Dave King cranks up Rangers board beef by revealing he opposed Graeme Park over 'moral obligation'

Do you not think if Dave was "desperate for his money" he could find a buyer for part or all of his shareholding?

This without a doubt, Dave King is not desperate for 13m.

However it’s getting to a point were him and the current board don’t get on he might just do that - sell them to anybody that would buy them in a heart beat.

Dave King has fired another shot in his simmering civil war with the Rangers board after insisting he had a “moral obligation” to vote against Graeme Park’s re-election as a director.

The former chairman has also launched an attack on the “shameful and disloyal” treatment of Club 1872 as he accused his one-time Ibrox allies of marginalising the fan group.

King raised eyebrows when it emerged he had used his 15.45 percent stake in the club to vote against Park - son of current chairman Douglas Park - ahead of last week’s AGM.

His vote was not enough to oust Park Jnr from the Ibrox boardroom, with the 37-year-old businessman keeping his blazer after receiving the backing of 81.1 percent of shareholders.

But King says he has an obligation to the Rangers support and the club’s shareholders to vote against a man who had first been appointed a director while he was chairman back in August 2015.

He told Record Sport : “I have a fiduciary duty to vote my shares in what I consider to be in the best interest of myself and my fellow shareholders.

“I also believe that I have a continuing moral obligation to consider the interest of supporters at all times.

“I have voted in accordance with the knowledge that I have.”

King - who holds more than 65 million shares in Rangers International Football Club plc - also used his stake to vote against a motion which would allow the current board to issue further new shares to hand-picked investors.

It carried regardless of the former chairman’s opposition ballot and now raises the prospect of Kings’ holding being watered down in future.

But King - who has struck a deal to sell his shares back to Club 1872 - insisted: “I am completely at ease with dilution as long as it is done at the right value and is necessary to continue improvement at the club.”

King no longer holds sway at Ibrox but his fall-out with the current board will concern fans who remain thankful for their combined efforts to return Rangers to the top of Scottish football.

It was with Park Snr’s help that the Castlemilk-born millionaire was able to wrestle the club away from Mike Ashley’s clutches in 2015.

Together with other investors like the Three Bears, they set down the foundations which led last season to the title triumph the Gers faithful had waited a decade for.

But relations have broken down since King abdicated his Ibrox throne in March 2020 in order to focus on his South African business interests.

Last month, he slammed “incorrect” information in Gers’ annual accounts after it was revealed he had made £832,000 in interest repayments from a £5million loan he’d given the club.

Now he has taken another swing at the board over the treatment of Club 1872.

Last year, the Johannesburg-based businessman lined-up a controversial £13million deal which would have seen him recoup much of his investment by selling his shares to the fan group.

However, with many supporters uncomfortable about shelling out cash to King instead of the club, Gers announced their own supporter share issue which eventually filled the Ibrox coffers with £4.5m in fresh investment.

King is still hopeful Club 1872 can raise the sums needed to buy out his stake after the group announced a shake-up on the back of member complaints over its leadership.

“I hope so, all present signs are that greater supporter influence is becoming increasingly important.

“But I am concerned about the disconnect between Rangers and Club 1872.

“Club 1872 represents thousands of supporters who rallied behind the club in its time of need.

“To see them marginalised by the club and their officers unfairly subjected to a coordinated attack was shameful and disloyal.

“It is most certainly not consistent with the values that I spent so much time reintroducing at the Club following regime change.”

Leaking stories to The Daily Record is fine now I see...

Something stinks here.

King using the record who literally attacked Rangers fans (h&h plus the numerous lies over the years) to defend Club 1872 who have an ongoing campaign of “Change the record”.

This will have been set up with 1872 so massive hypocrisy.

1872 need to start representing the fans. Their question (only one) at the AGM wasn’t one for the wider Rangers fanbase

Northampton loyalist has posted many times on why that is nonsense and makes no sense. Giving up a substantial shareholding to a membership scheme that requires votes gives you less influence
I'll look for that as it would be a compelling case. - if you do have a link to that I'd be most obliged.
I've already stated points where it does make sense.
Financial recompense - We all know he wants out as his behaviour makes that obvious.
His doubling down of C1872 - we can see it's a busted flush needing major surgery before any further progress could be made so why can't he?
His tentative comments regarding his future relationship with C1872 once the purchase has been made - No denial he'd take the reigns (pun intended) where asked.

I'll go and try to find the NL post you speak of

I honestly think King would prefer to sell up to C1872, he wants the fans to have better representation. As he said no one, not even the investors, put in as much as us fans do as a collective. I think he is of the opinion that the board are using people with influence, within this forum and elsewhere to run c1872 down and ensuring that doesn't happen. I can see how he got to that opinion tbh.
Separating the issue being discussed and Club 1872 here.

