Euro 2020 England V Croatia | KIck off 2pm | Live BBC One - No Borna

i think the general consensus down here is one of indifference towards Scotland. There seems to be a bit of a myth that goes around that the English hate Scottish people, but it certainly isn't the case from my point of view, nor have I ever met anyone who "hates" scotland - its a manufactured load of shite courtesy of the SNP.

I lived in Scotland for a long time, and the anti-English sentiment is way more intense up there than any anti-scotland sentiment from the English. People seem to get their knickers in a twist when they see English pundits wanting England to win and, heaven forbid, maybe beat Scotland.

i will say that the referendum and pro-independence stuff did alienate a lot of people that would have otherwise been backing scotland when playing other nations - IMO any abandonment of Scotland from those south of the border is a result of Scotland's own doing.

Last edited:
From an English point of view I don't hate Scotland at all, I want Scotland to win tomorrow. In my 34 years of being alive I haven't seen much anti Scotland in England but have witnessed a fair bit of anti England in Scotland.
Sturgeon and her cronies stir up the gullible rational people do not behave this way or judge people on where they are born.

i think the general consensus down here is one of indifference towards Scotland. There seems to be a bit of a myth that goes around that the English hate Scottish people, but it certainly isn't the case from my point of view, nor have I ever met anyone who "hates" scotland - its a manufactured load of shite courtesy of the SNP.

Lived in Scotland for a long time, and the anti-English sentiment is way more intense up there than any anti-scotland sentiment from the English. People seem to get their knickers in a twist when they see English pundits wanting England to win and, heaven forbid, maybe beat Scotland.

i will say that the referendum and pro-independence stuff did alienate a lot of people that would have otherwise been backing scotland when playing other nations - IMO any abandonment of Scotland from those south of the border is a result of Scotland's own doing.
This is exactly my experience, mate.

This is exactly my experience, mate.
I think the general opinion down here is whilst banter is Ok with the Scottish,we still,as a rule want the Union.

Of course some people are a bit tired of Nippy banging her drum about Indy all the time( or so it seems to some) and are of the opinion that if you think you can do better then feel free to leave the Union.Thats a minority I may add.

The free prescription thing,I read someone saying earlier we are jealous of it .

No ,it's more to the point that as England are the main tax payers out the Union some people obviously feel that they are having the piss ripped .
To Me,it's up to you what you do with the money but then to hear Nippy moaning about underfunding from WM ,well it's a bit rich to say the least.

The SNP hate all things British,all the things we love.How any Rangers or Hearts fans can vote for them is mind boggling IMO

Behave. They hate us and not surprisingly us them too which all comes down to their arrogance. Horrible bunch who with a bunch fat splodges who cause trouble all the time and cry when get a slap. They Say cringey things like its coming home. The pundits too...

Apart from that and away from football they have a decent sense of humour. When it comes to football I could upper cut one straight between the knackers
I have lived down here for over 20 years and in my experience England like to beat us but not sure if they hate us, we are an irrelevance to them in the grand scheme of things these days.

From an English point of view I don't hate Scotland at all, I want Scotland to win tomorrow. In my 34 years of being alive I haven't seen much anti Scotland in England but have witnessed a fair bit of anti England in Scotland.
I don't hate Scotland at all either but I definitely don't want them to win. I think it's a bit of a myth that we (the English) are all magnanimous towards Scotland as a team and are happy to see them win. I think that all changed in 1996 when it became obvious that the English well wishes towards Scotland weren't reciprocated. Since then we've had decades of seeing Scots fans buying the opposition strip in important England tournament games and celebrating our defeats. Don't tell me you wouldn't like to get it up them a bit with a good gubbing and an early exit. I feel exactly the same about Wales BTW, even though I'm half Welsh, but I'm always happy to see NI do well.

Behave. They hate us and not surprisingly us them too which all comes down to their arrogance. Horrible bunch who with a bunch fat splodges who cause trouble all the time and cry when get a slap. They Say cringey things like its coming home. The pundits too...

Apart from that and away from football they have a decent sense of humour. When it comes to football I could upper cut one straight between the knackers
What an ignorant post, utter tripe.

England could have been 2-0 up after 20 minutes, controlled the the midfield, swept up most Croatian attacks, dipped in and out of the game. Certainly had the players to raise the tempo.

Mings, Rice and Stones cruised it, Philips had a good game and Sterling made some fantastic runs.

They will raise the bar against Scotland.

England could have been 2-0 up after 20 minutes, controlled the the midfield, swept up most Croatian attacks, dipped in and out of the game. Certainly had the players to raise the tempo.

