Celtic face threat of multimillion pound compensation claim(The Times)

That is a very uncomfortable read to say the least, how have these young boys managed to survive getting through sexual assaults by their coaches and laterly being ridiculed and threatened, discredited and called liars by people associated with the club they only wanted to play for.
The horrific similarities to Penn state and the Roman Catholic Church are there for all to see.

Despicable what happened at CBC and the 50 year cover up by the Directors at CFC

The “separate entity” pish will hopefully be proven in the court cases and CFC forced to publicly apologise and accept their responsibility and pay the victims and their families the compensation they deserve

Kelly and McGinn should be on charges of covering up the child abuse and the 1986 Celtc View article on the “scurrilous rumours” will hopefully nail them and why would Directors of a “separate entity” investigate and find another entity had no questions to answer re child abuse allegations

why does it matter what team these boys family supported ? think that’s a deliberate attempt to make it something it’s clearly not
If they didn’t put in prominently that the boys came from Rangers families then the Guardian would be accused of ignoring a malicious motivation for complaint and the story would be attacked for omitting important facts.

That was a very uncomfortable read! That club should be shut down for allowing that abuse to go uninterrupted. I’m sorry but can anyone point to me why it’s relevant to state the boys who were abused football team they support and most of all their families religion? That is abhorrent. Kind of sets the narrative for the absolute sick minded to attack them with.

That’s a chilling read I have to say. It certainly gives another dimension to what we have been reading in this thread for the last few years, but what this article does is bring it to another set of readers in the country. It widens the audience and that’s no bad thing. This net is being cast far and wide, and soon enough there will be enough people in the U.K and beyond who will know what Celtic fc REALLY stands for and what that club is all about.

Great work @BN94, @Grigo Yossarian and the rest. Outstanding work so far.

justice will prevail.

why does it matter what team these boys family supported ? think that’s a deliberate attempt to make it something it’s clearly not

I think it is to show that child abuse has no boundaries and affects kids from all sorts of backgrounds. In this instance, they used a footballing angle to show that. This scandal has never been about what team kids played for, it has always been about the crimes committed against those kids.

An horrific article, but an important one.

Last edited:
Harrowing read.

Sadly I still don't think anything will really come of it all. There seems to be no appetite for justice at government level.

In Scotland and indeed the U.K. we have a habit of covering up and ignoring victims of child sex abuse.

Current Scottish government are no more interested than any previous at finding out the truth and learning lessons. The current enquiry has so many exceptions it is worthless.

There is also public apathy over this issue. Mention it and you are accused of political point scoring. The victims are never considered and they are left with a life sentence.

Until the public stand up and say this has to stop it will continue.

A couple of questions for the Scottish based journalists looking in.
You know the history and also know that there is so much more to uncover and write. You have the knowledge and expertise to investigate further. You may well have written a lengthy piece already which your editor fails to publish. You all like to use personal Twitter accounts in order that you are able to put distance between your own views and that of your paper.
Why are you so reluctant (negligent/afraid) to at least try to help out here? People read your crap offerings, why not do the decent thing and offer assistance in any way you can? Have no doubt that this story will explode, you're closest and it bypasses you. You can all retire in shame. No-one will ever take the knee for the sacrifices you made.

In Scotland and indeed the U.K. we have a habit of covering up and ignoring victims of child sex abuse.

Current Scottish government are no more interested than any previous at finding out the truth and learning lessons. The current enquiry has so many exceptions it is worthless.

There is also public apathy over this issue. Mention it and you are accused of political point scoring. The victims are never considered and they are left with a life sentence.

Until the public stand up and say this has to stop it will continue.
Once a court of law has ruled on this, even on one of the 21 cases. It’ll be hard to ignore by them. I just sincerely hope that firstly that these victims get justice, but in doing so don’t get oversed into taking an out of court settlement and signing a non disclosure agreement (NDA). That’s what Lieswell and his cohorts will be monitoring and angling for while this gathers momentum, damage limitation at all costs.

