Comments when Gerrard was appointed

Hurleyreyes

I thought I would look back at a few quotes from the Scottish media when Gerrard was appointed.

I am sure there are more but the ones I found make delicious reading. :)

Ewan Murray, Guardian:
"A needless punt for such a dysfunctional club"
"he has no chance of overhauling his former manager, Brendan Rodgers at Celtic – other than a perception of Rangers in completely embellished form? It is safe to assume Rodgers will take great delight in slapping down one of his former charges"

Sutton:
I think they need £20m, £30m. They need serious investment to compete with Celtic.

Speirs:
"I doubt, frankly, that Steven Gerrard will become the next Rangers manager. It just seems too reckless and risky to be true. The fact that Rangers are seriously considering him is alarming enough."

"Flawed and reckless appointment in my view by Rangers."

"I was at Celtic Park today. This guy is ruthless and all-conquering in Scotland. Rangers plan to put an untested under 18s coach up against him next season. The sheer idiocy of it. It is staggering."

Provan: amongst many comments:
"Stevie Gerrard? Is he having a laugh?"

"Meanwhile, on Merseyside, Steven Gerrard should be bright enough to read the signs. Rangers aren’t right for him — and he isn’t ready for Rangers"

Wonder what they say now?

Anyone remember any other main dissenters?

Hands up. I wasn't too sure of the appointment myself.

Glad to be proved wrong though:D

Sutton is just a fanny.

Reactions: WBD
Kris Boyd

"...Six months later you are away down the road trying to get a youth coach. No disrespect to Gerrard, but at this moment in time that's what he is. I don't think there is a clear direction or plan of where the club wants to go. It seems as if they are trying to grab everything to see if what you grab works rather than having a plan, a structure. "I still don't know what [director of football] Mark Allen is doing.

The club should have a structure in place. It should have a direction of where it wants to go and, at this moment in time, it doesn’t have that. But when I look at the whole thing…if Rangers said they were signing Jose Mourinho as a player there would be outrage. He’s a world-class manager. Gerrard is getting away with it because he’s a world-class player but he’s not been tested on the management side.

For me, they are just trying to grab someone to get a headline out of it.”

Kris Boyd

"...Six months later you are away down the road trying to get a youth coach. No disrespect to Gerrard, but at this moment in time that's what he is. I don't think there is a clear direction or plan of where the club wants to go. It seems as if they are trying to grab everything to see if what you grab works rather than having a plan, a structure. "I still don't know what [director of football] Mark Allen is doing.
The club should have a structure in place. It should have a direction of where it wants to go and, at this moment in time, it doesn’t have that. But when I look at the whole thing…if Rangers said they were signing Jose Mourinho as a player there would be outrage. He’s a world-class manager. Gerrard is getting away with it because he’s a world-class player but he’s not been tested on the management side.”
Folk wonder why Boyd gets pilloried on here.

Anyone who knows Gerrard as a player as a captain as a leader..........Should have known the guy is amazing special and got something about his that most players only dream off.........No one with a football brain should ever have doubted him in my opinion i have been a fan of Gerrard since i can remember. And apart from his slip (heartbroken for him) He has ALWAYS delivered through the years as a Manager this will be no different he isn't mouthy he walks the walk actions not words with him. Get in round every single idiotic person who ever doubted him. Glorious Post :)

good ole Fartson - he never lets us down -

CELTIC hero John Hartson believes Steven Gerrard has no chance of guiding Rangers to the Premiership title next season.

"But Rangers' biggest worry is getting above Aberdeen, never mind Celtic.

"It is inconceivable to finish above Celtic in terms of where they are on and off the pitch.

