Bear banned for last minute winner celebration

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2016
Rugby Park
Kilmarnock v Falkirk
Playoff final 2nd leg
Kilmarnock win the game and stay up in the Premier League.
A number of their fans run on the pitch to celebrate at the end.
Absolutely zero action taken for invading the pitch and not even newsworthy..

Reading the twitter thread he's said he was one of the photos that was released the other week by Police Scotland and that after they come out he was done with breach of the peace. Its his own fault and he absolutely deserves it.
Does he deserve to have his life ruined because of it? Absolutely fucking not.

It’s against the rules of the stadium. I’ve no idea about the charge. Maybe it was disabled people in the shelter who were annoyed or disturbed? People at their work?
Rules of stadium are civil mate, police have no involvement.

If hes on the pitch, it's nothing to do with disabled shelter. No sure bout people at work....if someone celebrating a goal places a steward or polis into state of fear or alarm, on the pitch or not, then they're in the wrong job.

This is desperate stuff. Lets be clear, I back FULLY that noone goes on pitch and if they do the club can impose sanctions. But criminal actions!? Shocking.

Has anyone considered that people only really run on the pitch when the stands are closer to the pitch and when players go nearer the crowd? For instance if you are behind the goals at hampden theres absolutely no way you are going to leave the stand. The players celebrated into the crowd that day at Killie hence why people are enticed onto the pitch. Not blaming either the fans or the players but these factors play a big part.

Listen, it's totally true and I am in full agreement that the guy shouldn't be on the pitch. Not any argument there.

But come on. That act in itself isn't criminal nor should we seek to label such stupidity as a crime.

I'm no QC, but how can it be a breach of the peace? How can anyone argue in court that in the context of celebrating your team scoring a last minute winner that hes caused alarm or annoyance to the lieges. We were all celebrating, there must be 4000 causing a BOP

In fact, at any game where theres home and away fans present, whenever a goal goes in and is celebrated then that's causing annoyance to the other set. My peace was breached recently by 800 Septic fans in the corner at Ibrox.

Nor is it in public interest or bound by precedence. There was no pursuance of fans at other occasions when they've been on the pitch cheering.....lots of examples from various clubs in Scotland with no follow up

So I get the ban from Rangers if hes caught on the pitch, but I'm not getting the criminalisaton. And BOP is scraping the barrel.

Anyways, perhaps an example then of what others have highlighted as either politicization of Police Scotland and the over zealous policing of Rangers fans. Or both!!
what you’re arguing for here is everybody to suffer for the actions of an idiot. Why are people so desperate to justify something that they’ll argue to give up their own freedoms?
Rules of stadium are civil mate, police have no involvement.

If hes on the pitch, it's nothing to do with disabled shelter. No sure bout people at work....if someone celebrating a goal places a steward or polis into state of fear or alarm, on the pitch or not, then they're in the wrong job.

This is desperate stuff. Lets be clear, I back FULLY that noone goes on pitch and if they do the club can impose sanctions. But criminal actions!? Shocking.
Why are you shocked? People have been saying on here for a couple of years people were going to get in trouble as well as harming the club. Why are you going on at people who aren’t the police about what he’s charged for? He’s clearly suspected of breaking a law so he’s been charged. It’s nobody else’s fault.

Pathetic tbh.

Will Rangers now be seeking out and banning everyone who manages to get themselves the arrested at Ibrox for being a nuisance when pished ? Before the courts have even decided ?

what you’re arguing for here is everybody to suffer for the actions of an idiot. Why are people so desperate to justify something that they’ll argue to give up their own freedoms?

Why are you shocked? People have been saying on here for a couple of years people were going to get in trouble as well as harming the club. Why are you going on at people who aren’t the police about what he’s charged for? He’s clearly suspected of breaking a law so he’s been charged. It’s nobody else’s fault.
I think your being far too defensive and spoiling for a fight.

