Beale: “When we left we were four points ahead. There’s no way we’d have let them come past us. “

Considering Gio has a better points per game than Gerrard + Beale last season then I'd doubt that. What I've consistently posted on here is that there is a refusal to acknowledge the mentally challengeds form. We were four points ahead because they were brutal and Ange was nearly sacked. If they went on the run they went on under Gio (33 games undefeated) against Gerrard and Beale we'd of been wanting them out on their arse.

Seville cost us the League and it was a price worth paying. We have prematurely sacked Gio in a panic due to failures from above. He is not blameless particularly due to his Old Firm record, but definitely not the main problem in my view.

Sacking Gio has just set a ludicrously high bar in terms of what the next manager has to do with this group of players and Wilson above him, those of you who believe Beale is that man fair enough. Hope I'm wrong but we'll be having this exact same thread this time next year.
Agree with all of your post but the end part, I have a feeling we may just get it right and with the backing of our fans which is a big if, as I think lots of fans have been disgraceful in their vile comments about Gio and the club, then together as management players and fans get back to being proud of our great club and supporting our club publicly instead of ridiculing and arguing in social media and radio etc.

I don’t know. We were already dropping stupid points at home under Gerrard. Gio came in and got a bit of a bounce at first. We went on a good run of results up until the January break.

The collapse after the break was something we had also seen under Gerrard. I’m not convinced it wouldn’t have happened again but I do agree that we’d have done better in the games against the bheasts.

I got the feeling the season was about to collapse under Gerrard just before he left. Same way I felt about Gio a few weeks ago.

We may have won the league under Gerrard however we would not have got to Seville.

I think people underestimate the impact high intensity, high pressure games have on players.

we lost the league by 4 points, however

we dropped points

2 immediately after Dortmund away, drew (cheated - blatant penalty not given) at Tannadice
2 immediately after Dortmund at home, drew (cheated - 3 goals given as offside, 2 were on) drawing with Motherwell.
3 points at home to celtic immediately before the Braga away game (denied two clear penalties)
2 points away at the piggery immediately after Leipzig away, and immediately before the home leg. They scored their goal from their only attempt on target.

Last season was a mixture of terrible refereeing decisions, and our run to Seville.

This season an unprecedented injury list, and disgraceful refereeing decisions by Willie Collum at Easter Road squeezed in before VAR that put us on the back foot, and victims of our own success by qualifying for the Champions League.

Fighting talk, but all evidence at the time pointed to a different outcome. The annual mid season collapse was already underway when they left.

These are the words of a job candidate and I wouldn’t put to much weight into them

Only 2 of today are his team, Raskin and Cantwell. He wasn’t the manager, he wasn’t even the assistant manager, he was a coach. Lot of shite to say it’s his team.
You are allowed to improve teams though regardless if you signed them or not.

He's improved results not performances.

Wasn't he there when most of this team were signed

Ah right, so because he was there when we signed them all those years ago we should blame him.

Forget the folk who had the chance to do what well managed football clubs do and actually try to improve the squad at every opportunity eh?

Yeah ? Did Beale assemble this team when he was an assistant coach under Gerrard ?
Pretty sure his opinion would have been sought- I'm not blaming him for anything, blame sits with board- expecting same players to produce year after year but he did say last week only 2 going so obviously thinks they have the quality required

Pretty sure his opinion would have been sought- I'm not blaming him for anything, blame sits with board- expecting same players to produce year after year but he did say last week only 2 going so obviously thinks they have the quality required
To be fair this team won us the league, so at the time when he was here they were the right transfers. That he then comes back in to manage the same team who are so far past their peak isn't his fault.

It remains to be seen if he is the man to oversee the clear out.

Quite sad you went to the effort to find this thread to bump it haha.

Maybe if he hadn't inherited a crock of shit from Wilson and Gio things would be different?

You don’t know how simple google is to work do you ?

He was heavily involved in assembling that crock of shit he left when he and Gerrard skulked away

He is getting less from they same players than GvB did. Other than celtic when was the last domestic game we lost by 2 goals ?

Maybe try beating them Michael before you give it the Big I am.
Im with you. Thought it was tasteless thing to say. Put himself on a pedestal saying that. So far in the big games, hes fell short. Not all his doing but nevertheless Gio got it hard, then why not him.

I only replied originally to a poster who said 3/4 of this team are his, which is categorically untrue. Haven’t had any other conversation on this thread so don’t know if you quoted the wrong person then.
Have a read at what i said mate. I didn't say it was his team, i made another point.

He's the manager it's his team.
The point being made is that he assembled his team, he took over mid season and has only brought in 2 of his own players. Let’s judge him when he’s actually had a chance to clear out players and bring in what he’s identified.

Have a read at what i said mate. I didn't say it was his team, i made another point.
I’m not sure why you replied that to me then mate I didn’t say anything to the contrary in my point. I agree he can improve upon the shambles of the team he inherited, which I think he has, but it’s not yet his own team.