Club 1872 do a good enough job of running itself down with the shambolic and secretive way the organisation is run.

Why anyone involved would think the support would buy into, both emotionally and financially, an organisation that has zero transparency to its members is beyond me considering what the support endured with Murray and The Spivs running the club itself.

They have also made a total c.unt of themselves here with King batting for them using the record.

This without a doubt, Dave King is not desperate for 13m.

However it’s getting to a point were him and the current board don’t get on he might just do that - sell them to anybody that would buy them in a heart beat.
He’s desperate to be relevant though LL. Ironically had he stood down when he did and conducted himself better since his relevance would never have been doubted or understated.

You know that Dave will be keeping Chris Graham abreast of everything he up to and that Chris Graham is Club1872, don’t you?
Someone like King will always go to a paper like the record or the sun unfortunately. He's not going to send it out via tweet or Facebook is he?

I'm not suggesting this whole situation is ideal at all. Would much rather it wasnt being played out like this by everyone.

He’s desperate to be relevant though LL. Ironically had he stood down when he did and conducted himself better since his relevance would never have been doubted or understated.

The sad thing is Dave King in the eyes of the Rangers support at this current time will be eternally relevant and never forgotten and rightly so why start doing something to tarnish this?

I just don’t believe this is down to a disagreement with current board members, maybe I could be totally wrong there as I don’t know but if it is I’d be disappointed in Dave King if so.

He’s put so much time and money into Rangers I don’t believe that’s it is down to wanting or needing the 13m for his shares not a chance.

I can’t believe he is that stubborn and out of touch that the club1872 thing will still even happen it’ll never happen, unless he finds investors to shoe horn into the shadows of that and purchase them from him.

Someone like King will always go to a paper like the record or the sun unfortunately. He's not going to send it out via tweet or Facebook is he?
That’s not the point that was under discussion though, is it? The point was you disputing that - to put it crudely - Dave King & Club1872 are 2 cheeks of the same arse.

As for your new point. He didn’t go to ‘a paper like’ the Record. He went directly to said Record, an arse rag that hates and attacks us (including Dave) at every opportunity.

In my opinion, it’s borderline schizophrenic behaviour.

That’s not the point that was under discussion though, is it? The point was you disputing that - to put it crudely - Dave King & Club1872 are 2 cheeks of the same arse.

As for your new point. He didn’t go to ‘a paper like’ the Record. He went directly to said Record, an arse rag that hates and attacks us (including Dave) at every opportunity.

In my opinion, it’s borderline schizophrenic behaviour.
To answer your first point then I don't think it's fair to run them down on assumptions, however strongly you hold them. No.

When King was coming in he had 2 people who contacted the media didn’t he?

Jim Traynor and Chris Graham.

We assuming either of them didn’t know about the record thing? Or did they not care?

I honestly think King would prefer to sell up to C1872, he wants the fans to have better representation. As he said no one, not even the investors, put in as much as us fans do as a collective. I think he is of the opinion that the board are using people with influence, within this forum (see post #204 ;)) and elsewhere to run c1872 down and ensuring that doesn't happen. I can see how he got to that opinion tbh.

King wants C1872 to buy his shares, as they are his clapping monkeys. After all he did hand picked them, he hand pick Chris Graham to be his 2nd hand man and placeholder within the group.

Also it would be rich of King to go on about the board using people, cause that would one of his own tactics. Using other people to be the face and voice of message while he hides in the dark for example Craig Houston and Chris Graham.

You claim he wants us to have a say but whenever I’ve question C1872 if we as members, contributors and shareholders the contract they want us to pay for, if King has any clauses over power and voting rights within the group and they hide behind it would be a breach of contract.

I'm not suggesting this whole situation is ideal at all. Would much rather it wasnt being played out like this by everyone.

He could use other platforms, he has many companies and used them to buy into Rangers. Why not release a statement publicly through them or just personally and then the rags pick it up rather than going straight to the enemy?

His tactics here stink!

There are investors who want his shares but he won’t sell them to them .
That’s not true. No current investor is willing to put their money anywhere other than The Club with the exception of Club1872. They care to much about Rangers to do that.

When King was coming in he had 2 people who contacted the media didn’t he?

Jim Traynor and Chris Graham.

We assuming either of them didn’t know about the record thing? Or did they not care?
In fairness to both, mainly Jim Traynor, Dave isn’t great at taking advice.

King wants C1872 to buy his shares, as they are his clapping monkeys. After all he did hand picked them, he hand pick Chris Graham to be his 2nd hand man and placeholder within the group.

Also it would be rich of King to go on about the board using people, cause that would one of his own tactics. Using other people to be the face and voice of message while he hides in the dark for example Craig Houston and Chris Graham.