I don't excuse the actions of going on the pitch. In fact, several times I candidly reinforce my view that I'm totally against this. Indeed I am in full agreement with you on the point some actions are going to get the club in trouble and must be countered. I'll help if I can, but all this within the confines of football.

Don't know who you think I'm going on at, but the point I'm making is going on the pitch is not criminal. If that's all hes done- and as per my OP i don't know- but if it is, then what's shocking is that he now faces being charged with a crime not intended for the action and the possible consequences that brings.

If he was one of yours or mine then simply celebrating on the pitch rather than the stand, albeit wrong, cant then mean he gets a record, loses his job,struggles to find work, cant go on feckin holiday to US etc etc!

So chill out in that I agree with most your saying. But this (again if its purely jumping on the park) isn't a crime so shouldn't be treated as such.

And don't act surprised if i voice that opinion on a thread based on this very discussion within a Rangers chat forum.....its what it's for. Noones getting on at anyone, I'm saying that fans don't go on the pitch to celebrate a goal but if they do it remains an issue to be dealt with by the club or football authorities and we don't criminalise it.

I cant think of any other occasion whereby simply being on a pitch has resulted in an arrest...takes me back to my OP, there must be something else that were no aware of.

I think your being far too defensive and spoiling for a fight.

I don't excuse the actions of going on the pitch. In fact, several times I candidly reinforce my view that I'm totally against this. Indeed I am in full agreement with you on the point some actions are going to get the club in trouble and must be countered. I'll help if I can, but all this within the confines of football.

Don't know who you think I'm going on at, but the point I'm making is going on the pitch is not criminal. If that's all hes done- and as per my OP i don't know- but if it is, then what's shocking is that he now faces being charged with a crime not intended for the action and the possible consequences that brings.

If he was one of yours or mine then simply celebrating on the pitch rather than the stand, albeit wrong, cant then mean he gets a record, loses his job,struggles to find work, cant go on feckin holiday to US etc etc!

So chill out in that I agree with most your saying. But this (again if its purely jumping on the park) isn't a crime so shouldn't be treated as such.

And don't act surprised if i voice that opinion on a thread based on this very discussion within a Rangers chat forum.....its what it's for. Noones getting on at anyone, I'm saying that fans don't go on the pitch to celebrate a goal but if they do it remains an issue to be dealt with by the club or football authorities and we don't criminalise it.

I cant think of any other occasion whereby simply being on a pitch has resulted in an arrest...takes me back to my OP, there must be something else that were no aware of.
Were people not charged for going on the pitch at Hampden or was it something they done while on the pitch? I can’t remember tbh but the guys been charged so he must be suspected of something. BoP is a catch all they use for plenty of things. The fact you’ve came to their attention seems to be enough.

The club don't want to back the fans. If they respected us.They would fight our corner in same way Lawwell lies and deflects every time that mob cause issues. There's ample wiggle room here to show Killie up for the lack of good stewarding/crowd management instead of banning bears. It's not like they were throwing flares.

Lawwell was in amongst the hoardes in Rome at some rotten college.Anyone imagine in return Stewart Robertson feeling at home in the Bristol or in Bridgeton among punters during a walk day? Defend us ? They barely even want to be among us. There's a section of white collar class bears who really do look down on the most working class section of our support and want to keep distance .The endless hatred of the often mythical in 2019 FTP brigade/the hangers on at walks is often just coded class hatred and snobbery.

UB need to be more politically organised within the club to make sure young working class bears have a voice.

Were people not charged for going on the pitch at Hampden or was it something they dine while on the pitch? I can’t remember tbh but the guys been charged so he must be suspected of something. BoP is a catch all they use for plenty of things. The fact you’ve came to their attention seems to be enough.
Absolutely it's what they DO whilst on the pitch rather than just being there.

I've heard of fans being jailed for fighting each other on the pitch. Or for goading other supporters on the pitch. Or assaulting a player. Or even running about bollock naked whilst on the pitch.

Do any of that then hell mend you, I accept the criminal side of things.

