Cedric Itten

Agreed GY, i have saw flashes of something now and again. He is capable of moments of real skill.

Just not sure anymore we can wait on him to get comfortable. Falls into the 'sell' category now for me.

Roofe, in fairness is in that very same category, he is a 'sell' for me as well. Not available enough for a top earner and nowhere near the standard of Alfie when leading the line. He does have that killer instinct in front of goal, but still a 'sell'.

Have to agree on both players AI.

I know many will disagree with us on Roofe, but he’s on one of our larger salaries & still looked very rusty on the last weeks cameos.

We now NEED him in these next two matches, and I’m concerned about his readiness to deliver.

Time will tell, but I’m a sell too.

We signed him on the back of 30 goals in 61 games in the top flight of Swiss football. A league far better and technical than ours.

He has scored at international level.

Someone posted a youtube video of his goals, in one of the weekly threads, a great variety.

He has scored against Arsenal, Bayern Munich, Real Madrid this season :)

can we put this nonsense to bed. He can quite clearly get chances and score goals.

maybe his style isn’t suited to us, we were firing balls up to him last night as if he was Mark Hateley , another thread has established Scott Wright is sh!te apparently, Sands isn’t good enough (whilst we are at it I personally thought ten touch Sakala was also poor) maybe he didn’t get much help from his team mates.
He’s 25.

The Swiss league is poorer than our league.

Counting friendly goals is bizarre.

He has scored 7 goals for us in what must be 38+ games, he quite simply isn’t good enough for us and has failed to impress in all but two of his 13/14 starts.

You really can’t argue against that and the “it’s his team mates fault” argument can only be used so long, he cost nearly 3 million quid. He doesn’t get a lot of chances to score, lack of movement and pace are the reasons for that.

Huge drop off from Alfie, or even Roofe.

I was more excited with him than Roofe, but he really hasn’t done anything to justify the fee we paid and couldn’t get a start for arguably the worst side in Bundesliga history.

So no idea what “nonsense” you’re referring to, genuinely amazed anyone can argue that he gets chances. Isn’t anywhere near good enough.

We signed him on the back of 30 goals in 61 games in the top flight of Swiss football. A league far better and technical than ours.

Someone posted a youtube video of his goals, in one of the weekly threads, a great variety.

can we put this nonsense to bed. He can quite clearly get chances and score goals.

maybe his style isn’t suited to us, we were firing balls up to him last night as if he was Mark Hateley , another thread has established Scott Wright is sh!te apparently, Sands isn’t good enough (whilst we are at it I personally thought ten touch Sakala was also poor) maybe he didn’t get much help from his team mates.

Ajeti had a great record in Switzerland as well and is utterly dreadful.

• There’s little strength, he won’t bully anyone
  • There‘s little skill to beat a man
  • He’s not lightening quick
  • He doesn’t hold the ball up
  • Positionally, he’s a yard short

• He does have a decent shot on him.

Unfortunately the cons vastly outnumber the pros

Reminds me of Tore Andre Flo.

No good with his back to goal. Not great in the air for a big guy. But will pick up goals over the course of a season.

Wonder where all the freaks are that argued blindly that recalling him was some kind of masterstroke. Idiots.

I had a disagreement with some FIFA type “manager” on here that said I was talking nonsense when I pointed out he won’t bring anything substantial to the party.

When Itten and Roofe signed, I knew at least we had one out of the two.
Never ever saw any potential in this guy.
From day one.

Touch poor, and for a center forward, he is so light weight.

He was our modern day version of Martin Henderson!

It really concerns me how poor our signings of late have been.
And it’s not all Gerrard’s fault!

Itten for the money we paid, has been another shocking signing.
Amongst many!

It seems playing at cannon fodder team Fuerth has degraded his abilities. He wasn't as bad as how he performed last night before he went over to Germany.

I think we should try get him moved on before Monday , get him off the payroll.

I'd rather give a youngster from the reserves an opportunity if 3rd choice is needed

He’s not got it. He’s not had a “run of games” because his not good enough.

This is why he wasn’t getting a game with us last season and this us why he wasn’t getting a game in Germany.

Nice guy and I hope he goes on to enjoy his career. However, it won’t be with us for much longer.

Sands = 2 games in, in a defensive minded position
Sakala = One of the best players on the pitch last night
Roofe = 2nd top goalscorer behind Morelos

:shh:

Sands won’t be here next year.
Sakala was one of the worst first half. Admittedly a better second half.
Roofe isn’t good enough to lead our line.

• There’s little strength, he won’t bully anyone
  • There‘s little skill to beat a man
  • He’s not lightening quick
  • He doesn’t hold the ball up
  • Positionally, he’s a yard short

• He does have a decent shot on him.

Unfortunately the cons vastly outnumber the pros
A very fair summary and almost word for word how I described him.

He has no outstanding attributes.

He’s 25.

He has scored 7 goals for us in what must be 38+ games, he quite simply isn’t good enough for us and has failed to impress in all but two of his 13/14 starts.

