Eddie Howe

I am getting mixed reactions from tims, some saying he's the best young manager in the UK, some saying he's not their choice.
Personally nothing jumps out to me he is a very good manager, why was he out of a job for so long?..Was it his choice or other clubs didn't want him , I think he will get the job and use it as a stepping stone just like Rogers.
He has a VERY big job on his hands to overhaul their squad just like SG had to do.
Quite possibly the best coach in the world. That's the word on the street.

Pretty funny if they are sacking off their planned revamped structure just to get Howe in the door.

Manager picking their own DOF (or equivalent) is kind of against the point.

Bizarre set of circumstances. Celtic want their own DOF in, Howe wants his. If Howe gets his way and then fails, you’d imagine Hughes would get the sack as well leaving them back to the drawing board and setting them back years. Guess we’ll need to wait and see.
Which entirely defeats the purpose of employing a DOF they are ment to provide continuity when clubs change their management teams

Bizarre set of circumstances. Celtic want their own DOF in, Howe wants his. If Howe gets his way and then fails, you’d imagine Hughes would get the sack as well leaving them back to the drawing board and setting them back years. Guess we’ll need to wait and see.
If this is true they'd be mad to get him, has disaster written all over it.

Win win for us, their fans will go mental if they don't appoint him now.

Who is the Richard Hughes guy they are after?
Worked with Howe at Bournemouth as technical director, that dream team spunked £40m on Solanke and Ibe.

They won’t get leeway to make transfers that bad, at that value this season so I hope they get him.

However, even the shite the sign will still be better than most of our league.

Worked with Howe at Bournemouth as technical director, that dream team spunked £40m on Solanke and Ibe.

They won’t get leeway to make transfers that bad, at that value this season so I hope they get him.

However, even the shite the sign will still be better than most of our league.
So far in his career he has made 1 signing within their budget that wasn't a total failure

Problem they'll be facing is the rolling contract they operate.....everybody knows it gonna take longer than a year to sort that shower of shite out.
They won't do that with a big manager similar they didn't do it with brenda

That's where the sticky point comes if they put him on a 3 or 4 year deal and have a plan but then the hoards are chasing buses by October they have killed them selves.

This is one of they don't get right will cost them big time and lay foundations for a period of domination from us

Our if they get it right it will still cost them a fortune they don't have financially.

Yep, at least 2 or 3 new threads a day about him now. Does come across as a bit insecure.
You keep your head in the sand and don't read the threads then. The rest of us are interested in what our biggest rivals are doing and what we will be facing next year. Pretty normal behaviour tbh.

If Howe had any sense he would hold off to see what EPL jobs will become available.

Even the likes of Palace will pay far more and he’ll have a much bigger budget. Also closer to his safe place of the south coast.
Personally I hope he goes for the England u21 job. It suits his style ( improving younger players ) and he gets to travel about different clubs in various countries (when covid allows ) gaining experience. Of he does three years of that he will still have time to get back to club football.

Looks like he could be playing for time to gauge what his other options might be.
It does seem to have become a bit more uncertain having suddenly gone from being announced today to 'hopefully this week'.

Gerrard was here before Ross Wilson, so I don't think it matters that much who arrives 1st

Circumstances are different though. Celtic appear to want Fergal Harkin and by the sounds of it Howe is only going to take their managers job if he is allowed Richard Hughes as his DOF.

Personally I hope he goes for the England u21 job. It suits his style ( improving younger players ) and he gets to travel about different clubs in various countries (when covid allows ) gaining experience. Of he does three years of that he will still have time to get back to club football.
There's no chance he takes that.

He also doesn't have a brilliant track record with young players, Ake is the only standout and most of that was done at Chelsea.

Circumstances are different though. Celtic appear to want Fergal Harkin and by the sounds of it Howe is only going to take their managers job if he is allowed Richard Hughes as his DOF.
It's possible they'll appoint Harkin as technical director and Hughes as head of recruitment but it's far from ideal in any case

I'm pretty sure Andy Scoulding is our head of recruitment

The great man is talking a lot of sense i agree Celtic were shocked by what happened this year,but this season was always going to be their toughest test. We were closing in on them rapidly all we were lacking was consistency, they refused to accept we were a very good side so they implode and the rest is history, I'm really excited about the future for our team on and off the park, the scum must be bricking it the reality is that they could be dominated by us for a long time, WATP

If it is the case that Celtic have to decide between Fergal Harkin and Eddie Howe, their history indicates that there is an obvious reason why Harkin will get the nod.

More likely they've already hired or offered the guy from Man City the job and now haggling with Howe about taking the job with him included.

It's possible they'll appoint Harkin as technical director and Hughes as head of recruitment but it's far from ideal in any case

I'm pretty sure Andy Scoulding is our head of recruitment
Andy Scoulding is head of scouting, it's different from head of recruitment I thought. What Scoulding does is essentially organise which country, teams, players etc each of our scouts are to follow and propose players they do notice to Ross Wilson and Gerrard. Then technical director (Ross Wilson) is essentially a head of recruitment but also oversees other stuff such as training facilities and academy operations as well (alongside Craig Mulholland). At least that's how I have always seen it

He spent over £250m to get them relegated, I’m not worried in the slightest.
The money thing is all relative. He seems to be a good coach, so he's likely to be an improvement on what they have.
I believe he could struggle with the demands/pressure of life in Glasgow.

I remember half of FF saying that Rodgers would be a dud. Most of us were licking our lips at the prospect of Moyes going to them, look at the job he is doing now. I don't really have a clue how Howe will get on. None of us do.