"They have had over £50m from the Champions League experiences in the last two years, they have assets, they have money in the bank"

and state of the art Disco Lights ;-)

Kris Commons

“If I was Steven Gerrard looking at that squad, and baring in mind they have got five loan players to leave as well as players out of contract and guys who are currently on loan abroad to come back, I’d be thinking this is a £50million, £60million, £70million project. I’ve worked with Brendan Rodgers. If I’d been working in youth team-level football and then someone said to me, ‘Listen, I’ll give you £60million quid, go spend it, bring in whoever you want and then go up against the potential double-Treble winners and we expect you to win a trophy’, I don’t think I’d sleep much that night.

This is a guy who has been working with 16 and 17 year-old kids for eight months. I wouldn’t like to be in that position."

Kris Boyd

The club should have a structure in place. It should have a direction of where it wants to go and, at this moment in time, it doesn’t have that. But when I look at the whole thing…if Rangers said they were signing Jose Mourinho as a player there would be outrage. He’s a world-class manager. Gerrard is getting away with it because he’s a world-class player but he’s not been tested on the management side.

Clueless garbage. Stick that on the dressing room wall tomorrow.

On the main point, we’ve achieved nothing yet, so let’s not get ahead of ourselves. But the signs are hugely encouraging. And the placing of the filth on an untouchable pedestal was delusional. Let’s go.

It's looking good so far but we have a long way to go. It's the best time in years to be a blue nose.

I however like many was sceptical about appointing an untested manager as I felt we needed experience. Im more than happy to say that this far I've been proven wrong and he has been very shrewd in the transfer market as well.

Let's go!!!!

I can’t recall anyone in the Scottish media having a positive word to say about it at the time. Down south was a totally different story, with the likes of Lineker, Lampard, Neville, Klopp, Souness, Ian Wright, Shearer and countless others all voicing their support.

McCoist said it would be brilliant for Scottish Football when asked when the story broke on TV.

Tbh many of us thought the same things when Gerrard was being touted as manager, but with less forceful and gloating language. I was encouraged when Gerrard signed, I thought it meant substantial investment in the team was promised him. Never did I expect him to turn much of the team around with a paltry £4-5m net spend(I barely count Murphy as that was already a done deal)going into his first season!

Lets not kid ourselves, we were on the other side of this in the 90's, they were told they would never catch us, were years behind us, would have to spend millions to catch us, none of it was true then like none of its true now.

Correct.
But as the saying goes 'live and learn'

Someone posted the other day that they are now in a similar situation to us circa the Kaunas game.
The lesson of pinning your business model on CL money was there to be learned.
They clearly never learned it.

Kris Commons

“If I was Steven Gerrard looking at that squad, and baring in mind they have got five loan players to leave as well as players out of contract and guys who are currently on loan abroad to come back, I’d be thinking this is a £50million, £60million, £70million project. I’ve worked with Brendan Rodgers. If I’d been working in youth team-level football and then someone said to me, ‘Listen, I’ll give you £60million quid, go spend it, bring in whoever you want and then go up against the potential double-Treble winners and we expect you to win a trophy’, I don’t think I’d sleep much that night.

This is a guy who has been working with 16 and 17 year-old kids for eight months. I wouldn’t like to be in that position."
Don’t worry Kris you never will be in that position.

I thought I would look back at a few quotes from the Scottish media when Gerrard was appointed.

I am sure there are more but the ones I found make delicious reading. :)

Ewan Murray, Guardian:
"A needless punt for such a dysfunctional club"
"he has no chance of overhauling his former manager, Brendan Rodgers at Celtic – other than a perception of Rangers in completely embellished form? It is safe to assume Rodgers will take great delight in slapping down one of his former charges"

Sutton:
I think they need £20m, £30m. They need serious investment to compete with Celtic.

Speirs:
"I doubt, frankly, that Steven Gerrard will become the next Rangers manager. It just seems too reckless and risky to be true. The fact that Rangers are seriously considering him is alarming enough."

"Flawed and reckless appointment in my view by Rangers."

"I was at Celtic Park today. This guy is ruthless and all-conquering in Scotland. Rangers plan to put an untested under 18s coach up against him next season. The sheer idiocy of it. It is staggering."

