Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

Always love contributing to these type of threads.

Stanley Matthews playing for Rangers during the war ...
bT54L3l.jpg

My Dad's hero ...
LQbjmD0.jpg

Eric Caldow, Jim Baxter, Ralph Brand and Davy Wilson ...
uCLpwmL.jpg
Loving that retro top

Rangers tour of Canada 1930

Rangers players who made the trip in 1930 were:

Alex “Sandy” Archibald, G. Brown, John Buchanan, Tommy Craig, Jimmy Fleming, Dougie Gray, Tommy Hamilton,
J. Marshall, Robert McDonald, Bob McPhail, Davie Meiklejohn, Alan Morton, Tommy Muirhead, W.G. Nicholson,
Jimmy Simpson, J. Smith.

May 21st Toronto Ulster United 3 Rangers 4 in Toronto, Ontario
May 24 Hamilton Thistles 0: Rangers 3 in Hamilton, Ontario
May 25 New York Nationals 4: Rangers 5 in New York, N.Y.
May 30 Fall River Marksmen 2: Rangers 3 in New Bedford, Massachusetts
May 31 Montreal Carsteel 2: Rangers 5 in Montreal, Quebec
June 3 Winnipeg Fort Rouge 2: Rangers 4 in Winnipeg, Manitoba
June 5 Edmonton All-Stars 0: Rangers 5 in Edmonton, Alberta
June 7 Vancouver St. Andrews 1: Rangers 7 in Vancouver, British Columbia
June 9 Victoria West 1: Rangers 8 in Victoria, British Columbia
June 11 Calgary United 1: Rangers 8 in Calgary, Alberta
June 15 Chicago Sparta 1: Rangers 4 in Chicago, Illinois
June 18 Detroit All-Stars 1: Rangers 3 in Detroit, Michigan
June 20 Cleveland Bruells 1: Rangers 3 in Cleveland, Ohio
June 22 Fall River Marksmen 1: Rangers 6 in New York, N.Y

Rangers tour of Canada 1930

Rangers players who made the trip in 1930 were:

Alex “Sandy” Archibald, G. Brown, John Buchanan, Tommy Craig, Jimmy Fleming, Dougie Gray, Tommy Hamilton,
J. Marshall, Robert McDonald, Bob McPhail, Davie Meiklejohn, Alan Morton, Tommy Muirhead, W.G. Nicholson,
Jimmy Simpson, J. Smith.

May 21st Toronto Ulster United 3 Rangers 4 in Toronto, Ontario
May 24 Hamilton Thistles 0: Rangers 3 in Hamilton, Ontario
May 25 New York Nationals 4: Rangers 5 in New York, N.Y.
May 30 Fall River Marksmen 2: Rangers 3 in New Bedford, Massachusetts
May 31 Montreal Carsteel 2: Rangers 5 in Montreal, Quebec
June 3 Winnipeg Fort Rouge 2: Rangers 4 in Winnipeg, Manitoba
June 5 Edmonton All-Stars 0: Rangers 5 in Edmonton, Alberta
June 7 Vancouver St. Andrews 1: Rangers 7 in Vancouver, British Columbia
June 9 Victoria West 1: Rangers 8 in Victoria, British Columbia
June 11 Calgary United 1: Rangers 8 in Calgary, Alberta
June 15 Chicago Sparta 1: Rangers 4 in Chicago, Illinois
June 18 Detroit All-Stars 1: Rangers 3 in Detroit, Michigan
June 20 Cleveland Bruells 1: Rangers 3 in Cleveland, Ohio
June 22 Fall River Marksmen 1: Rangers 6 in New York, N.Y

In the game at Hamilton Ontario, Rangers captain was "Whitey" McDonald, and the home team captain was his brother "Red" McDonald.

It's been a long time since I posted in this thread since tinypic blocked all my old uploads. But it's still the best thread on the forum and so I thought I'd do some reloads of old photos. Apologies if they've been posted by others since:

Rangers 1-0 Celtic, 2nd January 1969. John Greig scores from the spot past the bigot Fallon at Ibrox and it's a league double for Rangers over them in 1968/69:

4ZM6XAI.jpg

It's been a long time since I posted in this thread since tinypic blocked all my old uploads. But it's still the best thread on the forum and so I thought I'd do some reloads of old photos. Apologies if they've been posted by others since:

Rangers 1-0 Celtic, 2nd January 1969. John Greig scores from the spot past the bigot Fallon at Ibrox and it's a league double for Rangers over them in 1968/69:

4ZM6XAI.jpg
After both victories we drew 3-3 with Killie in the next league games.

Rangers 2-1 Celtic, 30th August 1975. Is there a better sight for a Bear than a crestfallen Tim keeper after a Rangers goal? Here it's Latchford looking forlorn as a Derek Johnstone piledriver nestles in the onion bag for Rangers equaliser on the opening day of the new Premier League in front of a still record crowd of 69,594:

L7jVQes.jpg

After both victories we drew 3-3 with Killie in the next league games.

Aye, we always seemed to throw away the advantage every time we beat them. Weird it was the same score each time. 3 points dropped to Airdrie and 2 to St Johnstone didn't help either. We had a good side then but for some reason they had a habit of tossing away good chances of success.

Aye, we always seemed to throw away the advantage every time we beat them. Weird it was the same score each time. 3 points dropped to Airdrie and 2 to St Johnstone didn't help either. We had a good side then but for some reason they had a habit of tossing away good chances of success.
I remember the Ibrox game. I'm sure they had a squinty-eyed winger called Gerry Queen? And as you say, the two points won against them, were spunked away in the next game.

Reactions: ao2

4ZM6XAI.jpg
Never apologise for posting goals against them @ao2. It is good to see you back on this thread.

Rangers 5-0 Morton, 26th October 1963, League Cup Final. You'd be forgiven for thinking this was one of Jim Forrest's FOUR goals in the final but it's actually his cousin Alex Willoughby (on the far right) slotting in number three as Rangers run riot after a scoreless first half:

H2BXPcq.jpg

Did JG al
Two giants of the game, John Greig and Bobby Moore, shake hands before the Scotland v England match at Hampden, 24th February 1968. The match ended in a 1-1 draw:

qFBXFnq.jpg
I can't remember, but did JG always wear his shin pads outside his socks?

Reactions: ao2
Pretty early for that game. Usually it would have been played at the tail end of the season.

Had the date anything to do with it being a Euro Championship qualifier?
Just before my time.
Did the winners of the Home Internationals qualify for the Euros back then?

Pretty early for that game. Usually it would have been played at the tail end of the season.

Had the date anything to do with it being a Euro Championship qualifier?

Yes mate. Scotland needed to win to qualify and it was played early for qualification. Typical Scotland took 3 points from England but lost to Northern Ireland and drew with Wales!

Back