Do you have trust in GVB and Wilson with the huge rebuild in the summer?

Do you trust GVB and Wilson with the huge rebuild this summer

• Yes

Votes: 86 18.8%
  • No

Votes: 375 81.9%

• Total voters
I think SG left us 4 points clear (semantics I know) but fully agree on your second point.
The first point is important as well though. They had their worst start to a season since Lou Macari, we'd beaten them at Ibrox, yet we were only 4 points clear of them when Gerrard left.

Everything is pointing to this being on the players. Goldson's words after the Hibs semi final are ringing true.

I’ve been posting about this scenario for a while now as it was clear as early as the game at Parkhead where we could be headed.

There is no way we should stumble into a Pedro scenario where we have an unsuitable manager overseeing a major rebuild and then facing the sack by late autumn.

If we are needing to clear the decks - as we now must - by cashing in on Morelos, Kent, Aribo, Kamara and so on, saying goodbye to big earners like Goldson, Arfield and McGregor and moving on others like Roofe, Itten, Barisic, etc - it absolutely needs to be overseen by a long term appointee with a clear vision of what he wants. Like it or not, the filth did it pretty much textbook this season.

A competent exec team and a progressive DOF would know this. However, they’re such a dithering shambles that have clearly over-indexed on van Bronckhorst, that admitting to another %^*& up is probably beyond them. If he flunks the semi and the Braga games and gets pasted in the Parkhead fixture - more likely than not, I’d argue, surely even that exec team must realise the way the wind is blowing.

Regardless, it could be an extremely turbulent few months.

We are not winning the EL. It’s dreamland to think we are.

You think this team and manager can get through 2 rounds of qualifiers against some tricky sides? Good on you, I don’t have faith in them or the board. As soon as there’s a realistic challenge the team, the management and the board are “found wanting”

And yet we are in the quarters after some 'tricky sides' like erm Dortmund and Red Star Belgrade.
I'm not saying we will win it but to dismiss our chances already for qualifiers next season is just an over reaction to yesterday.

And it won't be the same team next year.

They’ll not back him with enough money to catch the mhanks though, because we are now 30m worse off because of our cheap season ending in failure
We’ve been playing second fiddle to them financially for twenty years yet have still managed to win the title on several occasions including last year.

The idea that they’ll disappear over the horizon now isn’t one I necessarily buy therefore.

We should be in a much better financial position next season given the end of the pandemic, return of spectators, money accumulated from the EL run and the Patterson cash.

They’ll certainly strengthen while we’ll be building a whole new team, but I don’t feel that’s cause for worry, quite the opposite.

This squad of players is done. It’s been together for four or five years and delivered one of the most memorable title wins in our history, but that was always going to be the natural apex of its ability and the process of breaking it up should have begun last summer.

Our financial position and failure to reach the CL meant that wasn’t possible and we gambled on them having enough in the tank to stumble towards a second successive win, but it hasn’t happened.

It doesn’t mean we’re set to be in their shadow for years to come however.

I don't trust Gio whatsoever so no.

I reckon we'll give him the summer, and he'll be gone before Christmas personally. I'd be happy if we saved time and sacked him at the end of the season.

And yet we are in the quarters after some 'tricky sides' like erm Dortmund and Red Star Belgrade.
I'm not saying we will win it but to dismiss our chances already for qualifiers next season is just an over reaction to yesterday.

And it won't be the same team next year.
Chances are it will be a worse team, because we won’t spend the money required to replace those we are losing. Which is why Van Bronckhorst is here in the first place

The problems we saw yesterday were prevalent under Gerrard as well.
A lack of professional application and concentration, particularly in defence.
Dreadful passing when being pressed.
A disjointed haphazard pressing game.
Failure to deal with set pieces and crosses against us.
We need to sign players with a strong mentality to replace the likes of Aribo as just one example.