All I know is that we literally couldn't have a better bunch in charge of us.
Yeah, we need to concentrate on our own race and not get sucked into watching their lane, that's what they did with us and look where it left them.

Pretty funny if they are sacking off their planned revamped structure just to get Howe in the door.

Manager picking their own DOF (or equivalent) is kind of against the point.
Tail is wagging the dog it seems. Shows that they have put all their eggs into the one basket here and they maybe don’t have a credible back-up option for manager.

The original guy from Man City will surely have his nose out of joint at this news and may tell them to feck off. I’d imagine they were looking to get youth fringe players from city on the cheap and punt them on (Ntfcham and Frimpong) and Lawells boy being in there helped this. Shows they are all about the balance sheet. Desmond has Celtic as an investment, not primarily for his love of the club.

You are never more than a season ahead or behind and to think otherwise would be foolish.

Its partly what cost celtic this season.

We have seen a swing of 30-40 points numerous times

Yep, things can change quickly. Though, whatever some of our fans might think or say, I'd be very surprised if anyone at Ibrox is complacent.

Gerrard was here before Ross Wilson, so I don't think it matters that much who arrives 1st
Maybe, but different managers want different set-ups behind the scenes. Some managers can come in with only a new an assistant and work well, others want to bring an entire backroom team with them. I dont think there is a right way and a wrong way, it comes down to whatever the new manager is comfortable with and whether the backroom team already in place are any good at their jobs.

Any half- decent manager will improve them, but that's not the point. We will get better as well. For all the improvements they will make, we will too

Maybe, but different managers want different set-ups behind the scenes. Some managers can come in with only a new an assistant and work well, others want to bring an entire backroom team with them. I dont think there is a right way and a wrong way, it comes down to whatever the new manager is comfortable with and whether the backroom team already in place are any good at their jobs.
just realised the crux of the matter was not who arrives 1st, but Howe and the tims want different DOF, wonder if that could be a deal breaker for either parties, whereas Mark Allen had a hand in getting Gerrard, and Gerrard and Wilson had a good meeting to see if they'd work well together before Wilson took the job

Andy Scoulding is head of scouting, it's different from head of recruitment I thought. What Scoulding does is essentially organise which country, teams, players etc each of our scouts are to follow and propose players they do notice to Ross Wilson and Gerrard. Then technical director (Ross Wilson) is essentially a head of recruitment but also oversees other stuff such as training facilities and academy operations as well (alongside Craig Mulholland). At least that's how I have always seen it
I think I've heard RW refer to him as head of recruitment a couple of times, admit I might be wrong though.

Things can change a lot in 2 seasons - look at us and them 2 years ago.

In football, if you stand still, you're going backwards. That's what Celtic did AND we were constantly moving forward.

As long as we keep Gerrard, buy good, cheap players and make big profits on any unavoidable sales we'll sit comfortably ahead of them.

Howe will make strides with them (hard not to) but it won't be enough.

Not the timing mate , but it does matter if Howe is dictating who is coming in as DOF .
yer just realised I got the wrong end of the stick, good to see there's a vital difference of opinion between Howe and the tims already, as the relationship between DOF and the manager is absolutely the engine that drives any club in today's footballing world

I remember half of FF saying that Rodgers would be a dud. Most of us were licking our lips at the prospect of Moyes going to them, look at the job he is doing now. I don't really have a clue how Howe will get on. None of us do.

All I know is that we literally couldn't have a better bunch in charge of us.
Exactly. It might work out if might not. A lot of celtic fans were laughing at us appointing Gerrard and he has done a brilliant job. As you say none of us know how it will work out. On the face of it it seems like a good appointment in my opinion.

It would be hilarious if he ends up knocking it back though.

Didn’t know anything about Howe I have just read he kept Bournemouth in the Premiership for 5 Seasons must admit that’s quite an achievement different pressure coming up here.
Which means he might be able to keep the mentally challengeds in the championship haha

The way I see it is this, Howe may well be the Brendan mk2, but he’s coming into a very different situation. Gerrard isn’t Pedro mk2, we’ve just won a league, playing some fantastic football in a settled club and squad and are moving as a unit, forward.
He’s in a very similar position to what Gerrard was 3 years ago. I don’t believe he’ll get that kind of time as their fans are very different to us.
if he joins them I think he’ll realise quite quickly he’s made a mistake. If he wasn’t going to them they would hate him and everything he stands for.
If he does join and stays I think it’s Gona take him a few transfer windows to get his squad together.
Then again he might come in and be the new mowbery.

I wish players, managers,... on both sides would stop making predictions like this.

He could come in and hit the ground running for all we know. We can only focus on ourselves.
They are only opinions, im more surprised no one has complained about another Eddie Howe thread:D

I'd have thought if he wanted the job, he'd have signed by now. It's not as if there's any compensation to be negotiated with his existing employer.

The way I see it is this, Howe may well be the Brendan mk2, but he’s coming into a very different situation. Gerrard isn’t Pedro mk2, we’ve just won a league, playing some fantastic football in a settled club and squad and are moving as a unit, forward.
He’s in a very similar position to what Gerrard was 3 years ago. I don’t believe he’ll get that kind of time as their fans are very different to us.
if he joins them I think he’ll realise quite quickly he’s made a mistake. If he wasn’t going to them they would hate him and everything he stands for.
If he does join and stays I think it’s Gona take him a few transfer windows to get his squad together.
Then again he might come in and be the new mowbery.

You are fundamentally right in that the massive gap between the clubs is gone but it is still to be proved if they are where we are when SG took over because we were rebuilding from a lot less than their new manager will be.

In theory even a decent manager should make it a very tight title challenge next season.

Back