Dessers is (a lot) worse than Lammers

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really don't want to see a guy that thinks it's laugh worthy funny to miss a sitter in a crucial league match in a Rangers shirt again.

His inability to put away the easiest of chances could well have cost us the title this year. Im not interested in him winning the 'nice guy of the year trophy'. Sooner he's out the door the better.

I like Danilo but the fact is we've paid £6m for a guy who couldn't get off the bench for the two biggest teams in the Eredivisie and who has had one year of regular starts in top flight football since 2018.
The guy he was in front of igor paixao has scored a few in Europe and in the league and doing well.

I don’t think it’s fair to judge him, his goals against hearts and st Johnstone kinda gives me hope

Danilo was way off it before his injury. Lively but erratic. Miles better than Dessers who was in turn miles better than Lammers.

Not a single one of them was worth the money we paid for them though.

I'd say Dessers is the only one who's had long enough to really show what he's about. Unfortunately, we've all seen it. The odd purple patch where they go in off his arse and pish otherwise.

Lammers was like a rabbit in headlights playing for us so was a non starter really. In my opinion, Danilo had the most about him to be the best and most consistent of the three. Yes we could be erratic but he could show finesse and composure that Dessers simply can't.

The guy he was in front of igor paixao has scored a few in Europe and in the league and doing well.

I don’t think it’s fair to judge him, his goals against hearts and st Johnstone kinda gives me hope

They had two forwards ahead of him. Paixao was £3.8m

The other guy, Gimenez, also in front of him cost £4m and has scored 47 goals in less than two seasons.

I don't think Danilo is a bad player I just think we've massively overpaid for him.

Both Dessers and Lammers are nowhere near good enough to play for Rangers. Dessers has scored goals but he has missed plenty and his overall play adds nothing.

Dessers is just not tuned into the game .
Too many decent chances ballooned over the bar or hitting the goalkeeper when a simple pass into the net was all that was needed.
In general build up play he’s incapable of a simple pass and move without us losing the ball. Rather he’s mostly wrestling with a lumberjack defender instead of coming off him getting a pass to his feet and keeping team pocession. Danilo was bringing that to the team and although he’s not the answer we looked a far better before he was injured.

No real point in going on about it but in my opinion for whatever reasons us not signing a genuine #9 has cost us the league.

Danilo was way off it before his injury. Lively but erratic. Miles better than Dessers who was in turn miles better than Lammers.

Not a single one of them was worth the money we paid for them though.

Danilo baffled me.

He came with a reputation as a dead-eyed finisher yet looked erratic in that department, to say the least. Who knows, maybe it was a case of trying too hard and the goals would have eventually came more consistently?

He was still a colossal improvement on Dessers, but the money paid is eye-watering.

Even now, months later,

I still have no idea what Beale's ideal starting 11 would have looked like if he had stayed in charge and we had a must win game tomorrow with his whole squad fit.

Danilo baffled me.

He came with a reputation as a dead-eyed finisher yet looked erratic in that department, to say the least. Who knows, maybe it was a case of trying too hard and the goals would have eventually came more consistently?

He was still a colossal improvement on Dessers, but the money paid is eye-watering.

Aye, agreed. Thought he was going to be the clinical finisher we were missing but he looks every bit as wayward as Dessers in front of goal but I do like his movement and workrate and if fit he'd be my starting number 9 every time right now

In terms of flipping him in the next 12/18 months, I'm not convinced he'll turn the profit many of us were expecting or hoping for either.

Theo Blair and Simon Murray have a superior conversion rate to Dessers. Should we sign them? These stats are always useful but can't be applied on their own to exonerate a player's performances. You need some context.

Dessers arrived as a marquee centre forward signing who was supposed to make the difference in high pressure moments. Sunday was another example of him not being clinical enough to do that.
Absolutely.
My point is that Dessers is not as bad as very many posters would have you believe.
He is an infuriating player missing what appears to be easy chances but I would suggest reasonable to put in context by pointing out his stats compare favourably with what the intelligentsia on here would have us buy like Shankland and Miovski.

I would point out that heroes like Hateley and McCoist did not set the world alight in their first season at Ibrox to put in context.

In short Dessers has done ok nothing great or horrendous.
Marquee signing at £4m+ is a drop in the ocean and English Championship strikers can cost more than that and the reality in what we are dealing with in terms of markets is highly unlikely to result in a diamond being unearthed although we live in hope.

