Best Story of meeting a Rangers player?

My Details are sketchy due to my age at the time.
But I was 5 year old (circa 1989) at a Group badminton lesson thing at the kelvin hall. I can’t mind why bomber was in attendance, but another sports person (who’s nome escapes me) was also there to promote the badminton/fitness thing.

anyway, the daily record were there to take a pic or 2 for the following days edition. The photographer asked bomber and other sports guy to pick a kid each to have on their shoulder for the picture. Bomber said I can’t not pick this young lad, me the full rangers kit wanker lol, socks and all at the badminton event. Lol. (Kit was the one with the small squares all over it)

I got on his shoulders and pic was taken. My dad still has the clipping in his house somewhere

I turned up to meet the Scotland squad in a hotel in Saudi when I was around 6. Roy aitken joked that he would throw me off the roof of the hotel and believe it or not I remember Big Eck telling he he wouldn't let him!

Met big Amo in city centre after a 2-0 victory over them at Ibrox. Charlie Adam free kick under the wall game. Was out all night and having a curer in the iron horse. Walked out the door and Allan Hutton was walking past. Told him he was different class the day before. Stood talking shite to him telling him I met big amo the night before. He was looking at me like “who the %^*& are you”

Bobby Russell used to stay on the same road as me and was friends with my mates Dad. Went round to my mates house one day and Bobby Russell and Davie Cooper were sitting in his living room. They both said hello and I think I just mumbled something while I stood there trying to take it in.

Tom Forsyth presented our League Cup winners medals in 1977.

Met Ally at NARSA convention and as I'm introducing myself, trying to be cool, my sister walks up and blurts out, "He named his dog after you". I did, but for some reason it felt a bit embarrassing.

Taking a piss at 99 NARSA convention and in walks Ian Ferguson. "Who decorated this shit hole?" The tiles were all green.

The day after the lovenkramds final I met the team at the airport, you could tell who the bears were by the smiles on their faces

me and my 2 mates couldn't get onto karting indoors in east Lothian until the private party finished. we waited for a while with a drink and then you hear gazzas voice,then through comes gazza,Super and Alan McClaren!!

also Whittaker was at my niece's wedding because his bird at the time was one of her mates. spoke to him at bar about but I was pissed,could see it in his face for me to get to %^*& lol. also his dad Gordon works with us as a mechanic.he's a good laff his dad but him himself seemed a bit of dour git.

Met Davie Robertson when I was about 14. He lived in Erskine at the time and was taking a notorious 5 mile short-cut through the top of Inchinnan which was a single lane bus only route. He was cutting through there about 4pm (I was on way home from school) at some speed and nearly knocked over my mate and I as we crossed between the 2 bus shelters - he had the audacity to stop, get out the car and shout at us.

1986 day before a Friday night Glasgow cup final against the scum I spent an hour is so with Super Ally.
On my way out from leaving him I said score me a hat trick tomorrow night.
His reply was away and fk yourself
Next day told my mates at work about it and the rest is history.
here I am now still telling you guys he scored that for me.
On the same day as I was leaving I passed Ferguson and Durrant who Ally was waiting on.
Must have looked at them funny as they both started to whistle the Billy Boys.

Was in the toilets ar Busby Hotel years ago when Ally McCoist wanders in. Ex wife worshipped him so as he's peeing away I'm fumbling about (pished) in my pocket to get a pound note for him to sign. He looks over as if wtf??. Probably thought I was either going to poof him or stab him. Anyway, took a pen out my work jacket and thrust it and the pound note at him. " Alright if I wash my hands first mate" he says, then signs it. Took it in good spirit. Yes, my ex was happy, for once.
A pound note. Lol.

I was 14 and Lewis Macleod had went off injured , ice on leg etc and he was the only of the team that day to come over to the side of the tunnel , so well done Lewis , was a good few young guys shouting on every player and injured Lewis comes over

I once inappropriately touched Albertz at the Duck Bay Marina, years ago when it was a nightclub. I’d get arrested for it these days. Buns of steel though, and he didn’t seem offended. :p

I've told this one before but I met Kris Boyd at a function at Ibrox, was getting him to sign something. I told him my name, which is 4-letters compared to the traditional 5-letter spelling. He just looked at me and asked me how to spell it.

Also saw Russell Latapy puffing away a doorway in Glasgow city centre when he was a Rangers player. Always thought that was strange to do in public when a professional player.

