Billy McNeill passed away

Interesting story.

How did your Uncle know him mate. Where did he travel to?
Not sure how they knew each other, but he travelled to Canada. My dad remembers my uncle taking him to a pub which Billy McNeil owned I think and spending an evening in his company. I've let my cousin know he has passed, when he gets up I'll ask him how his dad knew Billy.

Sorry to sidetrack your post slightly but is it not the case that they are relating many cases of dementia to players of that era who frequently headed the older type ball , off the top of my head I can think of McPhail of Celtic (can't remember whether lit was John or Billy) Jeff Astle of West Brom and Frank Kopel of Dundee United

There may be some link but it could be that they would have developed dementia anyway as it really is so common. Also very prevalent in women of that generation. There’s so many different types of dementia too. A truly horrible, life limiting disease for the sufferer and their family.

RIP Billy McNeil

A player before my time but always thought he carried himself with a dignity & respect that is all too uncommon in today’s game.

Football rivalries pale into insignificance on occasions such as these.

RIP Billy.

A legend of the Scottish game who knew how to conduct himself as the captain and manager of Celtic. Condolences to his friends and his family. RIP Mr Mcneil.

Genuinely sorry to hear about this.

Billy McNeil came from an age where our players fought each other hard on the pitch, but were full of respect for each other and often friends off it.

To fade away to a horrible disease like dementia seems to me a hugely cruel way to go for a man who was in every way a colossus in our game’s history.

He and our own John Greig will undoubtedly go down as two of the greatest captains Scottish club football has ever produced. It was incredible that we were blessed with their presences on the field of play in the same era, one of those little quirks like Messi / CR7 & Borg / McEnroe that sport seems to throw up from time to time.

So, instead of remembering his as he was in his last days, I’ll remember him as a respected foe and a gentleman.

RIP Mr McNeill. Thoughts very much with his family this sad day

Last edited:
Another case of heading football linked with dementia, maybe ? Anyone subscribe to that theory ?

Firstly, RIP Billy McNeil, by all accounts a proper gentleman and great ambassador for Scottish football.

With regards the dementia being linked to heading a football, in this instance I don’t buy it. He was 79 years old (a good innings by any standards) and additionally plenty people younger (that have never kicked a ball) have had it as well.

I don’t think any Celtic captain ( certainly nowadays ) has carried themselves with as much dignity and class as Billy McNeil ,top fella ,I’ve met pat bonnar as well ,absolute gentleman .

RIP Billy
You always knew you were in a game when he played against us - gave his all on the pitch & had dignity off it - for that he commanded respect
Thoughts with close family & friends

Condolences to the McNeil Family at this sad time , Billy McNeil was the perfect example of a real football Captain and was admired by many supporters of all Clubs . RIP Billy McNeil , you were one of the all time greats .

Sad news indeed.

I remember Billy McNeil as the captain of our greatest rivals who as a decent and honourble man always came across as measured about the rivalry.

Condolences to Billy’s family.

RIP

Sad news, a terrible disease dementia. Mr McNeil was a proper Celtic captain and conducted himself accordingly. RIP

RIP. A good professional and Captain back in a day when there was genuine respect between the teams.

Some disgusting comments under Rangers’ twitter post.

We as a support are better than that. I hate when we’re our own worst enemy, and I hate when minority sections give us a bad name in sad circumstances like this.

Billy McNeil was a nice man who represented this country with pride, regardless of his allegiance to our foes.

RIP

Great statement by the club and a very nice touch to have Billy’s friend of over 50 years, John Greig, also add his words.

No true Ranger would ever act as some of those twitter twats. I don’t care if they have a display pic of Gerrard or Morelos, they are Ned scum

RIP Billy McNeil, a sad end and so heartbreaking for his family to watch his decline in health due to that horrible condition. He played before my time but I know my wee Rangers daft granny somehow had a wee soft spot for him. Don't ask me why, but she always liked him.

Back