Arfield comments in the sun.

Rev George Walker

Don’t have a link and no C &P since I’m on phone. “I thought Power went for the ball, he caught Jacko and got a yello. I don’t think he tried to take Jackos face off...”
Sometimes I wish our players would just shut the fk up.
Agreed, we can learn somethings from the Bheasts, like falling into line with our stance - after last OF game, all media was full of praise for Beaton, but within 24 hours the CFC board, conscious of the manner of the defeat and that it really was game on for this season, sent the word out and all Tims plus hangers on fell into line immediately.

Rev George Walker

Give it another fortnight and Defoe will be a diver, just like Morelos became a hothead thanks solely to the media.

When this comes to pass, I hope someone in a position to do so points out that 36 year old Jermain Defoe who made his professional debut at the age of 17, and is widely regarded as one of the best strikers of his generation, as well as being an all round good guy, suddenly becomes a diver in the tinpot backwater of Scottish football.

Because they will run with this angle. A throwaway line in a report, a couple of comments by pundits, then Crocker and MacLean start their questioning of every time he's scythed down. After that, BBC Scotland will run a discussion "Defoe - Dynamo or diver?" On this show, Alex Rae, Derek Ferguson and Tom English will give their opinions about how Defoe has always had that side to his game, and he's come up here and thought he'd get away with it against the good honest pros in the SPFL.
Excellent post.

Thommo2006

To be fair I dont think power did go out to injure anyone so on that point I agree with him however it's a red card simply by the fact it's dangerous.

Portrushbear

Don’t have a link and no C &P since I’m on phone. “I thought Power went for the ball, he caught Jacko and got a yello. I don’t think he tried to take Jackos face off...”
It's the truth

Should still have been red, but I don't think there was any real malice in the challenge

Axelrod

It's a red card all day long. It doesn't matter a %^*& if the player is going for the ball. He is seriously endangering an opponent. It is the very definition of serious foul play, regardless if the intent was to kick the player or to win the ball.
Exactly .

Arfield may well be correct in that nobody actually knows what Powers intent was , but every player knows full well that straight legging an opponents head , 5 foot off the ground , is dangerous and wreckless and therefore an instant red card .

Personally I don’t give a shit what game power misses I want him complianced and banned the same way our players are .

Family bam

To be fair I dont think power did go out to injure anyone so on that point I agree with him however it's a red card simply by the fact it's dangerous.
Ask Graham Dorrans about that.

Power's a coward and a thug and imo knew exactly what was likely to happen the way he went into that challenge.

NS.

blue barney

Dorrans has played, what, 10 minutes of football since Power snapped him at Ibrox last season? He's a dirty player, no doubt.
Totally agree, even their supporters see him as a clogger. He Is exactly the kind of player Clarke likes

Blue Steel

I agree with you mate , Arfields opinion matters not a jot . Intent or not he endangered an opponent and should have went , just ask our old friend Michael Stewart FFS .

Commentator

Arfield's been around, he knew what the manager had said and, if he'd thought about it for a minute must have known that the mhedia wil run with this. Gerrard will be probed about it first chance they get.
He's an idiot.

Teddy bear

What's wrong with that?
That's exactly what happened.
It doesn't mean it wasn't a red card.

StuGers

StuGers

“I don’t think he tried to tak Jackos face off” is the line that’s causing the issues for folk but if you are being brutally honest he didn’t, his actions can’t been deemed as him trying to kick Jack. Nobody can say he looked at that bouncing ball and his first thought was ‘I’m going to boot Ryan Jack’ on the coupon he attacked the ball the wrong way, it was dangerous play but it wasn’t malicious play.

There have been people who have gone out their way to hurt others in the past look at the picture of that animals tackle on Durrant, look at Keane when he snaps Alf-Inge Haaland these are deliberate acts.

It was a red all day long but for dangerous play that I think is what Scott Arfield is meaning. The referee made the wrong decision and that’s were the problem lies.
It’s not that line that’s bothering me or anyone else I can see.

It’s the fact he’s excusing what is yet another blatant red card that has been missed against us.

StuGers

Give it another fortnight and Defoe will be a diver, just like Morelos became a hothead thanks solely to the media.

