Club 1872 Director's Resignation

Probably trying to let members know why he has resigned like is their right and let the broader support know that he thinks Club 1872 isn’t working with the supporters best interests at heart.
He shouldn’t resign anonymously then. Hiding behind a forum avatar makes it look like bitching.

People come, people go.

Happens in all organisations.

Happens more often in new organisations.

People need to put things in perspective rather than going haywire every time something happens.
That post smacks of sweep sweep.

And you wonder why more of us don't sign up.
Ffs they have a moral responsibility to represent their members views whether it be controversial or confrontational (non violent of course)

What's the point contributing to an organisation that is forever bordering on farce?
Far from it. They work very hard, and are achieving results. It'd be amazing what they could do with a little more respect between directors, and the will to truly challenge the club on matters of interest to members.

Cub 1872 is never going to succeed at the level a group like that has ge potential to

The statement to the board last week was embarrassing and done no favours in terms of drumming up new support

I’d try not to view the mistakes. Look at the potential. They have a great platform to make serious change.

We keep hearing this PS but it seems ongoing strife , weak statements and internal wrangling is the order of the day.

It’s a huge reason why membership isn’t anywhere near what it should be. All very sad .

Would David Edgar consider a return to the fold ? It’s needed .

We keep hearing this PS but it seems ongoing strife , weak statements and internal wrangling is the order of the day.

It’s a huge reason why membership isn’t anywhere near what it should be. All very sad .

I don't think the Kilwinning Old Folks home will take to kindly to bears trying to coax one of its residents out. :D

Yup. I agree.

It doesn’t matter who is part of it, there should be two things at the forefront of every objective/task they undertake. The club and the fans. Nothing more and nothing less.

Far from it. They work very hard, and are achieving results. It'd be amazing what they could do with a little more respect between directors, and the will to truly challenge the club on matters of interest to members.

Name me a "result"?

Club 1872 have been structurally and operationally poor for quite a while now.

I first contacted them via email to express where my expertise lay and how I could add value via a number of micro improvements that can make quite a rapid improvement to both perception and communication.

I received no reply.

Then, I sent another email highlighting all of the above once more - and providing the lack of response as one of the reasons why my suggestions mattered, with real world examples.

I received no reply.

Iain (the OP) and I then got to talking when I realsied he was a board member and again raised my suggestions - and I could tell by the way he was interacting with me that he cared. I could tell he really wanted to make a difference to Club 1872 and the perception, and the way it operated.

So I sent across a substantial set of action plan points with my personal contact details to Iain and he was quite clear in that he was assigned to certain projects outwith the scope of my expertise but would absolutely be passing everything across to someone dealing with those areas and we would hopefully get the ball rolling.

I have no doubt whatsoever Iain passed my information across - but yet again, nobody ever got in touch.

I own and operate two very substantially active businesses in consulting and digital services and was prepared to give a lot of time and effort to Club 1872 for free - for work I'd normally invoice a fortune for, and nobody could be arsed even replying.

That told me all I needed to know about Club 1872, I cancelled shortly thereafter.

I don't doubt anything Iain has said here, the management of Club 1872 has been borderline incompetent for years now and shows no sign of improvement, ever.

I've said it before, I badly, badly miss the militant BITE of the RST and wish this merger never happened. (Lifetime RST Member here!)

If that's true about Chris, that's a joke. If Laura really did say that to Stewart Robertson, she needs to resign as she's 10000% so badly out of touch with their members and the thought of her leading the charge for the people she apparently disagrees with is very concerning.

Last edited:
I had a little bit of money I thought of giving towards their share issue. But been very very unimpressed with what I’ve heard from the ladies at the top .. something doesn’t sit right. Mr Edgar you should be leading the charge for change and make them relevant again

I like Chris Graham. If the club are paying him though, then I wouldn't mind an answer on the reason why.

I had a little bit of money I thought of giving towards their share issue. But been very very unimpressed with what I’ve heard from the ladies at the top .. something doesn’t sit right. Mr Edgar you should be leading the charge for change and make them relevant again

I reckon he'd do a good job but sounds like he has his hands full working on the podcast.

I was a paying member till recently but have always been sceptical of them and there bizarre statements

I have now cancelled my contribution as i personally don't feel the connection i had with Rangers 1st or the supporters trust and don't believe in the way C1872 Currently operate and that they listen to what we as a support want, my wee brother is a big supporter of C1872 but is now starting to see them for what they are.

