Drop Rangers into the Championship

Utter rubbish mate. Would a league 1 team have drew with Villareal twice and been unbeaten at home in Europe??
Football doesn’t work like that, Villareal drew 4-4 with Barcelona a couple of weeks ago, does that mean we could draw with them?

The championship is a, how could slog 46 games, at our best we could beat any of the championship teams, unfortunately our main problem this year has not been consistent,, how many dropped points against lesser opposition,if we played like that in the championship we would have no chance

There are a couple of stupid opinions but most that display rationality. i have seen Rangers at Ibrox 6 times this season and a few more on TV. I have seen most EFL Championship sides.
At the start of this season Rangers would have been relegation fodder. On the past couple of times on TV I would say that they are nearer the top half, having become more of a team and more accurate and sharper in passing.
If they maintain that progress they would be challenging for promotion next season. For those critical of Leeds & Norwich you seem to forget that every match is very competitive with not that much difference in class between top & bottom teams. Incidentally when I saw Norwich they were worthy of their place at top.
Money does not count for that much in England, so buying way out is not really that great an advantage, as many clubs have sugar daddys but where they would there would be a distinct advantage would be with a large hostile support.

Leeds fans' arrogance and over inflated sense of self worth is only matched by Evertonians. Your part in any football conversation with them should only ever be "is that right, aye?"

There's a guy on YouTube who does FM19 videos and a few months back he moved the three most likely to be relegated Championship teams to our league and swapped them with us, the Smellies and Hearts and let it run through the season.

The Tramps won the league easily with 90 points, we ended up 6th and lost both playoff legs to Blackburn. Hearts avoided relegation by a point. This was with European games included which wouldn't happen normally so we'd probably have finished higher and/or did better in the playoffs without that factor.

Doesn't seem completely unreasonable.

The squad we have right now would be top 10 Championship...but if we got the money they get down there we would be in Premier League top 10 in 3 years

As we are now under SG - Where we finishing in your opinion?

Had an interesting debate with a Leeds fan who was commenting on their stuttered finish to the season and how it’s all unravelling. Anyway conversation moved on to Rangers and Celtic in the championship when I mentioned I went to see QPR v Burton last year and felt the football was terrible and would fully expect both Rangers and Celtic to spank both teams 9/10.

I was utterly gobsmacked to hear back.

“Rangers are at best a mid table league 2 team and Celtic would be mid table championship. Morelos is very average and a nutter, you sign players from league two and they go into your team, you sign championship players who are your star players. No more than 2 of your players would make Leeds starting XI.”

I know we often have the big club debate on here given the arrogance and ignorance of the English but can anyone understand this attitude? Does anyone agree?
One thing is certain, there are not 48 assorted championship, L1 and L2 teams worse than them but better than us

There are a couple of stupid opinions but most that display rationality. i have seen Rangers at Ibrox 6 times this season and a few more on TV. I have seen most EFL Championship sides.
At the start of this season Rangers would have been relegation fodder. On the past couple of times on TV I would say that they are nearer the top half, having become more of a team and more accurate and sharper in passing.
If they maintain that progress they would be challenging for promotion next season. For those critical of Leeds & Norwich you seem to forget that every match is very competitive with not that much difference in class between top & bottom teams. Incidentally when I saw Norwich they were worthy of their place at top.
Money does not count for that much in England, so buying way out is not really that great an advantage, as many clubs have sugar daddys but where they would there would be a distinct advantage would be with a large hostile support.

Do you mean when we were mixing it with the likes of Villarreal and Spartak Moscow?

Down in England people just do not understand the sheer enormity of both Rangers and Celtic and that the only reason they're seen as smaller is due to lower TV money. Drop the Old Firm into the English Championship and while we may both struggle at first, once we reach the PL and with that money on top of our current revenue stream and fan base, we would be knocking on the door of that top 6.

Why do fans on here mention the scum. Ask the people of Warrington, Manchester, Birmingham and London if they would have them playing in their football league, singing songs in support of terrorists. They have no chance of playing in England whereas as we would have.
They wouldn’t want us either .

With the current squad I’d say at best we would finish somewhere between 16th - 10th

But after a full season, the same TV money the rest get and some investment.

100% could see us in a playoff place the following season.

