Been to the cinema by yourself?

Done it loads of times.

I work from home a lot so on quiet days I'll head up to the GFT to watch a film. Great way to spend an afternoon.

Yeah loads of times, my partner was living in England for 3 years, so while she was there I would go to the cinema a lot. I also went a lot when I was living in the States.

I quite like my own company anyway, so no problem for me.

I'm also happy to go have a meal on my own in a resturant, tough Strangely enough, I've never gone for a pint on my own.

A pint by yourself can be very relaxing.

Once I was at my sister-in-law's in London with my wife and 2 kids. She has 3 kids so the house was just mental.

Went to the pub with some peace and quiet and sank a few pints. Magic!

I'm 57 and only been to the pictures 5 times in my life . Doesn't matter what's on I can't sit through a film.

Didn't know Michael Owen's dad posted on here.

I've done it a couple of times, nothing wrong with it. Although each of those times was to an art house cinema in the afternoon, not sure I'd be up for going to a big multiplex on a Saturday night mind.

Go quite regularly on my own, not paying £20 for someone to watch a film they don't want to see and talk through. My wife wouldn't go on her own but I've never thought anything weird about it.

I've never done it, bit the wife simply refuses to see I.T. and I really want to see it so I think I'll go by myself.

There's a first time for everything!

Anyone else go by themself?

I do it all the time. Usually when I take the car in for a service, rather than hang about the service centre for 4+ hours, I jump in a taxi to the nearest mall & catch whatever is on.

Most cinemas here are empty during the day so normally it's just me in there.

Only once that I can think of. Last October I was in Glasgow for a few days and the kids at the in-laws so one night I went out and had a meal in Merchant City and then off to the cinema for Jack Reacher.

Started doing it recently if it'sa film I really want to see. My wife hates the cinema anyway. I'll be going to see Blade Runner on my own and won't need to worry about her sitting sighing all through it.

A few times. If there's no football (as in us) on a Saturday and the family are all out and I can't be arsed doing anything productive, there are worse ways to spend the afternoon.

Went to see Home Alone myself when I was about 13 and again to the passion of the christ. Couldnt get anyone to go with me either to those :D

I'm married with three kids and have a reasonably active social life, but I enjoy my own company.

Cinema, pubs, restaurants, galleries, I'll happily frequent all by myself.

Holidays though, going on holiday by yourself, I've never understood that.

I have a Cineworld Unlimited card and go myself once or twice a week. Don't see the big deal in going on my own. Arrive when I want, sit where I want and no distractions.

"Is it acceptable to use an umbrella?"

"Is it acceptable to go to the cinema by yourself?"

Quite eye-opening that grown men are insecure to the point these questions even exist

I find people that can't do things on their own stranger. How unconfident and how unsure of themselves must these people be?

I used to work away a lot, going out for dinner, to watch the football, cinema etc on my own was a pretty regular thing without a second thought. Otherwise I'd be sitting in a hotel room
eating room service and doing %^*& all for the whole evening.

I love films

Going to the cinema myself at non-peak times is really the only way to enjoy a serious film. Noone talking, noone on their phone, no weans pissing about.

Don't get me wrong, the films the kids want to see are different (Wonder Woman, Avengers etc)

For instance, the LOTR films, each one of them, cheeky half day in work then off to the cinema. The new Blade Runner will be the same

I'm married with three kids and have a reasonably active social life, but I enjoy my own company.

Cinema, pubs, restaurants, galleries, I'll happily frequent all by myself.

Holidays though, going on holiday by yourself, I've never understood that.

Me neither until I was on my honeymoon.

There was a woman probably mid 40s, who was at this small resort in Mauritius. I'd say the place was mainly newlyweds or couples.

I'd see her around the pool and at the bar herself, I just assumed her husband was playing golf or something. But she'd appear at meals at night herself so figured she was alone. She just went about her business though and seemed pretty happy.

Got talking to her and it turned out it was an anniversary holiday with her husband but he had passed away a couple of months before.

So now I'm not quick to judge. Why should you need a partner to see the world, you can't stay holed up and live as a recluse just because you don't have a significant other. Life's too short.

Cant say its something I have done myself or even really thought about until now. Usually just go to the cinema with the wife, if there is a film either of us really want to see, otherwise we just tend to wait until it comes out on blu-ray as its not always easy to get a babysitter. I guess thinking about it if it was one I desperately wanted to see on the big screen I would be tempted too try it

Loads of times - I love going myself, seeing what I want and not having to talk to anyone!

I work away so when I'm on leave I have the option of going during the week when it's quiet. As has been mentioned when the cinema is dead its perfect time to enjoy the film, rather than listening to kids screaming or people choking on their popcorn. Once a film starts its not like you can socialize with your mates anyway.

Seeing as you don't talk or even look at the people you're with once the film starts, it's perfectly fine to go to the cinema yourself.

I've done it a few times and never felt weird. At both empty screenings and sold out ones.

People with the unlimited cards do it all the time.

Of course.

You're sitting in the dark for a couple of hours not talking to anybody. Why wouldn't you go on your own?

Go on your own or don't see the film - seems an easy choice to me.

Absolutely. And another thing. Why is it almost compulsory to eat crap food? Why can't the cinemas offer better snack choices. Are films better with sugar?

Never went myself but if nobody wanted to see the film I was wanting to see I would be more than happy to go on my own.

My missus does it all the time , she works shifts so has time to kill during the day when most of her friends are working , if she goes to the cinema she feels like she has done something worthwhile rather than doss about the house

It makes it a f*cking nightmare to watch a film on Netflix though since she has seen nearly every decent film that comes out

I've never done it but I don't see anything wrong with it. it's not like you go to the cinema to talk.

Although some arseholes don't realise that

"Is it acceptable to use an umbrella?"

"Is it acceptable to go to the cinema by yourself?"

Quite eye-opening that grown men are insecure to the point these questions even exist

This thread title isn't "Is it acceptable to go..."

More of a gauge as to how many actually do it. The replies have certainly opened my eyes, I didn't know so many people did it.

I've never done it before, but wouldn't have a problem with it. Especially if it's a movie you really want to see, and there's no one to go with.

I have no qualms about going on my own to the likes of GFT, and every time I've been there plenty of others have been on their own. I've been to the IMAX on my own a couple of times, and always felt a bit awkward giving my ticket to the hot lassie on the door. That's just how I feel about myself, though, I've never say in the IMAX or multiplex and thought someone on their Todd was a weirdo.

Was away with work for 6 weeks a few years back and decided to go on one of the weekends. It was absolutely fine and have done it a few times at home now. Definitely the older I get the less I give a fck about what anybody thinks.

I've never done it, bit the wife simply refuses to see I.T. and I really want to see it so I think I'll go by myself.

Quite a lot actually and can watch it on peace without wife and kids.
Seriously even before they came when I worked in the city centre I would go straight after work sometimes, nothing wrong with it at all, gone are the day when " you need to take a burd " to the cinema.

I've never done it but wouldn't really see a problem with it.

Take a good curry in with you and you'd be fine;)

My Mrs is the exact same about this film...yet she sat and watched the bloody original with me on Monday!!!!

I've only done it once and it was when I was 16 and in California. The person I was staying with had stuff to do and just dropped me off there. Never done it since, but don't see anything wrong with it.

Never done cinema myself but I wouldn't see an issue, been to plenty of gigs myself and don't see anything wrong with it

not as if you go to have a chat anyway

Back