You really can’t argue against that and the “it’s his team mates fault” argument can only be used so long, he cost nearly 3 million quid. He doesn’t get a lot of chances to score, lack of movement and pace are the reasons for that.

I was more excited with him than Roofe, but he really hasn’t done anything to justify the fee we paid and couldn’t get a start for arguably the worst side in Bundesliga history.

So no idea what “nonsense” you’re referring to, genuinely amazed anyone can argue that he gets chances. Isn’t anywhere near good enough.

Swiss Sebo

The fact his 'highlights' are that he scored in a couple friendly's and his Youtube video is varied tells you it all - He's scored more than 6 goals in a season once in his career.

His Career goalscoring record is:

I've always thought Itten was a bit of a damp squib of a player. I have never voiced it, whilst last season I always heard 'he needs a chance' I thought he had a few chances and never really impressed me, yes, Motherwell aside.

Just a player that has never impressed me, and of course, I was always rooting for him. Seems a decent boy, but a waste of money and not anywhere near our level.

It seems playing at cannon fodder team Fuerth has degraded his abilities. He wasn't as bad as how he performed last night before he went over to Germany.
That’s what I thought lastnight maybe lastnight was a low for him it was a dreadfully ugly night and he can give more in next games - he will have to else he certainly won’t be starting . I found it most difficult to watch how completely he seemed to be man marked so rarely managed to escape Fitzwater’s clutches .
Still looks like a player who needs partnered in the front line to me which isn’t gvb’s intended setup . Would we try him in another setup ?

Waste of a transfer .. not suitable for our game

Maybe not been given enough time but the chances he's had not much going for him 3 or 4 good balls across the box last night he's nowhere Defoe scores them just saying

But he's there and hopefully he can prove us wrong

He’s actually Scored some lovely goals for us, including Real Madrid, and that was why I thought he could get himself back into consideration with Morelos away.

Last night, as many have said, there were some deliveries that a good striker would have died for, but Ced just wasn’t attuned, mentally or physically.

I’m now gone with him I’m afraid. It now looks like our only genuine cover for Morelos is Roofe, who didn’t look close to the required fitness level when he had his cameo last night.
The one that got me was his header when he gets in front of the defender and misses the goal by about 9 yards 2feet and 3inches

Yeah yeah yeah. Keep hearing this tired old nonsense about how he 'must have something' based on a couple of goals against Motherwell and his stats from a league 9 places lower than Scotland in the UEFA rankings. It's remarkable that those claiming he 'must have something' seem incapable of identifying positive attributes that could form the basis of the 'something' they hope hemight eventually demonstrate. In 18 months at Ibrox the guy has never progressed beyond 4th choice striker and if we had been able to sell him following his unconvincing loan spell, we would probably have kept JD till the end of the season.
Yeah, yeah yeah? I’m as bored as you are if that’s any consolation mate.

Everybody knows that strikers need to be sharp and have some kind of rhythm to show their best. He’s only been back training with us for a couple of weeks and had 2 games but he’s expected to hit the ground running in a team that was badly disjointed due to there being so many absences.

There’s a lot of footballing savants on here that seem to be able to divine a guy’s ability from watching some minutes here and there. Despite the collective wisdom on here he has still been consistently been picked for Swiss squads and has seven caps. Maybe their managers are know nothings despite the fact they are 13th in the world - that’s 25 places above Scotland.

With Roofe back and Alfie obviously ahead of him I doubt he’ll get a run of games to prove the point either way in any case.

I am resetting my thoughts about Itten, i always thought he would come good but having a rethink now as it is looking increasingly unlikely.

He’s 25.

sorry but that is complete nonsense. The Swiss league is of a far higher standard. When was the last time a Scottish team was in the Champions League. What is the record in head to head Scottish v Swiss teams.

He turned 25 a month ago, from turning 20 he went

5/16
6/10
19/35

what bit of 30 goals in 61 games in the Swiss league do you not get ? averaging 1 in 2 is a good average in any league.

He has 7 goals in something like 9 starts for us.

I never said he was good enough but suggesting he doesn‘t score goals despite the stats showing he clearly does Is clearly nonsense.

The Swiss league is of a far higher standard.
No it isn’t.

Us, them and probably Hibs would beat most of their teams. The rankings show our league is better, by miles.

What part of him not impressing in 12 of his 14 starts are you not getting?

He’s okay. Not worth what we paid. Hugely underwhelming.

Last edited:
sorry but that is complete nonsense. The Swiss league is of a far higher standard. When was the last time a Scottish team was in the Champions League. What is the record in head to head Scottish v Swiss teams.

He turned 25 a month ago, from turning 20 he went

5/16
6/10
19/35

what bit of 30 goals in 61 games in the Swiss league do you not get ? averaging 1 in 2 is a good average in any league.

He has 7 goals in something like 9 starts for us.

I never said he was good enough but suggesting he doesn‘t score goals despite the stats showing he clearly does Is clearly nonsense.

At least get your stats factually correct. Almost all of his goals have been from the subs bench. Your claim of '7 goals in 9 starts' is nonsense.

