Argentine Superliga

This article by Angel Di Maria is well worth a read. He's been poor for Argentina for some time, but sometimes it is easy to forget the human story:

Thought of this article when celebrating the goal. You're right - it's easy to forget the human story. I mention this also due to previous post on Messi.

Thought of this article when celebrating the goal. You're right - it's easy to forget the human story. I mention this also due to previous post on Messi.

Always remember when Marcus Trescothick was sent home from an England tour. Initially, the reasons given were very opaque which led to a lot of criticism of Tres and the England team. It was only when everyone was honest - not an easy thing to do - about him suffering from mental health issues that the criticism disappeared and everyone gathered round to support.

Not saying the same thing is happening here, ultimately, who knows, but until there is total honesty (unlikely) then others will fill the vacuum. And when I say honesty, it has to cut both ways: the fans/press need to be respectful and considerate about the info receive. Not say, you're paid 100K a week so you can't be the same as any other human being.

That was absolutely fucking incredible.

Keep pedalling indeed.

Can I request you post that on its own thread? I think it deserves a much wider audience.
F.uck me.

Now and again I will create seperate threads for articles I post on here. I did so for the Di Maria article, partly because it is an intersting piece of writing but also to generate interest for this thread (hopefully).

I'll give the thread a bump due to your kind words.

Been talk of family issues with Messi for a while. Don't know what they are but we'll certainly get plenty of stories in the coming days.

It'll be interesting to see whether Messi retires. Will Copa America 2019 in Brazil be tempting or is now the time to step aside?

It's never dull in Argentine football. I see Tevez is cutting about with a bleached blond hair-do at pre-season training... :D

:D
You wont regret it.

Edit: Especially if you drink plenty of Mendozan wine to go with them.;):D
I have to say I think I’m the man for that task
Said all along that they lacked legs in midfield. It was glaringy obvious and the performances highlighted this. A midfielder I would have taken was Ascacibar who now plays for Stuttgart. He's a bit like Stuart McCall in style - ideally he would have won the ball back earlier allowing Messi (and others) to get on the ball earlier.

I also would have taken Martinez. Not as a starter (initially), but used as a sub instead of Higuain. Again he has legs and can press high up the park as well as having the quality.

Defensively, there weren;t that many options but they could have set the midfield up better to protect the centre backs and say we'll just rely on the quality up front to get us a goal.

IMO, Higuain, Mascherano and Di Maria shouldn't have gone - who decided that they should is the $1m question.

They need a new goalie. Interested in your opinion of the Racing goalie, Musso. He's 23 and there is talk of him going to Udinese. I think he looks a decent prospect (not De Gea standard) but you are a far better judge than me on keepers.

That all makes sense dr. The players they picked and the style they were asked to play didnt sync.

As a get older, I realise I’m not actually any good on keepers and just unrealistically harsh:D.

Despite my limited knowledge of Argieball I had heard of this lad and he looks the business to me. He fills the goal but nonetheless looks particularly good at getting down to things around his feet.

Udinese are a really good judge of quality so although he looks like he could ultimately go higher if they’re interested I’m sure he’s good.

Looking at potential starting 11's for Argentina at the 2022 World Cup:

http://www.goal.com/en/news/dybala-...must-rebuild-after/1klh58i9xylti13xp7non45lgj

Must admit, I forgot all about Rulli when asking Paleface about keepers.

Lo Celso was a strange one at this World Cup. In the preparation he was a starter, but despite doing nothing wrong he didn't feature. Strange, especially considering the performances of the other midfielders.

Good article.

Was the 2018 squad, though, really the result of the "destruction of the youth pipeline"? The problem has been the lack of integration into an ageing squad rather than the absence of talent.

I agree. The problem, imo, is that with the environment AFA created, every new manager was (wrongly) going to go for the short-term option.

There now needs to be a total overhaul and a plan to take make the team ready for 2022. The talent is coming through, they just need the correct man in charge.

Carlos Bilardo after Estudiantes had defeated Palmeiras to lift the Libertadores in Montevideo in 1968:

DhDZvXoW4AANmtn.jpg:large

I agree. The problem, imo, is that with the environment AFA created, every new manager was (wrongly) going to go for the short-term option.

There now needs to be a total overhaul and a plan to take make the team ready for 2022. The talent is coming through, they just need the correct man in charge.

Clarin lists 60 players who could be part of the build-up:

https://www.clarin.com/deportes/mundial-2018/60-jugadores-armar-nueva-seleccion_0_r1xVlwPfQ.html

Interesting comment at the end when they say not many in the top teams in the top leagues. That may be so but it doesn't mean a team can't be built. Hopefully the Argentine media and support have had a wake-up call this Summer.

I fear the AFA might say the right things but not follow through.

Interesting re Messi as a huge factor in his popularity is the family man image...the stark contrast to Ronaldo and his private life, and public persona.

(If I've read this correctly) La Nacion are saying that Tapia wont be asking Sampaoli to leave. Also, to pay him off would be $11m plus $5m to his backroom staff.

https://www.lanacion.com.ar/2149244...no-le-hizo-ningun-pedido-de-que-deje-el-cargo

They're hoping he's going to quit, which Sampaoli is giving no indication of doing so. We'll likely have a stalemate for a while as the AFA try to grind him down.