Absolutely.
My point is that Dessers is not as bad as very many posters would have you believe.
He is an infuriating player missing what appears to be easy chances but I would suggest reasonable to put in context by pointing out his stats compare favourably with what the intelligentsia on here would have us buy like Shankland and Miovski.

I would point out that heroes like Hateley and McCoist did not set the world alight in their first season at Ibrox to put in context.

Marquee signing at £4m+ is a drop in the ocean and English Championship strikers can cost more than that and the reality in what we are dealing with in terms of markets is highly unlikely to result in a diamond being unearthed although we live in hope.

He doesn't play in the English Championship though, 4 million isn't a drop in the ocean to us, it isn't a drop in the ocean in Scotland, it isn't a drop in the ocean to a lot of clubs across Europe.

He plays in the Scottish league where the fee paid for him is more than most sides will spend in fees over the course of about 10 years or more in most cases. He is supposed to be a lot better than players like Shankland and Miovski.

We as a club have watched him, scouted him, profiled him and took a decision he is going to be worth a fee of 4 million.

A player of that fee is supposed to scoring first goals against Celtic, winners at Pittodrie, Easter Road, Tynecastle.

We should be able to find players who can impose their talents on this league at a far higher rate than we do, and that includes Dessers.

Dessers has been a flop despite his goal return, they are weak as piss goals for the most part.

Absolutely.

Yep, and "okay" would be fine if he was brought in as a project or squad signing. He wasn't, however, and it's why we'll be looking to make some money back on what we paid come the summer.

He doesn't play in the English Championship though, 4 million isn't a drop in the ocean to us, it isn't a drop in the ocean in Scotland, it isn't a drop in the ocean to a lot of clubs across Europe.

He plays in the Scottish league where the fee paid for him is more than most sides will spend in fees over the course of about 5 years or more in some cases. He is supposed to be a lot better than players like Shankland and Miovski.

We as a club have watched him, scouted him, profiled him and took a decision he is going to be worth a fee of 4 million.

A player of that fee is supposed to scoring first goals against Celtic, winners at Pittodrie, Easter Road, Tynecastle.

We should be able to find players who can impose their talents on this league at a far higher rate than we do, and that includes Dessers.

Dessers has been a flop despite his goal return, they are weak as piss goals for the most part.
With respect you are missing part of the point I was making.
We are dealing in a financial market and it doesn’t matter which league we are playing in .
The price we can pay for a player is not significant and that simply means we are unlikely to get a top class player.
We are fishing in a different pool of talent and makes it far more difficult to acquire the top class striker that many on here expect.
Even one scoring multi goals in SPL.

We are dealing in a financial market and it doesn’t matter which league we are playing in .
The price we can pay for a player is not significant and that simply means we are unlikely to get a top class player.
We are fishing in a different pool of talent and makes it far more difficult to acquire the top class striker that many on here expect.

I'm not missing your point, you are absolving our players and recruitment based on a supposed glass ceiling and a standard that doesn't exist and people don't even expect.

No one expects top class, people are quite aware we don't have the funds to bring in Mbappe or Haaland, and have been aware of that for a long, long time.

We are fishing in a pool of talent of hundreds of thousands of football players, the notion fans can't expect us to bring in players who pass the eye test a lot more often is completely wrong.

Even one scoring multi goals in SPL.

Miovski cost Aberdeen £650,000. Shankland cost Hearts just over £500,000.

Look across the city. Celtic paid £100,000 more for Furuhashi that we paid for Dessers. The Norwich striker is theirs for £3m and he already has more OF goals than Dessers. They got Giakoumakis for £2.5m.

Value for money is out there. We're not getting it. Others are.

Look across the city. Celtic paid £100,000 more for Furuhashi that we paid for Dessers. The Norwich striker is theirs for £3m and he already has more OF goals than Dessers. They got Giakoumakis for £2.5m.

To be fair mate, they've signed their fair share of duds as well. Not only that our last big striker who ended up being our highest goalscorer in Europe ever, Morelos, only cost a million. We've done well in parts and awful in others. We needed to get it right in the summer and we let a complete rookie have a run over our transfers. We make mistake after mistake. Dessers has contributed but relying on him to be the main man for us was always gonna end in tears.

The OP is wrong in saying he's worse than Lammers though. He contributed literally nothing.