You think we would finish between 10th and 16th in the English Championship with our current squad? The squad that narrowly missed out on Europa League football after Xmas? Madness.

We would easily be top 5.

Too true. Horrible game. It would appear he better the quality of opposition the better Millwall seem to do. Aston V & Sheff Utd as witness
Aye could be some truth in that. A game at home to QPR were the onus is on them to come out and attack doesnt suit them.
Watched that Jake Cooper at close quarters and he looks like the white Marvin Andrews. Poor with the ball but big and no nonsense.

I work with a Derby fan and we were talking about how Rangers would get on against Championship teams and he said that it would be close between us and Derby and they are still going for play offs
I would agree with that opinion. In or about the play off places.

We'd struggle in the Championship, as would the bheasts. My personal opinion.
What a lot of shite. Burnley showed you how good the English league is below the top 10, papped out of Europe early doors.

I doubt we’d be winning the Championship but even with our current team we’d be comfortably mid table

Martyn Waghorn is an £8m player in England. I rest my case

We'd be challenging for a promotion place based on the current squad. I think the Celtic team over the past few years would bounce between Championship and EPL.

If we were actually placed in the Championship we'd be top 6 EPL within 5-10 years.

Most people in England seem to have strong opinions about how poor Scottish football is without ever having watched it.
In I think with a slice of the finances down there and the size of our club, we'd be pushing for the title,given the resources,there's no doubt we'd be up there.

None of their tiny brains can actually comprehend this fact.

The conversation isn’t really how long it would take Rangers to qualify for the Premiership, it’s how would we fare in the Championship were we dropped into it now with this current squad, or at least that was my understanding of it.

If that is the question then folk are deluded if they think a side that’s struggled against the likes of Livingston, Dundee and St. Johnstone in Scotland this season would sail into the playoffs at their first crack at the infinitely more competitive English second tier.

For my money it would take us several seasons to acclimatise to the increased level of competition unless some billionaire took the plunge and propelled us up quicker with some serious wedge.

I just don’t think it necessarily follows that simply because we’re a big club we would easily ascend up a level otherwise the likes of Villa, Leeds, Sheffield Utd, etc would be up there already and Bournemouth, Burnley and Brighton would be in the division below.

We would definitely get up to the Premiership, eventually, but I think it would take a lot longer than many seem to believe.

Followed the replies to my post last night and still be believe without investment we would be closer to League 1

Yes we had Europe and we done well but this is different to me it would surprise a few under the current budget how far we actually would do in the Championship

Afterall is about opinion

McGregor, Tavernier, Goldson, Arfield, Davis, Defoe, Flanagan, Lafferty......all of them played in the EPL.

Your Leeds mate is probably light-headed because of his nosebleed, induced by the first time in a million years they might get promoted to the EPL.

Even with this squad, Rangers would be at worst a top ten Championship side. The idea we wouldn't beat the likes of Middlesborough, Millwall, QPR, Reading etc. is just laughable.

You think we would finish between 10th and 16th in the English Championship with our current squad? The squad that narrowly missed out on Europa League football after Xmas? Madness.

We would easily be top 5.

Well we’ve struggled against killie, Aberdeen hibs , Livingston this season .

So going by that I think we would struggle against Hull , derby, villa, nots Forrest away as I think they are tougher opposition

Well we’ve struggled against killie, Aberdeen hibs , Livingston this season .

So going by that I think we would struggle against Hull , derby, villa, nots Forrest away as I think they are tougher opposition

We have struggled to break down sides who predominantly sit with 2 banks of 5 on edge of penalty area. Do you think the English sides you mention would do the same thing?

Out of the Scottish sides you mention we have only really struggles against Aberdeen. The others, whilst we have suffered a defeat and a number of draws, we should actually have blown away going by amount of chances created.

Apples & oranges. English sides wouldn’t sit as deep or press as hard when we play out from the back. Scottish sides don’t have guys like jack grealish or Britt assombalonga.

We’d win more than we lost that’s for sure & given the sheer volume of points that teams drop over the season I could see us playoffs at least.

We’d do alright in the Championship.

Get our erses felt in the Premiership though.

Don’t care about the mentally challengeds.

The conversation isn’t really how long it would take Rangers to qualify for the Premiership, it’s how would we fare in the Championship were we dropped into it now with this current squad, or at least that was my understanding of it.