Crashed into Walter Smith in my go kart when I was a wee boy outside Ibrox. He had a laugh about it, grabbed my knee and told my dad “he’ll make a good centre half one day”. Sadly Walters prophecy didnt come true for me haha.

Mines wasn’t a player but the current manager we were in a pub in town after St Mirren game at Ibrox 1-0 we scrapped last Christmas ,anyhow we went in and who was sitting in the corner Stevie fu(king geeee ,aw I was like a 10 year old girl at a 1 direction concert so me and the mate went up to him he had bouncers in front him but said it’s okay let them past had a we cuddle , hand shake and picture n gave him a wee blast of he’s blue , he’s white in his ear was absolutely made up.
but I got the pic with my mate I wanted one with the gaffer myself but we wer told we had our chance. So what did I do mate was gabbing but I spotted the gaffer getting out his seat went to the toilet but bouncer wouldn’t let me in ,i know the toilet .so I waited outside he came out got my phone out and was showing him the videos of his unveiling I took from the stands after he saw them he was like right let’s get a picture together, as he walked away I said you going to win this league for us he said he ll do his very best!!
at the end of the night he was leaving so me n the mate decided as he was walking out in front of the whole pub geeing it he’s blue he’s white hes fu(king dynamite Steven Gerrard he gave us the thumbs up way a massive smile on his face as did his wife and friends. Still made up to this day!! The things you do when youre star struck eh :))

I've met loads and they were all brilliant in fairness but the best one was bill mohsni.

He had signed for Dundee United and was in asda at midnight , I just stopped him at the door for a selfie and he stopped chatted and I said I'll let you get on, don't want to keep you and he said to me , "no it's fine, then spent an hour talking about rangers, how man city are a rich club but not a big club like us , the Lee Erwin fight , how richard foster was a big rangers man and really tried hard , everyone loves Ally, he expected to end his career at Rangers (I stifled a laugh).
He also told me Stuart McCall walked in and on day one told him he would be away and ignored a lot of players (which is justified as they were rotten).

3x I said I'll leave you too it but was delighted that he just kept talking I depth about Rangers, I was very Impressed with him and the amount of topics he covered , I would say a player seemed like they didnt care (Foster) and he would tell examples as to why I was wrong, and things I didn't know.
Also rangers set up a praying area for him.

A great guy was Bilel.

I've met loads and they were all brilliant in fairness but the best one was bill mohsni.

He had signed for Dundee United and was in asda at midnight , I just stopped him at the door for a selfie and he stopped chatted and I said I'll let you get on, don't want to keep you and he said to me , "no it's fine, then spent an hour talking about rangers, how man city are a rich club but not a big club like us , the Lee Erwin fight , how richard foster was a big rangers man and really tried hard , everyone loves Ally, he expected to end his career at Rangers (I stifled a laugh).
He also told me Stuart McCall walked in and on day one told him he would be away and ignored a lot of players (which is justified as they were rotten).

3x I said I'll leave you too it but was delighted that he just kept talking I depth about Rangers, I was very Impressed with him and the amount of topics he covered , I would say a player seemed like they didnt care (Foster) and he would tell examples as to why I was wrong, and things I didn't know.
Also rangers set up a praying area for him.

A great guy was Bilel.
I’m pretty sure he went nuts at full time against Motherwell

seems a nice guy

About 12 yrs old and was at Cameron house for the week with the family. Fairly boring week, until when
playing snooker one day in walks Gazza and five bellies and challenged me and my cousins to a tournament. Needless to say our boring week soon transformed and my lucky older cousins staggered back into lodge around 5am that morning after an all nighter with them lol. What a legend he was.

James Beattie in Glasgow airport.He was flying back down to Southampton I was going down to jump and a cruise ship.I was buzzing,going on holiday and we had just pumped the filth 1-3 at their coup.Chewed the lugs off him for an hour,dont think he knew what I said once.

I’m pretty sure he went nuts at full time against Motherwell

seems a nice guy

He really came across as a good guy, he said that Lee Erwin started it with the shove and asked me what I would do?
I told him i would do the same and he said there you go, he pointed out it was the fact that there were so many watching and he was upset about losing and that being a man he wouldn't accept that humiliation of being shoved for no reason .
He went on to tell me he felt terrible because he was supposed to be a role model etc.

