Ben Davies

It also doesn’t help that he has a liability in Barisic next to him who makes many mistakes defensively. A good left back in our team and we would play a lot better overall. The sooner yilmaz is fit the better.

Teams will still target that area aerially when Yilmaz is fit.

Is Yilmaz playing going to make Davies better in the air or be stronger in individual battles than he currently is ? The answer is no.

Is Yilmaz playing going to make Davies better in the air or be stronger in individual battles than he currently is ? The answer is no.
Sure he’s not as aerial dominant as Goldson but Davies still wins majority of the balls in the air. You and others are acting as if he doesn’t win any balls in the air, he does, he wins majority of them. The ones he doesn’t win you then need others around him to win the second ball, unfortunately Barisic is slow to react to a lot of things defensively.

Having a competent left back will also help that, Barisic defensively is a mess and that creates havoc at the back.

The full defence lack aggression, somebody who dominate the 6 yard box. All the passing about the back looks nice and certainly less of a bomb scare than it used to be but it is not defending! That aggression would win more goals from corners, which has been sadly missing for a while ( insert Balogun, Katic and Helander comments here).

Incorrect. He's not as good in the air but he's better in virtually every other department than Katic/Edmundson/Balogun.
I agree with all you say but bottom line is he the long term answer as we hoped at Centre Half ??
This inherent weakness in the air is already being targeted by other clubs and already set pieces are being played away from Goldson position to the area where you would expect the other Centre Half to command.
Frankly he ain’t and incapable of being that guy.

We are and will lose plenty goals in SPL which can only undermine any league aspirations we have in any future season on the assumption highly unlikely we will win the league this season.
As set pieces are now so important in goal scoring and conceding goals a big dilemma is can we afford to persevere with Davies with his skillset???
The jury is out at best .

Sure he’s not as aerial dominant as Goldson but Davies still wins majority of the balls in the air. You and others are acting as if he doesn’t win any balls in the air, he does, he wins majority of them. The ones he doesn’t win you then need others around him to win the second ball, unfortunately Barisic is slow to react to a lot of things defensively.

Having a competent left back will also help that, Barisic defensively is a mess and that creates havoc at the back.
It’s where he wins his headers that’s an issue.
He certainly doesn’t win them from attacking or defensive set pieces!
That’s the area where goals are conceded defensively.
I would also suggest that many of the headers he wins are uncontested headers.
Blaming Barisic is a bit harsh.
Under MB his style is to have both fullbacks pushed high and wide and run forward to deliver crosses.
That’s their principal job.
Of course they both have defensive duties but focus clearly forward.
That places a reliance on both Centre Halves to be commanding including aerially.

Ylimaz and Davies as our left side of defence in the SPL is giving me the fear. About £10million spent on what will be a clear weakness in the team. Wild.

Like a few of which ever back 4 we play, he is being made to look worse because our midfield check out for 20 minute spells in seemingly every game.

He's not Carlos Cuellar but he's the last of our problems.

I agree with all you say but bottom line is he the long term answer as we hoped at Centre Half ??
This inherent weakness in the air is already being targeted by other clubs and already set pieces are being played away from Goldson position to the area where you would expect the other Centre Half to command.
Frankly he ain’t and incapable of being that guy.

We are and will lose plenty goals in SPL which can only undermine any league aspirations we have in any future season on the assumption highly unlikely we will win the league this season.
As set pieces are now so important in goal scoring and conceding goals a big dilemma is can we afford to persevere with Davies with his skillset???
The jury is out at best .
His lack of ability in the air is being wildly overblown IMO. He excelled in the English Championship and they're hardly full of Pep's Barca type sides. It's clearly not his strongest point but his other attributes more than make up for it IMO.

Last night he got beaten in the air by an opposition centre back. That can happen to anybody, particularly in Scotland.

His lack of ability in the air is being wildly overblown IMO. He excelled in the English Championship and they're hardly full of Pep's Barca type sides. It's clearly not his strongest point but his other attributes more than make up for it IMO.

Last night he got beaten in the air by an opposition centre back. That can happen to anybody, particularly in Scotland.
I agree he has a lot of good qualities.
However he just doesn’t win any balls in the air from defensive set pieces.
Coupled with McGregor rooted to his line or flapping Jon in goals it ain’t a good look.
We need both centre halves to be commanding in the air and we are being targeted due to our weakness in that area.

Can't believe the criticism he's had over the 2nd goal last night. Ash Taylor is an absolute monster and favourite to win that ball all day long.