If that is the question then folk are deluded if they think a side that’s struggled against the likes of Livingston, Dundee and St. Johnstone in Scotland this season would sail into the playoffs at their first crack at the infinitely more competitive English second tier.

For my money it would take us several seasons to acclimatise to the increased level of competition unless some billionaire took the plunge and propelled us up quicker with some serious wedge.

I just don’t think it necessarily follows that simply because we’re a big club we would easily ascend up a level otherwise the likes of Villa, Leeds, Sheffield Utd, etc would be up there already and Bournemouth, Burnley and Brighton would be in the division below.

We would definitely get up to the Premiership, eventually, but I think it would take a lot longer than many seem to believe.

A very sensible post amongst the usual bullish stuff.

I watch league 1 football regularly and the Rangers in when I get the chance to come up to Glasgow. I would say that the football is on a similar level and Rangers would probably do well and get promoted from league 1. To then go up the leagues it's how well you invest the money that you receive. The Championship is a tough league to get out of, but once in the Premier laegue with all that money who knows how far the Rangers would go.

Unless we have a serious level of investment then I reckon we would in League 1 at best

That’s reality mate. Most of the SPFL would struggle in league 2 or the conference out with the top 6 that’s certainly true. Maybe the top 6 excluding the scum would be league 1 or bottom of the championship the scum would be championship play off level.

We have struggled to break down sides who predominantly sit with 2 banks of 5 on edge of penalty area. Do you think the English sides you mention would do the same thing?

Out of the Scottish sides you mention we have only really struggles against Aberdeen. The others, whilst we have suffered a defeat and a number of draws, we should actually have blown away going by amount of chances created.

This idea that we only struggle against teams who refuse to take the game to us and stick ten men behind the ball is fanciful.

We’ve actually scudded quite a few who set up that way this season.

We’ve dropped points in the main because we don’t have players that are good enough technically to be more consistent.

Against much better sides with much better players week after week after week, we’d be dropping a lot more points, and they wouldn’t have to sit in against us and hit on the break either - it’s not as if we’re a cultured footballing side hindered by mean spirited opponents who refuse to allow us the full range of our expression - it’s just that we’re not a particularly great collection of players.

I’m old enough to remember us cuffing them home and away. He isn’t. Didn’t even know we had turned them over.

The amount of times I've been in a pub in Headingley having to listen to a pissed up clown in a Leeds Rhinos top drinking IPA banging on about how Rangers wouldn't get in Premiership is unreal.

The response "neither will Leeds" confuses the shit out of them.

They've announced the PFA championship team for 18-19. The best of the best in that league.

Strikers: Teemu Pukki, Billy Sharp, Tammy Abraham

Midfield: Oliver Norwood, Jack Grealish, Pablo Hernandez

Defence: Pontus Jansson, Liam Cooper, Jamal Lewis, Max Aarons

Goalkeeper: Darren Randolph

Admittedly that's a strong team, but if that's the best they have to offer then Rangers would easily make the playoffs in the championship as things stand.

That team would be scrapping it out with Aberdeen and Kilmarnock.

The amount of times I've been in a pub in Headingley having to listen to a pissed up clown in a Leeds Rhinos top drinking IPA banging on about how Rangers wouldn't get in Premiership is unreal.

The response "neither will Leeds" confuses the shit out of them.

I’ve known a few Leeds fans over the years. Most of them have been good blokes, but all of them have had an incredible arrogance concerning firstly their position in English football, and secondly our chances down south, never better exemplified than their unflinching over confidence during the Battle of Britain CL clashes in ‘92 when a couple I knew quite well at the time fully expected their team to win both legs and quite easily too.

I’ve known a few Leeds fans over the years. Most of them have been good blokes, but all of them have had an incredible arrogance concerning firstly their position in English football, and secondly our chances down south, never better exemplified than their unflinching over confidence during the Battle of Britain CL clashes in ‘92 when a couple I knew quite well at the time fully expected their team to win both legs and quite easily too.

If they keep at it I just explain to them English footballs recent success was built by Manchester United in the late 90s.

So what they're doing now is boasting about Man United's achievements.

They don't like that.

The key point is we didn’t have an answer to break them down.

And I don’t know if they would play the same style. Maybe is one team did and realised it was an effective way to play against us then yeah maybe.

Back