Every manager deserves a chance to build his own squad.
Not necessarily, we’ve seen this manager for around 5 months now and he’s struggled to get a tune out of a very decent squad of players. We’d be better backing someone in the summer who we genuinely trust rather than someone who’s only getting the summer because it feels the right thing to do

If a new manager came in that had 4 or 5 players in mind for the spine of his team I could see that working but Gio seems reliant on what Wilson and the scouting team produce and we have a very low success rate
Maybe one of the agreements in the many meetings before he was made Manager

The problems we saw yesterday were prevalent under Gerrard as well.
A lack of professional application and concentration, particularly in defence.
Dreadful passing when being pressed.
A disjointed haphazard pressing game.
Failure to deal with set pieces and crosses against us.
We need to sign players with a strong mentality to replace the likes of Aribo as just one example.
So basic stuff then

Wrightly or wrongly GVB will be given summer to overhaul the squad, otherwise if he were binned Wilson and and the board would be admitting to their failure in appointing the wrong manager, when acknowledging any sort of mistakes is just not their thing.

The extent of the overhaul will clearly depend on the fees received for players leaving.

Although normally supportive of a new manager I worry about GVB's persistence in selecting players who too often this season have let us down and as for rebuilding I have absolutely no idea the kind of side which he is trying to create which for me is a big "red flag".

It's a worrying summer for me and next season is looking like being one of hope rather than expectation at this stage.

He will get the summer window what ever happens. To be fair I think we are overdue a clearance and he needs to bring in 4 or 5 quality first team signings with the right mentality to match the expectations of being a Rangers player.

Wilson has a very poor hit rate of successful signings with the club and GVB January signings have all bombed.

I’ve calmed down from yesterday and think Gio needs to be given the chance to build his own side but I’m not that confident in them building a championship winning team.
Not sure how much influence GvB has on signings to be honest. Wilson doesn't seem to have found any real quality to bring in. Our forward options on the bench yesterday were paper thin. At the least we need a shake up in the recruitment department. Not sure GvB can survive now though. Question is who could we bring in who would be an upgrade.

Can't fully dismiss Gio as this isn't his team and these shitebag players have let us down numerous times by this point. He'll get next season and his own team to prove himself. Do I trust the board with recruitment? No.
This Ross Wilson role is the bit that confuses me, about GVB, making changes.

I think we need to see what they have planned, and most importantly - how they work together. The DoF model falls on its arse if you have someone just buying players they fancy and expecting the manager to make something of it. The manager must be setting the principles and values that he is looking for.

I don’t think the manager is wrong to write off about 2/3 of the squad to be fair.
They aren’t nearly as good as they think they are. Some of them are worth losing if it makes the point about the standards and attitude that are expected.

At the same time, Lundstram has gone from lacking purpose to being the pivot of our team and the transition from attack to defence. Equally, Bassey has shown great attitude and made himself the undisputed leftback ahead of a Croatian internationalist.
Under Gio we’ve seen intelligent players improve and one trick ponies stagnate.

The manager needs to have his changes funded though. Not necessarily massive fees but if he can identify players that will work in the system and whose mentality & attitude are right then he will turn this around.

Not sure how much influence GvB has on signings to be honest. Wilson doesn't seem to have found any real quality to bring in. Our forward options on the bench yesterday were paper thin. At the least we need a shake up in the recruitment department. Not sure GvB can survive now though. Question is who could we bring in who would be an upgrade.
I think our recruitments been poor, but I don't know how much that is down to Wilson. When you have a budget of £0 it's going to be difficult.

Lundstram and Bassey have been good signings. Souttar on a free is decent. Most of us were delighted with Ramsey and Diallo but they just haven't worked.

When you're shopping in the bargain basement you can't expect much quality.

Wilson has a very poor hit rate of successful signings with the club and GVB January signings have all bombed.

I’ve calmed down from yesterday and think Gio needs to be given the chance to build his own side but I’m not that confident in them building a championship winning team.
I’m not confident either as he’ll have to buy in the bargain basement box to build a team while our main opponent has £35M+ to strengthen an already strong side.
Anybody know how many players they have on loan? They will have to spend some of their war chest just to keep those players. Jota, Hart? CCV? Hatate?