You claim he wants us to have a say but whenever I’ve question C1872 if we as members, contributors and shareholders the contract they want us to pay for, if King has any clauses over power and voting rights within the group and they hide behind it would be a breach of contract.
Your last paragraph is really interesting, like you would like more clarity on it.

Don't ever forget what he did for this club. Some fans have embarrassingly short memories.

I haven't, and I happen to have a rather long memory. Some fans can't see what's happening right under their noses though, and that's embarrassing.

I've no issue with King challenging the board, he's a smart guy and has Rangers at heart.

Concerned this is playing out in the tabloids right enough.
This is where i am at.

I have not got a problem with King questioning aspects of the board and/or the personnel on it. I think it is good that any issues are highlighted. I want them to come under scrutiny.

NO Rangers board should ever escape questioning.

But, yes, the tabloid stuff we could do without.

I'd rather Dave King didn't run with this story to the Record but quite simply Club 1872 will go nowhere and the time will come where he sells his shares either to a current investor or on the open market and when that comes I'll have nothing but gratitude for all that he has done.

If any man deserves leeway for a few mistakes or a bad exit plan, I'm pretty sure it's Dave King.

Your last paragraph is really interesting, like you would like more clarity on it.

What do you want clarity on?

I asked to know what I was paying for before I would pay for it.

Which is once the shares are sold does King have any clauses in there that provide him voting rights or a place on the board within C1872. If he does then what’s the point in selling to us and also what power does he hold compared to us normal members if he were to have these rights?

They will not answer it or any questions it’s seems and it is really simple yes he does or no he doesn’t and what rights he holds. I can’t see how it would breach the organisation’s contract.

I still think c1872 is the right vehicle to buy King's shares, but i think the current management of C1872 are toxic and the organisation won't grow as we need it to with them in charge.

Agree with you completely.

Having a vehicle like Club 1872 that is properly run and fit for purposes and owns 25+1% of shares is absolutely vital for me. I absolutely back Robert Marshall in his efforts, as club 1872 can be worthwhile.

Yeah it's easy to sit on a forum and just say it will never work etc. but all of us know what happened in 2012, and having fan ownership can prevent a repeat from ever happening again.

This is where i am at.

I have not got a problem with King questioning aspects of the board and/or the personnel on it. I think it is good that any issues are highlighted. I want them to come under scrutiny.

NO Rangers board should ever escape questioning.

But, yes, the tabloid stuff we could do without.
Yes I agree with what is being said here.

After the Murray era, no chairman or director should be above criticism and / or questioning.

If DK has something on Park Jr, he should come out and say it , rather than speak in riddles.

Infact he should have done it before the AGM.

He should also use another platform rather than the Daily Record.

Yes I agree with what is being said here.

After the Murray era, no chairman or director should be above criticism and / or questioning.

If DK has something on Park Jr, he should come out and say it , rather than speak in riddles.

Infact he should have done it before the AGM.

He should also use another platform rather than the Daily Record.
He’s hardly slow at shouting out when he has an issue which leads to me to believe he has nothing to substantiate his words.

I haven't, and I happen to have a rather long memory. Some fans can't see what's happening right under their noses though, and that's embarrassing.
Care to elaborate what I can't apparently see happening under my nose?

And don't forget to make it factual with backed up sources. None of that conjecture or personal opinion please.

I posted further up. Go look.
Looks rather opinionated to me.

The only issue I have is with King going to the DR with this story.

I despise the lack of loyalty we show towards our own, the second things go against what we'd like.

King is a very smart man so he must know that C1872 had very little chance of raising the £13 million needed to buy his shares. Now, after a couple of years and with legacy donations continuing to dwindle, they have even less chance.

I simply do not believe that he had any expectation of selling his shares to C1872 so there is clearly some other plan by King.

In my opinion, he is in effective control of C1872 and their 4.9% of Rangers. I think that at least one of the people on the C1872 board is close to him and his opinion of certain other members is low. He described one of them as "too emotional".

The rift between C1872 and Rangers is entirely the fault of C1872. Put simply, and again in my opinion, Rangers believe that they cannot be trusted and that they are serving interests other that Rangers.

While I'm at it, I heard that C1872 had received several signed '55 shirts' for their members. Anyone know what has happened to them?

Agree with this. King is shrewd and will have known the outset the chances of C1872 purchasing his shares were very remote.

He’ll move to ‘Plan B’ for his shares once the window for C1872 to purchase his shareholding officially closes.

Stuart Gibson will be an interesting one to watch. He’s currently the third largest shareholder at 9.45%.

As the club have intimated, Rangers will issue more shares for individual purchase over the next few years and Stuart Gibson (or possibly D Park) will become the largest shareholder at that point in my view.

This effectively allows an existing shareholder with the funds to become the ‘main man’ without having to buy Kings shares. That probably pisses King off.

Back