But I call out criminalising simply CELEBRATING whilst on a pitch. Don't be on the park otherwise I cant argue with the club banning and the risk you put the club under from SFA / UEFA etc (and I'll be first in line to tell you my opinion on such stupid actions)...... but I find it shocking the police waste of resources.

I also call out why only this game and only Rangers, unless I can stand corrected for a fan being jailed for celebrating on the pitch some other time, match, club fixture?

Plenty of precedence of celebrating on the pitch. Scottish Cup Finals, Play Off Finals, League matches. In fact, though granted more down south, normally at the end of the season you get full stadiums running on a park to celebrate promotion, championships, avoiding relegation etc.

So how can all of a sudden, on this occasion, the same action be deemed criminal?

Absolutely it's what they do whilst on the pitch rather than just being there.

I've heard of fans being jailed for fighting each other on the pitch. Or for goading other supporters on the pitch. Or assaulting a player. Or even running about bollock naked whilst on the pitch.

Do any of that then hell mend you, I accept the criminal side of things.

But I call out criminalising simply CELEBRATING whilst on a pitch. Don't be on the park otherwise I cant argue with the club banning you but I find it shocking the police waste of resources.

I also call out why only this game and only Rangers, unless I can stand corrected for a fan being jailed for celebrating on the pitch some other time, match, club fixture?

Plenty of precedence of celebrating on the pitch. Scottish Cup Finals, Play Off Finals, League matches. In fact, though granted more down south, normally at the end of the season you get full stadiums running on a park to celebrate promotion, championships, avoiding relegation etc.

So how can all of a sudden, on this occasion, the same action be deemed criminal?
People have been going on for a few years now and it was only a matter of time before they clamped down. I assumed the shelter collapsing is why it happened here but maybe not. The crush outside etc added to the authorities interest in this match. I don’t think everybody charged after Hampden had assaulted people but my memory is beyond a joke nowadays!
All I see on google for simply being on the pitch is criminal trespass which I don’t think we have in Scotland?

Guilty until proven innocent.

Our club have made strides in the right direction in many ways but shit like this lets us down big time.

The likelihood is that the majority of those backing the club on this don't attend away games, dare I say?

Indefinite ban is harsh, but what did he/everyone think was going to happen after going onto the pitch.?
Being stupid should not see you banned from football and this utter buffoon Martin is just another halfwit employed by the club who really has no idea what being a Rangers supporter means to most people.
Feck me Broon and Thumbheid are allowed to get away with murder at Ibrox under this clowns watch while he stands back and watches them mock and goad our support.
Again just another Rangers employee, of which there are many not up to the job.

I've not read through all 8 pages, so apologies in advance if I've missed the point or the answer, but can I clarify....

It seems the fan is banned due to being arrested at Killie. I then read that people believe it's his own fault for being on the pitch.

Whilst I agree with that view (I don't want punters on the field), surely we've conflated wrongly being on the pitch and the arrest? Is it not the case this guys been arrested and hence banned for something more serious that noone knows and we just assume it's for invading the pitch?

How can you be arrested for being on the pitch? Genuine question...what would be the charge?

It must be for something else at the match that were unaware of the circumstances.

A good number of people go through court for encroaching onto the pitch during games. Often they'll be held in custody over the weekend as well if caught straight away.

Guilty until proven innocent.

Our club have made strides in the right direction in many ways but shit like this lets us down big time.

The likelihood is that the majority of those backing the club on this don't attend away games, dare I say?
What’s that got to do with it? Those backing the club are Rangers fans who are tarnished by the actions of others.

The club are carrying out what we all agree to when we enter into a season ticket agreement whether you like it or not. It is all covered in the terms and conditions of a season ticket.

7.Cancellation & Withdrawal of Season Ticket
7.1Without prejudice to any other remedies it may have, the Club shall have the right in the case of breach of the ground regulations to cancel and withdraw your season ticket. In the event of such cancellation no refund will be paid in respect of any unexpired portion of the season ticket.