Mings, Rice and Stones cruised it, Philips had a good game and Sterling made some fantastic runs.

They will raise the bar against Scotland.
Looks like Scotland will struggle big time.

I think that England were a bit cautious today, with their line up, but fear that they will throw off the shackles for Scotland on Friday. Hope that I am wrong but fear the worst

And possibly because you are a older jock :)) !

You probably,like me remember a time when it was the thing to do to bait the English.And vice versa.
I live in Staffordshire.We had a lot of Scottish immigration for the mines in the 60's.My family moved from the North East of England at the same time.
I remember the old jocks,from both sides of the divide would rip it out if each other over their teams but be totally behind Scotland and each other when England v Scotland was on.
And we all loved it .I want Scotland to do well,though recently I'm not so fussed as the team has been hi jacked by the Natzi government to a degree.

And yes,I hope we pump you on Friday.Apart from that game I'm wanting you to well in general.Though that may depend if Nippy decides to be a go go dancer for the team.
I was going to like your post till that last horrible sentence.What an image.

Reactions: jtc
I've lived in England for longer and on the whole would echo your comments in the first couple of lines. However I would say that there are many, rightly or wrongly, who are quite envious of Scotland, free prescriptions, free tuition for students, free bus travel for many, etc. Also there are many who think that Sturgeon has dealt with Covid a lot more effectively than Johnson and has shown greater compassion and clarity.
You live in a different part of England than I do buddy.

I’ve lived in England for 18 years and never met anyone who hated the Scots. My wife is surprised and a bit upset by the anti-English sentiment in Scotland though,
The only Scottish person my English wife hates is me.
She got lots of “banter” / border line abuse when we were living north of the border 2011-15. Locals asking why she was up there, taking their jobs etc. When they found out I was Scottish that stopped.
On the other hand I moved south as a 9 year old. Had similar “banter” growing up myself.

There’s a world of football outside of Scotland mate. To me personally it’s just unfathomable that any football fan wouldn’t want to watch the top leagues and see the worlds best players in action. I also feel like if you only watch our games you have to have a very limited knowledge of football.
In what way is the knowledge limited?
Certainly true I'd struggle to name three Werder Bremen or West Ham players without Google but am comfortable that I understand tactics as well as most fans and better than many
Not sure why it's unfathomable some people have interests other than football that they choose to spend time on

Sterling wasteful as ever, thatll cost them against better sides.

Southgate unbalancing the side with RB at LB because hed rather play stupid safe than take any kind of risk.

Kane looks underutilised for England as opposed to Spurs where everything goes through him.

Some very good performances from newer players and a strong result cover all that up, for now. Probably fortunate its happened with the toughest game so they can grow into the tournament but really Southgate is a problem.

Sterling wasteful as ever, thatll cost them against better sides.

Southgate unbalancing the side with RB at LB because hed rather play stupid safe than take any kind of risk.

Kane looks underutilised for England as opposed to Spurs where everything goes through him.

Some very good performances from newer players and a strong result cover all that up, for now. Probably fortunate its happened with the toughest game so they can grow into the tournament but really Southgate is a problem.
All about opinions.

As an Englishman, I feel extremely comfortable that Southgate is our gaffer. He’s absolutely the least of my “concerns”.

Most English folk I speak to say exactly the same.

All about opinions.

As an Englishman, I feel extremely comfortable that Southgate is our gaffer. He’s absolutely the least of my “concerns”.

Most English folk I speak to say exactly the same.
He’s a nice guy and a safe pair of hands, won’t upset anyone or doing anything risky. Both good and ultimately at times a problem.

Fortunately England have a well established group and they’re well placed whoever is coach.

He’s a nice guy and a safe pair of hands, won’t upset anyone or doing anything risky. Both good and ultimately at times a problem.

Fortunately England have a well established group and they’re well placed whoever is coach.
He probably upset Grealish yesterday. Every man and their dog wanted him to start.

Southgate did his own thing.

I think he’s absolutely perfect for the England job, currently.

You really don't pay attention to what he does in his job do you? The first thing he did when he got the job was move guys like Rooney out of the squad to start blooding young players.

What a nonsensical post! I lived in London for 30 years and experienced no hate. I moved back in 2015, and have been abused frequently. Scotland is a cesspit of hateful bigoted anglophobes. The English generally don't give a hoot about Scotland, the hate is pretty much 1 way.

Staying off this forum for a while, the hatred towards our own country is actually disturbing. I'm going to go enjoy this amazing occasion that out here in the real world everyone is buzzing for and enjoying. You all continue living in hate.

