Current Ibrox Stadium Problems and Future Redevelopments

Why can't people go 90 mins without a trip to the bog? If you can't last out 90 mins stay home or buy a nappy. Nothing worse than getting up for a big worshipper to rub his way past you on his way there and back to do his business. Probably a member of subway loyal too who can't wait to get home to his own bog and his roll of Scott Brown bog paper.
That’s dead on for some , takes us about 6 hours getting to Ibrox , couple of pints on the boat and cple pints in the wee Rangers / louden etc , , hard not to use the toilets ! Unless everybody shouldn’t take a cple pints !

As reported in this morning's Annual Report - A statue of legendary Rangers Manager Walter Smith is to be placed at the Copland Road end of the stadium.

https://www.rangers.co.uk/article/walter-smith-statue-to-be-commissioned/emmU2pOGFoVc4nC4IAm8Y

"The biggest project though is in the Blue Sky Lounge, where work started in June and is expected to open before the end of
the year. This state-of-the-art multi-purpose lounge will boast panoramic views of Ibrox. It has allowed the Club to add three
additional rows of seats at the back of the Sandy Jardine Stand, which will add 352 premium and 117 general access seats, as
well as providing a world-class hospitality offering, and a new permanent location for our Restaurant.

2021/22 saw us install a new hybrid pitch and undersoil heating system at Ibrox, and I am sure you will all agree we now have by
far the best playing surface in the country.

We have been very open in the past about the need to significantly improve our disabled facilities. We will be delighted to present a plan of action, to ensure we deliver the standard of facilities deserved by Rangers supporters, at our upcoming AGM.

Since the year end, the Rangers Charity Foundation has established a lease with Glasgow City Council to operate the Ibrox Community Complex, which sits opposite the Stadium on Edmiston Drive. Over the coming years, the development of this facility will be a further important connection between the Foundation, the Club and its local people.

Recent improvements include the installation of solar panels on New Edmiston House, a rain-collection and irrigation system, and replacing gas boilers with inverter-driven heat pumps.

Forecasted capital expenditure necessary to maintain and improve the stadium, training facility and 'general Ibrox vicinity'
including the development of New Edmiston House.

£10.6m has been invested in the Stadium, Training Ground and New Edmiston House over the past two year period."

https://www.rangers.co.uk/article/a...and-notice-of-2022-agm/5pFf0OZcq2CLkEe1rbgHyp

Last edited:
just need to lower the pitch and then take out the screens and we will be touching 60k

If Rangers managed to lower the pitch down I'm sure the figure quoted was an extra 6,000 more seats by adding in 3 more rows to each stand, which would take the capacity up to 58,000.

Taking things step by step so build from the top of the stadium down to the bottom so hopefully in time the pitch does get lowered even further and more seats can be added.

just need to lower the pitch and then take out the screens and we will be touching 60k
Would the new sections in BR and CR not be affected if the structure behind the screens were removed?

Also, I don’t foresee the new sections being built in the foreseeable anyway. Even 1 extra row would be ideal to take us up to 54000 eventually

If Rangers managed to lower the pitch down I'm sure the figure quoted was an extra 6,000 more seats by adding in 3 more rows to each stand, which would take the capacity up to 58,000.

Taking things step by step so build from the top of the stadium down to the bottom so hopefully in time the pitch does get lowered even further and more seats can be added.
Is there much space left to lower the pitch?

I think Stewart Robertson said that timescale was a problem in doing this and it could not be done in a close season . It would be good if this could be managed but I don't expect it will happen.

I think Stewart Robertson said that timescale was a problem in doing this and it could not be done in a close season . It would be good if this could be managed but I don't expect it will happen.
How come we managed to do it 20 odd years ago during one close season?

I’d my seat in the govan front at the time. Literally left my seat last game of the season and by the next season starting it was all complete

I’d my seat in the govan front at the time. Literally left my seat last game of the season and by the next season starting it was all complete
I think its probably to do with the issues with the water table/ground water when having to go down further than we did the last time.

I don't know, I just remember him saying that the time scale caused problems. It was just a passing comment after the last 1872 contributors meeting . Rangers held a meeting after where we were invited to attend and he mentioned it there.

I don't know, I just remember him saying that the time scale caused problems. It was just a passing comment after the last 1872 contributors meeting . Rangers held a meeting after where we were invited to attend and he mentioned it there.
Out of interest when was that meeting mate?

We aren’t “digging down” so that won’t be an issue.
Do you mean short term or do you mean ever mate?

Why not?

Both john bennett and stewart robertson have spoke in the past 1-2 years of some fairly significant stadium expansion which was assumed to be in the 5000 region.

What has changed?

Do you mean short term or do you mean ever mate?

Why not?

Both john bennett and stewart robertson have spoke in the past 1-2 years of some fairly significant stadium expansion which was assumed to be in the 5000 region.

What has changed?

The work that is happening (isn’t this what this thread is about?) doesn’t involve lowering the stands.

The work that is happening (isn’t this what this thread is about?) doesn’t involve lowering the stands.
I thought you were saying that we wont be digging down even in the future when apparently that still appears to be the slightly longer term target for a reasonable size expansion.

Picked ye up wrong fella.