INFORMATION
You should be aware that in terms of a protocol with Police Scotland the details of any arrest or detention occurring in connection with a football match may be shared with the Club. Football Banning Orders may be imposed on individuals who infringe these rules.

How did you work that one out?
It’s not really that difficult, Maybe Martin should be telling our players when you score stay on the field of play thus limiting the chances of the mentally challenged from feeling the need to run on the park to get their obligatory selfy.

It’s not really that difficult, Maybe Martin should be telling our players when you score stay on the field of play thus limiting the chances of the mentally challenged from feeling the need to run on the park to get their obligatory selfy.
Are you blaming Rangers players for this?

Are you blaming Rangers players for this?
Well if that’s what your taking from my post your an even bigger club plant than I gave you credit for.
Pretty disappointed as I thought you had me on ignore and I didn’t have to read you happy clappy shyte.

Last edited:
It’s a strange one for me. The ban seems very harsh considering the boys not been charged but if he’s been photographed on the park (he’ll have been captured on Rangers own cameras) it’ll be an open and shut case on Rangers behalf.

I understand the emotion but I’ve never been tempted to jump on the park no matter when the goal has been scored.

It’s not just Rangers who have OTT security officers

I know 2 people who were given “indefinite bans” elsewhere in the Scottish premier league, and their crime was to be too vocal in their disapproval of their team - one of them was told that he was over critical of a goalkeeper - both season ticket holders at their team

Well if that’s what your taking from my post your an even bigger club plant than I gave you credit for.
Pretty disappointed as I thought you had me on ignore and I didn’t have to read you happy clappy shyte.
Club plant? Aye even Rangers is our to get you ya paranoid wreck.

The players ran off the pitch and towards the support in a gesture that was saying to me," let's celebrate".

In what way are any of the players inviting or enticing the fans to come on to the pitch..?

Because if they were that's a bookable offence..

Very harsh by the club IMHO
It is, but anything else leaves them wide open. If they don't send a strong message they'll be accused of condoning it and then imagine the shit-storm if a fan, an opposition supporter, an opposition player or even one of our own players gets injured either accidentally or deliberately in a future pitch incursion.

The Club have nowhere to go on this. That said they've banned him for a period which has no definite end and they will review the length of the ban once the Court Case has finished.

This Rangers fan didn't get a banning order either

What's your point..?

The prosecution asked for one, the Judge didn't grant it. Rangers have no influence over the asking or the refusal.

Did Rangers impose a ban in the interim and then lift it after the case was concluded or in fact has that fan been banned by the Club and we just don't know about it. ?

One day we will learn that appeasing those who hate us does not work
What has this got to do with anyone who hates us..? The Club is acting to protect its reputation and to cover itself legally.

What would be the reaction if the Club did nothing and this person invaded the pitch at another match and did something to hurt someone on the pitch..?

Pandering to the people that hate us - as ever, this strategy gets you nowhere. The people that do so will continue to hate you no matter what you do and you only drive a wedge between those that like you.

A slap on the wrist would be appropriate here, may be ban til end of season or some kind of "final warning", then move on. We were all delighted and if I'd be pitch side I might have done the same.

As a community we never stand up for one another.

Granted he shouldn't have been on the pitch but all he was doing was celebrating.

Way over the top punishment to one of our own
It's not way over the top. It's the least they could do given the circumstances.

It's harsh that he has to lose his season ticket money but if he goes to Court and the Court are lenient with him then hopefully Rangers will reinstate his season ticket after a suitable ban.

Pandering to the people that hate us - as ever, this strategy gets you nowhere. The people that do so will continue to hate you no matter what you do and you only drive a wedge between those that like you.

A slap on the wrist would be appropriate here, may be ban til end of season or some kind of "final warning", then move on. We were all delighted and if I'd be pitch side I might have done the same.

The Club cannot stand up for criminal behaviour. What this kid did is against the law - you understand that don't you..?

It’s up to the club who they sell a ticket to and who they want representing them.

