European football trips (Not Rangers)

One of the best quality games I've seen all season between Napoli and Juve last night. Still think Napoli might sneak 4th.

1.jpg

Not long back from Belgrade, brilliant city. Done the tour of the Marakana, then went to Partizan home match after, 3-1 win. Beer illegal in the stadium but some guy selling tins wrapped with paper around them to hide it. Tickets were given out for free on Saturday. Shame the Ultras are protesting home games but decent crowd none the less. Met a Rangers fan living over there who drove us to his mates pub after and we drank them dry of whiskey. Done the Partizan basketball last night at the Stark Arena which was really cool.

Very friendly locals, going to go to the derby next season, Rangers guy sits with the Ultras and said we will be safe going in there with him so that's too good an opportunity to turn down.

Last edited:
Just back from Serbia, the Derby was wild! If it happened over here it would be front page news for weeks, and the hand wringing would be off the scale.

watched the videos, looked class! What did you think of Belgrade?

I didn't see much of Belgrade as we stayed in Novi Sad (which is a great place)

Atmosphere was electric at the game, hundreds of flares thrown at the police who also didn't care one bit when several fires were started in the partizan end. Chairs being flung all over the place, player jumping out of his skin when a banger goes off at his feet as he's taking a corner, and the ref just tells him to get on with it :)) Just brilliant to experience and the game was pretty good as well

Atmosphere was electric at the game, hundreds of flares thrown at the police who also didn't care one bit when several fires were started in the partizan end. Chairs being flung all over the place, player jumping out of his skin when a banger goes off at his feet as he's taking a corner, and the ref just tells him to get on with it :)) Just brilliant to experience and the game was pretty good as well

What was your method of transport and route for getting to Novi Sad? Would love to go around that area by train, tends to be a bit limited though I think.

What was your method of transport and route for getting to Novi Sad? Would love to go around that area by train, tends to be a bit limited though I think.

There is a new train line, regular and 30 mins on the fast one. Didn't make it ourselves but will do next year.

A 1990's Volkswagen transporter !

We were going to do the train, but the late kick off and being kept in for over an hour made it a bit of a pain.

That line (Belgrade to Novi Sad is being extended to Budapest in 2025.

https://www.railfreight.com/railfre...-to-be-ready-by-2025-says-hungarian-minister/

That’s good to know, could do with something between Belgrade, Sarajevo, Split and Rijeka ideally - unless it already exists.

Just travelling around by road or did you fly out there and hire it?

That’s good to know, could do with something between Belgrade, Sarajevo, Split and Rijeka ideally - unless it already exists.

Just travelling around by road or did you fly out there and hire it?
Flights and we knew a local, who made all the arrangements, they looked after us brilliantly :)

Regarding other train lines, this site is great, but you will see that trains in the area are generally garbage or non existent.

https://www.seat61.com/international-trains/trains-from-Belgrade.htm#Sarajevo

Old colleague of mine got me into the Napoli/Juve game through hospitality so went for a more authentic experience for Torino on Friday night. Managed to get okay tickets looking onto the pitch, but your typical group of Neapolitan nutters had commandeered our seats in the section, meaning we ended up at the curva where the view wasn't great.

Was a couple of mates first game and they seemed to enjoy it which was the main thing (think you can see me with a fag and beer as the team celebrated the goal :D). I'd definitely avoid that area of the stadium for future games, though.

1.jpg

Last edited:
Flights and we knew a local, who made all the arrangements, they looked after us brilliantly :)

Regarding other train lines, this site is great, but you will see that trains in the area are generally garbage or non existent.

https://www.seat61.com/international-trains/trains-from-Belgrade.htm#Sarajevo

I went from Budapest to Zagreb last summer by train, took about 7 hours, broke it up by stopping at Siofok for a few hours. No buffet car on train! You stop off in some deserted places, interesting experiences.

Been keeping an eye on ths thread and can finally offer a worthwhile contribution. I'm going on a mates stag do to Amsterdam in April so have sorted us all tickets to see AZ Alkmaar vs RKC Waalwijk on the Saturday night and then I've got myself a ticket to see Ajax on the Sunday while they're all hungover and feeling sorry for themselves. Can't wait!

Been keeping an eye on ths thread and can finally offer a worthwhile contribution. I'm going on a mates stag do to Amsterdam in April so have sorted us all tickets to see AZ Alkmaar vs RKC Waalwijk on the Saturday night and then I've got myself a ticket to see Ajax on the Sunday while they're all hungover and feeling sorry for themselves. Can't wait!
Ajax Stadium is one of the best I’ve been to in Europe. We done the tour when we played PSV 18 months ago and then we were back 2 weeks later to see us play there.

