Chris Sutton and Neil Lennon in Rangers rethink as security concerns force BT Sport change with former Celtic duo off punditry

The producer of that show looks like he might have done some journalist work and provided the balance to the story. Did a bit of digging and found out what the broadcasters plans were for the 2 ex celtic players which would have seen them going round 3 stands to exit the stadium at a time when Rangers supporters were filtering in.

He also provided some background to the Sutton situation where Rangers have previously told BT Sutton would not be welcome in the stadium and outlined reasons for this. This is something BT know.

Rangers were told late on Wednesday evening what the plans were from BT and in my opinion they smelled a rat and a stitch up in the making.

The absolute correct decision has been made, and people on here saying it shames us need to fukin wake up. There is a concerted campaign at play here and this was a small part in it.

As said previously, we have no problems with the likes of Mjallby, Hartson, Petrov etc.

Alan Brazil was allowed to jump on the headline without engaging his booze sodden brain. Thankfully the boy Luke seems to have came away from the old firm game with a good impression of our club and laid the facts out for everyone.

No.

I think he should have got the proper reason out there before our support was trashed for hours on end.

Only Rangers could end up on the back foot like this.

So I ask again, I thought this new PR guy was competent?
Half agree with you, its took til 10:15am for an influential national broadcaster to lay out the facts of our decision but damage has been done.

We can't go firing out statements every hour but the security risk comment has been jumped on.

No.

I think he should have got the proper reason out there before our support was trashed for hours on end.

Only Rangers could end up on the back foot like this.

So I ask again, I thought this new PR guy was competent?

As usual, we're not on the front foot and always fighting back. From our side, it looks a shambles.

All Rangers had to say is that Sutton has used his platform to ridicule and mock several aspects of the club over the years as well as peddle inaccuracies and until such time he retracts comments or apologises for his behaviour he was not getting inside the door.

This should've been done in 2017 when he blindsided Pedro on live TV. There is not another manager who would've been treated like that. BT should've been told there and then he was never getting back in after that stunt.

Doesn’t present a great image of us as a support though and provides more ammunition to our enemies. Doesn’t really show Scotland in a very good light.

Don’t think this was a very good day from tge club’s media advisors.

The way the platform is set up, at the corner, in between stands, the building work going on meaning more footfall in that area etc.

Take any big club in Britain, take 2 of their biggest rivals opposition former players particularly those with a history of Sutton and Lennon, and then suspend them on a platform in view of support outside the stadium who will be heading into the ground. Do you really think we would be the only clubs support who wouldn't lob a stray pie at them etc? You wouldn't even need to have a ticket to rock up to Ibrox and launch something at them (which goes without saying would be a moronic thing to do)

Of course Sutton has sensationalized matters to portray himself as a victim, but BT were prepared to put him in a stupid position and Rangers said no to it to avoid any issues.

As usual, we're not on the front foot and always fighting back. From our side, it looks a shambles.

All Rangers had to say is that Sutton has used his platform to ridicule and mock several aspects of the club over the years as well as peddle inaccuracies and until such time he retracts comments or apologises for his behaviour he was not getting inside the door.

This should've been done in 2017 when he blindsided Pedro on live TV. There is not another manager who would've been treated like that. BT should've been told there and then he was never getting back in after that stunt.
Not a fan of Pedro as our manager but he stood up to the wank. As you say no other manager would have faced that.

Now Celtic support don't know who I am, but lets say my employer wanted me to go on a suspended platform outside Celtic park wearing a Celtic top on in full view of their support as they all enter the ground.

I'd be absolutely furious with my employer for suggesting such a nonsense thing to do and I'd be quietly pleased if it was Celtic themselves who put a stop to it.

Sutton/Lennon of course just saw it as an opportunity to act the victim and have a kick at Rangers.

It is absolutely fcuking shambolic.

Reactions: SDF
This is an absolute definition of storm in a teacup . The club made absolutely the correct decision , the only thing wrong is that it wasn’t made crystal clear why Sutton is barred . We tired to be too diplomatic it seems

Just heard the reasoned debate on Talksport. Their pundits take Rangers’ view that BT were wrong to take Sutton and Lennon to Ibrox to comment on Celtic’s game. That game finished at 7.35pm, a time when Ibrox was filling up. Sutton and Lennon would have been in full view on the platform between the Main Stand and the Copland Road Stand and to leave the ground would have required them to walk past or through the Rangers supporters. That could have been a recipe for trouble, something Sutton and Lennon would have loved to write about. Sensible decision.

That is some mental paranoia. BT have covered our Europa games like this for the last 12 months. I remember some delightful footage of Hartson at Ibrox close to tears after they got spanked in Prague last season. I’m sure Live It Up could be heard on Ibrox speakers in the background B-)
I remember that it was brilliant

I missed that what did he say to Pedro?

Sending those two to Ibrox sounds like a clear attempt to get fans into trouble.