If on the other hand you count appearances from the subs bench as 'starts' then he has had a lot of them. In fact 37 appearances in season 20/21 scoring 7 goals. 4 of those were when coming on as a sub in games against Motherwell. He has struggled to secure starts since we signed him, either with us or when sent out on loan to gain match experience. We will struggle to get a decent fee if we can convince anyone to take him off our hands.

At least get your stats factually correct. Almost all of his goals have been from the subs bench. Your claim of '7 goals in 9 starts' is nonsense.

If on the other hand you count appearances from the subs bench as 'starts' then he has had a lot of them. In fact 37 appearances in season 20/21 scoring 7 goals. 4 of those were when coming on as a sub in games against Motherwell. He has struggled to secure starts since we signed him, either with us or when sent out on loan to gain match experience. We will struggle to get a decent fee if we can convince anyone to take him off our hands.

so he has started 12 not 9 but has scored 7 goals,

it certainly different from making out its 37 whole games, if you want to be all pedantic go work out goals per minute. I will go out on a limb here and bet you it’s better than Morelos’s last season

Strangely he has 7 goals for us since he joined us, Defoe had the same amount over the same period, and I bet Defoe‘s goals per minute blows Morelos’s out the water.

No it isn’t.

Us, them and probably Hibs would beat most of their teams. The rankings show our league is better, by miles.

What part of him not impressing in 12 of his 14 starts are you not getting?

He’s okay. Not worth what we paid. Hugely underwhelming.

I asked you to give me the head to head between Scottish and Swiss teams, You are hiding behind the UEFA coefficient as if that is the only barometer. Explain where you get this miles from.

Since the mid 80s one scottish team has progressed once out of 7 ties, we have also played Swiss opposition in group stages twice won 1 drew 1 lost 2, if they were aggregate scores we would have went out twice.

We only overtook the Swiss league about 3 seasons ago purely on our co efficient contribution, it is narrowing again.

however if you want to use UEFA coefficients are Basel not ranked 28, us 42, Young Boys 43 and celtic 46 ?

I asked you to give me the head to head between Scottish and Swiss teams, You are hiding behind the UEFA coefficient as if that is the only barometer. Explain where you get this miles from.

Since the mid 80s one scottish team has progressed once out of 7 ties, we have also played Swiss opposition in group stages twice won 1 drew 1 lost 2, if they were aggregate scores we would have went out twice.

We only overtook the Swiss league about 3 seasons ago purely on our co efficient contribution, it is narrowing again.

however if you want to use UEFA coefficients are Basel not ranked 28, us 42, Young Boys 43 and celtic 46 ?
H2H provides history rather than current.

Do you really not think us or them are better then Basel or YB?

Last edited:

Out with St Gallen he’s managed 3 goals then 4 four then 6 at us and 2 in Germany. Spare me the Arsenal and Madrid nonsense they were friendlies. He isn’t good enough

It frustrates me that we don’t seem to have a genuine striker who can run the channels. Alfie is getting better at it, especially since Gio has come in, but most of our players seem to naturally drop off and hold up the ball. I’d love us to sign someone who can run in behind. It’s a defender’s nightmare.

A signing that didn’t really make sense but I guess we were expecting to lose Morelos at the time.

Doesn’t fit in with how we play and doesn’t have the ability to be a solo Rangers striker imo.
Clearly something about him with his goal record for St Gallen but if we can make our money back we’ll be doing well and can let the lad get on with his career elsewhere.

so he has started 12 not 9 but has scored 7 goals,

it certainly different from making out its 37 whole games, if you want to be all pedantic go work out goals per minute. I will go out on a limb here and bet you it’s better than Morelos’s last season

Strangely he has 7 goals for us since he joined us, Defoe had the same amount over the same period, and I bet Defoe‘s goals per minute blows Morelos’s out the water.
Oh not this goals per minute chestnut too.

The simple counter to that he has never managed to be better than 3rd or 4th choice so his minutes are severely limited. The vast majority of his (significant number of) appearances came in the last few minutes of games we had already won convincingly. He got more than 25% of his goals for us in a single game as a sub (5-1 win against Motherwell) .

When he actually started for us what were his goals per minute in those games? I think you will find his numbers for those games are significantly worse than Morelos, Defoe or Roofe. Frankly it is comical that you even try to suggest he is better than any of those guys all of whom were responsible for Itten's lack of playing time.

I always held out hope that he would be a player for us but the last couple of appearances have dampened that somewhat. Doesn't seem to have the necessary guile and is quite soft in possession. No doubt will score goals for somebody and he'll do for now as a third choice but I've lost faith that he can be much more than that for us. Would love to be wrong and if he can start proving me wrong on Saturday, happy days.

Have to agree on both players AI.

I know many will disagree with us on Roofe, but he’s on one of our larger salaries & still looked very rusty on the last weeks cameos.

We now NEED him in these next two matches, and I’m concerned about his readiness to deliver.

Time will tell, but I’m a sell too.
Itten sell

Roofe uuuugggh I like him and if he could get 4 months from now injury free then he finishes top scorer but that won’t happen

Back