Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

Rangers 2-0 St Mirren, Scottish Cup Final - 21st April 1962:

N7d73z1.jpg

Wonder what the reason was for that photo? At first I thought it was the LC final team which beat Morton but no Alex Willoughby in the frame and I don’t think Jimmy Millar played in the game.
That was taken a few days before we played Everton in a British Championship decider on November 27th so it may be to do with that.

RANGERS v EVERTON​

BRITISH CHAMPIONSHIP DECIDER 1st LEG
27th November 1963
3-1 Everton
Rangers Goalscorer, John Greig
Everton Goalscorers, Alex Scott, Temple, Young
Attendance 64,006

The Rangers Team
Ritchie, Shearer, Provan, Greig, McKinnon, Baxter, Henderson, Millar, Forrest, Brand, C Watson
Substitute Used, Baillie​

Last edited:
Motherwell 2-2 Rangers, 29th October 1969. Colin Stein gets no.2, scoring past Peter McCloy at Fir Park. Five months later McCloy would be at Ibrox:

4GcitLi.jpg

Were we one up and 2-1 down late into the game that day?
Auld minds playing up.
Or was that the Scottish cup that went to a replay at Ibrox that we on 4-2 ?

Were we one up and 2-1 down late into the game that day?
Auld minds playing up.
Or was that the Scottish cup that went to a replay at Ibrox that we on 4-2 ? In 69 we were 2 up and ended up 2-2 .
Almost, in 69 we were 2 up and lost 2 goals to draw 2-2. A few weeks later we repeated that at Cappielow.
You're correct about the 72 cup q-f, Stein equalised to take it to a replay.

Rangers line-up for the camera, 25th November 1963:

2uWT0Wl.jpg
That was taken a few days before we played Everton in a British Championship decider on November 27th so it may be to do with that.

RANGERS v EVERTON​

BRITISH CHAMPIONSHIP DECIDER 1st LEG​

27th November 1963​

3-1 Everton​

Rangers Goalscorer, John Greig​

Everton Goalscorers, Alex Scott, Temple, Young​

Attendance 64,006​

The Rangers Team​

Ritchie, Shearer, Provan, Greig, McKinnon, Baxter, Henderson, Millar, Forrest, Brand, C Watson​

Substitute Used, Baillie​

Great Find Sir.
That game against Everton cost us Baxter for the rest of that year.
He was nursing an injured ankle, and had missed two previous games because of it.
I'm pretty sure though he would have been determined to play in a 'British Championship'.
Unfortunately, Baxter had to come off in the first half, and was replaced by Doug Baillie, with Ronnie McKinnon taking up Slim Jim's Left Half position.
Baxter hobbled out the Victoria, the following day sporting a full on heavy stookie from his knee to his toes, and announced he would be out for at least six weeks.
Baxter could now join long term casualties, Eric Caldow, out since last April, and Davy Wilson, out with a broken ankle, since the League Cup semi Final, hence the reason the young Craig Watson was getting a run in the team.
As it turned out, Baxter would miss only 5 League games, but it was costly.
In the 5 League games Baxter that missed, Rangers lost two and won two.
A 0-3 loss to Hearts at Ibrox was our first domestic defeat of the season, and the first time we had lost at Ibrox domestically in some 20 months (40 Games).
We followed that up with a 2-3 defeat in our next home game v St Johnstone ( with a certain Alex Ferguson scoring a hat trick), that saw us lose our place to Kilmarnock at the top of the table.

Baxter returned just in time for the Ne'erday fixture against Celtic, at the Piggery.
Harold Davis was brought back in to the side for only his second appearance of the season, and Rangers were led out by Eric Caldow, on just his second appearance, since his leg break at Wembley the previous April. The Big guns were back in for this one, with Celtic just 3 points behind us, as we still trailed Kilmarnock by a single point.
Rangers won the game 1-0 with another Jimmy Millar special, and never looked back as they went on to win the League Championship with three games to spare, and completed the coveted Treble, with a fine 3-1 over Dundee in the Scottish Cup Final, a few weeks later.