There would be a very high chance fans would chant and shout some very naughty things towards those two in full view of cameras, maybe that is what people at Sky wanted.
Sky? It was on BT

shock tom talking a wee sly dig at mark and FF

@TEnglishSport
·
13m

This guy’s fans forum is an official media partner of
@RangersFC
Quote Tweet

Mark Dingwall

@GrandmasterSuck
· 17h
Replying to @BBCchrismclaug
BT were told in March 2020 not to bring Sutton back. Lennon is the most divisive figure in Scottish society over the last 20 years and his behaviour on a number of accounts has been reprehensible and the club would not want such a person on the premises.

Lennon and Sutton have done and said some awful things about our club and our players, Rangers cannot guarantee that some in our fan base might do or say anything to these two cretins, I beleive Rangers done the right thing, albeit the timing of it was a bit strange.
Also did Le Guen not get his coat covered in spittle from Celtc scum, i cant remember if it was a Sharkheed or Tyncastle?
Tynecastle

Paul Dempsey ended up doing it from the main BT studio with Stilian Petrov as pundit.
Petrov is a decent , fair pundit , why was he being brushed aside in the first place to try and invite someone like Sutton to Ibrox ? I bet you a pound to a penny those two would have happily stood at Ibrox and took pelters just so they could then go onto SM after the game and cry about big bad Rangers fans . The club did the correct thing it’s not even up for debate. The media in Scotland are currently seething about not having access to Rangers , so this kind of stuff will continue for a while until they move onto something else

shock tom talking a wee sly dig at mark and FF

@TEnglishSport
·
13m

This guy’s fans forum is an official media partner of
@RangersFC
Quote Tweet

Mark Dingwall

@GrandmasterSuck
· 17h
Replying to @BBCchrismclaug
BT were told in March 2020 not to bring Sutton back. Lennon is the most divisive figure in Scottish society over the last 20 years and his behaviour on a number of accounts has been reprehensible and the club would not want such a person on the premises.
suntrust bank branch near me

The way the platform is set up, at the corner, in between stands, the building work going on meaning more footfall in that area etc.

Take any big club in Britain, take 2 of their biggest rivals opposition former players particularly those with a history of Sutton and Lennon, and then suspend them on a platform in view of support outside the stadium who will be heading into the ground. Do you really think we would be the only clubs support who wouldn't lob a stray pie at them etc? You wouldn't even need to have a ticket to rock up to Ibrox and launch something at them (which goes without saying would be a moronic thing to do)

Of course Sutton has sensationalized matters to portray himself as a victim, but BT were prepared to put him in a stupid position and Rangers said no to it to avoid any issues.
I agree with you on allof that. But the issue here is the way this was handled to the media. We have been left to carry the can and it is really poor coverage. This has a real effect on what Bisgrove can do. Makes sponsorship much harder. Our enemies know that and know exactly what they are doing.

I am sure a compromise solution could have been found. This isn’t a good image of us as fans or Rangers as a club. Real own goal. Sure we could have provided a space elsewhere in Ibrox to host the show.

we can and should be critical of the clubs media advisor here this was handled about as badly as it could have been.

Now Celtic support don't know who I am, but lets say my employer wanted me to go on a suspended platform outside Celtic park wearing a Celtic top on in full view of their support as they all enter the ground.

I'd be absolutely furious with my employer for suggesting such a nonsense thing to do and I'd be quietly pleased if it was Celtic themselves who put a stop to it.

Sutton/Lennon of course just saw it as an opportunity to act the victim and have a kick at Rangers.
Exactly the same reasons behind the BBC pundits being Rangers haters and Sky constantly hiring Rangers haters as commentators. It's not a coincidence , it's manufactured to attract negative comment from our support to allow them to claim victimisation. They know exactly what they're doing , and now hopefully looks like the club have started to realise this.

Alan Brazil and the utter twat Sinclair have just emptied Rangers over this, with nobody to argue, no right of reply and with a lack of explanation from the club to at least add balance.

I am absolutely on board with causing as many issues to broadcasters as possible where it is warranted but stunts like this, not backed up with any kind of reasoning or public explanation just make the club look beyond petty and allow idiots like the 2 above to hammer home their own agenda.

Unless here is some kind of follow up coming today, it was a really, really stupid thing to do.
, my friend it is a very sad day when we start to give a flying f#2k what Mr drink problem Brazil thinks.

T
Lennon and Sutton have done and said some awful things about our club and our players, Rangers cannot guarantee that some in our fan base might do or say anything to these two cretins, I beleive Rangers done the right thing, albeit the timing of it was a bit strange.
Also did Le Guen not get his coat covered in spittle from Celtc scum, i cant remember if it was a Sharkheed or Tyncastle?
Tyncastle mate.

The pundits stand on an open platform in the East Enclosure, if popcorn teeth got scudded with a pie or a coin, the media would of had a field day, and no doubt Rangers would of been fined by UEFA. For me the correct decision was made.
I agree rangers done the correct thing here 100%

This guy is offended by so many things. A day in the life of Dornan;
" It's a nice sunny day, blue skies. Blue skies, reminds me of Rangers. "
" I'll have a banana for lunch. Hate oranges. Orange walks. I need to complain."
" That driver indicated right instead of left. Obviously sectarian in nature as the indicator light is orange. We need to stop marches."
" Grass cutters outside my hoose. Obviously hate green and are pure bigots."

Back