When this comes to pass, I hope someone in a position to do so points out that 36 year old Jermain Defoe who made his professional debut at the age of 17, and is widely regarded as one of the best strikers of his generation, as well as being an all round good guy, suddenly becomes a diver in the tinpot backwater of Scottish football.

Because they will run with this angle. A throwaway line in a report, a couple of comments by pundits, then Crocker and MacLean start their questioning of every time he's scythed down. After that, BBC Scotland will run a discussion "Defoe - Dynamo or diver?" On this show, Alex Rae, Derek Ferguson and Tom English will give their opinions about how Defoe has always had that side to his game, and he's come up here and thought he'd get away with it against the good honest pros in the SPFL.
Bang on the money.

Virgil Hilts

What would you like him to say instead?

Professionals don’t tend to call out their fellow footballers in the way in which I’m guessing you would like Arfield to do so in this case.

Also, don’t tell our players to “shut the fuck up”. It makes you look stupid.
I’d have liked him to say that:

Had the boot been on the othe foot; sorry I meant face, you guys in the press would’ve formed another kangaroo court to go after the player and match official concerned. And you know you would.

monkey magic

“I don’t think he tried to tak Jackos face off” is the line that’s causing the issues for folk but if you are being brutally honest he didn’t, his actions can’t been deemed as him trying to kick Jack. Nobody can say he looked at that bouncing ball and his first thought was ‘I’m going to boot Ryan Jack’ on the coupon he attacked the ball the wrong way, it was dangerous play but it wasn’t malicious play.

There have been people who have gone out their way to hurt others in the past look at the picture of that animals tackle on Durrant, look at Keane when he snaps Alf-Inge Haaland these are deliberate acts.

It was a red all day long but for dangerous play that I think is what Scott Arfield is meaning. The referee made the wrong decision and that’s were the problem lies.
Arfield needs to be more media savvy though and especially so given the current climate with us and compliance officer and a media witch hunt against Alfie. Then there are Stevie G's comments the previous day about this very incident that are at total odds to what Arfield has stated.

Square and compass

What would you like him to say instead?

Professionals don’t tend to call out their fellow footballers in the way in which I’m guessing you would like Arfield to do so in this case.

Also, don’t tell our players to “shut the fuck up”. It makes you look stupid.
Say nothing, no comment and all that.
Why stick up for other players, i dont see anybody in a Scotland doing anything for us..

Roger Smith Loyal

I wish our players would just say nothing. Now there's an out for the compliance officer. They'll just say even the Rangers players dont think it's a red card.

It doesn't matter if has eyes on the ball or even if he won the ball. He's endangered the safety and thus it's a red card.

You know how when you win the ball and smash through someone and break their leg it's a red card, that.

mark hateley

I think Power went for the ball and not Jack, sometimes decisions can be wrong.

His decision was totally wrong on this occasion.

He tries to be the hard man but he over stepped the mark.

Red card all day except on Saturday PM.

steve1873

No but he was just doing his job.
No he wasn't. His job is to play football for Rangers. Of course he has media obligations as part of that, but he doesn't have to answer every question.

Fair enough if that his his own honest opinion (he is wrong for what it's worth), however after the week of scrutiny we have been subjected to regarding on field discipline, one of our own employees has to be a bit smarter!

petepoto

Arfield isn’t really wrong. The intention was there to get the ball but he didn’t.

It is a red card and there really shouldn’t have been any doubt about it.

Jimmy Jazz

No he wasn't. His job is to play football for Rangers. Of course he has media obligations as part of that, but he doesn't have to answer every question.

Fair enough if that his his own honest opinion (he is wrong for what it's worth), however after the week of scrutiny we have been subjected to regarding on field discipline, one of our own employees has to be a bit smarter!
So he should've refused to answer questions he didn't like and create even bigger and more unnecessary headlines?

Give the guy a break ffs.

Bear all

I don't think he meant but that doesn't really matter it's bloody dangerous play.

GREGRFC

He’s probably Kilmarnock’s most important player this year and a ban would see him miss the Celtic game would it not?

Gung-Ho

I agree but going by a lot of comments on here about a lot of things spec savers would make a fortune selling on here.You make a well thought, studied comment based on watching an incident a couple of times (trying not looking through blue tinted specs) and you get sarcastic or down right cheeky comments back.

dookieno8

That's exactly what happened though... Has he said anything wrong?

It is still a red card though.