Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

If you Google " a link to Barry bennell and mccafferty" then click on the photo with the Celtic directors and Jimmy Saville you get the full rundown of this sordid club sorry I can't put the link on myself #oldschoolloyal don't think I've seen this before so sorry if it's old news but anything to keep this thread alive or revive interest

I am on holiday right now and have been engaging with supporters of English clubs who are more aware of the scale of this scandal than I ever thought possible, hats off to the loyal Bears who have been diligent, the fight for justice goes on. WATP

Good for you HB. Keep spreading the word HB and everyone else and keep the boot on the paedo harbourers throats. No embellishments, no exaggerations, simply hit them with facts.

They need to be taken to task for their vile acts, so the more outlets to inform people the better. Word of mouth is one of the best ways to do just that. Supporters and many others throughout the UK and beyond are now very aware of what this 'club like no other is all about'.

Good for you HB. Keep spreading the word HB and everyone else and keep the boot on the paedo harbourers throats. No embellishments, no exaggerations, simply hit them with facts.

They need to be taken to task for their vile acts, so the more outlets to inform people the better. Word of mouth is one of the best ways to do just that. Supporters and many others throughout the UK and beyond are now very aware of what this 'club like no other is all about'.
Hear, Hear mate time to turn the screw on this rancid organization

I will read the CFC financials that are to be released soon with interest. We may be able to gauge how much they are spending on legal fees, PR(Holicom), Insurance investigations, and maybe even tagging funds for settlements. I suspect they may have had some success settling out of court and getting NDA signed. However, maybe evidence of that will be found on the disclosure documents.

Obviously we all know what happened reference the thread last weekend. I’m receiving pms from posters who are apprehensive of posting.

To be honest I’ve noticed this also. Some excellent posters have now disappeared but I know are still watching with interest. All I can say is we are getting somewhere with a certain MSP.

A few also know we have good contacts with certain press individuals. It may look like things have gone quiet but I can assure you it hasn’t.

I would urge people to get back on here and continue the fight. Victims and families are relying on us.

Good post mate.

Everyone working in the background on this is busting a gut to make the required difference, to bring these despicable people to justice and to see the victims and their families get some peace in the lives at last. Please take some comfort in that even if you don't see constant movement in the thread.

The thread may have disappeared for a short time, but we didn't. We're still as determined and we ARE making a difference.

WATP

I will read the CFC financials that are to be released soon with interest. We may be able to gauge how much they are spending on legal fees, PR(Holicom), Insurance investigations, and maybe even tagging funds for settlements. I suspect they may have had some success settling out of court and getting NDA signed. However, maybe evidence of that will be found on the disclosure documents.

I’ll do it as well IBN. See what we can find. My recollection is they were out around this time last year, so any delay in that timing may be interesting ?

I'd urge everyone to get on their elected MSP, or better still, contact ALL of the MSP's. We can all make a difference in calling for an independent public inquiry into child abuse within sport in Scotland.

Some may find it easy to write an email, some may find it rather daunting, I get that, but all it really needs is you asking for a public independent inquiry. That's it. Perhaps two sentences. No need to pen a book, just express your opinion in a few words. They all achieve their aim, so in football terms, a goal's a goal.

I've made it easy to do just that by adding the link below. The site makes it incredibly simple and also efficient in contacting as many as you see fit. You can also use the filters (tick box) to find particular parties if required. I'm contacting the lot of them.

That's all of the Labour ones done as I work through the list. I'll save the SNP's until last.

I'd urge everyone to get on their elected MSP, or better still, contact ALL of the MSP's. We can all make a difference in calling for an independent public inquiry into child abuse within sport in Scotland.

Some may find it easy to write an email, some may find it rather daunting, I get that, but all it really needs is you asking for a public independent inquiry. That's it. Perhaps two sentences. No need to pen a book, just express your opinion in a few words. They all achieve their aim, so in football terms, a goal's a goal.

I've made it easy to do just that by adding the link below. The site makes it incredibly simple and also efficient in contacting as many as you see fit. You can also use the filters (tick box) to find particular parties if required. I'm contacting the lot of them.