The teenage sensation Jim Forrest, would miss the last 8 games of the season, following a season ending injury sustained at Pittodrie in March, but he still ended up top scorer, with an incredible 39 Goals in 39 games.
Ralph Brand scored 29 Goals in 49 games.
Billy Ritchie and John Greig played every minute of all 52 games it took, to collect that Treble,

Rangers 1-0 Aberdeen, 4th October 1975. Geoghegan makes a one-handed save against Gers as Derek Parlane looks on:

RQLGBcK.jpg
My God do I remember that day, almost torrential rain and a gale blowing, a pretty small crowd of around the 16,000 mark, the only goal was scored by Ian McDougall. Sticks in my mind as a friend and I were over from N.I. and almost got ourselves arrested: we were peeing down a close near Ibrox when an old hag (concerned resident) came out and blew a whistle. The cops arrived and grabbed us, but a few Gers fans jostled them and I ran off. I felt guilty so I went back and we were given a good telling off by the cop, who said that if he hadn't been a Gers fan he would have arrested us. Watched the game from under the roof at the Copland Road end, remember the fans singing, "Glasgow Rangers kings of Scotland, we're gonna win the European Cup, Derby County, English bastards, you're gonna finish runners up.". They didn't do that , but I was back at the end of the season to see us beating Hearts in the Scottish Cup Final to complete the domestic treble.

Rangers 1961-62 ?
A rare photo with Jim Christie in the line up (front row, 4th from the left).
Played 8 games, scored 8 goals in just over two months, then disappeared.
Can't see Ian McMillan in the photo, though he would very much be part of that team, having made something like 130 appearances between 1960-62.

rangers-team-1961-62-line-up-main-stand-Ibrox-21899337.jpg.webp

(Back) Willie Henderson, Wilson Wood, Willie Penman, ? Neil, George McLean (1), Billy Ritchie, Norrie Martin, Ken McFarlane, George Niven, Max Murray, Willie Hunter, Bobby Hume, Robert Burnside, Johnny Little.
(Middle) Albert Franks, John Binnie, Willie Stevenson, Robert King, Ronnie McKinnon, ? More, Bill Paterson, ? Evans, Doug Baillie, Bob Sutherland, Harold Davis, Roger Hynd, Davie Provan,
? Greenwood, Jim Baxter, ? Reid, Stan Anderson, Joe Craven.
(Front) Scot Symon, Alex Scott, Craig Watson, Jim Christie, Alex Willoughby, Bobby Shearer,
George Mooney, Eric Caldow, John Greig, Jimmy Millar, Jim Forrest, Ralph Brand, ? Wilson, Davy Wilson, Dave Kinnear.

91j8OY6XaNL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Rangers 1961-62 ?
A rare photo with Jim Christie in the line up (front row, 4th from the left).
Played 8 games, scored 8 goals in just over two months, then disappeared.
Can't see Ian McMillan in the photo, though he would very much be part of that team, having made something like 130 appearances between 1960-62.

rangers-team-1961-62-line-up-main-stand-Ibrox-21899337.jpg.webp

(Back) Willie Henderson, Wilson Wood, Willie Penman, ? Neil, George McLean (1), Billy Ritchie, Norrie Martin, Ken McFarlane, George Niven, Max Murray, Willie Hunter, Bobby Hume, ? Burnside, Johnny Little.
(Middle) Albert Franks, ? Binnie, Willie Stevenson, Robert King, Ronnie McKinnon, ? More, Bill Paterson, ? Evans, Doug Baillie, ? Sutherland, Harold Davis, Roger Hynd, Davie Provan,
? Greenwood, Jim Baxter, ? Reid, Stan Anderson, Joe Craven.
(Front) Scot Symon, Alex Scott, Craig Watson, Jim Christie, Alex Willoughby, Bobby Shearer,
? Mooney, Eric Caldow, John Greig, Jimmy Millar, Jim Forrest, Ralph Brand, ? Wilson, Davy Wilson, Dave Kinnear.

91j8OY6XaNL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
Some first name additions :-

John Binnie
Robert Burnside
George Mooney

Back