Barrie McKay “Unfinished Business”

Like a thoroughbred going for the Gold Cup, I don’t give a %^*& about last years stable boy or the jockey from 4 years ago. Put on the blinkers and only look forward to 55! See you in the rear view Barry along with many others

I liked him.

However, the story that comes across is putting Pedro in a bad light (even if he was a nutcase). McKay was the one that wanted away.

He must be watching and missing us.

Good I say and good bye Barrie.

Have no desire to see him back at Ibrox, he will be playing for Motherwell or Kilmarnock in a few years.

Good luck in your future endeavours Barrie.

McKay was a skillful player for us. His ability was never in doubt, it was his application that people questioned. Nothing to do with flying into tackles but sometimes looking like he just wasn't trying to do anything with the ball. The amount of times he found himself in behind and just hit it straight off the closest player to him was seriously frustrating. Probably a confidence thing.

What I would say about him is he was offered improved contracts and knocked them back so spare us the 'forced out' garbage. It was nothing to do with Caixinha either, he knocked back contracts when Warburton was in charge as well. You can't tell a club you will effectively happily wait and see what your options are then take the hump when they decide to take something for you instead of nothing.

A very good player who was shifted out of the team for the likes of Herrera, Pena and Candeias.

Candeias has proved his worth, but the other two were a complete shambles.

McKay was a whipping boy on here, but he definitely had an abundance of talent.

That goal in the semi final will live with me forever.

Last edited:
Gerrard wants players who can play. Barrie can play alright.

Gerrard also wants his players to have a great deal of mental and physical fortitude. Barrie has little or none.

Then there was his 'No human being should be treated like this' statement when he left.

No, if Barrie is happy at the swans then by all means stay there.

A very good player who was shifted out of the team for the likes of Herrera, Pena and Candeias.

Candeias has proved his worth, but the other two were a complete shambles.

McKay was a whipping boy on here, but he definitely had an abundance of talent.

That goal in the cup final will live with me forever.
What goal in the cup final?

Looks like someone’s regretting leaving the platform before the Stevie G express pulled up...

BARRIE McKAY admits the manner of his departure from Rangers still hurts.

But the winger remains hopeful that chapter of his career can still be continued.
McKay hasn’t been back at Ibrox since he was deemed surplus to requirements by Pedro Caixinha in the summer of 2017.

Selling the midfielder to Nottingham Forest was just one of a catalogue of bad calls by the Portuguese dud, who was bulleted himself just months after McKay’s departure.

The Scotland international is now the happiest he has ever been after joining Swansea at the start of the season.

But the feeling of unfinished business at his boyhood heroes is one that still lingers.
He said: “Leaving wasn’t up to me. It was down to the manager and the owners.

“The manager made it clear he didn’t want me. I was a regular under Mark Warburton and then Caixinha only played me when he needed me.
“I wouldn’t start until a few results went against him and then he would say, ‘I need you to do it for me in this game’.

“I would play and then I’d be straight back out again. That’s just the way he was.
“He never lasted long after I left and fans still come up to me and say I left too soon.

“But they need to realise I didn’t force a move out of Ibrox. I didn’t want to go. A similar thing happened with David Bates.

“I think that is down to bad management, as Rangers didn’t tie him up on a contract earlier.
“Before they knew it he was gone — one guy at the club didn’t rate him and somebody with a big future was allowed to leave.

The move to Hamburg has worked out well for Batesy and he is thriving out there.

“He has got himself in the Scotland squad since moving to Germany but he could still be in Scotland.

“Yet, despite what happened with me, I have always said I would like to go back. If the opportunity ever came further down the line I would jump at it.

“You could say there is unfinished business.
“It is a huge club and it was an honour and a privilege to play for them. But for the moment I’m probably the most content and settled I’ve ever been at Swansea.”

McKay played more than a century of games for Rangers before he was forced out by Caixinha.
And even if he does not get the opportunity to return, he will covet a special place in the history of the club.

The 24- year-old was one of only three players — along with Lee Wallace and Dean Shiels — to complete the rise through the leagues from Division Three to the Premiership.

McKay was also the man who scored the goal that started the process when he netted the opener in a 2-2 draw against Peterhead at Balmoor back in August 2012.

He said: “That was a pretty surreal moment. I was only 17 at the time and it was all a bit of a blur.
“To be able to say you scored the first goal at the start of the journey is incredible.