That's all of the Labour ones done as I work through the list. I'll save the SNP's until last.
Excellent link, TS. We can all make a contribution now. Thanks for that.

Brilliant job TS.

I’ll back into your work ;)

And people may remember that approaching MPs as well as MSPs can help too, as that has brought success previously by pressure coming from outside.

Information doing the rounds in legal circles is that writs will be served on behalf of several victims early next week.

This follows talks between a well known Glasgow based Solicitor and Lawyers representing Celtic FC having reached an impasse late yesterday afternoon.

By all accounts it would appear that Celtic are standing firm in their separate entity stance with regard to Celtic Boys Club.

Glasgow MSP Adam Tomkins is also said to be expressing more than a passing interest in this developing story.

Look like the gloves are about to come off.

Information doing the rounds in legal circles is that writs will be served on behalf of several victims early next week.

This follows talks between a well known Glasgow based Solicitor and Lawyers representing Celtic FC having reached an impasse late yesterday afternoon.

By all accounts it would appear that Celtic are standing firm in their separate entity stance with regard to Celtic Boys Club.

Glasgow MSP Adam Tomkins is also said to be expressing more than a passing interest in this developing story.

Very interesting LL.

Thanks LL.

This is a really useful link to find out who represents you. Remember, in the Scottish Parliament you actually have 7 or 8 MSPs representing you. 1 for the constituency and the rest will be for the region eg. Glasgow

As TS says, it doesn’t have to be a huge detailed email. Just a few lines showing concern at the amount of abuse in the Scottish game and to call for an inquiry to get the truth for the victims. Then just copy and paste to your MSPs.

There is support for an inquiry at Holyrood. It’s up to us to apply the pressure and make it happen.

Issued 19 September last year IBN ;)

Excellent link, TS. We can all make a contribution now. Thanks for that.

Cheers mate. It truly is a doddle on that site as the layout makes it sooooo easy.

Write it once, cut and paste it as many times as you like. Type a short subject line to save you jumping between cutting and pasting both of them and anyone will fly through them. Some of the easiest emails I've sent. That's an easy 50+ so far, all personally addressed and one name per email. Easy!

it would seem the enabler board are determined to tough it out, i suspect they may be pinning their hopes on "sympathetic"judges or high ranking legal officials,absolutely shameless this shower

Thanks for the info LL. It's about time the gloves came off.

I still find it strange that they would see any mileage in going down the separate entity route. That's been smashed to smithereens so many times over. Perhaps there's nothing else left for them as I think they backed themselves into a corner - a losing corner.

I think CFC are going to get shown up for the vile club they are. I just hope the victims are happy with the outcome and get some respite from all of this.

What makes you think that?
The Scottish government have said their investigation will not include the church or football and I have seen nothing that points to them changing their minds. While the SFA have called Celtic out about the separate entity they have never for one second talked of reprisals to any club. That would be like a turkey voting for xmas.

The Scottish government have said their investigation will not include the church or football and I have seen nothing that points to them changing their minds. While the SFA have called Celtic out about the separate entity they have never for one second talked of reprisals to any club. That would be like a turkey voting for xmas.
I’m not interested in a government investigation. I want them in front of an independent inquiry also.

You're correct, they did say that, but pressure is being applied to get then to open up a public independent inquiry in sport in Scotland.

The SNP will do all they can to protect that club, as that's where the get a large support of their voters from. A vote is more important than a child's wellbeing to them, so again, I'd urge everyone on this forum to start emailing, or speaking to their MSP's to put pressure on them. This IS happening and we can all help by doing what we can too.

When all this is played out in court and the rancid club gets found out, the SNP won't be able to stop an inquiry happening. Please do your bit now as you're obviously concerned about it.

I’m not interested in a government investigation. I want them in front of an independent inquiry also.
The problem is who is going to organise an independent inquiry? That would surely need to come from the government or the SFA. While we can rally ministers in Westminster the fact is any inquiry would fall under Scots law and as I said the Scottish government are lost in the silence. I may be seeing it too simple but I just feel where the people in power who can do anything, the tims seem to have that base covered.