The semi final statement was the last straw along with the total silence while the club is falling apart and needs fixing with strong supporter engagement.

What the %^*& am i paying in to? Think i’ll maybe halt that for a wee while.

I've just paused my monthly subscription for the time being to see how this plays out doesn't sound good.

I would like to take the opportunity to explain my reason for resigning as a director of club 1872.

I got involved last year because I perceived that Laura Fawkes and Joanne Percival were good people trying to do their best for fellow Rangers fans. I have been involved in numerous boards of charities and local voluntary organisations down the years and have a lot of experience of partnership working and strategy development and delivery.

I first became concerned at the start of the year whilst in a meeting with Stewart Robertson with Laura Fawkes. I was endeavouring to outline the issue raised by Laura at the AGM on behalf of the fans which was the lack of transparency of the club and how there was a disconnect between both parties, whilst making this point Laura interrupted me to state she didn’t think this was an issue. I found it difficult to understand both her interruption and her undermining what I personally feel is a tangible issue (raised by members prior to the AGM).

This set the tone over the following months where the club made offers of assistance but rarely delivered and were never taken to task. I understand that their reasoning will be they were dealing with stabilising the club and although I recognise this as an issue I felt it extremely difficult to feel any real tangible assistance by the club other than paying Chris Graham for a number of days a week assistance to Club 1872.

As Laura and Chris do the majority of the organisations day to day work I felt increasingly minimised whilst I endeavoured to deliver a number of projects in conjunction with the charity foundation, Rangers disabled supporters group and also the Founder’s trail, with the overall feeling that unless it was their idea there was little support for moving things forward.

After a number of exchanges with Laura where I felt she was disrespectful towards me I felt that I had no other course of action but to resign, which I did about a month ago, at the same time another director tendered their resignation as they were unhappy how the board was operating however I believe they may have been talked into staying.

I found no support amongst the other directors as Joanne in truth contributes very little to the organisation and endorses Laura’s every decision, and the other directors are happy to take no action. I suppose the best way to sum up how little cognisance the board took of the issues I raised was when Euan Mcfarlane called me to tell me not to undermine the organisation which he had spent so much time building and also to think about the negativity that might occur towards other directors if I went public, he summed up this one sided approach by stating that Laura admitted she had made mistakes, but had done nothing wrong which I personally believe is a contradiction but perhaps I am being overly critical.

It transpires that my resignation has been fortunate as I am now dealing with a fairly serious illness and the stress encountered during my tenure has undoubtedly not helped, with this in mind I really do not wish to say anything further or lobby for change.

In conclusion I believe in Club 1872 and the notion of a true fans voice. I don’t believe that the organisation will move forward with Laura Fawkes and Joanne Percival involved. There will shortly be a member’s vote to extend director’s terms which will keep them in place for a longer period. I would ask that any genuine person who is committed to representing fans and holding the club truly accountable stands for election later in the year, and that all club 1872 members consider very seriously when they agree to perpetuating the board in its current form when the vote is held with regards to extending director’s terms.

Any chance you might actually tell us who you are? I presume that mully10 is not your actual name, so why the hiding behind a forum name? You could be absolutely anyone - a real Club 1872 director, a troublesome mentally challenged, or a kangaroo killer from Urrawullumba.

Until you declare yourself with your real name, I am going for the kangaroo option.

Sounds familiar Stewart Robertson making promises to engage with the supporters and then doing nothing

I have been rapily moving to the position where I believe Stewart Robertson needs to go.

He isn't listening, isn't willing to listen and has no intention of implementing any of the things ordinary fans are saying we want ( safe standing and tramps out the Broomy)

He's a flim flam man.

Last edited:
I first became concerned at the start of the year whilst in a meeting with Stewart Robertson with Laura Fawkes. I was endeavouring to outline the issue raised by Laura at the AGM on behalf of the fans which was the lack of transparency of the club and how there was a disconnect between both parties

As a member this part interests me .
Me too.

Like to hear Laura’s side of story.

Mully naming and shaming folk maybe he will furnish FF with his name so we know who he is.

