Drew Busby

Was talking to him in Dumbarton about a month ago. There had been an article in The Herald or the evening times about him just a day or two before. Nice guy. I remember him with Vale of Leven

Sleep tight big man.

I do remember him playing for Morton v us at Parkhead in a cup semi and some of his tackles were rather crude

Drew was a great guy .Rangers fan as a boy although because he played for Hearts and did the hospitality meet and greet at Tynecastle he leaned towards them latterly.Started me as a trialist 3 times when he was manager of QOS. in the early 80s.He did know a player when he saw one.Was a member of the same gym as Drew for a long time pre covid .Hadn't seen him for a few months
.Pretty shocked to hear this today RIP Drew.

One of the great names from the past in Scottish football and always a threat when playing against you. Rip Drew.

Absolute legend, and I say that as someone who was born long after his football career ended. Known him from the waverley pub as a youngster going in with my maw, and the fact he was a player back in the day only adds to that. RIP, a true gentleman

I was in school with his kids. Year younger than Alan. Couple of years older than his daughter. Same age as his non-Busby son.

He was the last player to score a league goal for Third Lanark, in a 5-1 loss to Dumbarton.

Never went into The Waverley when he owned/ran it.

Used to drink in the Waverley regularly as an underager and beyond. A good man and not one to be messed with. RIP Busby

Before my time but his Hearts career was cut short at one of our bleakest periods. A reliable goalscorer in his pomp.

RIP to him and best wishes to his family.

Sorry to hear this. Been in his pub The Waverly more than a few times. Always had time for a blether. Lovely guy. Rest in peace Drew.

Good player in his day, for some reason I associate him more with Hearts than my local team.

Good player for both Airdrie & Hearts.
He formed a good partnership with Drew Jarvie at Airdrie.

I remember the 2 Drews at Airdrie when I was growing up collecting football cards, Jarvie had a Bobby Charlton hair style and always played well against us when he joined the sheep, Busby moved to Hearts and had a good moustache and hair to match.

RIP Drew and condolences to your family and friends.

Another memorable player from my adolescence now gone.

I always remember him more so for Airdrieonians than Hearts, sad news.

I always associate Drew Busby more with Airdrieonians than Hearts, possibly because that's where he started to become a very well known player. From memory, he and Drew Jarvie were a handful for any defence in Scottish football.
I only remember Drew playing for Airdrie.

My memory of Drew Busby was limited to this

TOPPSFOOTBALL197576SCOTTISH-85-300x414.jpg

Last edited:
Back