You're correct, they did say that, but pressure is being applied to get then to open up a public independent inquiry in sport in Scotland.

The SNP will do all they can to protect that club, as that's where the get a large support of their voters from. A vote is more important than a child's wellbeing to them, so again, I'd urge everyone on this forum to start emailing, or speaking to their MSP's to put pressure on them. This IS happening and we can all help by doing what we can too.

When all this is played out in court and the rancid club gets found out, the SNP won't be able to stop an inquiry happening. Please do your bit now as you're obviously concerned about it.
Totally agree and if you don't shoot you will never hit the target.

The problem is who is going to organise an independent inquiry? That would surely need to come from the government or the SFA. While we can rally ministers in Westminster the fact is any inquiry would fall under Scots law and as I said the Scottish government are lost in the silence. I may be seeing it too simple but I just feel where the people in power who can do anything, the tims seem to have that base covered.

Good point as we would all be wary of who would be sitting on the panel if we got our wish. I take that on board. One thing is for certain, they will be under more scrutiny than virtually any panel has ever been under. Every detail will be scrutinised by all.

Lets just get to the next stage first and all work together to get this Government to backtrack on the weight of calls for an inquiry. We'll worry about what happens thereafter and deal with it.

I am sure that they will be well hidden under some rarely used sub heading.

it would seem the enabler board are determined to tough it out, i suspect they may be pinning their hopes on "sympathetic"judges or high ranking legal officials,absolutely shameless this shower

This is the most likely scenario they’re gambling on. Deny everything, and despite the mounting, damning evidence against them, hope that one of the ‘ family ends up presiding over this matter.
One thing is for sure, if they get this seperate entity ruling in their favour, Scottish football is dead and buried.

I've just started sending offsome emails and have included a template below if anyone would like to cut and paste it.

Hi (MSP's Name),

I believe there may be a debate in the not too distant future in the Scottish Parliament regarding calls for an independent public enquiry into historic child abuse in Scottish football. It would appear that abuse has taken place at a number of professional clubs and in some cases this abuse was covered up. I would be grateful if you could support such an enquiry on behalf of the many innocent victims. Could you please confirm receipt of this email and advise if you would be willing to support any calls for such an enquiry. Many thanks.

Yours sincerely ******

I've just started sending offsome emails and have included a template below if anyone would like to cut and paste it.

Hi (MSP's Name),

I believe there may be a debate in the not too distant future in the Scottish Parliament regarding calls for an independent public enquiry into historic child abuse in Scottish football. It would appear that abuse has taken place at a number of professional clubs and in some cases this abuse was covered up. I would be grateful if you could support such an enquiry on behalf of the many innocent victims. Could you please confirm receipt of this email and advise if you would be willing to support any calls for such an enquiry. Many thanks.

Yours sincerely ******
Well done. That will be helpful for posters.

This is the most likely scenario they’re gambling on. Deny everything, and despite the mounting, damning evidence against them, hope that one of the ‘ family ends up presiding over this matter.
One thing is for sure, if they get this seperate entity ruling in their favour, Scottish football is dead and buried.
I work in insurance and the ‘secret investigation’ has always intrigued me.

With my professional hat on I read the continued ‘separate entity’ denials in one of two ways:

1. The insurance company, following their investigation, have decided there is a realistic chance of this standing up in court and so, as is their right, have told their client to stick to this line.

Or

2. Following the investigation, they have found them to have breached some policy condition - most likely a failure to report to the authorities - so they are refusing cover and so the ‘club like no other’ are on the hook themselves.

Purely speculation but number 2 seems the more likely to me as the first option is PR suicide for any self-respecting insurance company if/when the truth comes out.

I havent sent this yet , but if Some of the boys in the back could have a shifty at it i will start posting later today

Dear Mr Gibson

I am writing this email with sadness ,anger, and incredulous disbelief, it has came to my attention from many credible sources, the true extent of Grooming, enabling and child abuse in Scottish football.