Is there much space left to lower the pitch?

As far as I'm aware from interviews with Stewart Robertson it can be done and lowered down even further to accomodate another three rows for each stand. But it wouldn't have got done this season with the new hybrid pitch getting put in. Build that then ripping it back out again after a season wouldn't make any sense.

I would also suspect Rangers would need to move to Hampden for a brief period of time in order to complete the project as it will be a huge job.

As much as we want the screens taken out and replaced with seats, I honestly don't know if that can be done. It makes sense to, but could see that being astronomical amounts to do. Even extending the Main Stand to the Broomloan or Copland would be astronomical as well. Likewise adding a third tier to each of the other stands which would look incredible.

Safe standing with a ratio greater than 1 to 1 is by far the cheapest and easiest way to increase capacity. I know this isnt permitted in the UK at present, though it is in europe. Things change. Five years ago safe standing wasnt permitted.

Safe standing with a ratio greater than 1 to 1 is by far the cheapest and easiest way to increase capacity. I know this isnt permitted in the UK at present, though it is in europe. Things change. Five years ago safe standing wasnt permitted.
Won’t ever happen in the UK on safety grounds. Getting safe standing was a big enough challenge

As far as I'm aware from interviews with Stewart Robertson it can be done and lowered down even further to accomodate another three rows for each stand. But it wouldn't have got done this season with the new hybrid pitch getting put in. Build that then ripping it back out again after a season wouldn't make any sense.

I would also suspect Rangers would need to move to Hampden for a brief period of time in order to complete the project as it will be a huge job.

As much as we want the screens taken out and replaced with seats, I honestly don't know if that can be done. It makes sense to, but could see that being astronomical amounts to do. Even extending the Main Stand to the Broomloan or Copland would be astronomical as well. Likewise adding a third tier to each of the other stands which would look incredible.
If the proposed expansion in BR and CR happens, coupled with even 2 extra rows in the front sections by digging down I think that would be more than enough

A 55000 seater stadium would be ideal. Obviously 3 extra rows would be the preference but I don’t see the need to remove the screens given the cost

I’m a bit too young to remember but what was the reason the corners weren’t double tiered?

It can be done but the roofs of all three new stands and the corners would almost certainly need to come off. The majority of the work in building new roof supports outside the stadium footprint could be done before the roofs needed to be removed though. I’ve always wondered if it was feasible to replace the support structures for the three roofs whilst leaving the roofs in place.

If the proposed expansion in BR and CR happens, coupled with even 2 extra rows in the front sections by digging down I think that would be more than enough

A 55000 seater stadium would be ideal. Obviously 3 extra rows would be the preference but I don’t see the need to remove the screens given the cost

I’m a bit too young to remember but what was the reason the corners weren’t double tiered?

David Murray changed his mind from this to to the cheaper option of some corner seats and screens.
Tbf he thought there would be a market for beam backs to Ibrox for big European games and the like .

Roof support structures i.e. the dark coloured boxes running the entire length on top of the roofs of the three new stands

It can be done but the roofs of all three new stands and the corners would almost certainly need to come off. The majority of the work in building new roof supports outside the stadium footprint could be done before the roofs needed to be removed though. I’ve always wondered if it was feasible to replace the support structures for the three roofs whilst leaving the roofs in place.

I think its been done at other stadiums. New supports are built outside the current footprint. These use a cantilever system to support new roofs. These can be built higher to accommodate more rows at the back of each stand and the corners can be filled in. It aint cheap.

Would the new sections in BR and CR not be affected if the structure behind the screens were removed?

Also, I don’t foresee the new sections being built in the foreseeable anyway. Even 1 extra row would be ideal to take us up to 54000 eventually

Nothing will be done re the corners in the forseeable future at least as it isn't currently viable, it was looked at re wheelchair spaces.

The screens can be moved to the Broomloan and Copland roofs above the goals without blocking anyone's view from the rear of either stand.

I think you need a 2 step terrace as opposed to the current 1 step set up for that going by the German set up.

It would require a complete redesign of the rows. Essentially you need the rows to be double stepped for it to work

Couldn’t happen in Ibrox with the current design
The amount of work required, architects, engineers, materials and material for a negligible amount of seats means the 2 corners at the main stand will stay the same way forever, unless we come into serious money.

Unfortunately, one of the pitfalls of being the first to properly redevelop our stadium meant we were 10-15 years early in terms of building techniques, cantilevered roofs with external supports and joined up stands. It was still fashionable and more practical from a policing standpoint to have 4 separate stands with the hooliganism landscape of the 1980s.

I think you need a 2 step terrace as opposed to the current 1 step set up for that going by the German set up.

Oh well that's that then. I guess we're destined to have a shit atmosphere for ever more. Looks like the majority dont care anyway. At least we've got the Louden for a sing song.

Nothing will be done re the corners in the forseeable future at least as it isn't currently viable, it was looked at re wheelchair spaces.

The screens can be moved to the Broomloan and Copland roofs above the goals without blocking anyone's view from the rear of either stand.
I think if they went to the fans with a blue heaven type scheme coupled with stadium sponsorship we could do the corners, somebody said it would cost circa 45 million to do it

Back