“I will always hold that memory highly. At the time I don’t think I was fully aware of the significance of the goal.

“I was just happy to be playing football. I wasn’t thinking about anything else. However, over time I became more aware of just what that goal stood for.

“It’s an incredible memory and it’s something that always gets mentioned.

“I thoroughly enjoyed my time at Rangers. It was a steep learning curve for me as I joined at 17 and I was almost instantly fast-tracked.

“I made my debut the same season I signed and I could never have imagined that. The following season I became a regular.

However, I haven’t been back since I left to join Forest.
“It’s not because I don’t want to go back. I just haven’t had the opportunity as I have been playing most weekends.”

But McKay still watches his old club from afar and he was encouraged by their victory in the last Old Firm clash — their first in 13 league games over Celtic.

He said: “It was a brilliant game and it was good to see Rangers getting after them.

“That was probably the first time since we beat them in the Scottish Cup semi-final a few years ago.

“However, that worked out for the worst as they went and got Brendan Rodgers and spent a fortune on players!

“Suddenly expectation went through the roof at Ibrox, the fans expected us to win the league in our first season back.

It was difficult because a lot of the players had only been used to playing in the Championship and they were still adapting.

“Now it is different. Steven Gerrard has come in and there is a real belief that Rangers can compete and challenge Celtic for the title.”

McKay also feels his former Forest team-mate Joe Worrall is exactly the type of character Rangers need if they are to end seven years of Hoops dominance.

He added: “I still speak with Joe. He is a confident lad and he has taken that into his game up in Scotland.

“At Forest he was always someone you could rely on, especially in the bigger games. He never shied away from anything and that is what you need at Rangers.

“You can’t hide and when it comes to fronting up, Joe will always be there.”
Had your chance wee man you didnt take it . We have better choices now..

No not for me, to many off days, not enough get in amongst them and win us the ball, as has been said, he was just not good enough for the Rangers, fan or not.

In all honesty, he lacked the heart to play for Rangers regularly.

Loads of ability but didn’t turn it on often enough. He was harshly treated by McCoist with being farmed out IMO but he never seemed to get over the huff for that, even when Warburton was playing him regularly.

The Worrall thing is Interesting, it must be why Gerrard prefers Worrall In the bigger games, even when he can be poor in lesser games he always shows up in the big games

Doesn't seem to be able to make up his mind.
One minute we never treated him as a human being, the next "I loved my time at Rangers"
There have been many players with the skill to play for Rangers but lacked the mental strength. He's one of them.
Best playing for a club with low expectations. He is now and says he's never been more settled.
I'm not surprised at that.

Think he would need clearance from the UN after petitioning them due to his human rights being violated.

Would you have under Pedro and the way he managed ?
Pedro was a useless lady's front bottom who it was obvious was never going to last. Barrie could have stayed and waited to see what happened next as it was inevitable change would occur, but he didn't, he refused to sign a contract because he wanted to go elsewhere. Now he's obviously seen playing at a club like ours only comes round for most once in a lifetime and he wants back.

Scary to think how much the Portuguese bullf(s)hiter cost us overall.

The pittance we got for players like McKay, Waghorn and Garner because he ostracised them and made it a nightmare to negotiate. The fortunes spent on the likes of Pena, Alves, Cardoso & Herrera, going out of Europe to Progres.

I’d argue he should go down in history as our worst ever permanent manager. Other than bring in Candeias & in whatever part he played in getting in Morelos what good did he actually achieve? Horrendous

Scary to think how much the Portuguese bullf(s)hiter cost us overall.

The pittance we got for players like McKay, Waghorn and Garner because he ostracised them and made it a nightmare to negotiate. The fortunes spent on the likes of Pena, Alves, Cardoso & Herrera, going out of Europe to Progres.

I’d argue he should go down in history as our worst ever permanent manager. Other than bring in Candeias & in whatever part he played in getting in Morelos what good did he actually achieve? Horrendous

He was diabolical.

You still have a few zoomers on here defending him.

Seriously underrated player on here. Didn’t score enough goals as part of a front three but he was quick, could go past people, had a brilliant first touch, was the best passer at the club and for all the non-fancier nonsense the stats showed he covered the ground. His assist stats were great and would have been phenomenal if we had ever had a decent forward while he was here. It was a disgrace he was allowed to go for 500k.
Thought sold him for roughly the same
Hasn't established himself in the Swansea team
I think we got a fair price

Genuinely one of the most naturally gifted players I’ve watched playing for Rangers but clearly a lack of mentality for the task at hand. No desire whatsoever therefore no place in our current squad.

