Argentine Superliga

Tevez in 2003 and 2020:

ESoF-dlXYAEmMb3

ESoF-dkXkAERq_8

I finally get round to starting an Argentinian Football thread and the forum closes. Typical. o_O

Now my composure is regained, I'll update this thread with news and videos from all things Argieball - week 2 starts this Friday.

Preview to the new season:

https://www.cricketsoccer.com/2017/...ig-two-battle-relaunched-argentina-superliga/

Club by club guide:

https://golazoargentino.com/2017/08...eview-a-club-by-club-guide-of-what-to-expect/

Hand of Pod is a weekly Podcast done by English speaking journos based in BA:

https://handofpod.wordpress.com/

Golazo has daily updates (in English) on all things Argieball:

https://golazoargentino.com/

Racing in English Podcast:

Any other resources you feel worthwhile then let me know and I'll include them in this post.
Angels with dirty faces is a good read

Spent the last few days reading through this thread. Outstanding work drgriffen.

self Isolation has me watching all sorts of Argentine football on youtube and ive adopted Huracan for a bit of interest. Class stadium, brilliant strips and could watch the 2009 Pastore team all day.

mon the hot air balloons lol

I still cant get my head round the set up. Surely they could make the structure a lot better and easier to followed, including playing each team home and away?

Oh to be this innocent again.:))

The 30 team league came around to give the President of AFA, Julio Grondona, more power - he was the man with the money and he wanted it distributed to more clubs, to give him more influence. After his death in 2014 it was decided to try and reduce the size of the league so it could eventually make its way to a home and away system. Obviously, something has changed - don't know why.

Welcome to Argieball. :))

Oh to be this innocent again.:))

The 30 team league came around to give the President of AFA, Julio Grondona, more power - he was the man with the money and he wanted it distributed to more clubs, to give him more influence. After his death in 2014 it was decided to try and reduce the size of the league so it could eventually make its way to a home and away system. Obviously, something has changed - don't know why.

Welcome to Argieball. :))

I follow Ankaragucu in the Turkish league so nothing surprises me mate lol.

well at least next fifa will have more games in the one season. Silver linings lol

Saw this video and thought since there is no Argieball I'd post some other stuff from Argentina - this thread has never totally been about the football.

Feel free to post any other music etc.......that might be of interest:

Been trying to work out how Ramon Abila ever got called Wanchope as be looks nothing like him lol. But having spent hours watching Huracan videos on youtube its the long gangly legs.
He would actually be perfect for Rangers in his style of play. Great technique, good finisher and his long legs make it difficult for defenders to take the ball off him.

would be out of our budget id imagine but cracking big player.

also speaking with Huracan fans they were saying their current President is set to win their upcoming elections even though he isn’t popular because There is no other Candidate.

their main gripe with him is that you cant buy tickets unless you are a member which means attendances have dropped. Membership isn’t expensive but Huracan attracts a lot of families and it means they need to take out 4-5 at a time.

Been trying to work out how Ramon Abila ever got called Wanchope as be looks nothing like him lol. But having spent hours watching Huracan videos on youtube its the long gangly legs.
He would actually be perfect for Rangers in his style of play. Great technique, good finisher and his long legs make it difficult for defenders to take the ball off him.

would be out of our budget id imagine but cracking big player.

also speaking with Huracan fans they were saying their current President is set to win their upcoming elections even though he isn’t popular because There is no other Candidate.

their main gripe with him is that you cant buy tickets unless you are a member which means attendances have dropped. Membership isn’t expensive but Huracan attracts a lot of families and it means they need to take out 4-5 at a time.

He's a good player although I don't think he is that good a finisher - can be erratic. At 30 I don't think he would cost a huge amount, but doubt he would be the profile we would be looking for.

He was brilliant for Huracan - think it helped him having more space to run into and being the talisman of the team.

Huracan have been pretty poorly run for a number of years now, if my memory serves me correct. The club hero, Carlos Babington, was President and his tenure wasn't a success. As far as I'm aware he and Passarella are the only people to play for, manage and be President of a club.

Edit: Don't know if I mentioned this previously: you should check out videos of Rene Houseman. He is arguably their greatest player and when he died there were tributes to him by all clubs in Argentina.

He's a good player although I don't think he is that good a finisher - can be erratic. At 30 I don't think he would cost a huge amount, but doubt he would be the profile we would be looking for.

He was brilliant for Huracan - think it helped him having more space to run into and being the talisman of the team.

Huracan have been pretty poorly run for a number of years now, if my memory serves me correct. The club hero, Carlos Babington, was President and his tenure wasn't a success. As far as I'm aware he and Passarella are the only people to play for, manage and be President of a club.

Edit: Don't know if I mentioned this previously: you should check out videos of Rene Houseman. He is arguably their greatest player and when he died there were tributes to him by all clubs in Argentina.

Agreed re the profile mate, especially with his age.
Yeah saw some videos of Houseman, they love him over there. They made a cracking advert about him with Huracan it was a cartoon type.

i dont know anything about the president but im sure the guy i spoke to said his name was Alejandro? Btw they think Nieto is as shite as we do lol and said if they just had a better striker in 2009 they would have won the league. Also the terrible goal Vélez were given.

Agreed re the profile mate, especially with his age.
Yeah saw some videos of Houseman, they love him over there. They made a cracking advert about him with Huracan it was a cartoon type.

i dont know anything about the president but im sure the guy i spoke to said his name was Alejandro? Btw they think Nieto is as shite as we do lol and said if they just had a better striker in 2009 they would have won the league. Also the terrible goal Vélez were given.

Yeah, the cartoon was made by TyC (I think) to commemorate his death - posted it on here.

He is the current President. Babington was elected President in 2006.

The stadium used in the brilliant film The Secret in their Eyes was Huracan's:

Yeah, the cartoon was made by TyC (I think) to commemorate his death - posted it on here.

He is the current President. Babington was elected President in 2006.

The stadium used in the brilliant film The Secret in their Eyes was Huracan's:

An oscar winner and also a Netflix documentary features Duco. Its such a cool stadium mate, proper old school and hasnt changed apart from maintenance since it was built.

Don’t know if this had already been posted but another great video by Copa90. And another reason that ive taken an interest in Argie football.

Don’t know if this had already been posted but another great video by Copa90. And another reason that ive taken an interest in Argie football.

Yes, it's been posted on FF before. Always good to see it again.

In case you aren't aware, there's been a Libertadores thread for the last three years:

Yes, it's been posted on FF before. Always good to see it again.

In case you aren't aware, there's been a Libertadores thread for the last three years:

Ideal mate ill have a wee read through

Cant see any of these happening but Kaku Gamerro and Javier Pastore have both discussed returning to Huracan.

kaku said he wants to return when his contract finishes at the end of the season with Red Bull as he is homesick and misses his family. Pastore said if hes to return to Argentina it will be Talleres or Huracan.
Patrick Toranzo also wants to return to the club and retire there. 38 years old now.

Back