That's a very good point. It appears it's endemic and some players just can't learn?
Exactly. Yesterday I said to the Bear I go with that the set pieces were what bothered me cos we seem to have a dead spot in our box where our keeper won't come for it & it drops behind our 1st line of defence with nobody marking. It's basic stuff and unbelievable it's not been sorted as that is firmly on the coaching.
It's the same players tho and like a few I will be glad to see certain players leave this year like Goldson. It all clicked last season but from the start this year we have never been settled as a team. GVB still worry me as he is here to win the League, Europe is a bonus but seeing g them swoon in and take the automatic Champs League place after our hard work is typical of Rangers in recent years. We never really improved squad & that is the board and Ross Wilson. Since I have them all in my sights I will also say that the Cheshire cat SR should be nowhere near Rangers and him & Wilson are 2x I'd like to see gone.
They all patted themselves on the back after 55 but have become complacent & let our rivals gain back ground they should never have been allowed to do

Exactly. Yesterday I said to the Bear I go with that the set pieces were what bothered me cos we seem to have a dead spot in our box where our keeper won't come for it & it drops behind our 1st line of defence with nobody marking. It's basic stuff and unbelievable it's not been sorted as that is firmly on the coaching.
It's the same players tho and like a few I will be glad to see certain players leave this year like Goldson. It all clicked last season but from the start this year we have never been settled as a team. GVB still worry me as he is here to win the League, Europe is a bonus but seeing g them swoon in and take the automatic Champs League place after our hard work is typical of Rangers in recent years. We never really improved squad & that is the board and Ross Wilson. Since I have them all in my sights I will also say that the Cheshire cat SR should be nowhere near Rangers and him & Wilson are 2x I'd like to see gone.
They all patted themselves on the back after 55 but have become complacent & let our rivals gain back ground they should never have been allowed to do
Agree with all of that, have kittens at every set piece we defend.
Need a keeper who comes for crosses combined with a back 3(possibly?).
There is a disconnect across all areas of the team.
Horrible feeling yesterday and today.

Agree with all of that, have kittens at every set piece we defend.
Need a keeper who comes for crosses combined with a back 3(possibly?).
There is a disconnect across all areas of the team.
Horrible feeling yesterday and today.
And disconnect at boardroom level and then with the support.
It's staggering tbh how we have ended up within 12mths

The first point is important as well though. They had their worst start to a season since Lou Macari, we'd beaten them at Ibrox, yet we were only 4 points clear of them when Gerrard left.

Everything is pointing to this being on the players. Goldson's words after the Hibs semi final are ringing true.
The thing is, even though we weren't exactly great at the start of the season, I think if Gerrard was still in charge we'd still be top of the league.

Why?

Because I don't think we would have lost to the tims. In either game. I get that's all "what if?" but the fact we pumped them for 2 years on the trot would suggest I'm not far off it and I reckon the majority would agree with me.

And if we didn't lose to them so convincingly in January, they may have dropped more points and wouldn't have gotten a massive confidence boost - equally we would have avoided a hugely demoralising game.

However I don't think we would have beat Dortmund - so if Gio goes on to win EL we could all look like idiots here.

They deserve a season to do so with half of the money from the Patterson sale, and the potential sales of Kent/Barisic/Aribo/Morelos. That should give them a chunk to reinvest into the squad and hopefully improve it.

If they fail, we need to replace both as soon as it's obvious it's not working.
If we follow that rational there is a lkely scenario of manager being removed and club being left with half a team of unhappy players signed by Gio.

And disconnect at boardroom level and then with the support.
It's staggering tbh how we have ended up within 12mths
Sadly this is the case. The recent emergence of Dave King suggests all isn't well. I believe Douglas Parks heart is in the right place but I think King is a bit more savvy and streetwise.
Gerrards departure is probably a symptom of this as well.

I’ve been posting about this scenario for a while now as it was clear as early as the game at Parkhead where we could be headed.

There is no way we should stumble into a Pedro scenario where we have an unsuitable manager overseeing a major rebuild and then facing the sack by late autumn.

If we are needing to clear the decks - as we now must - by cashing in on Morelos, Kent, Aribo, Kamara and so on, saying goodbye to big earners like Goldson, Arfield and McGregor and moving on others like Roofe, Itten, Barisic, etc - it absolutely needs to be overseen by a long term appointee with a clear vision of what he wants. Like it or not, the filth did it pretty much textbook this season.

A competent exec team and a progressive DOF would know this. However, they’re such a dithering shambles that have clearly over-indexed on van Bronckhorst, that admitting to another %^*& up is probably beyond them. If he flunks the semi and the Braga games and gets pasted in the Parkhead fixture - more likely than not, I’d argue, surely even that exec team must realise the way the wind is blowing.

