Emma Hayes (Chelsea laddies manager)

What's interesting about the reaction to Hayes and the inevitable accusations of box ticking is that it becomes a stick to beat her with that can't be used with pundits who are considerably worse.

Robbie Savage, Danny Murphy, Jermaine Jenas, Martin Keown, John Hartson - all these guys had successful careers in men's football and are, in my opinion, considerably poorer at co commentary than Hayes, whose career with women's football is used as an example of why she's really quite bad at this (but isn't with Shelley Kerr, who is generally terrific on RTV, as well as Alex Scott; Gabby Logan's also being doing this for so long that people have probably forgotten that her box ticking appointment to football presenting came twenty years ago).

These guys are just bad pundits. Hayes might be as well, but the quality of women's football, or her being a women, isn't really a reason.

Edit - didn't realise that Hartson being a shit pundit was something with which someone would disagree, but takes all sorts, I suppose :D

Last edited:
You asked

AA9vGmvlURBB_xTH5SoWkzON4_1440x.958.jpg
Thats a man ;)

Have to be honest, she was irritating as hell last week when commentating on a game

got to about 60 odd minutes and turned the volume down very low so I didn’t need to listen to her boring voice

this argument has been done before but I don’t see a woman taking control of a men’s team and lasting very long. The respect just won’t be there

Monotone drone. A female Trevor Brooking.

Talks way too much and is bloody patronising. She talks at least as much as the actual commentator and seems to be under the impression we've never seen a game of football before, so we won't have a clue what's going on unless she explains absolutely everything that's happening on the pitch.

What's interesting about the reaction to Hayes and the inevitable accusations of box ticking is that it becomes a stick to beat her with that can't be used with pundits who are considerably worse.

Robbie Savage, Danny Murphy, Jermaine Jenas, Martin Keown, John Hartson - all these guys had successful careers in men's football and are, in my opinion, considerably poorer at co commentary than Hayes, whose career with women's football is used as an example of why she's really quite bad at this (but isn't with Shelley Kerr, who is generally terrific on RTV, as well as Alex Scott; Gabby Logan's also being doing this for so long that people have probably forgotten that her box ticking appointment to football presenting came twenty years ago).

These guys are just bad pundits. Hayes might be as well, but the quality of women's football, or her being a women, isn't really a reason.

Edit - didn't realise that Hartson being a shit pundit was something with which someone would disagree, but takes all sorts, I suppose :D

nah mate, box ticking innit. Get with the program. Those men are allowed to be shit, she has to earn it or something.

She sounds like a wummin version of Stuart Pearce and she talks too much for a co commentator. That said, Dixon, Keown and Savage etc al are murder to listen to as well.

Same comments every time from the FF misogynists, who don't realize what they are.
We don't get to hear her over here, but I'd take just about anyone over Efan Ekoku, who could put any insomniac to sleep. There's some people aren't cut out for it, maybe she's just one of many.

Same comments every time from the FF misogynists, who don't realize what they are.
We don't get to hear her over here, but I'd take just about anyone over Efan Ekoku, who could put any insomniac to sleep. There's some people aren't cut out for it, maybe she's just one of many.

This is really what it comes down to.

Some can do it and some can't.

Some men can do it and some can't. Some women can do it and some can't.

It's not difficult to grasp. There are so many rules and exceptions it's a minefield to try and legitimise some of these positions, and more often than not, they can't (responding to a post with an emoji instead of debating, for instance).

I like the cut of Emma Hayes’ gib, she knows her stuff, no the best looking of all the fe-male pundits, but when she talks you listen, she’ll be the first high profile wo-man manageress for a men’s team guaranteed! If I was a gambling man I’d have a wee wager on it ;)
Worst co commentator ever.

Its blindingly obvious that no one is able to defend the point she is an awful commentator.

The only defence is "some of the established male commentators are awful too". Is that a good enough reason to bring queen monotone in?

Why not get a decent co commentator regardless of sex, instead of foisting this droning bore on us. Just a thought.

She is awful. The fact she is she and not he should not mean she is immune to criticism. We regularly slag Hartson, Dixon or Crocker on here. Not sure why certain commentators should be immune to very valid criticisms of being awful.

Its blindingly obvious that no one is able to defend the point she is an awful commentator.

The only defence is "some of the established male commentators are awful too". Is that a good enough reason to bring queen monotone in?

Why not get a decent co commentator regardless of sex, instead of foisting this droning bore on us. Just a thought.

She is awful. The fact she is she and not he should not mean she is immune to criticism. We regularly slag Hartson, Dixon or Crocker on here. Not sure why certain commentators should be immune to very valid criticisms of being awful.

Woof, its a goal by Stein, what a goal by Stein.
Come back Archie.

I think if you deny any valid criticisms of an appalling commentator only because they don't have balls you are only going to fuel people's claims that they are being put on tv for that very reason.

For people to sink or swim on their own merits they need to.... sink or swim on their own merits. And not be propped up despite being utterly horrific at the job.

Making valid criticisms verboeten will not help.

I think if you deny any valid criticisms of an appalling commentator only because they don't have balls you are only going to fuel people's claims that they are being put on tv for that very reason.

For people to sink or swim on their own merits they need to.... sink or swim on their own merits. And not be propped up despite being utterly horrific at the job.

Making valid criticisms verboeten will not help.

I don’t think anybody here is saying she’s good, but there are plenty calling her a box tick and bringing her level of football experience into it. If that isn’t an “agenda” then what is?

When she was linked with the Wimbledon job I made the argument she was allowed to be shit, cos there have been many shit managers before her and there’ll be many after, but no, under 14 boys beat the USA so nah.

oh right, so if she was a commentator and not a pundit nobody would mention her gender or football ability? Right, gotcha
Correct. That's why nobody really bothers their erse about the female commentator we've had at the Euros.

Back