One of the reasons we didnt qualify for CL football was Dessers miserable attempt when thru 1-1 with PSV keeper.
He's not that level, not our level, not SPL level.
I agree, he is Scottish Championship level. The worst striker I have seen play for Rangers. It’s embarrassing that Aberdeen and Hearts have better strikers. I don’t know why the board released the money for him, surely they have got to ask the right question’s of the manager and the football department before shelling out 4.5 million. His goals to games ratio alone said that he was never Rangers class. I never want to see him play another match for us. I cannot wait till the summer to see the back of him!

See Post 167.
I'm sure if someone told you we had signed a new CF and he will be 'nothing great or horrendous' , you would indeed be horrified!
For me, and many other posters i suspect ' horrendous' can be covered by missing our best chance in Eindhoven, our best chance at Parkhead , countless sitters. Making most games nervy affairs if not worse.
Then there's the body language, grinning at misses, cowering behind defenders instead of challenging.
Moaning at officials when he is overpowered.
Need i go into the soundbites?

All in the most horrendous player I've seen for the money at the club.
Jobbing Centres across the SPFl and lower English leagues would do better.

Lammers was poor, but we need to remember that he was very rarely played as a striker while here. We had him everywhere but. He goes to a team who play him as a striker and what do you know, he scores goals.

Again his scoring stats before we signed him doesn't suggest he was anywhere near competent, far less prolific.

He'll be scoring now because there is no pressure on him where he is. He certainly couldn't handle the pressure playing for us. An absolute disaster of a signing.

Another pathetic performance from someone who is a poor a striker as I've ever seen play for us in the top league

I'm going to leave it at that as he's cost me about 5 bans already this season
They're both miles off what we needed in the summer and the fact Beale was allowed to spunk multi-millions on the pair of them just beggars belief.

The Dutch league has long been viewed with skepticism when it comes to goalscorers.

We signed three players who's best records were there.

I'm not missing your point, you are absolving our players and recruitment based on a supposed glass ceiling and a standard that doesn't exist and people don't even expect.

No one expects top class, people are quite aware we don't have the funds to bring in Mbappe or Haaland, and have been aware of that for a long, long time.

We are fishing in a pool of talent of hundreds of thousands of football players, the notion fans can't expect us to bring in players who pass the eye test a lot more often is completely wrong.
I’m trying to explain rationally why we have recruitment difficulties.
There will be decent players out there but we are fishing in a pool where many other clubs are fishing.
In order to attract players to our pisspot league we have to pay big wages.
That’s the reality.
It helps that we have automatic European football.

Our best hope is Clement will know markets in Belgium and Holland and be able to attract players from there.
It takes a special mentality to play for Rangers.

Lammers was absolutely hapless for us, a dreadful, dreadful player. I still can’t believe how much we paid for him.

Some crazy takes on SM about taking this charlatan back. Dugmeat.

I provided some stats in relation to Miovski and Shankland which shows these 2 are not significantly better than what have in Dessers.

Furahashi was recruited from a market that Ange knows inside out working in Asia.
Idah couldn’t get a game for Norwich who are middle of the road in English Championship and I doubt significantly better than Dessers.
He’s a sub for them.
Giomakis that good he failed to be a regular starter at the Paedodrome and that’s why he left.

We always seem to aspire to what we don’t have.
I’m not saying Dessers is great but he’s certainly not as bad as people on here think.
I could mention Dessers scored a really important goal against Betis away but that would be crass.

I'm sure if someone told you we had signed a new CF and he will be 'nothing great or horrendous' , you would indeed be horrified!
For me, and many other posters i suspect ' horrendous' can be covered by missing our best chance in Eindhoven, our best chance at Parkhead , countless sitters. Making most games nervy affairs if not worse.
Then there's the body language, grinning at misses, cowering behind defenders instead of challenging.
Moaning at officials when he is overpowered.
Need i go into the soundbites?

All in the most horrendous player I've seen for the money at the club.
Jobbing Centres across the SPFl and lower English leagues would do better.
You didn’t include Dessers goal In Betis.
Look he is guilty of horrible misses but really he ain’t as bad as made out.
That’s my point.

I provided some stats in relation to Miovski and Shankland which shows these 2 are not significantly better than what have in Dessers.