Regardless, it could be an extremely turbulent few months.
If King returns I think we might see a change of manager

It’s mental how people can’t fathom that this is on the players. We could get Pep or Klopp in and we would still have the same outcome because Tav and the gang collapse after the winter break when Celtic put together a run. Cup competitions when it’s there on a plate for us. It’s ingrained in the dressing room and the only way to break it is to to get rid of the characters who run the dressing room. Leopards don’t change their spots.

It’s mental how people can’t fathom that this is on the players. We could get Pep or Klopp in and we would still have the same outcome because Tav and the gang collapse after the winter break when Celtic put together a run. Cup competitions when it’s there on a plate for us. It’s ingrained in the dressing room and the only way to break it is to to get rid of the characters who run the dressing room. Leopards don’t change their spots.

That's baws TBH

Was exaggerating, but the point is, most managers will get the same end outcome out of them.

What evidence is there to suggest that it will be any different?

But it hasn't been the same outcome, and they did change their spots. They DID win the league last season, and done so in sensational fashion, they showed a talent and mindset to win games.

The mentality of "keep the zero" when we don't keep the zero, taking our foot of the gas and allowing Aberdeen back in the game, a tactical shambles of a game, the loss of the ball in sh*t areas at Ross County because we utterly insist in playing football in stupid areas rather than getting the ball forward far, far more often than a Rangers side should, the shambles of a team selection at their place. He has flogged a limited group of players and they now look leggy in games

Gio is massively, massively culpable in this league going to bits, he will always during his tenure with us work with players and personalities with some form of flaw in them, it is his job to coach them to the best level he can get from them, it is a far, far better level than a 50% domestic win ration, that is a shocking record.

But it hasn't been the same outcome, and they did change their spots. They DID win the league last season, and done so in sensational fashion, they showed a talent and mindset to win games.

The mentality of "keep the zero" when we don't keep the zero, taking our foot of the gas and allowing Aberdeen back in the game, a tactical shambles of a game, the loss of the ball in sh*t areas at Ross County because we utterly insist in playing football in stupid areas rather than getting the ball forward far, far more often than a Rangers side should, the shambles of a team selection at their place. He has flogged a limited group of players and they now look leggy in games

Gio is massively, massively culpable in this league going to bits, he will always during his tenure with us work with players and personalities with some form of flaw in them, it is his job to coach them to the best level he can get from them, it is a far, far better level than a 50% domestic win ration, that is a shocking record.

Get that, understand the argument and get why you see it the way you do. Gio probably has not been perfect.

On the flip side these are the players who have been in winning positions against Hearts, Aberdeen, Ross County and Motherwell twice, and failed to manage a game out. To successfully manage a game out against SPL level teams should take a few leaders on the park making sure everyone is motivated, switched on and focussed. I just don’t see that.

The overall impression I am getting from these players, based on the last 4 years, is every time Celtic turn up, they fail. I just don’t see how that is now going to change with a new manager.

No chance, Wilson especially. I’d be more confident with the fucking volleyball from Castaway overseeing the rebuild.

The board finally listened on that Aussie farce. Will they listen here?

There’s a majority want the manager changed sooner than later.

GVB needs to be allowed to build his own side and then we can judge him.He has inherited Gerrards team half of which had basically chucked it.Deserves to be cut some slack i think.

Get that, understand the argument and get why you see it the way you do. Gio probably has not been perfect.

On the flip side these are the players who have been in winning positions against Hearts, Aberdeen, Ross County and Motherwell twice, and failed to manage a game out. To successfully manage a game out against SPL level teams should take a few leaders on the park making sure everyone is motivated, switched on and focussed. I just don’t see that.

The overall impression I am getting from these players, based on the last 4 years, is every time Celtic turn up, they fail. I just don’t see how that is now going to change with a new manager.

Hearts, how is that a mentality issue though? McGregor dropped it and basically sold the whole thing down the river.

Aberdeen, we were in total control, should have looked for a second, the manager made changes and it gave Aberdeen a chance to come back in the game.

The manager needs to be culpable in focus, attention to detail and motivation.