A couple of questions for the Scottish based journalists looking in.
You know the history and also know that there is so much more to uncover and write. You have the knowledge and expertise to investigate further. You may well have written a lengthy piece already which your editor fails to publish. You all like to use personal Twitter accounts in order that you are able to put distance between your own views and that of your paper.
Why are you so reluctant (negligent/afraid) to at least try to help out here? People read your crap offerings, why not do the decent thing and offer assistance in any way you can? Have no doubt that this story will explode, you're closest and it bypasses you. You can all retire in shame. No-one will ever take the knee for the sacrifices you made.
I think we all need to do our part as well by sharing the story to your own Facebook. No need to comment, just stick it up there for all to read. The more people that spread it the better. Sure we might get some heat...but the truth hurts.

O jesus christ iv Read all the news paper reports about that hell hole and its filthy beasts over the years but that is disgusting and when u take a breath after reading it a sence of heart break for what all those young boy went throw my heart go's out to them I have no words ro express how I feel after reading that I can only offer what Ltd support in words to them

The distress faced by survivors of sexual abuse in Scottish football is being compounded by delays to a review of paedophilia within the sport, MSPs have claimed.

The Scottish Football Association (SFA) commissioned an independent report into sexual abuse which was due to be released in 2018. A draft was published that year but the final version with victim testimony has been held back several times, prompting anger from those who gave evidence.

Fulton MacGregor, the convener of Holyrood’s cross-party group on the future of football in Scotland, said that he had raised the issue with Ian Maxwell, the SFA chief executive.

“This continued delay is a major concern for many survivors, no doubt causing additional anxiety and distress,” he said. “I wrote to the SFA last week to ask when they expect the report to be published and I am awaiting a response. I hope the publication date issue can be quickly resolved so the report can be made public at the earliest opportunity.”

Mr MacGregor, the SNP MSP for Coatbridge & Chryston, a former social worker, added: “Perhaps then victims can find some closure to the dreadful and traumatic experiences they endured while in football.”

Johann Lamont, the former Scottish Labour leader and co-convener of the cross-party group of adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse, said that she was “gravely concerned” by the failure to publish the report.

She said: “Clearly this report will include important recommendations for action. The SFA must make a firm commitment not just to publish but to provide a deadline by which that commitment will be delivered.”

Last month Martin Henry, chairman of the Independent Review into Sexual Abuse in Scottish Football, said he had handed over his final report to the SFA in the summer and had been assured it would be made public by the end of September. “It is up to them to comment on why it hasn’t been released,” he said.

The report was originally delayed to allow court cases linked to historic sexual abuse in football to be completed. More recently survivors have been told that its release has been held back because of the pandemic.

Victims and their representatives have suggested that the SFA and other prominent Scottish football institutions are looking to sideline a report that will highlight their historic failures — and could have consequences for scores of legal cases.

Patrick McGuire, a partner with Thompsons solicitors, which is representing six people who were abused by SFA officials and dozens more who were attacked while playing for senior and junior clubs, said: “The continued delays and excuses by the SFA for not publishing their own report into historic child abuse in Scottish football are simply inexcusable.

“It is deeply upsetting and disrespectful to the many survivors who went through the harrowing process of giving evidence to the inquiry. “This was the inquiry the SFA never wanted to hold and now it’s the report they simply don’t want to release.”

The SFA said that it hoped to release the document this month. A spokesman said: “The Scottish Football Association is equally keen to publish the report and hopes to do so as soon as possible.”

We obviously can’t mention anything in progress but Torbett, Cairney, King, Strachan, McCLuskey & Cullen, who had the 200+ photographs of children, but wasn’t convicted of paedophilia.

Torbett was done twice already.

You mean mccafferty? There's lynnes malley aswell.

O jesus christ iv Read all the news paper reports about that hell hole and its filthy beasts over the years but that is disgusting and when u take a breath after reading it a sence of heart break for what all those young boy went throw my heart go's out to them I have no words ro express how I feel after reading that I can only offer what Ltd support in words to them
And these are only the ones that have come forward. There are more survivors out there.

