Copa Libertadores 2018

Tonight's fixtures:

DnZ79qpXsAAUn9X.jpg:large

DnVojZkXoAIUVUG.jpg:large

Anyone watching the Boca documentary on Netflix ? I like it, better than the Juve one.

Seems to be a club that is far more involved with it's fans and surrounding areas.

Anyone watching the Boca documentary on Netflix ? I like it, better than the Juve one.

Seems to be a club that is far more involved with it's fans and surrounding areas.

Haven't seen it yet, but will be giving it a viewing. Actually, forgot it was available so thanks for the reminder.

Thought the sending off in last nights game was a bit harsh, he did stand on the Gremio players back but it didn't look intentional to me. Gremio never looked like losing anyway, after the first 10 minutes.

Pragmatic if not particularly convincing (again) from Boca but they've got the result. A lot of possession but struggled to create anything of significance. Two great goals, though, especially Zárate's opener.

Dede's sending off was very harsh. He'd had a great game clearing up most of which had gone into the Cruzeiro box - his absence attributed to the opportunity for Perez strike.

Andrada suffered a broken jaw and will be out for at least a month.

Pragmatic if not particularly convincing (again) from Boca but they've got the result. A lot of possession but struggled to create anything of significance. Two great goals, though, especially Zárate's opener.

Dede's sending off was very harsh. He'd had a great game clearing up most of which had gone into the Cruzeiro box - his absence attributed to the opportunity for Perez strike.

Andrada suffered a broken jaw and will be out for at least a month.

Thanks Brooklyn. With the timings I've not been able to catch any games, highlights aside.

Agree about the sending off.

The clearance by Barrios may end up being the difference between the teams. Brilliant piece of defending.

Thanks Brooklyn. With the timings I've not been able to catch any games, highlights aside.

Agree about the sending off.

The clearance by Barrios may end up being the difference between the teams. Brilliant piece of defending.

Barrios had a great game and is receiving a lot of the plaudits in the papers for his overall performance, not only the clearance. Olé giving him a 9, for example.

Schelotto also being praised for handling the game well. As you say, though, without the clearance we'd have a very different complexion on the tie.

It's odd. I'm watching Boca and thinking they're going to lose and could even end up getting hammered one of these games... yet, they're pulling out the wins. That's 4 in the last 4 games and all with a clean sheet.

Very curious to see how they set out on Sunday. I had last night's River game on in the background and, in the first half at least, they looked good going forward. I don't know if Schelotto can get away with setting up like he did last night against River.

Unsurprisingly Cruzeiro are set to appeal the red card. Their manager has started the anti-Brazilian narrative given this decision and what happened to Santos.

Guy a work with is from Uruguay and has a staunch Penarol tattoo. I didn't know but Uruguay won the Olympics twice before the world cup started in 1924 and 1928 and then they won the First World Cup in 1930 and then again in 1950. So really they have been the best team in the World on 4 occasions (3 in a row) and with a population smaller than Scotland this is an amazing achievement. Not even mentioned they are the all time Copa America Winners with 15 wins. They truly are the best wee nation at Football.

Guy a work with is from Uruguay and has a staunch Penarol tattoo. I didn't know but Uruguay won the Olympics twice before the world cup started in 1924 and 1928 and then they won the First World Cup in 1930 and then again in 1950. So really they have been the best team in the World on 4 occasions (3 in a row) and with a population smaller than Scotland this is an amazing achievement. Not even mentioned they are the all time Copa America Winners with 15 wins. They truly are the best wee nation at Football.

I posted this article about Uruguayan football prior to the World Cup. It's about the current crop of mids but also about the influence John Harley, a Scot, had on the game in Uruguay:

https://frombeautytoduty.com/2018/0...combination-a-uruguay-world-cup-2018-preview/

I've edited the recent posts on the last round of Libertadores matches so that the videos are now all available.

Edit: Let me know if highlights aren't available and I'll post new videos.

0-0 at half-time. River have been the better side but Independiente have looked dangerous when they've broken forward.

Biggest talking point is whether Pinola should have been red carded and a penalty awarded to Independiente. He cleared the ball but subsequently connected with the opponent, studs on the thigh.

It could have gone either way. I'd be screaming for it if Rangers were involved and dismissing it as nothing if it was our defender.

EDIT: What a start to the 2nd half, 1-o River. Independiente in the opposition box looking to shoot, River break forward... Scocco with a lovely finish.

Unfortunately it means no penalty-kicks. Independiente just need the one to go through on away goals. Interesting to see how River approach the next 43 minutes...

Ooft, 1-1. This is some start to the 2nd half as both teams have had chances between the goals.

Great work from Gigliotti and his shot is spilled by Armani. Romero follows up!

EDIT: 2-1 River, tidy finish from substitute Quintero. Independiente lose the ball in midfield and there's an unfortunate deflection into the path of Quintero. 20 minutes remain.

Last edited:
Not unexpected but nice to Colo Colo and Tucaman get to quarter finals...

What time is the derby this weekend? And what day?!

1-0 Cruzeiro moving into the last 20 minutes. Boca lead 2-1 on aggregate but struggling to create anything.

Both teams have had decent penalty shouts. I'll be biased and say Boca looked a good shout. Yet again, undone by a cross into the box. Boca failed to deal with a corner and they were punished in the 58th minute.

Dede is playing tonight for Cruzeiro. I presume his red card in the first leg was overturned. However, he nearly nailed Rossi with a challenge. Perhaps he wasn't as innocent as suspected in that first game.

EDIT: Dede sent off for a 2nd yellow! He contested a 50-50 drop ball, the ball broke free and Dede took down Pavon. A deserved card and what an idiot. Sent off in each of the two legs.

Last edited:
Yes! Pavon equalises in the 94th minute, blasting home after a nice chest assisted from Wanchope. Since going down to 10 men, Cruzeiro have created a couple of fine opportunities. They've now been punished for pushing for that 2nd goal.

Cruzeiro will be kicking themselves. It's not been a great Boca performance but they've got the draw.

The semi-finals for the Libertadores:

Boca v Palmeiras

River Plate v Gremio

The thought of a Superclasico final is mouthwatering.

A few words between the managers last night. At the end of the game, Cruzeiro coach Menezes was seen shouting to the opposition coaching staff:

"Are you going to celebrate the victory? Are not you ashamed?"

Apparently upset at the manner of how Boca set out, he also had a dig at the referee - "But things were not normal. You know they were not normal."

These Brazilians seem rather sore losers.

Schelotto in the post-game press conference said: "The Boca coach knew how to win the game, the coach of Cruzeiro did not know how to win either game." :D

Flamengo team that won the 1981 Libertadores:

Leandro, Raul, Mozer, Claudio, Figueiredo, Andrade, Junior, Lico, Adilio, Nunes, Zico and Tita:

DpV1-APWkAEO4iB.jpg:large

I have made a complaint to the BBC for their blanking of the Copa Libertadores in the fixtures and match reports. Considering Tim Vickery's excellent reporting as Aunty's man in South America, the lack of info is curious to say the least.

Last edited:
I have made a complaint to the BBC for their blanking of the Copa Libertadores in the fixtures and match reports. Considering Tim Vickery's excellent reporting as Aunty's man in South America, they're lack of reporting is curious to say the least.

Keep us updated of any response.

Back