Clydebank vs Elgin City

Not sure if it was a merger or whatever, but I played against Clydebank when they were called Milgnevie Wanderers at U16.

Got skudded like 11-1.
Aye that’s Clydebank’s current youth teams - they just rebranded Milngavie as it was the easiest way to set up youth teams as it’s needed for the SFA licence.

Airdrie United (now Airdrieoanians) bought Clydebank, re-named the club and took their place in the SFL in 2002.

What is the difference in level here? Elgin look like the non-league team here
There isn't that much between the levels, Cove Rangers came straight up and Kelty came up and are top of SPFL 2. Brechin got demoted and are currently 4th in the Highland League

I can’t remember the ins and outs of it but, if we’re talking lineage, isn’t the current Airdrie actually the old Clydebank ?
Airdrieonians went bust (replaced by Greta in the league)
Soon after Airdrie United bought out Clydebank, rebranded and moved to Airdrie, but transferred the badge and name to the Clydebank supporters group who started a phoenix club.

Correct, poorly run at board level and for years been a total lack of ambition.
That said, massive hinderence is the money on offer in highland league therefore some of the better players tend to stay their
Seems to me like the Elgin board would love to get back to being a big fish in the Highland League. Not one promotion since reaching the 'big leagues'.......terrible for a club like that.

Archetypal game of two halves, the midfield totally controlled by Elgin in the first half and Clydebank in the second half.
I was booked for hospitality for the league game at Borough Briggs on Saturday so I'll get the replay.

Seems to me like the Elgin board would love to get back to being a big fish in the Highland League. Not one promotion since reaching the 'big leagues'.......terrible for a club like that
Main issue is guys work all week and then travel all over for Lgue 2 games, taking up the their whole Sat thus get hosed off with it and move go back to the HL

Not an awful game.

Love the interruptions as the planes land. I used to live round the corner from Holm Park and the highlight of my sons week was the Virgin 747 landing on a Saturday morning.

Main issue is guys work all week and then travel all over for Lgue 2 games, taking up the their whole Sat thus get hosed off with it and move go back to the HL

Was also told by a manager of one of the better Highland League teams that Elgin don't pay that well and the top HL teams can top the wages no problem, couple that with the chance of a medal and less travel he said it was easier to compete for players.

That's a fair point but Ross County players managed it well enough when they got in to the leagues.
Roy McGregor has ploughed in millions into Ross County, and Inverness got £900,000 from Inverness District Council. Money talks, but Elgin's board has been conservative to say the least.

There isn't that much between the levels, Cove Rangers came straight up and Kelty came up and are top of SPFL 2. Brechin got demoted and are currently 4th in the Highland League
Theres a big drop these days in the Highland League. It has lost most of its biggest clubs, Inverness Caley, Inverness Thistle, Peterhead, Elgin, Cove and Ross County. Definite swing in the power balance now toward the Lowland League. For many years those Lowland sides were cannon fodder for the Highlands, not now though.

Draw probably a fair result, but thought Clydebank might have sneaked it towards the end. Helluva an anti climax for a televised cup tie to finish level and not see a winner.

Was also told by a manager of one of the better Highland League teams that Elgin don't pay that well and the top HL teams can top the wages no problem, couple that with the chance of a medal and less travel he said it was easier to compete for players.
Elgin pay a decent wage, trouble for them is that the better highland league clubs have started to match it so the better players stick with a more local league.
Elgin have to rely on players from the central belt so don’t even all train together all the time etc.

Do Elgin get decent crowds in league 2?

In a decade the whole league system will be different. More ambitious clubs will quickly replace your Elgins, Cowdenbeaths etc.
Was talking about this with one of my old coaches recently, teams like EK, Darvel, St Cadocs to name a few have a fair whack of cash in the lower leagues.

The issue is, is it sustainable?.

In general though, I think you’re right.