I am sad for the 100s of victims of this systematic abuse that has been an abhorrence in Scottish football since at least the 50s, I have worked with children in the past and I am fully aware what this does to young lives, it is like one of those medieval spiked torture rings placed and welded round the neck, you go to bed its there you wake up its there ,every waking conscious moment of their piteously sorrow laden tear filled lives,

As I said earlier I have worked with children in the past and there are three types of abuse

This can be physicall abuse , mental abuse, and neglect, Physical abuse covers the sexual abuse aspect, the mental abuse covers many things such as a child reporting things, only to be told consistently that he is a liar, without carrying out some follow up enquiries, to prove or disprove the Childs accusations

Now lastly you have neglect this happens when a Childs needs and requirements are not being met to the detriment and wellbeing of the child, SCOTTISH FOOTBALL IS GUILTY OF ALL THREE

I am incredulous that this has been allowed to fester for so long, I want all paedophiles brought to Justice, do you ? will you back a public independent enquiry,or even better put the point forward yourself, believe me the sword of Damocles is hanging over all those people who Abused, Enabled ,And Neglected those children who needed their help but did nothing and thus condemning the next generation, I hope that you are like me, vain you like what you see in the mirror, my conscious is clear will yours be ?

With my professional hat on I read the continued ‘separate entity’ denials in one of two ways:

1. The insurance company, following their investigation, have decided there is a realistic chance of this standing up in court and so, as is their right, have told their client to stick to this line.

Or

2. Following the investigation, they have found them to have breached some policy condition - most likely a failure to report to the authorities - so they are refusing cover and so the ‘club like no other’ are on the hook themselves.

Purely speculation but number 2 seems the more likely to me as the first option is PR suicide for any self-respecting insurance company if/when the truth comes out.

Let's face it. There has never been an internal investigation. There has been a long running assessment of the club and the insurers respective potential liabilities and the formulation of a strategy to minimise said liabilities.

Also, separate entity is not a busted flush. Just because the SFA are saying that they expect clubs to accept responsibility for feeder clubs and boys clubs activities means nothing in law. It is for the courts to decide this issue.

Or

Surely failure to report instances of child abuse to the authorities, and to cover up said abuse, would give the insurer due cause to refuse to settle any resultant claims against the insured. I certainly hope this is the case.

Surely failure to report instances of child abuse to the authorities, and to cover up said abuse, would give the insurer due cause to refuse to settle any resultant claims against the insured. I certainly hope this is the case.
I reckon re-hiring Torbett will be their undoing.
Paedos can turn up anywhere and a club can't be held to account for employing one unknowingly.
Hiring one that you'd previously sacked though for that very offence?
There's no insurance for that.

Latest VB article...

Celtic FC - timeline of events

1966 - Celtic Boys Club founded. Approval to start the Boys Club using the Celtic name and colours was granted by Robert Kelly (Celtic FC Chairman) and Jock Stein (Celtic Manager). The Boys Club was initially independent from the professional Celtic Football Club after a semi-formal agreement was made where the Under-16 side would act as a nursery for Celtic scouts. This deal included giving the Boys Club access and full use of Celtic FC’s training facilities.

1974 - Jim Torbett is thrown out of Celtic Boys Club by Celtic Manager Jock Stein after details of Torbett’s sexual abuse of children in his care at Celtic Boys Club become known. Jock Stein decided not to inform the police of the sexual abuse that had been uncovered and instructed others within Celtic FC to keep the good name of the club intact.

1977 - Jock Stein presented an award to Jim Torbett for ‘Services to the club’, 3 years after he was kicked out of Celtic Boys Club.

1978 - Jock Stein was replaced as Manager at Celtic FC and takes up the position of Manager at Leeds United.

1980 - Jim Torbett was allowed to come back to Celtic Boys Club. At the time, Hugh Birt attempted to block his return by voicing his concerns on Torbett’s past behaviour to the Celtic FC Board of Directors, but his concerns were ignored.