Gareca has scheduled for a press conference in Lima today. Natural speculation that it's linked to Argentina, although there are also rumours his next job could be Colombia.

If that doesn't happen, Maradona's offering to take the job for free.

Boca apparently agree a €6m deal for Gustavo Gomez of AC Milan and are close to agreeing a permanent deal for Jonathan Silva of Sporting.

They're hoping he's going to quit, which Sampaoli is giving no indication of doing so. We'll likely have a stalemate for a while as the AFA try to grind him down.

Gareca has scheduled for a press conference in Lima today. Natural speculation that it's linked to Argentina, although there are also rumours his next job could be Colombia.

If that doesn't happen, Maradona's offering to take the job for free.

Gareca now available for the Argentina job if they want him.

Think they would, but the key (obviously) is getting rid of Sampaoli. Ironically, I think SAmpaoli is more suited to Argentina now than he was with the old guard.

Gareca now available for the Argentina job if they want him.

Think they would, but the key (obviously) is getting rid of Sampaoli. Ironically, I think SAmpaoli is more suited to Argentina now than he was with the old guard.

Gareca: "Right now, I'm a free coach." Interesting to see if Colombia move for him.

Angelici + Tapia briefing off-the-record about Sampaoli's imminent departure and isolating him further, according to Clarin - in a style similar to how they finished off Bauza.

The paper points out that the new manager will be the 10th appointment in 15 years. Germany have had 10 in their history.

Beccacece apparently in talks with Defensa y Justicia.

Racing confirm the loan signing (and return) of Gustavo Bou from Xolos. Hell more than likely be Martinez's replacement.

On this day in 2003, Sergio Aguero made his debut, aged 15, for INdependiente against San Lorenzo. How long before he plays for them again?

DhXLxY6X4AAxfVG.jpg:large

Angelici approaches the AFA about expanding the quota of foreign players. With the impending arrival of Gustavo Gomez, Boca will now have 7 on the roster (6 is the maximum with only 5 of those allowed to be named on match day).

The approach is based on Fabra being out for at least 6 months meaning he shouldn't be counted as 1 of the 6.

Rumours of Colombian keeper David Ospina joining Boca, initially on loan with an option to buy. Sticking point is his current salary... plus the foreigner quota!

Angelici approaches the AFA about expanding the quota of foreign players. With the impending arrival of Gustavo Gomez, Boca will now have 7 on the roster (6 is the maximum with only 5 of those allowed to be named on match day).

The approach is based on Fabra being out for at least 6 months meaning he shouldn't be counted as 1 of the 6.

Rumours of Colombian keeper David Ospina joining Boca, initially on loan with an option to buy. Sticking point is his current salary... plus the foreigner quota!

You'd imagine there has to be a number of players leaving. Saw a video, from Argie tv, showing that Boca could put out three teams. The worst being of a pretty good standard.

Looks like Boca are going all out for the Libertadores.

The Zarate transfer has got even more personal as his brother (and agent) continues the abuse:

“Mauro stuck a knife in my back. I am destroyed,” Rolando Zárate told Fox Sports.

“He betrayed the whole family and the 40 years of history that we have with Vélez. I want to cry. We were born at Vélez, we grew up at Vélez and my old man has worked here for 40 years.”

More on this and other Boca news:

https://golazoargentino.com/2018/07...al-move-to-boca-plus-more-boca-transfer-news/

A bit belated, but yesterday, 7th July, was the fourth anniversary of the death of the great Alfredo Di Stefano. Famous for his exploits with Real Madrid, he also played for two other iconic teams: River Plate of the late 40's and Millonarios of Colombia (known as the Ballet Azul). In Argentina he is held as part of the trident, alongside Maradona and Messi, at the top of the game.

DhgtPrbXcAAOsGB.jpg:large

Despite it looking more and more likely that Sampaoli will be leaving, a list of 60 players has been drawn up to take Argentina forward - 12 remain from the World Cup.

Dhq2dg5X0AAlBBs.jpg:large

Dhq20d_X0AEd10w.jpg:large

Dhq3JZ1XcAAOsHo.jpg:large

Dhq3dQ3WkAEv69W.jpg:large

The Sampaoli saga continues. Apparently, he will take charge of the U20's at an upcoming tournament, the U20 coach has resigned to take charge of Defensa, and once this is finished AFA and Sampaoli will talk again.

The Sampaoli saga continues. Apparently, he will take charge of the U20's at an upcoming tournament, the U20 coach has resigned to take charge of Defensa, and once this is finished AFA and Sampaoli will talk again.

Interesting. I wonder if success makes it more palatable for him to remain. It can be easily spun about he can work and develop players in this time of transition.

Argentina were runners-up in 2016. MVP of the tournament... Lautaro Martinez.

Reports now suggesting, that after another meeting between Sampaoli and Tapia, the former wont be taking charge of the U20's at the upcoming COTIF tournament. He will help organise things but Lionel Scaloni or Matías Manna or will travel as coach.

Brilliant by AFA, again.

Back