Some of the folk who reckon England fans take no notice of Scotland clearly don’t venture onto social media. Choc full of posts mocking Scotland today, wishing another referendum so they can finally get rid of us etc etc. Not that I blame them for ripping the pish out of us mind, I’ve been doing it all day. But the idea they all wish us well or simply take no notice is laughable. I mean I’m sure some do, but plenty don’t (I’m sure they know this anyway, the fictional nonsense about them wishing us well was just a poor excuse to justify cheering on footballing rivals).

Some of the folk who reckon England fans take no notice of Scotland clearly don’t venture onto social media. Choc full of posts mocking Scotland today, wishing another referendum so they can finally get rid of us etc etc. Not that I blame them for ripping the pish out of us mind, I’ve been doing it all day. But the idea they all wish us well or simply take no notice is laughable. I mean I’m sure some do, but plenty don’t (I’m sure they know this anyway, the fictional nonsense about them wishing us well was just a poor excuse to justify cheering on footballing rivals).

The idea that it's all a "Best of British" thing from England's end whereras Scotland is some kind of SNP loving psy ops operation is utter nonsense. It's folk attempting to project their own dislike of Scottish nationalism onto a football rivalry. It is possible to separate the two, especially when Rangers are more accountable for Scottish national team players than any other club. Look at Nathan Patterson's parents at the game today.

Most of the stories are anecdotal as well. Everyone has different experiences. Half my family are English; so are my best pals. They rip it out me and Scottish football constantly, including Rangers. (I actually had an argument the other day with a guy who genuinely believed Barnsely would beat us.)

But that's all it is, rivalry in a footballing context. I would still consider myself a Unionist, despite living abroad. Likewise, I can't be arsed with fat-bellied guys from Essex who boo players taking the knee. There does seem to be a weird self-flagellation forming with some of our fans who are obsessed with telling people they don't care about Scotland.

Also have to laugh at some posts comparing Scottish pundits to English in terms of arrogance etc. I mean, what? Fair enough, Scottish pundits are terrible, but they are not even near that level of hubris. Even countries like Germany/Italy etc rip the piss out of them for it. That is just an innacurate point.

The idea that it's all a "Best of British" thing from England's end whereras Scotland is some kind of SNP loving psy ops operation is utter nonsense. It's folk attempting to project their own dislike of Scottish nationalism onto a football rivalry. It is possible to separate the two, especially when Rangers are more accountable for Scottish national team players than any other club. Look at Nathan Patterson's parents at the game today.

Most of the stories are anecdotal as well. Everyone has different experiences. Half my family are English; so are my best pals. They rip it out me and Scottish football constantly, including Rangers. (I actually had an argument the other day with a guy who genuinely believed Barnsely would beat us.)

But that's all it is, rivalry in a footballing context. I would still consider myself a Unionist, despite living abroad. Likewise, I can't be arsed with fat-bellied guys from Essex who boo players taking the knee. There does seem to be a weird self-flagellation forming with some of our fans who are obsessed with telling people they don't care about Scotland.

Also have to laugh at some posts comparing Scottish pundits to English in terms of arrogance etc. I mean, what? Fair enough, Scottish pundits are terrible, but they are not even near that level of hubris. Even countries like Germany/Italy etc rip the piss out of them for it. That is just an innacurate point.

Nail on the the head. It’s a load of bollocks fabricated by the staunch clique in an attempt to justify their support of a rival. I’d have more respect for them if they were at least honest about it instead of making shite up.

Some of the stuff that was cropping up from our own seemed a tad over the top mind, for example one or two seemed to have a dislike of English folk in general whereas I personally like England and have always gotten on well with English folk; just never cared for their football team and always found their pundits to be arrogant bastards.

Nail on the the head. It’s a load of bollocks fabricated by the staunch clique in an attempt to justify their support of a rival. I’d have more respect for them if they were at least honest about it instead of making shite up.

Some of the stuff that was cropping up from our own seemed a tad over the top mind, for example one or two seemed to have a dislike of English folk in general whereas I personally like England and have always gotten on well with English folk; just never cared for their football team and always found their pundits to be arrogant bastards.

The word embarrassing is overused on here, but when you're reading it come from Scottish people/Rangers fans supporting Czech Republic — the same folk who probably criticise Tims for supporting Ireland - it truly is embarrassing.

Not least when we're up against a bunch of pricks who are still "standing in solidarity" with Kudela. I have no time for the England national team but even I would not grudge them dishing out a pumping to those c*nts.

Back