1984 - Incorporation of Jim Torbett’s company ‘The Trophy Centre Limited’, supplying trophies and medals etc. to various sporting organisations in the UK including Celtic FC.

1985 - Hugh Birt resigns as Chairman of Celtic Boys Club. Celtic FC ostracised Hugh Birt from that point on.

1988 - In December 1988, Kevin Kelly is appointed as a Director of ‘Celtic PLC (Celtic FC)’.

1989 - In June 1989, Kevin Kelly is appointed as a director of ‘The Scottish Football Association’.

1989 - In October 1989, Kevin Kelly is appointed as a Director of ‘The Trophy Centre Limited’.

1993 - Former Celtic Player and Manager, Lou Macari, released his autobiography titled ‘Football, My Life’ in 2008. In the book Macari wrote of an instance where a player came to him soon after taking on the Managers role in 1993 complaining that Frank Cairney had made sexual advances towards him on a recent tour of North America. Neither Macari nor his colleagues reported this instance to the police.

1994 - In September 1994, Kevin Kelly resigns from Director at ‘The Scottish Football Association’.

1995 - Gerry McSherry (Celtic fan) was informed by Hugh Birt of the sexual abuse of young children that was happening on a regular basis at Celtic. Gerry McSherry passed on to Strathclyde Police a list of 14 active predators connected with Celtic Boys Club and Celtic FC. Strathclyde Police refused to act.

1996 - Former Celtic Boys Club player Alan Brazil accuses Jim Torbett (former Celtic Boys Club Director & Manager) of sexual abuse.

1997 - Neil Strachan, Secretary of Celtic East Boys Club (another club officially recognised by Celtic FC) is sentenced to 3 years imprisonment for repeatedly molesting a boy for 2 years from the age of 5.

1998 - Jim Torbett was found guilty at Glasgow Sheriff Court of shameless and indecent conduct with three juvenile players between October 1967 and March 1974. Torbett was given a prison sentence of 30 months. Court transcripts from this trial show that Celtic Manager Jock Stein failed to alert the police and instructed Celtic officials to cover up Torbett's paedophile activities.

2000 - In November 2000, Jim Torbett resigned from Director at ‘The Trophy Centre Limited’.

2004 - In May 2004, John Cullen (an official photographer of Celtic FC) admitted taking pictures of nude and semi-naked children as young as 10 after a stash of more than 250 indecent images had been found in his store room at Celtic Park, the photographs had been there for more than 20 years. He admitted inviting the children to a house in Glasgow between January and December 1982 before getting them to pose for the camera. At Glasgow Sheriff Court he pled guilty to a charge of lewd and libidinous behaviour. He had been employed by Celtic for 30 years.

2005 - In August 2005, Kevin Kelly resigns from Director at ‘The Trophy Centre Limited’.

2018 - In April 2018, Jim Torbett appeared at the High Court in Glasgow where he faced 12 historical sexual abuse charges dating from January 1970 to August 1994.

2018 - In August 2018, Celtic Boys Club changed their name to St Patrick’s Sports Academy in an attempt to distance the connection with Celtic FC. It is alleged that Celtic FC paid St. Patrick’s £20,000 as a deal sweetener.

2018 - On 5th November 2018, Jim Torbett was found guilty of five counts of sexually abusing children and sentenced to 6 years in prison.

2018 - On 5th December 2018, Gerald King (former Celtic Boys Club Chairman) is found guilty of sexually abusing 4 boys and 1 girl when he was a teacher/football coach at St. Martha’s primary school in Glasgow between 1984-89. King was associated with Celtic Boys Club between 1982-2009. King had also previously been an employee at Jim Torbett’s company (The Trophy Centre Limited).

2018 - In December 2018, Gerry McSherry publicly revealed that he had passed a list of 14 active sexual predators connected with Celtic Boys Club and Celtic FC to Strathclyde police in 1995/96.

