have him appointed ASAP so that the annoyance felt by Gerrard jumping ship mid season is banished to history and we sail off to glory with Gio.
I would much prefer we do our due diligence on him while we have a thorough look at the managerial market and see who we can attract.
Imo we need a sound tactical coach who is not reliant on the chequebook to bring success.There are plenty out there working successfully under financial constraints.
Gio may well turn out to be the man but we should definetly be looking before we leap.
I read that as to play Dick Advocaat. Did wonder what was your point til I read again.

Why should it weaken him as a manager? Why shouldn't he get the chance to get rid of Gerrard's players and bring in some of his own picks?

It makes perfect sense and it's logical to say give him his own players - but if he loses the next 2 old firm games I wouldn't trust him to spend millions (however much) on a rebuild it would become a huge gamble. I guess the next 5-6 weeks we shall see.

Reactions: TN8
I can’t help feeling Knutsen will make it as a top coach, and if we looked at him but decided against it, that will be our “here’s what you could have won” moment, like the speedboat on Bullseye.

Giovanni van Bronckhorst ticks a lot of boxes,former player,great career,some success at Feynoord and a good % win rate.
To play Devils Advocate for a moment I fear we are rushing to have him appointed ASAP so that the annoyance felt by Gerrard jumping ship mid season is banished to history and we sail off to glory with Gio.
I would much prefer we do our due diligence on him while we have a thorough look at the managerial market and see who we can attract.
Imo we need a sound tactical coach who is not reliant on the chequebook to bring success.There are plenty out there working successfully under financial constraints.
Gio may well turn out to be the man but we should definetly be looking before we leap.

Why does being a former player tick a box ??

For the type of boys that like their wife to slip a wee finger up the arse whilst doing the deed and not feeling like they are a bit of a fairy because it’s the wife and not one of the lads ;););););)
I’d never allow this and don’t know any man who would.

I can’t help feeling Knutsen will make it as a top coach, and if we looked at him but decided against it, that will be our “here’s what you could have won” moment, like the speedboat on Bullseye.

He’s the obvious one for me, but of course we would need to understand what his tactic would be to break down a packed penalty box.

SAF didn’t manage it against us when McLeish was our manager at Old Trafford IIRC ?

He’s the obvious one for me, but of course we would need to understand what his tactic would be to break down a packed penalty box.

SAF didn’t manage it against us when McLeish was our manager at Old Trafford IIRC ?
His team probably faces different tactical situations in domestic football than they do Europe, when they weren’t taken seriously.
I imagine Norwegian teams will be setting up against them more defensively than Roma or the mentally challengeds.

It is a tough one. We clearly aren't doing better than we were under the previous staff but I'm not sure we are doing any worse in terms of points. The difference is the other lot are no longer hemorrhaging points and the two OF games.

Them being shite covered a lot of the cracks that were there in the first half of the season. The common issue across both coaching staff is the players.

His team probably faces different tactical situations in domestic football than they do Europe, when they weren’t taken seriously.
I imagine Norwegian teams will be setting up against them more defensively than Roma or the mentally challengeds.

You would think so. I just think a bit of due diligence on that would be vital, but the guy has a lot going for him at face value.

Pragmatic & athletic & seems to be great at player development.

We had to act quick. I don’t know if this thread was started before names were mentioned?

I’d love to know the names on the list or did we just go down the cheap, cheerful and easy route - the man out of work who’s nothing like the previous manager?
Look before you leap,Marry in haste repent at leisure,there are loads of clichés that sum up this situation.I think the Board fearing a backlash from the fans over Stevie Gs departure saw Gio as a replacement that would satisfy most fans,he is a name,ex player with a great career and a degree of managerial success and of course he was available which meant no compensation payment to anyone.
I would have preferred a proper process to find a new manager.
Gio could still turn out to be a success if he is given a budget to bring in his own players,time will tell.

Back