Celtic did "turn up" last season, Rangers just played in a way that crumpled what they were trying to achieve to dust, by the time of the first OF last season Rangers had dropped more points.

it would change with a new manager and be changed now, as we wouldn't have dropped points in 50% of our games, would have more points and most likely be top TBH

Nope- the two of them (alongside certain members of our board) are hopelessly out of their depth.

Im puzzled at the idea all the blame gets put at the door of Gio and Wilson when this squad hasn't had penny spent on it in 2 years

Not convinced any of the January signings were GVBs - given how little time Diallo and Sands have played.

Your point stands though regarding trust and at the moment I have none. Wilson’s signings have been abysmal.

Would like to see if this summer Gio had more of an input and can get some of his targets in, I do however think we will be bargain basement shopping again.

I have concerns.

I base those concerns upon the fact that Gio came in, ahead of the January window, and although available money would have been tight, I suspect that most of us were hoping that he'd bring in a few surprise gems from the markets that he has knowledge of (as the Celtc manager has successfully done ... unfortunately for us).

We got Ramsey, which was probably a good idea and may still be, but where are the tricky Dutch wingers/ central midfielders, or the old experienced goal machines, or the big strong fast central defenders that we all hoped for ?

Maybe Gio has them all mapped out for next summer.
Maybe he'll bring in a team of frees and bargains that will stun Scottish football.

But if we're going by what happened in January, I'm not overly confident.

I think he will get time like Gerrard did. However, when individuals keep making mistakes the manager has to make them culpable. Whether thats the keeper or any other. High lighting here Aribo yesterday, no manager can prepare for that, it’s inexhaustible.

He can and should drop players who don’t perform. Up until now he’s failed at that for a number of reasons. Defo does not trust the squad

He can and should drop players who don’t perform. Up until now he’s failed at that for a number of reasons. Defo does not trust the squad

Hearts, how is that a mentality issue though? McGregor dropped it and basically sold the whole thing down the river.

Aberdeen, we were in total control, should have looked for a second, the manager made changes and it gave Aberdeen a chance to come back in the game.

The manager needs to be culpable in focus, attention to detail and motivation.

Celtic did "turn up" last season, Rangers just played in a way that crumped what they were trying to achieve to dust, by the time of the first OF last season Rangers had dropped more points.

it would change with a new manager and be changed now, as we wouldn't have dropped points in 50% of our games, would have more points and most likely be top TBH

Giving the ball away leading to free kicks and corners in the last seconds is amateur and a sign that the players are not in control. Then McGregor’s nerves get the better of him and he drops the ball. You can almost feel the fear and uncertainty seeping out the players at times, both under Gerrard and Gio.

There’s no one controlling the game, showing any leadership, authority and forcing the game. Rolling their sleeves up and pulling us through a game when we are playing shit. Wet behind the ears and powder puff. Even last year when you think of the St. Mirren and St. Johnstone games in the cups. These games aren’t a coincidence, teams smell blood against us.

Disagree with your point about Celtic, my assessment remains the same. If Celtic mount a challenge next year and we keep the same core in the dressing room, the same will happen again, whoever the manager is. This team will need Celtic to drop points to see them over the line.

Last edited:
Giving the ball away leading to free kicks and corners in the last seconds is amateur and a sign that the players are not in control. Then McGregor’s nerves get the better of him and he drops the ball. You can almost feel the fear and uncertainty seeping out the players at times, both under Gerrard and Gio.

There’s no one controlling the game, showing any leadership, authority and forcing the game. Rolling their sleeves up and pulling us through a game when we are playing shit. Wet behind the ears and powder puff. Even last year when you think of the St. Mirren and St. Johnstone games in the cups. These games aren’t a coincidence, teams smell blood against us.

Disagree with your point about Celtic, my assessment remains the same. If Celtic mount a challenge next year and we keep the same core in the dressing room, the same will happen again, whoever the manager is. This team will need Celtic to drop points to see them over the line.
They literally went a domestic season unbeaten in the league…the manifestation of performances this year is down to Gio, 50% of league games won under him, that’s utter sh*te

It’s not an assessment TBH it’s what happened with Celtic last season, they collapsed under the points we had built

Back