Furahashi was recruited from a market that Ange knows inside out working in Asia.
Idah couldn’t get a game for Norwich who are middle of the road in English Championship and I doubt significantly better than Dessers.
He’s a sub for them.
Giomakis that good he failed to be a regular starter at the Paedodrome and that’s why he left.

I’m not saying Dessers is great but he’s certainly not as bad as people on here think.
I could mention Dessers scored a really important goal against Betis away but that would be crass.

It would also be 4 months ago.

I’m trying to explain rationally why we have recruitment difficulties.
There will be decent players out there but we are fishing in a pool where many other clubs are fishing.
In order to attract players to our pisspot league we have to pay big wages.
That’s the reality.
It helps that we have automatic European football.

Our best hope is Clement will know markets in Belgium and Holland and be able to attract players from there.
It takes a special mentality to play for Rangers.

You don’t have to rationalise it

We just have to recruit a lot better, you’re basically apologising on behalf of people who have been sacked, in this case a man from two managerial jobs in the same season and should never have been given the free reign he was

Last edited:

He’s a sub for them.

One cost the guts of £4 million while the other two came in at £650,000 and £500,000, respectively. Clinging to a goal conversion rate in defence of said £4 million player (which is level with Miovski's and worse than Shankland's) is a little desperate.

You don’t have to rationalise it

We just have to recruit a lot better, you’re basically apologising on behalf of people who have been sacked, in this case a man from two managerial jobs in the same season and should never have been given the free reign he was
Ok simples then.

One cost the guts of £4 million while the other two came in at £650,000 and £500,000, respectively. Clinging to a goal conversion rate in defence of said £4 million player (which is level with Miovski's and worse than Shankland's) is a little desperate.
Look you hate Dessers I get it.
No point in looking at any stats.

If I said you’re right and I’m wrong would that make you feel better.haha.
All I’m saying is Dessers ain’t as bad as broadly expressed on here.

Can I ask a question.
Are Rangers a better or worse team with Dessers in it?
Is Dessers better or worse than the last season of Morelos?

Look you hate Dessers I get it.
No point in looking at any stats.

If I said you’re right and I’m wrong would that make you feel better.haha.
All I’m saying is Dessers ain’t as bad as broadly expressed on here.

Can I ask a question.
Are Rangers a better or worse team with Dessers in it?

I've already said he would have been a fine signing if brought in for £1 million or thereabouts as second or third choice. But you know your argument is nonsense when trying to defend a £4 million main man on the basis of stats like chance conversion (which aren't even any better than the guys at Hearts or Aberdeen).

You didn’t include Dessers goal In Betis.
Look he is guilty of horrible misses but really he ain’t as bad as made out.
That’s my point.
I didnt because that (2nd goal in a 3-2 win) and the only goal v StMirren , 2nd goal v Hibs are probably the only highlights I could have.
If i had time i could start to list his bad misses, poor passes that have led to opposition goals.
The lack of goals could have offset the shaky defense, but when you've crap at both ends , you're going to run out of luck.

I've already said he would have been a fine signing if brought in for £1 million or thereabouts as second or third choice. But you know your argument is nonsense when trying to defend a £4 million main man on the basis of stats like chance conversion (which aren't even any better than the guys at Hearts or Aberdeen).
So what you’re saying now is that the debate is nothing to do with Dessers playing ability.
It’s about the fee that was paid for him which has eff all to do with him.

Do you not think it’s reasonable to judge a player on his playing ability and overall contribution to the team.?
Your criticism would appear to be misplaced imo.
I judge a player on playing ability and overall contribution.

I didnt because that (2nd goal in a 3-2 win) and the only goal v StMirren , 2nd goal v Hibs are probably the only highlights I could have.
If i had time i could start to list his bad misses, poor passes that have led to opposition goals.
The lack of goals could have offset the shaky defense, but when you've crap at both ends , you're going to run out of luck.
Even goalscoring legends of the team miss bundles of chances.
McCoist and Boyd in particular come to mind.
I remember McCoist being that bad and missing so many chances at the beginning of his career at Ibrox over so many games it came to a peak I think it was Dundee we played at Ibrox our supporters were sing Ally Ally GTF.

Imo you are being unduly harsh on Dessers and the fact you are resorting to blaming Dessers for bad passes that lead to goals conceded without any blame being attached to the other 9 outfield players is just ludicrous.
It’s all Dessers fault in your eyes and you are blinded by your fixed opinion with respect.
Let’s be clear I’ve only said Dessers is doing OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back