Billy McNeill passed away

Sad news. A true legend of Scottish football. R.I.P. Billy. Thoughts and condolences are with his family.

RIP Billy
As posted by others, part of a disappearing breed. Hark back to a day when players respected each other.

When we think of the guys of that generation and how little they really made from the game compared to so many nowadays who could not lace their boots but are millionaires.

^^^ this, and the “open secret” are the two things that always come to mind when he was mentioned. Nevertheless, condolences to his family and friends for having lost someone to a horrible disease. RIP.

I’m genuinely sorry the man has gone even worse to be robbed of his memories. However He and Stein knew and didn’t report it to the police - why?

His co-commentaries in the 80s and 90s when we were playing were as unbiased as they come.

Shame
I remember when he did co-commentary on BBC. Maybe about the same time as Jock Brown moved from Scotsport.

Always came across as much fairer than what we put up with now with Walker and Sutton.

When we were having a minutes silence for a legend at Ibrox V Aberdeen the sheep fans decided that he wasnt their player and therefore they wouldnt take part in the silence, they would applaud instead. While Rangers fans were standing in silence they began to applaud but they quickly stopped when it was realised that the silence also was a tribute to the victims of a plane crash.

Anyone remember?

My brother was at school (Victoria Drive in Scotstoun) with the girl who later went on to be a dancer in the White Heather Club (older Bears will remember) and married Billy. We mentioned this to him in his pub, he was really pleased at the memory and we had a really good chat. He wished us all the best for the game. A true gentleman, best wishes to Liz and the family.

There may be some link but it could be that they would have developed dementia anyway as it really is so common. Also very prevalent in women of that generation. There’s so many different types of dementia too. A truly horrible, life limiting disease for the sufferer and their family.

RIP Billy McNeil
My condolences to his family.
I've no idea if heading a football can be a contributing factor in dementia but more women die of dementia than men as they live longer but up to a certain age its pretty even.

Rest in peace

A man with class and dignity, from reading this thread you can see he transcends football and doesn't matter ehat team you support

A far cry from thier current set up, players right through to thier classless captain and caretaker manager

Would they have one if John Greig or Walter Smith died . I think we all know the answer .! I’m sorry he died and I think he was a decent guy but don’t see why we should hold a minutes silence
Who cares what they would do, we do things properly and what is the respectful thing to do.
If the club decides to have a minutes silence it should be treated as every one we take part in.

A decent man , a credit to his club and country and a well respected opponent. He did not deserve to suffer with that dreadful illness , unlike certain others who are employed by the club he served.
Condolences to his family.

He was a celtic man and captain and manager through and through.Not my cup of tea right enough,but when you see the trash who captain and manage them now it makes you realise he was not bad at all. RIP

I met Billy once at a sportsman's dinner, i was there with my Celtic supporting mate and he was too embarrassed to speak to Billy so i went over and introduced myself as a bluenose and shouted my mate over. He was old school, no bs from him whatsoever and a perfect gentleman, he spoke to us for ages and was a real scottish football man, he was a giant in british football and although he was a celtic man he had respect from all sides.

R.I.P

McNeill gave me one of my most obscure yet enduring memories in Scottish football.

Watching him on TV almost quiver in fear as Butcher waded into the dressing room, almost kicking the door down.

RIP Billy
I’m genuinely sorry the man has gone even worse to be robbed of his memories. However He and Stein knew and didn’t report it to the police - why?

Give it a rest eh.

Just for today.

A hundred other threads you can discuss that on.

For me, there should be.

Especially as he also managed Aberdeen - who we play next.

Would like to think that’s their will be on Sunday I remember the Jim Baxter respect they showed at
Who cares what they would do, we do things properly and what is the respectful thing to do.
If the club decides to have a minutes silence it should be treated as every one we take part in.

100% well said

Sad News. Horrible disease that must have been horrendous in his last few years.

RIP Billy

RIP Billy and condolences to all family and friends.

A giant of the Scottish game has passed away.

Back