Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

F8ymJ0eXEAAAuRc
Bobby Shearer’s legs would just clean you right out. And you wouldn’t be getting back up.

Just to the left of the TV “rig”, the man in the raincoat with glasses looks like it could be George Davidson, who used to commentate on “Sportsreel” ( forerunner of Sportscene ) on Saturday nights on BBC Scotland . . . back when BBC Scotland had some credibility and kudos!

My memory of that game was Bert Slater the Dundee goalie having a great match in what was an epic final.
They called it the Bert Slater final.
For whatever reason, the history books have too often overlooked this great Rangers side's achievement, of winning five consecutive domestic Trophies, at a time when Scotland was blessed with quite a few very good sides, so much so, that they have often referred to this particular historic game as the
'Bert Slater Final', so named after the heroics of the Dundee goalkeeper.
What a load of absolute shite!
When has a final ever been christened after a loser, especially a Goalkeeper who conceded 3 goals, 2 of them in the last 2 minutes, that cost his team the Cup.
Only a warped and extremely jealous media, could contrive such a ridiculous thing.
This was, the Jimmy Millar Final.

For whatever reason, the history books have too often overlooked this great Rangers side's achievement, of winning five consecutive domestic Trophies, at a time when Scotland was blessed with quite a few very good sides, so much so, that they have often referred to this particular historic game as the
When has a final ever been christened after a loser, especially a Goalkeeper who conceded 3 goals, 2 of them in the last 2 minutes, that cost his team the Cup.
Only a warped and extremely jealous media, could contrive such a ridiculous thing.
I disagree, watching Slater’s performance that day I would go as far to argue that it was one of the best games anyone has played at Hampden - though his positioning for Millar’s goals is, questionable.

Don't hold back old chum. Say what you mean.

Just to the left of the TV “rig”, the man in the raincoat with glasses looks like it could be George Davidson, who used to commentate on “Sportsreel” ( forerunner of Sportscene ) on Saturday nights on BBC Scotland . . . back when BBC Scotland had some credibility and kudos!
I think you are spot on WB.

The year before my first game but could've easily been me down at the wall and ready to jump over to celebrate when we scored. I like the wee gers supporter who's left his ginger bottle on the track and the boys with their free photo from the paper. Suprised I can only see one guy having a 'swally' so not the section where my Da and his mates stood!

I disagree, watching Slater’s performance that day I would go as far to argue that it was one of the best games anyone has played at Hampden - though his positioning for Millar’s goals is, questionable.
I respect your opinion, and Bert Slater certainly pulled off some fantastic saves that day, and some incredibly fortunate blocks too, but your last remark is exactly why Rangers won the Cup, and Dundee didn't.
A questionable goalkeeper, who is questionably at fault for a couple of goals in a Cup Final, when the teams are deadlocked just two mins from full time, then lose by 2 goals, could only merit a Man of the Match in one of Scotland's greatest ever Cup Finals, by those too pained to recognise the greatness of that Rangers team.
In just the previous 12 months, or 355 days to be precise,
this wonderful Rangers team had wrapped up 2 Scottish League Championships, 2 Scottish Cups, and a League Cup.

There has been many a heroic display by losing Goalkeepers in Cup Finals over the years, but I can't think of any that were named after them.

Don't be fooled
This was the Jimmy Millar Final

Last edited:
I respect your opinion, and Bert Slater certainly pulled off some fantastic saves that day, and some incredibly fortunate blocks too, but your last remark is exactly why Rangers won the Cup, and Dundee didn't.
A questionable goalkeeper, who is questionably at fault for a couple of goals in a Cup Final, when the teams are deadlocked just two mins from full time, then lose by 2 goals, could only merit a Man of the Match in one of Scotland's greatest ever Cup Finals, by those too pained to recognise the greatness of that Rangers team.
In just the previous 12 months, or 355 days to be precise,
this wonderful Rangers team had wrapped up 2 Scottish League Championships, 2 Scottish Cups, and a League Cup.
There has been many a heroic display by losing Goalkeepers in Cup Finals over the years, but I can't think of any that were named after them.

Don't be fooled
This was the Jimmy Millar Final
Oh, I don’t know. I remember when we beat Celtic 5-1 in 1988 in a game I’ll always remember as being the “Ian Andrews match”.:))

with the wee white single earpiece plugged in
Back in the day a guy with a radio could be a real power-broker. Whatever they said swept around the stadium.
I remember the most exciting thing about our 3-0 win over East Fife in Jan 76, was hearing Motherwell clawing back a 2 goal defecit to beat the Tims.

Sadly, mis informatiin could break your heart too. Such as "Walter Kidd has just scored for Hearts' some years later (May 86).

Back in the day a guy with a radio could be a real power-broker. Whatever they said swept around the stadium.
I remember the most exciting thing about our 3-0 win over East Fife in Jan 76, was hearing Motherwell clawing back a 2 goal defecit to beat the Tims.

Sadly, mis informatiin could break your heart too. Such as "Walter Kidd has just scored for Hearts' some years later (May 86).
I longed to hear the magic words that lifted my young heart - “Papes ur wan doon”. Ah, bliss.

In thinking about Doug Houston, he was one of those peculiar signings we often made, like Iain Munro. Houston was very well regarded at Dundee, but never was a regular for us.

Back