You don’t know how simple google is to work do you ?

He was heavily involved in assembling that crock of shit he left when he and Gerrard skulked away

He is getting less from they same players than GvB did. Other than celtic when was the last domestic game we lost by 2 goals ?

Stay angry big chap, gives us all a good laugh when you hit out with the nonsense in bold and actually believe it.

You don't even know how involved he was assembling that crock of shit and you conveniently didn't acknowledge the fact that, that crock of shit since Beale left should have been improved.

It wasn't, and Gio's incompetence as a manager resulted in us falling so far behind celtic before December never mind Christmas.

Are you saying Beale had absolutely no input, influence or decision making alongside Gerrard when it came to these things ? Really??

Beale was THE right hand man.

No excuses.

There are a whole lot of stages between “absolutely no input” and being held culpable for the entire side. Jesus Christ.

He had some input but wasn’t in charge and didn’t make the decisions. It’s fine to say it for what it is. This place constantly tries to split everything into two extremes. There’s a shit load of grey in everything.

Ah right, so because he was there when we signed them all those years ago we should blame him.

Forget the folk who had the chance to do what well managed football clubs do and actually try to improve the squad at every opportunity
He's the manager it's his team he picks it not Gio or Wilson

Are you saying Beale had absolutely no input, influence or decision making alongside Gerrard when it came to these things ? Really??

Beale was THE right hand man.

No excuses.

Do you believe an assistant manager is responsible for transfers ? I'm sure he would have some input but ultimately his word would have had no real bearing on who was bought in. And again, as per my other post: If you do want to claim it's 'his team': That team won us the league.

Considering Gio has a better points per game than Gerrard + Beale last season then I'd doubt that. What I've consistently posted on here is that there is a refusal to acknowledge the mentally challengeds form. We were four points ahead because they were brutal and Ange was nearly sacked. If they went on the run they went on under Gio (33 games undefeated) against Gerrard and Beale we'd of been wanting them out on their arse.

Seville cost us the League and it was a price worth paying. We have prematurely sacked Gio in a panic due to failures from above. He is not blameless particularly due to his Old Firm record, but definitely not the main problem in my view.

Sacking Gio has just set a ludicrously high bar in terms of what the next manager has to do with this group of players and Wilson above him, those of you who believe Beale is that man fair enough. Hope I'm wrong but we'll be having this exact same thread this time next year.
On old post but as the thread got bumped just seen this.

It sums up everything I’ve said for months.

Unfortunately you are labelled a Gio fanboy if you try to articulate it though, that stance is starting to change though…

One thing I would add is the board also sacked Gio because there was going to be a long break for the WC and the AGM on the horizon. It allowed them a bit of breathing space.

I was against him getting the job. I didn't have a name in mind but I knew I didn't want MB.
He talks a lot but doesn't have a ruthless streak. Neither did Gio. The big greasy Aussie learned quickly that you need to fukcin hate your main rivals.

I’m not sure why you replied that to me then mate I didn’t say anything to the contrary in my point. I agree he can improve upon the shambles of the team he inherited, which I think he has, but it’s not yet his own team.
It was just a different take on the point.

I agree it's not his team but managers are paid to manage all players at the club.

I am not saying anything about Beales position in this club.. however, those who post that this isn't his team and he has inherited a shit show, please refer to Beales own words on this subject which can be paraphrased as 'I know this team well, it's a good team, its a team I believe in, most of these players are my players, that is an advantage, not much will change, etc etc' said by Beale on multiple occasions. So this is clearly not an excuse he would use or recognize.

I am not saying anything about Beales position in this club.. however, those who post that this isn't his team and he has inherited a shit show, please refer to Beales own words on this subject which can be paraphrased as 'I know this team well, it's a good team, its a team I believe in, most of these players are my players, that is an advantage, not much will change, etc etc' said by Beale on multiple occasions. So this is clearly not an excuse he would use or recognize.
This squad is about 2 seasons past its sell by date.

There is no way 80% of this squad should still be here

He didn't. He literally stated though that this team was good enough to go on and win the league under him.

Or did he need Gerrard back with him to get a tune out of this team?
Would you have wanted him to come in and immediately say 'it's fucked, this team is shit' ? :D

Do you believe an assistant manager is responsible for transfers ? I'm sure he would have some input but ultimately his word would have had no real bearing on who was bought in. And again, as per my other post: If you do want to claim it's 'his team': That team won us the league.
Gary McAllister was the assistant manager under Gerrard.

We were told by many that Beale was the brains behind 55. He's not inspiring confidence that he can take us to the title.

Him and Beale were both assistant managers if I recall ?
I thought Beale was just the head coach as in took the training sessions etc. Wonder if he’s still as heavily involved in the training… as that’s apparently what he’s best at.

He certainly talks a good game. Unfortunately he is absolutely muted for the full 90 minutes whilst watching utter dross rather than perhaps use some of his vocal power to fire a rocket up his players or perhaps offer some instructions.

Back