He really came across as a good guy, he said that Lee Erwin started it with the shove and asked me what I would do?
I told him i would do the same and he said there you go, he pointed out it was the fact that there were so many watching and he was upset about losing and that being a man he wouldn't accept that humiliation of being shoved for no reason .
He went on to tell me he felt terrible because he was supposed to be a role model etc.
Ah yeah

did the papers not run with story that he was angry at not getting a new contract or something so thats why it happened

Night out in Karbon, Shagger tried to get fired into my mate's missus. Was in the paper next day, double page spread with that leah shevlin going on about how their love was forever. Loveable rascal. My mate was a mhank and was spewing with rage while his missus was loving the attention.

My brothers ex’s grandfather was the scout who found Ally. Brother got me his autograph on the program of him scoring against Leeds Utd. Thinks it’s the Marseille one.

Ah yeah

did the papers not run with story that he was angry at not getting a new contract or something so thats why it happened

Yeah they said that In the paper.

There may have been truth to that because he told me McCall walked in and told him he would not play for the club again but that was before the game .

One thing we can all agree on was that the little rat deserved a boot up the arse.
Only Ricky foster went to help him Nicky law etc stood by while 2 or 3 attacked him at once , they were all cowards in our squad.
He also admitted Amy MacDonald was a doll.

I've met loads over the years but one stands out.
I used to work with Grahame Souness's brother & he invited me & my son to the Blackburn v Arsenal game when GS was manager,
So GS had us in his office right up until 20 minutes before kick off but with him was Walter Smith & at that time he was Man United assistant manager & he said he was there to look over a player for " Alex" some scandananavian left sided midfielder that played for Blackburn? GS,s brother big Bill said he didn't think he was a " Fergie " type of player.
Walter then replied not Alex Ferguson, Alex Mcleish!!!
Could hardly believe it these legends talking openly about the Rangers & they were winding my son up saying you better be a bluenose or they wouldn't sign his programme
What a day ,director,s box, players lounge never forget it

Haven’t met per say but was on the scene at the time. Mother was pregnant with me and her and my uncle were in the chippy. Man comes over to my mother and says “excuse me but has anyone told you that you look beautiful pregnant?” My mother turns round and goes “aye ok” thinking what a weirdo. Guy walks out and she turns to my uncle who is in shock and asks him what’s the matter. He replies “you do know that’s Mo Johnston?!”
So yeah cool story bro :cool:

Slightly off topic but hope the bears don't mind.My old man (sadly passed now but the best Rangers supporter I ever knew)made his way up to Pittodrie on a freezing cold December day by train but without a ticket from Glasgow.He's like a drowned rat by this time as it's snowing in Aberdeen.He decides the best chance of a ticket is to stand at players entrance and ask the Aberdeen players if they've any spare as they arrive at the ground.
First to arrive is big Eck,who is very sympathetic as he sees how cold and wet my Dad is,but doesn't have any spares.A few others pass by ,all of them very curteous,but no spare tickets.Then Willie Miller comes striding up,with a long black leather jacket on,acting the big man.My Dad says ""any spare tickets Willie"" to which he looks at my old man soaked to the skin with his Rangers scarf on and says""Aye, fuckin loads""and just walks straight by him into the ground.I know this isn't specifically about meeting a Gers player as such but I've always wanted to tell this story as it confirms Miller was an arrogant pick even way back then.Apologies again if off topic.

Me and a pal had nipped up to the Rangers shop from work one day and bought various items, including a pair of Rangers knickers(yes, they did sell them at one time). Anyway, on our way back to the car we bumped into Butcher and Andy Gray and asked for their autographs. The only thing we had to write on was, yip, the knickers. I'm sure I've still got them up the loft with a load of other Rangers stuff.

Super at a tournament in Vancouver. Called the Ethnic tournament......he was making a cameo for the Scotland team.

Gentlemen, who had time for everyone. Even called my daughter to talk to her.............

1995, I remember taking a bird to Duck Bay for a drink and whilst sitting chatting, I realised Paul Gascoigne was sitting on a bar stool at the end of the bar. Rather than bother him and ask for his autograph, I waited till I had to buy her another drink, approached him, shook his hand and said "all the best at Rangers".

I wish I'd asked for his autograph now!

Sold Alan McLaren his Sky TV deal just after he signed I think.

Seemed a gentleman, and a tragedy he had to pack it in so early.

Since someone pointed out that my Dennis Bergkamp post didn't fit the criteria, how's about this one.

Met Mervan Cellik at Inverness airport, we were up for our match there shortly after administration.

Cellik looked totally lost, on his own catching a flight from the airport after the game.

Back