BBC - Relieve Pundit Of Duties Over 'Handbags' Comment

Lots of offendedness in the thread about other people being offended.

Bed-wetting lefties.

Oh my sides!!

I’m an old fashioned leftie, and it’s ridiculous that folk can be reprimanded for saying something that was acceptable in the very recent past.

This isn’t an isolated incident and folk are right to question just what the hell is going on.

Actually, if I heard that virtue signalling f#ckwit Lineker using that expression, I might now be inclined to write a strongly worded complaint to the BBC since they have now set a precedent.

Might get the obnoxious chunt fired.

Oh my sides!!

I’m an old fashioned leftie, and it’s ridiculous that folk can be reprimanded for saying something that was acceptable in the very recent past.

This isn’t an isolated incident and folk are right to question just what the hell is going on.
Commentators are told to avoid using lazy cliches on air. Pundit continues to use lazy cliches and is taken off air.

Not really that ridiculous that people can be reprimanded for not maintaining the standards set for them by the people paying them.

If my boss tells me tomorrow I can no longer refer to certain former Rangers players as "Ibrox flops" and I continued to use it, he'd be perfectly within his rights to reprimand me for doing so.

Bed wetting because the world has changed and they've been left behind.

The World is forever changing it’s nothing new. Doesn’t mean the change has to be acceptable.

“Shut up you old Poles, the World is changing. Communism is where it’s at.”

The World is forever changing it’s nothing new. Doesn’t mean the change has to be acceptable.

“Shut up you old Poles, the World is changing. Communism is where it’s at.”

When it comes to stopping commentators talking in lazy clichés, it's a good change.

Commentators are told to avoid using lazy cliches on air. Pundit continues to use lazy cliches and is taken off air.

Not really that ridiculous that people can be reprimanded for not maintaining the standards set for them by the people paying them.

If my boss tells me tomorrow I can no longer refer to certain former Rangers players as "Ibrox flops" and I continued to use it, he'd be perfectly within his rights to reprimand me for doing so.

They’ve reacted to viewer complaints, they haven’t just taken the decision to rid their commentary of cliches.

So someone complained. Does that mean one person? They suspend the guy because one crackpot complained? The inmates are running the asylum. Ooops, that's an un PC thing to say, too. Please, nobody complain.

One thing I'm surprised that's not come up is the fake crowd noise of the wolf whistle when a player blasts the ball over the bar.

I always thought this was a derogatory sound to indicate a player was gay?

"who’d be offended by it. The BBC has lost touch with the public.”

Lost touch with reality more like

Source: Sport Bible​

Pundit Steve Thompson won't be used by the BBC for the rest of the year, following three sexist comments made in 20 minutes during Swindon Town vs Lincoln City.​

The 65-year-old, sometimes known as "Tommo", was working for the broadcaster as a freelancer when he made the remarks, which included describing a scuffle between two players as "handbags".
Also in the same 20-minute spell, Thompson said: "I think the referee's wife's in" and referred to a player as: "Being a bit of a drama queen... he'd have been better wearing a skirt."
Listeners later complained about the sexist phrasing, used on BBC Radio Lincolnshire on Tuesday while covering Lincoln's 1-0 away victory over Swindon in League One. As a result of his comments, the pundit won't be hired to cover any games until at least January.

Still an over reaction imo but sheds a bit more light on what happened.

Will probably boost his career given the amount of exposure he’s got. Wonder what the referees wife’s in comment was about

A disgraceful decision.

If I was on the receiving end of those call/calls, I'd have been telling the complainers to f... off. It's the correct reply to the clowns.

FOOTBALL pundit has been suspended by the BBC — for describing a scuffle between two players as “handbags”.

Steve “Tommo” Thompson was relieved of his duties for using the familiar matchday phrase after listeners complained.

Steve 'Tommo' Thompson was relieved of his duties after describing a scuffle between players as 'handbags''Tommo' Thompson was relieved of his duties after describing a scuffle between players as 'handbags'

Steve 'Tommo' Thompson was relieved of his duties after describing a scuffle between players as 'handbags'

He made the comment on BBC Radio Lincolnshire during Lincoln City’s 0-0 draw away at Accrington Stanley in the Sky Bet League One last Saturday.

It is so common it appears in the Collins Dictionary as “an incident in which people, especially sportsmen, fight or threaten to fight, but without real intent to inflict harm”.

Freelancer Steve, 65, who played for and managed Lincoln, was said to be “devastated” by the BBC’s decision.

Steve made the comment on BBC Radio Lincolnshire during Lincoln City’s 1-0 win at Swindon Town in the Sky Bet League One on Tuesday night

Lincoln fan Bernard O’Mahoney is campaigning for his reinstatement. He said: “As any football fan knows, ‘handbags’ is an incredibly well-known saying.

“I can’t begin to think who’d be offended by it. The BBC has lost touch with the public.”

'Handbags' appears in the Collins Dictionary as 'an incident in which people, especially sportsmen, fight or threaten to fight, but without real intent to inflict harm'

Fan Marcus Greatorex added: “It’s just an old term. The BBC should pay more attention to songs on their stations promoting knife crime and drug use.”

The BBC said: “After listeners raised concerns, Steve acknowledged some of his comments on air didn’t meet the standards we expect. He is taking a break but will be back in the New Year.”

THE SUN SAYS​

THE BBC has been in the grip of “woke” madness longer than almost anyone.

But dropping a footy pundit for calling an ineffectual on-pitch scuffle “handbags” is a new level of foolishness.

Who exactly is offended by this term, so common it’s in the dictionary?

No one outside the imagination of hyper-sensitive producers.

The BBC is growing more distant by the day from the public whose licence fees it needs.

It’s one own-goal after another.
As you say mate disgraceful decision however none of us should be surprised with the woke BBC

The BBC now panders 100% to the hand wringers and perma offended brigade, it's been like that for a few years now.

Actually pmsl at folk trying to defend that. Its a disgrace. As for "boring clichés". Anyone who thinks its acceptable for someone's livelihood to be endangered because they used a cliché is a dangerous individual.
It's something I live with everyday.

The sooner this organisation is shut down, defunded or whatever it takes the better. To think that the UK is subjected to this type of crap while being required to pay for the privilege is a nonsense. Make it a stand alone service, subscription only and see how long it lasts.

Back