Butland vs Klos

I rate Butland and think he's been a great addition but there is no doubt that our support has overhyped him a little
He has been great for us, one of our best signings in some time.

Despite this, some in our support do grossly over-hype him & the juvenile reaction to him not making the England squad was an absolute riddy.

He is not in the stratosphere of Stefan Klos, for all I like him.

Yup. The blue tinted specs will be donned. The reality is Klos was never in the reckoning of the German national side (rightly or wrongly). Butland is very much part of the debate about who goes to the euros for one of the tournaments favourites.
Across his career Klos was competing against Kopke, Illgner, Lehmann and Kahn.

Four genuine world class goalkeepers. Butland has never had that competition at England level.

Klos was also in a Dortmund side that went to two European finals and won two Bundesligas.

Jack Butland is an excellent keeper there is no denying. He has been the best signing of the season for us imo.
That said though Klos was in a different league all together. The guy was immense.
We were spoiled with Goram, Klos and McGregor. That's not even mentioning the others around that time I.e Niemi, Charbbonier etc.

Yup. The blue tinted specs will be donned. The reality is Klos was never in the reckoning of the German national side (rightly or wrongly). Butland is very much part of the debate about who goes to the euros for one of the tournaments favourites.
So I assume that applies to Aaron Ramsdale and Nick Pope as well?

I think in the last few games we have probably seen a couple of weaknesses in Butlands game. Penalties isn't a strong point, and that's now 3 goals he has conceded in recent weeks when the balls been close to his feet.

He is still magnificent though.

Klos was verging on world class.
Butland is a superb keeper, but I’m not sure you could say that about him.

We’ve had a fantastic selection of goalies in my time- Woods, Goram,Klos,McGregor Butland. Even the second rate ones have been superb.

Klos was a great goalkeeper, one of the best in Europe.
While Butland is good and has made some phenomenal saves his reputation definitely benefited from the fact Rangers were so poor first few months of the season and he stood out.

It’s Klos and it’s quite a disservice to him being compared to someone that’s not even been here a full season, as good as Butland has been.

The first really good keeper we've had since I began watching Rangers was Chris Woods (respect to the others before that - but all they had quite a few mistakes in them) and we've been lucky since then with our No.1s. Overall it's very close for our greatest ever but I'd give it to Goram with probably McGregor just edging Klos for second.
I think that's a fair assessment, I don't have any stats to back this up but in my memory Gorams goalkeeping won us a few league titles and he always saved his best for the old firm matches.

England's keepers are absolutely dog shite right now which helps.

They had Oliver Khan in fairness haha

Goram, Klos and McGregor have been the best Rangers keepers I've ever seen. Chris Woods gets an honourable mention in dispatches. As much as I like Jack, its far too early to judge him against the Greats.

If we had Klos playing on Sunday we would have won. The first goal was absolutely gash from both Tavernier and Butland. The ball trundled over the line in the end. Should have saved it.

If we had Klos playing on Sunday we would have won. The first goal was absolutely gash from both Tavernier and Butland. The ball trundled over the line in the end. Should have saved it.
Yes but Butland has more than played his part in getting to where we are.

Klos was sensational. I think people have genuinely forgotten just how good he was over the years.

He was up against Kahn, Illgner, Kopke and Lehmann at international level. He was incredibly unfortunate to not get capped in that era.

Love Butland, he just isn't in the same conversation as Klos.

There’s a reason Stefan was given the name “Der Goalie”. Even more remarkable given he was ultimately the man who replaced THE Goalie (Charbonnier was never going to be No.1 long term, Advocaat had his eye on Stefan all along).

Coincidentally, I’ve never forgiven McLeish for how he treated Klos when he returned from injury.

He said to the press “I’ve lost my Superman” when Klos got injured, but when he signed Waterreus he got all infatuated by the fact he could kick with both feet.

Waterreus had a couple of shockers, especially in Artmedia, and McLeish throws Klos to the wolves in a cup tie at Parkhead where he has a howler.

Then he drops him for Waterreus again!

Stefan Klos was an outstanding goalkeeper. Butland is decent but I doubt we will ever be speaking of him in the same terms we do Klos, Goram, Woods and McGregor

Both excellent. Some aspects of Jack's game are better eg crosses and kicking. Shot stopping Klos has the edge but Jack's excellent mostly in that regard.

Its Klos by an absolute distance. I love Butland but he hasn’t yet had his ‘game’ vs celtic where we look on it as him personally getting us a win or a draw in his 3 attempts. If anything, he was potentially damaging on sunday. Shagger and Goram would have 2 of those games a season.

Butland has only played 3 OF’s so im sure that will come. Either way, he isn’t as good as Klos.

I rate Butland and think he's been a great addition but there is no doubt that our support has overhyped him a little

I think Butland is probably the best Keeper we could get under the financial constraints of where we are.

No doubting he is a qaulity keeper but, i dont think he has won us games like Goram, McGregor (last 2 seasons aside) and Klos did in their times as Rangers number 1.

He definitely has the capability to do what they guys done for us but as of yet hes not reached they levels of they guys at there peak who regularly won us big games with outstanding performances.

Sparta away is probably the best game he had for us he was outstanding and won us a point that night, also feel he could have done a bit better with some goals we have lost recently.

We could be doing with him having his best game away at Piggery keeping a clean sheet and helping us win 3 points.

Im 41 n Klos was my favourite keeper growing up.

If i remember right did Klos not pay half/some of the transfer fee because he was desperate for the move??

A bit early in butland's rangers career to start comparisons with the likes of klos. He was a great servant to the club over a number of seasons. Butland's not even finished one yet

Back