Massively disappointing, I’m a big fan of the idea around Club1872, been a member since the day of formation but I’m now struggling to justify continuing my membership.
Your resignation should have been communicated to members within 2 days at the very least.
Never mind the urgent need to recruit new members, how can you expect current members to continue when key events and changes to the board aren’t passed on to members until some time later?!

Hope you recover from illness.

Its glaringly obvious alot of bears aren’t keen on club 1872 and didn’t sign up initially. Now members are losing confidence in the organisation. Once all trust is gone there won’t be any coming back from it. If this is to work then something needs done now to stop this rot. Do you have any suggestions?

Put yourself forward for election.

Any chance you might actually tell us who you are? I presume that mully10 is not your actual name, so why the hiding behind a forum name? You could be absolutely anyone - a real Club 1872 director, a troublesome mentally challenged, or a kangaroo killer from Urrawullumba.

Until you declare yourself with your real name, I am going for the kangaroo option.
Urrawullumba doesn’t exist. I’ve just googled it. He can’t be a that.

I left after the last round of director resignations because I did not feel that the group were going to hold it together at all at that point. They came back and have been working away in the background, seemingly quite well on the face of it. The fact that little rivalries keep bubbling up is a huge concern because it looks like people who are asking for votes to be on the board are not willing to let their personal opinions be shelved in order to carry out the wishes of the membership. If there is genuinely a feeling on the C1872 board that the club is transparent enough, that is one (wrong) thing, but if an individual representing the membership is stating that during meetings, there is a significant problem and that individual is not working under the mandate they have been given.

I think that they are suffering from trying to be all things to all men right now. Are they political? are they trying to get a seat on the board? are they in serious discussion about the issues at the club or are they fobbed off at every turn because they are walking a fine line and trying to balance several different spinning plates? Perhaps a more basic, single line approach would re-engage people like me, a clear purpose, well defined and with set goals. If all of that exists, it is well hidden.

One thing to remember, member or not, these people give of their time freely.

I would like to take the opportunity to explain my reason for resigning as a director of club 1872.

I got involved last year because I perceived that Laura Fawkes and Joanne Percival were good people trying to do their best for fellow Rangers fans. I have been involved in numerous boards of charities and local voluntary organisations down the years and have a lot of experience of partnership working and strategy development and delivery.

I first became concerned at the start of the year whilst in a meeting with Stewart Robertson with Laura Fawkes. I was endeavouring to outline the issue raised by Laura at the AGM on behalf of the fans which was the lack of transparency of the club and how there was a disconnect between both parties, whilst making this point Laura interrupted me to state she didn’t think this was an issue. I found it difficult to understand both her interruption and her undermining what I personally feel is a tangible issue (raised by members prior to the AGM).

This set the tone over the following months where the club made offers of assistance but rarely delivered and were never taken to task. I understand that their reasoning will be they were dealing with stabilising the club and although I recognise this as an issue I felt it extremely difficult to feel any real tangible assistance by the club other than paying Chris Graham for a number of days a week assistance to Club 1872.

As Laura and Chris do the majority of the organisations day to day work I felt increasingly minimised whilst I endeavoured to deliver a number of projects in conjunction with the charity foundation, Rangers disabled supporters group and also the Founder’s trail, with the overall feeling that unless it was their idea there was little support for moving things forward.

After a number of exchanges with Laura where I felt she was disrespectful towards me I felt that I had no other course of action but to resign, which I did about a month ago, at the same time another director tendered their resignation as they were unhappy how the board was operating however I believe they may have been talked into staying.

I found no support amongst the other directors as Joanne in truth contributes very little to the organisation and endorses Laura’s every decision, and the other directors are happy to take no action. I suppose the best way to sum up how little cognisance the board took of the issues I raised was when Euan Mcfarlane called me to tell me not to undermine the organisation which he had spent so much time building and also to think about the negativity that might occur towards other directors if I went public, he summed up this one sided approach by stating that Laura admitted she had made mistakes, but had done nothing wrong which I personally believe is a contradiction but perhaps I am being overly critical.

It transpires that my resignation has been fortunate as I am now dealing with a fairly serious illness and the stress encountered during my tenure has undoubtedly not helped, with this in mind I really do not wish to say anything further or lobby for change.

