Dundee Utd and Livingston opt out of VAR for cup games at weekend

Describe Shaun Rooney in 2 words without swearing?
Repeat with Ross Tokely
Declan Gallagher
Alan Power
Ryan Porteous

I can assure you hammer thrower has been used plenty in face to face football conversations
Tool chuckers?

Only two of this weekend's last 16 Scottish Cup ties will have VAR in operation.

That's despite four of the ties being played at Premiership grounds over Saturday and Sunday.
The technology is only available at top flight stadiums for cup matches. That has certainly proved to be a controversial topic both north and south of the border in terms of the inconsistency of its availability.
For this weekend, only Celtic, Rangers, Dundee United and Livingston have it at their disposal.

However, according to the Scottish Daily Express, only Celtic vs St Mirren and Rangers vs Partick Thistle will utilise VAR.
The video assistance is understood to cost teams around £10,000 per match to have in use.
Therefore, similar to the last round where some top flight teams opted against paying that fee, Dundee United vs Kilmarnock and Livingston vs Inverness will go ahead without it.
Shouldn’t have the option to not using it.

It doesn't get more tin pot than teams opting out of var for £10 grand.

Why are they even getting the option?

What next league games? Wonder what team will be behind this. Utterly shameful what happens in Scottish football.
Why are you surprised some of them opt out of having an away support and making an extra £50K odd

Any sort of complaining by these clubs around goals, offside, refereeing mistakes etc. should be dismissed out of hand.

They have technology to improve the referee's performances and they aren't using it out of choice.

Only two of this weekend's last 16 Scottish Cup ties will have VAR in operation.

That's despite four of the ties being played at Premiership grounds over Saturday and Sunday.
The technology is only available at top flight stadiums for cup matches. That has certainly proved to be a controversial topic both north and south of the border in terms of the inconsistency of its availability.
For this weekend, only Celtic, Rangers, Dundee United and Livingston have it at their disposal.

However, according to the Scottish Daily Express, only Celtic vs St Mirren and Rangers vs Partick Thistle will utilise VAR.
The video assistance is understood to cost teams around £10,000 per match to have in use.
Therefore, similar to the last round where some top flight teams opted against paying that fee, Dundee United vs Kilmarnock and Livingston vs Inverness will go ahead without it.
I hope that DU and Livi get put out after penalties against them, that VAR would have ruled out.
I'm surprised that the mhankies didnt go down that route too, considering all their griping about it.

Last edited:
Their money, their choice. £10k will pay the wages of about ten Livi players for a week. If a decision goes against them then that's something they'll have to suck up.
You'd be happy for Rangers to play one of these teams and be done by a dodgy decision?

if both teams are in the SPL has the cup game got to have VAR, or is it down to the home team.
Shocking that if available it can be discounted by the home team.

I long for the day that they close Scottish football down and we can finally leave for a proper set up.

An utterly miserable tinpot backwater.

No wonder no-one wants to put any money into this shitshow. It deserves %^*& all.
I can never understand why some still hold this view .Where exactly do you think our club would be able to go to if the EFA ( I presume it's England you're alluding to ) ,have made it abundantly clear they wouldn't consider or accept any application at any level now , or anytime soon.

Honestly cannot recall the last time I saw this term used, outwith posts on FF about Scottish football.

Could say the same about 'hammer-throwers'.

Many other sections of society are in blissful ignorance on the state of the game.

Wait to you hear the squeals if the ref misses a penalty or a goal scored is offside.

Clubs can opt out?
news to me
This is a bolt out of the blue ?!
Surely if VAR is available, it must be used. or else, well, what the f*ck is the point of it ?
Its like Wimbledon saying "ack, we've decided to only use Hawkeye on the Centre court this year" - they'd be a laughing stock....a bit like Scottish football these days.

Leaving it to the clubs to dispose of VAR at their games are the first steps in dismantling VAR altogether.

No surprise when we know which club most detests VAR and have tried undermining it from the beginning.

I'm guessing that as ridiculous as it is, not many on here are surprised that in Scottish football VAR is optional.

Full-time professional teams bickering over £5,000. It's not a great look.

They'll soon be refusing to play midweek in order to save money on floodlights.

I'd be very surprised if VAR is scrapped. As others have said both teams need to agree it should not be used in Cup matches. I think it should definitely be used where available but I assume the opt out is because VAR is not available for all Cup ties as it's only in place at Premiership grounds.

It's not just Scotland. In the English Cup VAR is not used at all matches because it is not available at non-Premier grounds. I believe it's also only used in the semi-final and final of the League Cup down south.

Is it a coincidence that Dundee United's appeal against Edwards' red card has been "thrown out" ?

Their money, their choice. £10k will pay the wages of about ten Livi players for a week. If a decision goes against them then that's something they'll have to suck up.
It all adds up if they progress in the cup. And they dont often have even 1/10th of the home attendences that we always have to cover the extra cost without too much pain.

As the Scottish Cup is a competition run by the SFA not the SPFL, could the SFA not help out with costs ? If not where does the SFA money go ?

Livingston ? I remember Pearse Flynn, when Livi was relegated from the top division, switching off the undersoil heating to save money as it wasn't compulsory in the lower divisions.

Whilst it's tinpot, why do clubs have to pay for it themselves? Surely our ever successful governing bodies have already paid for it up front?

Why would any club want to run the risk of being eliminated from a club competition because of a dodgy decision when it could easily be avoided?

The main arguments against VAR at times are more like arguments that the rules of the game are too flexible or not properly understood by the refs.

Imagine going home having watched your team lose a cup tie 1-0, seeing on TV that the ball never crossed the line and knowing that your own club accepts this because it saved them a bit of money.

Back