Current Ibrox Stadium Problems and Future Redevelopments

That’s something I’ve noticed about the Emirates and Spurs’ new stadium, how little parking space there must be around them.
I don't know about the Emirates, but Spurs new stadium has a bit of parking underneath but not for general admission. It's for disabled fans, staff etc. Parking on site is pretty much essential for disabled access and no one will argue with it, but you are unlikely to see stadiums built with American style parking over here.

The problem with building parking spaces is you run into the principle of induced demand. You think you solve your traffic problems by building more car parks, or add an extra lane to the motorway. All you actually achieve is increasing the amount of cars in the area, increase the amount of traffic and create an even bigger bottleneck further down the system.

Which is another reason I can't ever see a large parking development near Ibrox. As much as we would all love to jump into our car and park right next to the stadium and stroll to our seats, so would 50,000 other people. The football traffic is bad enough without adding potentially thousands more cars onto a road network that can't deal with it.

There's absolutely no chance you are going to get planning permission for a large car park in this day and age.

The way things are going and the way planning regulations are setup, we would be far better off looking for better public and active transport link.

A train station near the stadium is probably the biggest transportation development that is remotely possible.

The subway getting expanded would also be beneficial (gives more people immediate access to the network).

I've always though the club are missing a trick not putting official buses out to certain areas on march days as well, especially since one of our owners also owns a bus company.

What is the train situation near Ibrox? Is it a commuter rail line?

What is the train situation near Ibrox? Is it a commuter rail line?
It was originally a passenger line yes, I'm not sure is the line is used today.

I believe the subway use it for something but I'm not 100%.
The Ayrshire and lines to Gourock all run past the Esso garage at the M8 side of the Albion car park. Used to be a station there but it would take £500k plus to reinstate it.
There are also old branch lines which run around the far side of the Albion and under the bridge at the Wee Rangers Club and on into Govan. The subway were going to use them for testing new trains but that’s apparently been done away with.

The Ayrshire and lines to Gourock all run past the Esso garage at the M8 side of the Albion car park. Used to be a station there but it would take £500k plus to reinstate it.
There are also old branch lines which run around the far side of the Albion and under the bridge at the Wee Rangers Club and on into Govan. The subway were going to use them for testing new trains but that’s apparently been done away with.

New subway test track runs from the Broomloan depot to the Broomloan Road Esso garage

The most recent station built in Scotland (Robroyston) cost £14m.

There would also be a significant challenge on the signalling side. The Paisley corridor was resignalled relatively recently, designed on high train frequency on all lines. Given how close it is to Glasgow Central, a minute or two makes a huge difference so far from simple on that front to add another stop.

Getting the station reopened was discussed quite a bit back in 2018 and they seemed to think it would be a fairly simple project but it hasn't been discussed since. Its not even on the list of potential developments now from transport Scotland so can't see it happening.

Its a real shame as there was a cracking view of the main stand from that line and it would have been a great stop for fans and also tourists going from the airport to central from Paisley. It would have been good if we could have got all the land at the time and created a walkway between the potential new station and the stadium but now its all getting filled in with flats.

Good post.
A lot of capital needed to fund everything listed, and no one needs reminding of what's gone on over the last 10 years.
However, I'd have thought sorting out the smaller issues wouldn't have been too difficult or costly.
Not having a go at anyone, just my observation.

There's absolutely no chance you are going to get planning permission for a large car park in this day and age.

The way things are going and the way planning regulations are setup, we would be far better off looking for better public and active transport link.

A train station near the stadium is probably the biggest transportation development that is remotely possible.

The subway getting expanded would also be beneficial (gives more people immediate access to the network).

I've always though the club are missing a trick not putting official buses out to certain areas on march days as well, especially since one of our owners also owns a bus company.
Rangers asked GCC for use of land. They asked The Wheatley group to use the spare ground at Brighton Place and they said no. It's getting built on in 10 years time.

If we were to do that we'd lose out on some season tickets in other areas of the ground though. There are areas where the views are so bad, especially at the end of the West and East Enclosures, that they rely on the screens at times.
I’m all for additional seating to increase capacity but digging down is not the answer, sitting in the front rows at Ibrox is one of the worst views at a match you can get.

If we did go any deeper into the water table we would need to provide season ticket holders with scuba diving gear for the front rows. I just can’t see it happening.

I'd rather the club spent a few years getting the finances in place to add an extra tier on top of the Broomloan and Copland than a quick fix with a small increase.

