Billy Gilmour on loan?

Camby_bear72

Chelsea youngster Billy Gilmour admits he is keen to leave on loan for first-team opportunities. The 17-year-old Scottish U21 midfielder joined Chelsea from Rangers last summer.

He told the Daily Record: "You see all the boys going out on loan at Chelsea and how much it’s benefiting them. Jake Clarke-Salter and Fikayo Tomori are out just now at Vitesse Arnhem in Holland and at Derby County.

"Tammy Abraham is at Aston Villa and Mason Mount is another at Derby and he has just been called into the full England squad. I played Under-18s last year to settle in. Now I’ve moved up to Under-23 and will try to kick on. I’ll take it bit by bit."

Doubt it. He's only going to go to a team where he'll play regularly, there's no point going on loan to train at a club that isn't Chelsea. He isn't getting into our midfield so he's not coming here

Seen him play on chelsea tv few times always a stand out, think more likely to stay down south on loan

He said himself that he needs to mature physically before he plays in a first team. The SPFL is the last place that Chelsea would send him.

I wouldn’t rule it out in quite the way others above do. When we were trying to persuade him to stay with us I believe that we told him that he could expect to be in the first team squad last season and to get a reasonable amount of first team game time. Of course that was us trying to persuade him to stay and show him his “pathway”. In so far as he isn’t our player anymore the dynamic is different now. We need guys who are in the first team on nothing other than merit.

what would messi think of some of the comments in this post??

too wee jesus christ
He is too wee at the moment, but it's hardly a surprise seeing as he is just 17.

The forum is full of folk whinging after a 4-1 win today, I'd hate to see what it would be like if we dropped points with a 17 year old Chelsea loanee playing :eek:

The hammer throwers up here would have a field day with young Gilmour, he needs to fill out a bit before he’s ready for first team.

He'll join the long list of talented players who don't make the grade at chelsea imo, they've had a top class youth set up for years now winning everything domestically, but very few have made the 1st team.

Wee man will be a star but nowhere near ready for our midfield.

Wish him all the best and success for his career.

I dont see this young guy, playing in their first team, bought to improve and polish then sell him on for a lot of money, to much for us, and he will end up in the EPL making a lot of Wonga but I doubt very much in the way of medals or trophy.

I don't think he is ready for regular 1st team football yet. Maybe next season?

He’s probably on 10K a week mate
It’s probably the £10,000 - £15,000 a week he’ll be getting at Chelsea that turned his head.

Here's the thing...if he had stayed with us, he would probably be breaking into our first team next year, on maybe 5k a week
Then after, maybe 2 seasons, if he was successful with us, he would probably be on 20k a week, which is what he still may be on at Chelsea in 2 or 3 years, because he won't get into their first team by that age.
Then, he could have moved from us to an EPL team for big money, with a big signing on fee, making the club some decent money and having a far greater number of first team appearances under his belt.

Would have been better staying with us until he knew who our new manager was going to be. For me, he made the wrong choice of career move.

He’ll be sent on loan to the continent when it’s time, not us. Chelsea will not want of their promising skilful young talents getting maimed by a hammer thrower in the SPL, who will be unlikely to even receive a card for his assault

He will earn millions from the game.

Surely at this age, his development is more important? And isn't one of the most important aspects of his development getting first team experience at a decent level?
Not if he never makes the break through. At 16 he could have taken the risk of staying with us and potentially never making it or set himself up for life with 1 contract.

Not if he never makes the break through. At 16 he could have taken the risk of staying with us and potentially never making it or set himself up for life with 1 contract.

I suppose we'll find out in time.

For the record, I'd say he would have had a much better chance of making it with us (especially with SG in charge) than he will at Chelsea, their youth players don't have the best record for making the first team do they?

He might get more muscular but the too wee comment is pointless. Pretty much all men stop growing in height around the 16/17 mark. He’s likely as tall as he’s going to get.

He'll join the long list of talented players who don't make the grade at chelsea imo, they've had a top class youth set up for years now winning everything domestically, but very few have made the 1st team.

None have.

These BG thread's always end up full of grown men acting like bitter/mental exes.

Morgan is better than him? haha

He is 17 years old and already smashing it with the Chelsea U23's and playing every game for them.

https://us.soccerway.com/teams/england/chelsea-u23/37156/

Also scored a hat trick in one of the last games of the Youth Champions League.

I think people are misunderstanding the article and thinking it is not going well for him down there where in fact it is going great and it is just that he is hungry to develop and is already willing to go to another first team on loan to get experience. He could just keep playing for the U23's but clearly wants to challenge himself.

Next summer or the one after that, I would look at getting him on a 2 year loan. He is going to be a class player.

Last edited:
People who's first comment in 2018 when looking at the ability of a footballer is "to wee" just get in the f*cking bin.

Its still happening mate, friend of mines wee boy was playing for celtic and they r still releasing youngsters who r more talented compared to the bigger physical players

Its still happening mate, friend of mines wee boy was playing for celtic and they r still releasing youngsters who r more talented compared to the bigger physical players

I'm B licensed as a coach, played at an ok level. The game is becoming robotic, same patterns over and over by athletes rather than players.

Given the choice between player and athlete I'll take the player. There is a school of thought that you get the biggest/strongest/fittest and you then give them the tools to be effective players. Its making the game sterile. There are certain things you simply cant coach. A player that can read the game and understand where he/she needs to be at any given time can be made fitter and stronger.

Its much harder to give the big/strong player the tools to be able to read the game.

Chelsea youngster Billy Gilmour admits he is keen to leave on loan for first-team opportunities. The 17-year-old Scottish U21 midfielder joined Chelsea from Rangers last summer.

He told the Daily Record: "You see all the boys going out on loan at Chelsea and how much it’s benefiting them. Jake Clarke-Salter and Fikayo Tomori are out just now at Vitesse Arnhem in Holland and at Derby County.

"Tammy Abraham is at Aston Villa and Mason Mount is another at Derby and he has just been called into the full England squad. I played Under-18s last year to settle in. Now I’ve moved up to Under-23 and will try to kick on. I’ll take it bit by bit."

He’d get booted off the park in Scotland. Needs to develop a bit more yet... he’ll get there though!

Back