2019 - On 7th February 2019, Frank Cairney was sentenced to 4 years in prison after being convicted on 9 charges of sexual abuse against children. Cairney, who was employed by Celtic Boys Club between1971-86, was found guilty of sexually abusing the children between1965-86. The former Manager of Celtic Boys Club abused the children at various locations including the Celtic FC training facility at Barrowfield in Glasgow. The abuse carried out at Barrowfield was both before and during his time at Celtic Boys Club.

2019 - On 14th May 2019, Jim McCafferty was sentenced to 6 years and 9 months in prison after being found guilty of 12 charges relating to the sexual abuse of 10 teenagers between 1972-96 whilst employed as a coach for Celtic Boys Club and then officially employed by Celtic Football Club between 1990-96 as a coach/kit man to the Celtic Youth team. It emerged during the course of the trial that some of the sexual abuse carried out by McCafferty happened within Celtic Park. It has further emerged since his trial that there were very strong connections between McCafferty, Jim Torbett and Barry Bennell the former Manchester City and Crewe Alexandria coach, now serving 30 years behind bars for the sexual abuse of 86 former players at the clubs. The connection between the 3 convicted paedophiles included the introduction of Celtic Boys Club youngsters to Barry Bennell.

Above is just an extract, read the full article folks.

“They have lived beyond the law and all morals, and should now be declared beyond the pale”

Latest VB article...

Celtic FC - timeline of events

1966 - Celtic Boys Club founded. Approval to start the Boys Club using the Celtic name and colours was granted by Robert Kelly (Celtic FC Chairman) and Jock Stein (Celtic Manager). The Boys Club was initially independent from the professional Celtic Football Club after a semi-formal agreement was made where the Under-16 side would act as a nursery for Celtic scouts. This deal included giving the Boys Club access and full use of Celtic FC’s training facilities.

1974 - Jim Torbett is thrown out of Celtic Boys Club by Celtic Manager Jock Stein after details of Torbett’s sexual abuse of children in his care at Celtic Boys Club become known. Jock Stein decided not to inform the police of the sexual abuse that had been uncovered and instructed others within Celtic FC to keep the good name of the club intact.

1977 - Jock Stein presented an award to Jim Torbett for ‘Services to the club’, 3 years after he was kicked out of Celtic Boys Club.

1978 - Jock Stein was replaced as Manager at Celtic FC and takes up the position of Manager at Leeds United.

1980 - Jim Torbett was allowed to come back to Celtic Boys Club. At the time, Hugh Birt attempted to block his return by voicing his concerns on Torbett’s past behaviour to the Celtic FC Board of Directors, but his concerns were ignored.

1984 - Incorporation of Jim Torbett’s company ‘The Trophy Centre Limited’, supplying trophies and medals etc. to various sporting organisations in the UK including Celtic FC.

1985 - Hugh Birt resigns as Chairman of Celtic Boys Club. Celtic FC ostracised Hugh Birt from that point on.

1988 - In December 1988, Kevin Kelly is appointed as a Director of ‘Celtic PLC (Celtic FC)’.

1989 - In June 1989, Kevin Kelly is appointed as a director of ‘The Scottish Football Association’.

1989 - In October 1989, Kevin Kelly is appointed as a Director of ‘The Trophy Centre Limited’.

1993 - Former Celtic Player and Manager, Lou Macari, released his autobiography titled ‘Football, My Life’ in 2008. In the book Macari wrote of an instance where a player came to him soon after taking on the Managers role in 1993 complaining that Frank Cairney had made sexual advances towards him on a recent tour of North America. Neither Macari nor his colleagues reported this instance to the police.

1994 - In September 1994, Kevin Kelly resigns from Director at ‘The Scottish Football Association’.

1995 - Gerry McSherry (Celtic fan) was informed by Hugh Birt of the sexual abuse of young children that was happening on a regular basis at Celtic. Gerry McSherry passed on to Strathclyde Police a list of 14 active predators connected with Celtic Boys Club and Celtic FC. Strathclyde Police refused to act.

1996 - Former Celtic Boys Club player Alan Brazil accuses Jim Torbett (former Celtic Boys Club Director & Manager) of sexual abuse.