Getting the station reopened was discussed quite a bit back in 2018 and they seemed to think it would be a fairly simple project but it hasn't been discussed since. Its not even on the list of potential developments now from transport Scotland so can't see it happening.

Its a real shame as there was a cracking view of the main stand from that line and it would have been a great stop for fans and also tourists going from the airport to central from Paisley. It would have been good if we could have got all the land at the time and created a walkway between the potential new station and the stadium but now its all getting filled in with flats.

I am very surprised that Ibrox doesn't have direct train access.

Train station

TNP_200418_station_02JPG.jpg

p3840623776-3.jpg

I think it would take away some Road traffic away from Ibrox on Match Day and give the Subway Loyal a decision on where to go to at 75 Mins. Not sure how much it would be used on a Non Match day to make it worth while.

The most recent station built in Scotland (Robroyston) cost £14m.

There would also be a significant challenge on the signalling side. The Paisley corridor was resignalled relatively recently, designed on high train frequency on all lines. Given how close it is to Glasgow Central, a minute or two makes a huge difference so far from simple on that front to add another stop.
What is the signalling system there? Presumably TCB, so it would be a lot of work and cost. Design alone would cost a fortune.

Liverpool do this. Buses sit outside the ground and ferry fans into the city centre.

I don't know about the Emirates, but Spurs new stadium has a bit of parking underneath but not for general admission. It's for disabled fans, staff etc. Parking on site is pretty much essential for disabled access and no one will argue with it, but you are unlikely to see stadiums built with American style parking over here.

The problem with building parking spaces is you run into the principle of induced demand. You think you solve your traffic problems by building more car parks, or add an extra lane to the motorway. All you actually achieve is increasing the amount of cars in the area, increase the amount of traffic and create an even bigger bottleneck further down the system.

Which is another reason I can't ever see a large parking development near Ibrox. As much as we would all love to jump into our car and park right next to the stadium and stroll to our seats, so would 50,000 other people. The football traffic is bad enough without adding potentially thousands more cars onto a road network that can't deal with it.
Do you seriously think 50000 fans would use cars to get to the game?

I've always though the club are missing a trick not putting official buses out to certain areas on march days as well, especially since one of our owners also owns a bus company
You could always hire buses and run them yourself if you think it would be that successful
Make yourself a few quid

Train station

TNP_200418_station_02JPG.jpg

p3840623776-3.jpg

I think it would take away some Road traffic away from Ibrox on Match Day and give the Subway Loyal a decision on where to go to at 75 Mins. Not sure how much it would be used on a Non Match day to make it worth while.

Oh so the area around Ibrox is not busy all the time? Just on game day?

Who’s paying for it? Pretty obvious really
All railway infrastructure is ultimately subsidised and funded by tax so at the moment with the current Scottish government its unlikely to be picked for redevelopment. I would like to think it might get done in the future though if we ever see a change back to Labour in Holyrood, there is a commitment to increasing smaller railway stations and Ibrox station would get passenger numbers due to the football and sits on a line with similar sized stations.

The same as who pays for all other new stations in Scotland.

Are we to just accept we will never have money spent around Ibrox and the surrounds again?
You’re in cloud cuckoo land if you think it’s a possibility. They can’t even fix potholes on the roads.

a rail link to the airport is additionally far more needed that an Ibrox station.

You’re in cloud cuckoo land if you think it’s a possibility. They can’t even fix potholes on the roads.

a rail link to the airport is additionally far more needed that an Ibrox station.
Whether or not it happens depends on many things including lobbying and glad handing the council. Clearly in recent times thas hasn’t been a real option but things can and will change and when they do we need to continue to aim to get what we can regarding improvements around the stadium.

If the police managed the access/egress that would work.

If not, if on the top floor, you’d be as well sleeping in your car until the next game.
Very easily remedied, a new roundabout halfway up Broomloan Road between the existing roundabout and PRW
Traffic from BR would go up and on to M8 East / M74 / M77
Exit onto Edmiston Drive, traffic would go up to the roundabout, turn left and go on to M8 West.
Would take about 20 / 25 minutes to clear with 3 traffic cops.
As I said, easily done

Very easily remedied, a new roundabout halfway up Broomloan Road between the existing roundabout and PRW
Exit onto Edmiston Drive, traffic would go up to the roundabout, turn left and go on to M8 West.
As I said, easily done

You could bash that out on a weekend. :)

As I said, easily done
Good idea and open the old railway station

Back