Can people stop pretending we were robbed on the McKay deal. He was a shitebag who was about to become available on a pre contract to leave for nothing, he’s now a championship sub. £500k is good business for that.

What exactly is it that makes people think we could have or should have been asking for more? “Here, give us a coupe of million, he’s in the last year of his contract and the highlight of his career is a good season in the Scottish first division and 4 good games in the top flight. Give us a couple of million eh”

The boy’s talent was wasted on him. You could tell if he was up for a game or not within the first ten minutes or so and for me that’s utterly appalling.

Great words from him. He’s a dynamite footballer who still loves the club. He’s also probably FF’s favorite whipping boy so I’m sure none of it will be appreciated around here. Would love to see him back one day.

He will be back up the road soon enough at Hearts, Aberdeen or somewhere, as I predicted when he left, many told me he would be a star in the EPL and we had let a superstar go....one of the most weak willed players I’ve seen, bags of talent but no good if your not willing to work hard at it

I feel like he lived off the back of his performance against them in the semi final for a good while.

A passenger a lot of the time.

Great words from him. He’s a dynamite footballer who still loves the club. He’s also probably FF’s favorite whipping boy so I’m sure none of it will be appreciated around here. Would love to see him back one day.

Giving your assertion that Lafferty was better than Morelos and would score more goals, I think we’re all relieved your not in charge!

I’d question the sanity of anyone who’d want to bring a coward like him back, especially after his pathetic comments at the time of his exit.

“Clearly loves the club”

Aye that’s why he knocked back improved contracts and went to NF, more a case of him realising he’s arsed everything up while he picks skelfs out his arse in the championship.

What I do remember about him is that his first touch was unbelievable. He'd kill the ball dead 9/10.

Had Lustig on toast a few times as well. Just far too inconsistent.

Giving your assertion that Lafferty was better than Morelos and would score more goals, I think we’re all relieved your not in charge!

I’d question the sanity of anyone who’d want to bring a coward like him back, especially after his pathetic comments at the time of his exit.

“Clearly loves the club”

Aye that’s why he knocked back improved contracts and went to NF, more a case of him realising he’s arsed everything up while he picks skelfs out his arse in the championship.

Lol good memory. I can only say that I’m as happy as anyone that Morelos turned it around. Still need him finishing in big games though. And yes I’d take Barry back.

Lol good memory. I can only say that I’m as happy as anyone that Morelos turned it around. Still need him finishing in big games though. And yes I’d take Barry back.

Why though? About 5 good games for us in the top flight, knocked back improved contracts, claimed he was treated inhumanely and he’s now a championship sub. Why would you want that back?

I’d almost have thought you were him
If you hadn’t spelled his name wrong :D

Last edited:
Did Barrie not reject a couple of improved contracts under MW?

May be harsh but he was a hide n seek player. Perhaps was coming through in the shit team and era. Certainly a Barry Ferguson or the gaffer wouldn’t let him slack the way he did and he may have been someone. Now you couldn’t fight for or deserve the jersey and you will likely be a bit part player in lower champ to lower L1

As much as I like Barrie Ryan Kent is head and shoulders above him and I’d say Glenn Middleton has shown enough about him against better opposition than Barrie did you suggest he is also better player
This, for me, is all part of the basic problem with and for McKay.
What you're saying is probably correct.
HOWEVER, you're evaluating him for the wrong position.
To my mind, I don't think it would take too much of a re-education for McKay to make him a fairly decent number ten.

Why though? About 5 good games for us in the top flight, knocked back improved contracts, claimed he was treated inhumanely and he’s now a championship sub. Why would you want that back?

I’d almost have thought you were him
If you hadn’t spelled his name wrong :D

Why? The OF goal alone, for starters. Something Morelos has yet to do. And maybe I am him, spelling the name wrong to through you off...

Why? The OF goal alone, for starters. Something Morelos has yet to do. And maybe I am him, spelling the name wrong to through you off...

You’d resign him based on one goal alone? Christ, remind me never take your opinions or thoughts seriously.

You obviously still have a chip on your shoulder RE Morelos though, he never had the good fortune to play against Ronny Dildo’s shite Celtic team, and while he might not have scored in the most recent OF but he played a brilliant game.

Latest posts

Back