The boy McGonigle is a great wee player, had the pleasure of watching him at Rossvale for a couple of seasons . He only had an ACL operation in February and was back in training early July. Same surgeon who performed the same operation on Scott Wright while he was at Aberdeen.

Was talking about this with one of my old coaches recently, teams like EK, Darvel, St Cadocs to name a few have a fair whack of cash in the lower leagues.

The issue is, is it sustainable?.

In general though, I think you’re right.
Maybe not sustainable if they keep going with massive investment like Gretna however if they spend enough cash to get in the league and consolidate their position in the top 4 leagues that will be a success.

There’s no doubt a lot of these (former) Junior sides will bring more to the leagues in terms of fans so for that reason I hope it does work out.

Maybe not sustainable if they keep going with massive investment like Gretna however if they spend enough cash to get in the league and consolidate their position in the top 4 leagues that will be a success.

There’s no doubt a lot of these (former) Junior sides will bring more to the leagues in terms of fans so for that reason I hope it does work out.
Hope so mate!.

Went along as a neutral. Was a good game, especially the second half.

I thought Elgin controlled most of the first half, before offering next to nothing in the second.

Decent atmosphere, and another good result for a WoSFL team.

One of Elgin's subs is from Sao Paulo - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matheus_Machado which I thought was a wonderful fact!
What kind of attendance was there tonight?

I used to go regularly to watch my local non league side when I lived in London and it was always a good day out.

You and me need to get a consortium going
Problem has always been that those with the resources to properly finance Elgin could never agree. If you consider the many local Distilleries, two of Scotland's biggest Building Companies (Robertson & Springfield), Walkers (World renowned) Bakers, all centred around Elgin & add that to previous offers of help from seriously wealthy Gaming Entrepreneurs, they should be able to get funded to at least compete with Caley and County.
Its never happened and I'm not sure it ever will.

What kind of attendance was there tonight?

I used to go regularly to watch my local non league side when I lived in London and it was always a good day out.
TV said there was 1k at it. Was all ticket so probably capped at that number.

What non league side was it you go went to see and what tier are they in?

I went out for a couple of pints tonight and quite enjoyed that actually. Better than that plastic English shite.

Fraserburgh absolutely romping that league.

Do Elgin get decent crowds in league 2?
Yes. Elgin are a well supported club. This just adds to the frustration about them. They were well supported too in the Highland League days. It was actually a farce that back in the day Ross County were voted in to the league system before Elgin were simply because Ross County that season had a good cup run and the Highland league had stripped Elgin of the title because they'd played an ineligible player in a match. Prior to that I think Feranti (Meadowbank) who didn't even have a ground were voted in before them. Elgin could and should be a bigger club than Ross County.

TV said there was 1k at it. Was all ticket so probably capped at that number.

What non league side was it you go went to see and what tier are they in?
Dulwich Hamlet. They’re in the National League South which is the sixth tier of English football.

They often pulled in crowds of 2-3000.

Will come down to how much these teams want to actually make it to league football if they do then they will spend the money that's required. The promotion system to the Lowland seems a bit crap playoff between the West, East and South of Scotland league winners for one place so that may need looked at moving forward.

S
Will come down to how much these teams want to actually make it to league football if they do then they will spend the money that's required. The promotion system to the Lowland seems a bit crap playoff between the West, East and South of Scotland league winners for one place so that may need looked at moving forward.
Should be a national conference league of 18 clubs with direct promotion and relegation between it and league two. Much better fall for the league two side and clearer pathway for non league sides. Top 9 lowland sides together with top 9 Highland sides. Have a play off system below that.

S

Should be a national conference league of 18 clubs with direct promotion and relegation between it and league two. Much better fall for the league two side and clearer pathway for non league sides. Top 9 lowland sides together with top 9 Highland sides. Have a play off system below that.
Don't know I think regionalised leagues at that level are the right thing to do but may need to look at better ways of promotion to the league itself.

Back