Provan: amongst many comments:
"Stevie Gerrard? Is he having a laugh?"

"Meanwhile, on Merseyside, Steven Gerrard should be bright enough to read the signs. Rangers aren’t right for him — and he isn’t ready for Rangers"

Wonder what they say now?

Anyone remember any other main dissenters?
All it did and continues to do, is further confirm what a bunch of no-marks we have pontificating about our game in the Scottish media. Some are blinded by bitterness. Some are just clueless. Many are both. Their predecessors, most of whom were honest, fair and competent (Ian Archer apart) must be shaking their heads, or spinning in their graves, at how quickly and to what depths, the standard of sports journalism in Scotland has fallen.

The standard of journalism/punditry generally leaves a lot to be desired but in Scotland it has descended to a level all of its own. The only qualification required appears to be a hatred of Rangers and the knowledge that, up until now, you can say whatever you want about the club and get away with it. But I believe the times they are a changin’. Things are looking a lot better for us and a lot of people are going to look extremely stupid as the revival continues. It will be very satisfying to remind these cretins of their comments in the future.

Whilst it is too early to be gloating as we’ve not won anything yet it’s still brilliant that they were all wanting McInnes in, someone who hadn’t won against Celtic in how many years? And also the so called journalists hasn’t said a peep since . Brilliant!!

Kris Boyd

Ooft. Embarrassing from Boyd. He's managed to get everything wrong in 30 seconds there.

We’re a tad too early to laugh at them about this imo. Although the signs are extremely promising.
I disagree mate. While yes, its early days, we haven't won anything and havent suffered a loss of form and seen how the manager handles it.
What can't be denied is there has been a tremendous leap forward in players, formation, attitude, determination and ability.
We look like a team. Behind the scenes everyone is pulling in the one direction. If you ever get a chance theres a video of Stevie G at Melwood and the atmosphere there is exactly what he's putting in place at Rangers.

Our manager is instilling grit, determination, hunger and an enormous will to win, and both he, and his team are leading us in a manner befitting a top Champions League team.

Christ, even the narrativebeing churned out by the Mhedia is turning our way.

We should feel honured to have Gerrard as our manager, the same way he is honoured to be our manager.

All in - Let's Go !

Just let Steven Gerrard get on the job and he'll do the talking for him and us with this team on the park.

Fuuk the rest of the conceited reporting wankers.

We’re a tad too early to laugh at them about this imo. Although the signs are extremely promising.
We aren't too early. Regardless of where this all ends up, his appointment has generated a completely different squad mentality and a completely different fan mentality. He is the right choice for us just now, no other manager could have generated this feel good factor.
As David Edgar said, we were inches away from paying the sheep £1,000,000 for mcinnes and his soap dodger assistant. We had Tommy Wright quoted! Steve bloody clark quoted!

No we are not too early to laugh at their hate quotes.

Kris Boyd

But if Ferguson landed the role...you known it would be a different story

As much as I’m buzzing about the start and the signs are extremely promising. We have achieved nothing yet.

Kris Commons

That's why Commons is Commons and not Gerrard.

I can’t recall anyone in the Scottish media having a positive word to say about it at the time. Down south was a totally different story, with the likes of Lineker, Lampard, Neville, Klopp, Souness, Ian Wright, Shearer and countless others all voicing their support.
What, you mean real football men that know what they're talking about?

Should be keeping our powder dry but understand the optimism....Christ I was up early and out for a paper this morning to see what they were spewing about us. ...not done that for years.....things are finally looking up.

I was sceptical of gerrard however he has brought in a first class backroom team you can see he is adaptable to change tactics/personnel for games. We might not win the league this season but I believe we will win a cup and then next season with 2 more transfer windows under his belt I would think we would be in a great position.

Celtic will get to group stages as will Aberdeen. How did that work out guys?

Idiots one and all.

Back