They did, recently as well, must have been what, at least 24 transfer windows ago?
Point is big clubs sign crap players all the time. Man Utd recently bought Diallo for £20m

Being signed by Liverpool doesn’t automatically make you a great player - that was in the past. You still need to put in the work and improve your game every day

I think there are signs of a good partnership developing between CG and Davies. I think the fact we don’t have reliable goalkeeper at this moment in time has definitely hindered their progression and confidence a little in some games. Once MB addresses the GK position in the summer then I think this will benefit the partnership. I would also like to see us purchase a physical type central defender similar in the mould of Katic but of better quality so that we can mix it up in defence when we come up against the more physical type teams in the SPFL. For me Davies is good with the ball on the ground but weaker in aerial duties.

Very avergage for me. He doesn't lead and he doesn't inspire confidence that when the ball is put in the mixer he is going to be putting his body on the line to stop it going in the net.

I think it's fair to say if Goldson was out the team that defence would be coughing up loads of goals.
With Goldson in the team we are coughing up loads of goals

Point is big clubs sign crap players all the time. Man Utd recently bought Diallo for £20m

Being signed by Liverpool doesn’t automatically make you a great player - that was in the past. You still need to put in the work and improve your game every day

Who said it makes you a "great player"? Not seen that said at all?

If a manager like Klopp is sanctioning a signing though it sure as hell suggests a level of competence rather than the label of "never a CB"

Man U signed Diallo for 42 million, I expect with time he will show himself to be a competent player and go on to have a very decent career. He is 20 years old rather than "crap"

Doesn't matter if you're a good footballer (which I think he is), if you're not physically strong to start with you'll struggle as a Rangers CB. Seems to lose a lot of individual battles against big physical strikers which is a worry. Same as Sands did at CB.

Doesn't matter if you're a good footballer (which I think he is), if you're not physically strong to start with you'll struggle as a Rangers CB. Seems to lose a lot of individual battles against big physical strikers which is a worry. Same as Sands did at CB.
This is Davies in a nutshell!

Was always concerned that he was too lightweight. Built like a skelf for a tall lad and has no physical presence.

It’s where he wins his headers that’s an issue.
He certainly doesn’t win them from attacking or defensive set pieces!
That’s the area where goals are conceded defensively.
I would also suggest that many of the headers he wins are uncontested headers.
Blaming Barisic is a bit harsh.
Under MB his style is to have both fullbacks pushed high and wide and run forward to deliver crosses.
That’s their principal job.
Of course they both have defensive duties but focus clearly forward.
That places a reliance on both Centre Halves to be commanding including aerially.
The point about defending set pieces is unfair to blame all on Davies. It’s a whole team issue rather than blaming it on one player.

I like Ben Davies. He has good points. But a lack of aerial aggression was noted from Preston fans and starting to see that quite a bit. Championship and Premiership similar that aerially you have to be good and you must be aggressive.

Everyone of our top or favourite Rangers central defenders, and you could argue it’s needed World wide, had aggression. It is an absolute must for us in this league and opening the door to the dross who’s main threat will be set pieces or second balls of poor clearances from an aerial route.

The point about defending set pieces is unfair to blame all on Davies. It’s a whole team issue rather than blaming it on one player.
The last time a slight, average Centre half moved to left back he became one of my favourite players so fingers crossed!

I think there are signs of a good partnership developing between CG and Davies. I think the fact we don’t have reliable goalkeeper at this moment in time has definitely hindered their progression and confidence a little in some games. Once MB addresses the GK position in the summer then I think this will benefit the partnership. I would also like to see us purchase a physical type central defender similar in the mould of Katic but of better quality so that we can mix it up in defence when we come up against the more physical type teams in the SPFL. For me Davies is good with the ball on the ground but weaker in aerial duties.
Definitely agree that a more commanding GK creates confidence in the defence.

Per the highlighted comment, I think we already have that in Soutter. Our big problem here is
1. Keeping him fit
2. He is a right sided CB, so better suited to playing instead of Goldson, rather than with him.

Naive in my book to believe a Centre Half is not an integral part of defending set pieces.
One of our weaknesses is an inability to header a ball in either box.
Defensively Goldsons role is to attack any ball that comes centrally in the box.
If the ball goes elsewhere which other teams are doing you expect our Centre half to pick up their chief threat.
He’s not effective at that.

It’s noticeable that I don’t see anybody saying that Davies does win headers defensively in the box from set pieces.

He’s still definitely the best partner for Goldson.

People will go overboard about how bad he is, then others will go overboard defending him.

In reality, he’s just really average.
But average on what scale ? He's is better than most SPL defenders. He isnt top EPL level by any means. The days of Butcher or Gough lording it over SPL level players are unfortunately long gone. We all know the markets we are shopping in these days

Naive in my book to believe a Centre Half is not an integral part of defending set pieces.
One of our weaknesses is an inability to header a ball in either box.
Defensively Goldsons role is to attack any ball that comes centrally in the box.
If the ball goes elsewhere which other teams are doing you expect our Centre half to pick up their chief threat.
He’s not effective at that.