U no in all this this snp gov have cause even more hurt bywitchi can only diacri

The distress faced by survivors of sexual abuse in Scottish football is being compounded by delays to a review of paedophilia within the sport, MSPs have claimed.

The Scottish Football Association (SFA) commissioned an independent report into sexual abuse which was due to be released in 2018. A draft was published that year but the final version with victim testimony has been held back several times, prompting anger from those who gave evidence.

Fulton MacGregor, the convener of Holyrood’s cross-party group on the future of football in Scotland, said that he had raised the issue with Ian Maxwell, the SFA chief executive.

“This continued delay is a major concern for many survivors, no doubt causing additional anxiety and distress,” he said. “I wrote to the SFA last week to ask when they expect the report to be published and I am awaiting a response. I hope the publication date issue can be quickly resolved so the report can be made public at the earliest opportunity.”

Mr MacGregor, the SNP MSP for Coatbridge & Chryston, a former social worker, added: “Perhaps then victims can find some closure to the dreadful and traumatic experiences they endured while in football.”

Johann Lamont, the former Scottish Labour leader and co-convener of the cross-party group of adult survivors of childhood sexual abuse, said that she was “gravely concerned” by the failure to publish the report.

She said: “Clearly this report will include important recommendations for action. The SFA must make a firm commitment not just to publish but to provide a deadline by which that commitment will be delivered.”

Last month Martin Henry, chairman of the Independent Review into Sexual Abuse in Scottish Football, said he had handed over his final report to the SFA in the summer and had been assured it would be made public by the end of September. “It is up to them to comment on why it hasn’t been released,” he said.

The report was originally delayed to allow court cases linked to historic sexual abuse in football to be completed. More recently survivors have been told that its release has been held back because of the pandemic.

Victims and their representatives have suggested that the SFA and other prominent Scottish football institutions are looking to sideline a report that will highlight their historic failures — and could have consequences for scores of legal cases.

Patrick McGuire, a partner with Thompsons solicitors, which is representing six people who were abused by SFA officials and dozens more who were attacked while playing for senior and junior clubs, said: “The continued delays and excuses by the SFA for not publishing their own report into historic child abuse in Scottish football are simply inexcusable.

“It is deeply upsetting and disrespectful to the many survivors who went through the harrowing process of giving evidence to the inquiry. “This was the inquiry the SFA never wanted to hold and now it’s the report they simply don’t want to release.”

The SFA said that it hoped to release the document this month. A spokesman said: “The Scottish Football Association is equally keen to publish the report and hopes to do so as soon as possible.”
U no when u sit down and for a moment just think of all the hurt caused in this by this so called football club and the vermin who worked for them for me the single worsed action other than the abuse they suffered Is by far been caused by this nationalist gov there total failure to deal with it shows what we all no that keeping there core support on board Ia far more importen to them than any young boys life its all been abided by the so called justice minister who is as guilty as All the beasts who perpetrated these acts and we should be telling everyone

What makes this worse for me personally is the fact that the majority of the boys abused would’ve been Celtic fans and now they are being attacked by their fellow fans for trying to get justice.

Their whole fan base is ignoring the whole situation and pretending it never happened, honestly feel so bad for the victims.

Well done to The Guardian and The Times for running the story it’s hopefully highlighting this depraved club for their lack of action against those that done harm to these kids and to those that suffered and are still suffering the best of luck in getting the justice you deserve.

The Scottish media are more concerned with maintaining their advertising revenues from celtic and access to content for their newspapers and websites - and I would imagine avoiding the threat of a boycott by Celtic fans with a nod and a wink from people connected with celtic.

That's journalism in Scotland in 2020.

The stalling hypocrites of the SFA and the Scottish government really are some piece of work ,this abuse scandal is happening on your watch and your handling of it so far is abysmal. The past administrations have a sin to answer also. For those that knew of these atrocities and did not act shame on you all. Protecting and pandering to paedophiles absolutely abhorrent. What kind of organisation hides behind NDA'S ?