1997 - Neil Strachan, Secretary of Celtic East Boys Club (another club officially recognised by Celtic FC) is sentenced to 3 years imprisonment for repeatedly molesting a boy for 2 years from the age of 5.

1998 - Jim Torbett was found guilty at Glasgow Sheriff Court of shameless and indecent conduct with three juvenile players between October 1967 and March 1974. Torbett was given a prison sentence of 30 months. Court transcripts from this trial show that Celtic Manager Jock Stein failed to alert the police and instructed Celtic officials to cover up Torbett's paedophile activities.

2000 - In November 2000, Jim Torbett resigned from Director at ‘The Trophy Centre Limited’.

2004 - In May 2004, John Cullen (an official photographer of Celtic FC) admitted taking pictures of nude and semi-naked children as young as 10 after a stash of more than 250 indecent images had been found in his store room at Celtic Park, the photographs had been there for more than 20 years. He admitted inviting the children to a house in Glasgow between January and December 1982 before getting them to pose for the camera. At Glasgow Sheriff Court he pled guilty to a charge of lewd and libidinous behaviour. He had been employed by Celtic for 30 years.

2005 - In August 2005, Kevin Kelly resigns from Director at ‘The Trophy Centre Limited’.

2018 - In April 2018, Jim Torbett appeared at the High Court in Glasgow where he faced 12 historical sexual abuse charges dating from January 1970 to August 1994.

2018 - In August 2018, Celtic Boys Club changed their name to St Patrick’s Sports Academy in an attempt to distance the connection with Celtic FC. It is alleged that Celtic FC paid St. Patrick’s £20,000 as a deal sweetener.

2018 - On 5th November 2018, Jim Torbett was found guilty of five counts of sexually abusing children and sentenced to 6 years in prison.

2018 - On 5th December 2018, Gerald King (former Celtic Boys Club Chairman) is found guilty of sexually abusing 4 boys and 1 girl when he was a teacher/football coach at St. Martha’s primary school in Glasgow between 1984-89. King was associated with Celtic Boys Club between 1982-2009. King had also previously been an employee at Jim Torbett’s company (The Trophy Centre Limited).

2018 - In December 2018, Gerry McSherry publicly revealed that he had passed a list of 14 active sexual predators connected with Celtic Boys Club and Celtic FC to Strathclyde police in 1995/96.

2019 - On 7th February 2019, Frank Cairney was sentenced to 4 years in prison after being convicted on 9 charges of sexual abuse against children. Cairney, who was employed by Celtic Boys Club between1971-86, was found guilty of sexually abusing the children between1965-86. The former Manager of Celtic Boys Club abused the children at various locations including the Celtic FC training facility at Barrowfield in Glasgow. The abuse carried out at Barrowfield was both before and during his time at Celtic Boys Club.

2019 - On 14th May 2019, Jim McCafferty was sentenced to 6 years and 9 months in prison after being found guilty of 12 charges relating to the sexual abuse of 10 teenagers between 1972-96 whilst employed as a coach for Celtic Boys Club and then officially employed by Celtic Football Club between 1990-96 as a coach/kit man to the Celtic Youth team. It emerged during the course of the trial that some of the sexual abuse carried out by McCafferty happened within Celtic Park. It has further emerged since his trial that there were very strong connections between McCafferty, Jim Torbett and Barry Bennell the former Manchester City and Crewe Alexandria coach, now serving 30 years behind bars for the sexual abuse of 86 former players at the clubs. The connection between the 3 convicted paedophiles included the introduction of Celtic Boys Club youngsters to Barry Bennell.

Above is just an extract, read the full article folks.

“They have lived beyond the law and all morals, and should now be declared beyond the pale”

Interesting that Kelly resigned from Trophy Centre in 2005 Jan.

They only filed accounts up to 2002 that we could find.

Last edited:
I would expect any abuse cover they have to contain a condition like that.

Obviously just speculating without knowing the ins and outs of their policy but would be amazed if it doesn’t.

Back