It’s noticeable that I don’t see anybody saying that Davies does win headers defensively in the box from set pieces.

He’s still definitely the best partner for Goldson.
This post seems contradictory but is a good summation of Davies. He’s definitely a first pick right now, but going forward we need better.

His flakiness injury wise can’t be forgotten either just because he is on a good run of appearances.

This is an absolutely mental thread. Since coming back from injury how many games has he had? How many with Goldson as his partner? %^*& me gently, he's getting written off already.

This is an absolutely mental thread. Since coming back from injury how many games has he had? How many with Goldson as his partner? %^*& me gently, he's getting written off already.
Not all of the ire is directed at the player. People are annoyed at the club for spending such a big sum on a player who was not fit and is an age where we have little chance to recoup our fee.

The fact he hasn’t been a superstar after spending 4-5 months out with various injuries has compounded that.

Not all of the ire is directed at the player. People are annoyed at the club for spending such a big sum on a player who was not fit and is an age where we have little chance to recoup our fee.

The fact he hasn’t been a superstar after spending 4-5 months out with various injuries has compounded that.

He'd played 152 games in the 4 previous years and played for us when he should not have done which caused the injury. Sorry mate, it's a mental thread in my opinion (you might like it, that's your call) and it really talks more to our need to have someone to pan, constantly regardless of what's going on score wise.

As has been well chronicled, Beale's set up will always leave us vulnerable to conceding. Borna is definitely not helping on second balls with his flaky displays, Yilmaz (who seems to get smaller with every mention, currently he's still 5' 9" but that could change fast) will hopefully bring a better defensive dynamic.

As for people being annoyed at the club, too many people make too many guesses at what they think has occurred and not surprisingly, the guess is always slanted to the negative.

He'd played 152 games in the 4 previous years and played for us when he should not have done which caused the injury. Sorry mate, it's a mental thread in my opinion (you might like it, that's your call) and it really talks more to our need to have someone to pan, constantly regardless of what's going on score wise.

As has been well chronicled, Beale's set up will always leave us vulnerable to conceding. Borna is definitely not helping on second balls with his flaky displays, Yilmaz (who seems to get smaller with every mention, currently he's still 5' 9" but that could change fast) will hopefully bring a better defensive dynamic.

As for people being annoyed at the club, too many people make too many guesses at what they think has occurred and not surprisingly, the guess is always slanted to the negative.
We don’t know what goes on behind the scenes, but we did all see the club spend £4m on a centre half who was not fit, when we already had two international standard centre halves (Helander and Souttar) in the treatment room.

He wasn’t even available for the CL qualifiers, probably the most important matches we’ve played in years. Then he comes back from injury once the league is all but conceded. A disaster of a transfer.

But average on what scale ? He's is better than most SPL defenders. He isnt top EPL level by any means. The days of Butcher or Gough lording it over SPL level players are unfortunately long gone. We all know the markets we are shopping in these days

Average for a Rangers defender’s expected capabilities in 2023. Clearly if he was an average SPL defender then he’d be playing for a side sat in 6th.

Is that the Joe Worrall that’s captain of an EPL team alongside McKenna the other diddy according to FF experts
Worrall was absolute pish when he was here. Exactly the kind of loan we don’t need.

McKenna was always a decent defender. The fact that he was a Tim playing for Aberdeen blinded a lot to that.

Is that the Joe Worrall that’s captain of an EPL team alongside McKenna the other diddy according to FF experts
Russel Martin and Grant Hanley have been captains of EPL teams…

FWIW Worrall wasnt as bad as is suggested by many on here, just not as good as his price tag suggested.
Ben Davies isn’t the long term solution to Goldson’s CB partner IMO.

From what I have seen of Yilmaz I like him he is fast strong for his size and quick getting back to cover,admittedly small in stature but for me the right back position is our biggest problem Tav can't spell defending which will not go down well on here but if we were all honest he is an absolute liability and has been all season ,what Beale thinks of his defending I don't know but come the summer window we will find out

Am I missing something but why do people not rate him?

The goal yesterday was all on barisic.

Personally think him and CG are building a very positive relationship and gives us a fantastic foundation moving forward. No doubt in my mind they need a better GK Infront of them and a better defensive midfielder but so far so good.

Is it more people want him to be a failure so they can stick the boot in on his signing?
Davies is solid Borna not for the first time can see the opposing players in front of him and should assume the danger and get close enough to react positively!

The full defence lack aggression, somebody who dominate the 6 yard box. All the passing about the back looks nice and certainly less of a bomb scare than it used to be but it is not defending! That aggression would win more goals from corners, which has been sadly missing for a while ( insert Balogun, Katic and Helander comments here).
This. Far to soft.

Back