In conclusion I believe in Club 1872 and the notion of a true fans voice. I don’t believe that the organisation will move forward with Laura Fawkes and Joanne Percival involved. There will shortly be a member’s vote to extend director’s terms which will keep them in place for a longer period. I would ask that any genuine person who is committed to representing fans and holding the club truly accountable stands for election later in the year, and that all club 1872 members consider very seriously when they agree to perpetuating the board in its current form when the vote is held with regards to extending director’s terms.

Are you Graeme Murty? I thought I had heard the best 'woe is me, it's not my fault' from our so called manager this week, but you might just have topped it here. Grow up.

sure David said his time has come and gone and he's no desire to go back to it

he's probably also need to chuck his podcast network which he's worked hard to build up the last 7 or 8 years if he took up a role there, as he'd no longer be viewed as independent

That's a big big ask.

The fans should get a seat. 100%. Just how that happens is up for debate

Personally I think c1872 is the right mechanism to provide that person. If they can sort it out. It shouldn’t be difficult.

If they get a seat on the board they won't be able to consult with the members on most things so it would just be one of these people making decisions on their own inexperienced opinion.

Imagine David Edgar on the board of the RST as we went through everything we are at the moment? He would relentlessly be going fucking tonto at the board and chastising them at any given opportunity until change happened or we got transparency/explanations.

Compare and contrast with club1872 during this shit show of a last few years?

Let’s be honest, the RST was twice the organisation that Club 1872 is without the help or the publicity

The RST told it as was and spoke when the support needed it. It also had far more connect with the average punter.

I’m sorry to hear the OP is battling illness, good luck with that.

Last edited:
I am still a member but each bitch fest at Club 1872 edges me closer to cancelling.

Suppose I am just happy that at least a group of fans have a decent share holding in the club.

Let’s be honest, the RST was twice the organisation that Club 1872 is without the help or the publicly.

The RST told it as was and spoke when the support needed it. It also had far more connect with the average punter.

I miss it so much mate.

I felt part of something special with the RST, every single one of those lads worked their arse off, and sacrificed so much to lead the way.

With you at the helm I would definitely be confident the Board would not have an easy ride.
With all due respect mate, the board are fobbing him off left right and centre regarding broomie4bears.... When will we realise that this board don't give a fuk about the fans who have stuck with and pulled the club through the darkest of times. Shambles from top to bottom

Every time there is an issue it's made public. Sounds like playground stuff, he said, she said.

A reflection of the folk who are elected to the board. If the OP was of the kind of character required then he/she would not be resorting to this kind of pish.

An idea might be to invite people in who are in it for the right reasons and can actually work with others to do something meaningful.

There must be 1000’s of fans with serious and robust commercial or public board experience (Rather than erm, ‘numerous charities and local voluntary organisations) who could contribute. Christ, without knowing them personally, I could probably suggest some just by their posts on here.

This public girning is quite honestly a public embarrassment.

Ask yourself this?

You want the RFC Board chastised for appointing Murty. Fine. But who at C1872 takes the rap for appointing this guy (the OP)?

This is hugely disappointing. It would seem that when certain fans make it to a seat at the table they stop doing the stuff that got them there in the first place. Instead, they start to settle in for a comfy meal ticket at the pointy end of the club.

That’s a bit like saying you wouldn’t join the Masons, trade unions, political parties, churches or a charity - they all have internal squabbles.

If these accusations are true (and I’d like to hear from the others named) then Club 1872 is simply not fit for purpose.

The idea of the group is that they are the fans voice with the board and do not answer to the board.

Yet allegedly, Rangers are paying someone to do work for Club 1872.

Allegedly Laura doesn’t fight points raised by members because she personally doesn’t think they are issues.

Then my question is does she really not think they aren’t issues or is she playing them down to curry favour with the Rangers board?

Like I said there’s a bit if in this all but I don’t see any denial as yet.

That’s a bit like saying you wouldn’t join the Masons, trade unions, political parties, churches or a charity - they all have internal squabbles.
Just feels like 1 step forward 2 steps back - constantly, for years.

Not being funny but the majority (I think) of the replies on here kind of give an indication of how the wider support view all this.

The low numbers of member sign-ups also show the reluctance of the wider support to comit to and engage with a fans group as they have seen to many versions come and go. If Club1872 has a long term future in its current form I would be very surprised.

And their recent statement does nothing to help.

Back