100% The Catholic Church is at the top of all this it is the Holy Grail the most abusers of Boys in the World paid out Billions in compensation this is the reason this story is getting blocked . When the dam breaks the Catholic Church in Scotland is finished oh for Rev Jack Glass he would have outed the lot of them

I can't get my head round how anyone would continue to support this club and not speak out, how anyone could continue to work for such an organisation that openly shuns the victims it produced, how anyone could continue to be associated with a football club that uses questionable legal avenues to deflect blame. These are people with children of their own!

CFC are guilty of covering up child abuse it is that simple, there will still be people currently at that club who knew what was going on and did nothing, there are people at that club who know what went on and are trying desperately to hide from the truth, we have journalists who knew and still know who done what and when, and did and do nothing, and our government, our leaders still do nothing.

I don't believe for a second that every player at CFC is happy with the situation and the constant denial and deflection from CFC, all that is needed for the dam to break is for one single employee within that rancid organisation to speak out, to ask for a transfer and state its due to their moral beliefs.

I salute the work of the guys on here and spotlight, you guys are f()kin heroes.

I just cannot understand how Roman Catholics continue to support their Church. Throughout the world it has had to face up to the abuse perpetrated by clergy, some of them in very senior positions. The abuse was often covered up and the abuser moved on and the abuse allowed to continue. Equally I cannot understand why Celtic supporters still follow the club. The information of what went on is in the public domain. This club knew about abuse taking place and did nothing to stop it. Shocking.

I think we all need to do our part as well by sharing the story to your own Facebook. No need to comment, just stick it up there for all to read. The more people that spread it the better. Sure we might get some heat...but the truth hurts.
Yep I share a lot of it and always put in a bit for those who still claim the separate entity stance.

I just cannot understand how Roman Catholics continue to support their Church. Throughout the world it has had to face up to the abuse perpetrated by clergy, some of them in very senior positions. The abuse was often covered up and the abuser moved on and the abuse allowed to continue. Equally I cannot understand why Celtic supporters still follow the club. The information of what went on is in the public domain. This club knew about abuse taking place and did nothing to stop it. Shocking.
It’s because to them, it’s not the club, it’s only a few bad apples that were within it. They seem to glaze over the fact that some these people were asked to step down and then reappointed years later. They also seem to overlook that while these men were away from the club, it still kept commercial contracts and worked in conjunction with them. The links with Bennel and Saville are atrocious, the sooner this puts the better. Meanwhile Lieswell concentrated on empire building and the erection of hotels. Absolutely fucking scandalous.

If and when we get back to Ibrox, banners displaying the names of each victim should be shown by our support accompanies by beasts, beasts, beasts at the top of our lungs. Surely sanctions have to be brought against this putrid club...but I won’t hold my breath.

With regards your 1st point, a couple of minutes in a wee booth absolves them of all bad deeds committed. Cleansed of all responsibility. The lighting of a few candles will also help with this.
Tbf it probably covers your second point too.
To me (& i said this at the start of this thread) they are being protected by people from very high in establishment circles - not just their church. It's the only reason it has been kept as quiet for so long in my opinion.

That's because you weren't raised in the environment they were. Every day God sends you should thank him you were born outwith that evil cult.

We obviously can’t mention anything in progress but Torbett, Cairney, King, Strachan, McCLuskey & Cullen, who had the 200+ photographs of children, but wasn’t convicted of paedophilia.

Torbett was done twice already.

Did the guardian not say 3 convicted so far? Any idea why the discrepancy in numbers? I thought there was 6 or 7 known when I was reading it.

#wouldyouhavesigned?

Would you have signed if you had known?
Chris Sutton
Henrik Larsson
John Hartson
Kris Commons
Stilan Petrov
Bobo Balde
Ncham
Eyal Berkovic
Di Canio
Ian Wright
Pierre
Forster
et al

We know that the Scots from the 'Celtic Family' probably knew, at least had heard whispers, but what about all the other players since The Bunnet rolled in?

#wouldyouhavesigned?

Back