Euro 2024 play offs tonight - Georgia v Greece, Wales v Poland, Ukraine v Iceland plus Scotland v. Northern Ireland

Yeah that’s quite remarkable.

My personal view is Scotland will be there or there or there abouts for the Euros last 16. A win against Switzerland or Hungary is achievable and that’s all it takes to have a chance of getting through

Quite how committed players are to international friendlies at this stage of the season is up for debate

The NI lads certainly outdid Scotland for endeavour, it certainly seemed to mean more to them.

Personally I wouldn’t be ecstatic if any Rangers player on international duty treated these games as a cup final.

The real football is back now, games players should exert themselves for…and the Euros will be a bridge crossed in June.
Scotland won't win a point. The manager is a dinosaur.

If it needs clarifying…Lewandowski‘s penalties are pathetic. That carry on before striking a ball ?

Really ?

It’s truely pathetic and should not be allowed. Dan James missed his kick but he didn’t strike it like a sneaky coward
You can clarify your point of view all you want, it’s still nonsense.

It is allowed, and he scores…a lot. So the only pathetic thing is you greeting about his technique and claiming the Welsh kid holds the moral high ground because he blasted his straight at the keeper.

Maniac :))

If it needs clarifying…Lewandowski‘s penalties are pathetic. That carry on before striking a ball ?

Really ?

It’s truely pathetic and should not be allowed. Dan James missed his kick but he didn’t strike it like a sneaky coward
You been on the sauce?

Lewandowski went first and scored, sort of the opposite of a coward. I’d have been fine with Ramsey tucking one away like that in Seville

There are very few players who take penalties like that.

For me it’s completely wrong.

Sure Poland have the last laugh - the bigger issue is why that’s allowed. You can’t watch that penalty and tell me it’s anything other than shocking.

Is there a more underwhelming "big" national side than Poland?

I look at their group of Dutch, French and Austria and I expect a draw and two losses, three terrible games of football and for them to exit stage left without doing anything of note.

Sure Poland have the last laugh - the bigger issue is why that’s allowed. You can’t watch that penalty and tell me it’s anything other than shocking.
For the rules of football it’s completely fine. He’s been doing it for a while, not his fault the keepers always buy it and dive before he delays the actual kick.

I don’t really see why it’s an issue, he doesn’t ever stop completely which is the only thing that’s forbidden. I’m sure if one of our players does that in a big game it’ll take the shine off for you. He stepped up first and scored, that’s the opposite of being a coward. Some may even argue it takes more bravery to take the kick that way because if it backfires he looks like a tit.

Agreed , keepers aren't allowed to sneeze when the opposing player is taking the pen , yet the pen taker can fanny about on the run up which is precisely what Lewandowski does all the time , pretty sure he missed a pen in the last Tourney the polskis were at after doing that , making himself look a dick.

Not sure. Plenty of people seem to agree that penalty is shocking.

Maybe people object to me calling Lewandowski a “coward” in the heat of the moment but plenty will agree taking a penalty in that fashion is a disgrace
No you're still wrong. Takes skill to take a penalty like that. Slow, forward movement, not stopping and then gitting it to the opposite side that the keeper has went to. More skilful than just whacking it.

Agreed , keepers aren't allowed to sneeze when the opposing player is taking the pen , yet the pen taker can fanny about on the run up which is precisely what Lewandowski does all the time , pretty sure he missed a pen in the last Tourney the polskis were at after doing that , making himself look a dick.

Completely agree pal.

People can quote the rules to me all they like, say “if a Rangers player did that…” all they like (I can’t recall a Rangers player doing that)

I still think it’s wrong. I still think it’s not in the spirit of “fair play”, whatever that counts for nowadays.

A penalty should be ran at and struck and then left in the lap of the gods. There should be no equivocation on the matter, no stuttering, no pausing.

Really ?

Certainly needed clarifying :D

Completely agree pal.

People can quote the rules to me all they like, say “if a Rangers player did that…” all they like (I can’t recall a Rangers player doing that)

I still think it’s wrong. I still think it’s not in the spirit of “fair play”, whatever that counts for nowadays.

A penalty should be ran at and struck and then left in the lap of the gods. There should be no equivocation on the matter, no stuttering, no pausing.

What about the shenannigans of the goalie on the line?

What about the shenannigans of the goalie on the line?

In a penalty shootout goalies are held to a seemingly higher standard than outfielders.

Keeper is an inch off its line and it’s re-taken.

Assume most would say fair enough to that.

So we hold the keepers to this iron standard and we let Lewandowski do a theatrical, nonsensical run up and say yep all good.

Nah, not for me.

That penalty style is an embarrassment

This is applicable for Man U as well but the occasional goal really does paper over the cracks of McTominay, he is like a a stereotypical goal hanging striker but actually playing in midfield.

He isn't great at breaking up play, he doesn't have much a pass on him or the ability to play others in.

He lives a very charmed football career

This is applicable for Man U as well but the occasional goal really does paper over the cracks of McTominay, he is like a a stereotypical goal hanging striker but actually playing in midfield.

He isn't great at breaking up play, he doesn't have much a pass on him or the ability to play others in.

He lives a very charmed football career

Marouane McFellaini.

Just saw Belgium's first goal from last night

Fully believe Pickford thought England were in the lighter strips, he looks that stupid

I will never understand why goalkeepers at shootouts don’t stay in the middle of their goal for every kick as they will save least two of them.
Bobby Zamora said on a podcast that he always hit it down the middle if the game was in the last 5 minutes or later. He believed a keeper would always dive because if they stood still and it went in the corner, they would get pelters for doing nothing. It's probably a similar thought process with penalty shootouts.

Latest posts

Back