Isnt it funny how the club are so strict to the point they absolutely hammer this young lad to withdrawing his season ticket, banning him from games indefinitely, and send him a letter saying he besmirched the clubs good name etc

At the same time we’ve twice this season had fines or a section of Ibrox closed due to sectarian chanting at away european matches where the club have the names and addresses of every single fan who bought a ticket for our section , despite this not a single one of those travel club fans recieved any kind of punishment or letter or ban?

Talk about hypocrisy . Who dragged the clubs name through the mud more ? 1500 many well heeled and well known to the club in Warsaw singing despite being warned repeatedly songs that embarrass and do untold damage to our image and resulted in partial closure of Ibrox? Or a 15 year old celebrating a goal albeit on the park where he shouldn’t be?

The double standards from the club are the issue here .

The Club cannot stand up for criminal behaviour. What this kid did is against the law - you understand that don't you..?

There are degrees, and let the punishment fit the crime. He was a Bear who was overjoyed at a vital last second winner, that's it.

Should everyone with a criminal conviction be barred for life from Ibrox, why make it only football related, what about speeding fines?

And is it only those caught and convicted, perhaps moral agents like yourself can enforce self-banning, so anyone who's streamed a game or watched a pirate video or been in a street fight or taken a leek in public can just impose a life ban on themselves?

Isnt it funny how the club are so strict to the point they absolutely hammer this young lad to withdrawing his season ticket, banning him from games indefinitely, and send him a letter saying he besmirched the clubs good name etc

At the same time we’ve twice this season had fines or a section of Ibrox closed due to sectarian chanting at away european matches where the club have the names and addresses of every single fan who bought a ticket for our section , despite this not a single one of those travel club fans recieved any kind of punishment or letter or ban?

Talk about hypocrisy . Who dragged the clubs name through the mud more ? 1500 many well heeled and well known to the club in Warsaw singing despite being warned repeatedly songs that embarrass and do untold damage to our image and resulted in partial closure of Ibrox? Or a 15 year old celebrating a goal albeit on the park where he shouldn’t be?

The double standards from the club are the issue here .
How can the club identify which individual fans are singing what in someone else’s stadium?
You don’t have to tell me who’s dragging the clubs name through mud. One doesn’t make the other right and neither are Rangers’s fault.

Indefinite ban is harsh, but what did he/everyone think was going to happen after going onto the pitch.?
I’m afraid I have to agree, everyone knows you can’t run on to a pitch, even in the heat of the moment you are going to get done, but a lifetime ban is scandalous.

Who is it pandering to?

How can the club identify which individual fans are singing what in someone else’s stadium?
You don’t have to tell me who’s dragging the clubs name through mud. One doesn’t make the other right and neither are Rangers’s fault.
The club should have ordered the kid to a meeting on a set date at a set time. Gave him a final written warning on the matter.
I feel it needs stamped out, but there are ways to do these things.
After that? A 3 month ban.
Then maybe indefinite.

Who said one made the other right ?

What I said is the hypocrisy knows no bounds . The club are happy to publicly hammer a 15 year old boy for going on the park and “ show they mean business” , but when it comes to fans extremely well known to the club behaving in a way that UEFA deem worthy of partial closure of Ibrox , suddenly we are all collectively to blame , no bannings, no letters , no tickets removed or removal from travel club . We can all see the double standards here , I know you can as well you just won’t admit it .

A case of the club as usual taking the route of least resistance , opportunism to hammer an easy target , look how strict we are . In much the same way they like to blame the union bears for everything and anything that happens at one of our games, and turn a blind eye to all the rest .

I’d be livid at the time but I wouldn’t want him banned.

I’m not the type of person that enjoys seeing any fan getting treated like a criminal at the football.

Let's hope that we never have the chance to see if you are true to your word and just to let you know, I would want him or her banned.

i find it very harsh indeed this but is he banned for entering the pitch or was it maybe the fan who wrecked the disabled shelter? if this is just for entering the pitch i feel sorry for him but if its the causing of the damage done tonthe disabled section then i think rangers have obvs gave him the severe punishment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back