As others have said, Belgrade Derby was a great experience and I'd say the Crazy North lived up to it's name.

Entry was interesting, just a little waist-high turnstile with a gap at the side to walk around, which plenty were doing. What ever the official attendance was, safe to say you can add a few thousand on to it. Decided to stand on the concourse up the back which was fine when I went in but at KO there wasn't much room to move if you wanted to actually see the game.

There was just constantly something going on (or off) in the stands at both ends, pyro, fireworks, flashbangs, bonfires!

Liked Belgrade as a city, quite large and sprawling to have a good walk around and take it in. Also went to a local game on the Sunday and met quite a few Dutch and German groundhoppers there. The ground had a little clubhouse bar selling beers for about a quid so it was a good way to spend a couple hours. All in all a great weekend.

As others have said, Belgrade Derby was a great experience and I'd say the Crazy North lived up to it's name.

Entry was interesting, just a little waist-high turnstile with a gap at the side to walk around, which plenty were doing. What ever the official attendance was, safe to say you can add a few thousand on to it. Decided to stand on the concourse up the back which was fine when I went in but at KO there wasn't much room to move if you wanted to actually see the game.

There was just constantly something going on (or off) in the stands at both ends, pyro, fireworks, flashbangs, bonfires!

Liked Belgrade as a city, quite large and sprawling to have a good walk around and take it in. Also went to a local game on the Sunday and met quite a few Dutch and German groundhoppers there. The ground had a little clubhouse bar selling beers for about a quid so it was a good way to spend a couple hours. All in all a great weekend.

Sure I saw an attendance of 49,000 odd. Looks like one of the best attended derbies in years, think Partizan boycotting home matches will have helped a lot. It’s rare you hear anyone say they don’t have a good trip, glad you and others enjoyed it.

Belgrade derby is definitely on the bucket list next season, if it was so close to Benfica away I would've done it.

Sure I saw an attendance of 49,000 odd. Looks like one of the best attended derbies in years, think Partizan boycotting home matches will have helped a lot. It’s rare you hear anyone say they don’t have a good trip, glad you and others enjoyed it.
Got talking to some English guys that were there with Homefans - their guide told them they'd reduced the segration between fans to get more Partizan in, apparently 12k of them but not sure how accurate.

As an aside, if anyone's thinking about booking with a tour company for a groundhopping trip, what the English guys I spoke to described didn't sound great. They said they were in a dive of a hotel about 10 stops on the bus outside the city centre. They also get transport tickets (cost about a quid a day I think), match tickets and a guide on matchday. Think the guides also book an evening meal for them someplace.

If you don't have the confidence to organise a trip yourself then maybe it's a decent option, but it didn't appeal to me, or seem like good value, from what I heard.

Got talking to some English guys that were there with Homefans - their guide told them they'd reduced the segration between fans to get more Partizan in, apparently 12k of them but not sure how accurate.

As an aside, if anyone's thinking about booking with a tour company for a groundhopping trip, what the English guys I spoke to described didn't sound great. They said they were in a dive of a hotel about 10 stops on the bus outside the city centre. They also get transport tickets (cost about a quid a day I think), match tickets and a guide on matchday. Think the guides also book an evening meal for them someplace.

If you don't have the confidence to organise a trip yourself then maybe it's a decent option, but it didn't appeal to me, or seem like good value, from what I heard.
Have heard similar stories about Homefans. Basically pay for their marketing and the guides trip when you book with them. Much better value in sorting these things yourself imo. I accept that some folk might not be confident enough to do that right enough.

Anyone happen to know when Bundesliga.2 fixtures will be confirmed for the start of May?
They should be out the middle of March so hopefully within the next week or so.

As an aside, I'm off to Dusseldorf on 21st April. Will either take in Fortuna V Furth or Koln V Darmstadt - haven't yet decided.

Those Belgrade derby pics look class @TerryArcade. I've got a ropey molar tooth that will cost a fortune to replace with an implant in Germany, but apparently the dental work there is just as good and about 5 times cheaper. May need to tie it in with a wee weekend jaunt for one of those games before the end of the year :cool:

Those Belgrade derby pics look class @TerryArcade. I've got a ropey molar tooth that will cost a fortune to replace with an implant in Germany, but apparently the dental work there is just as good and about 5 times cheaper. May need to tie it in with a wee weekend jaunt for one of those games before the end of the year :cool:
Sounds like it would be fiscally irresponsible not to go then! :D

Looking at going to Madrid for the Real vs Man City game on the Tuesday then Atletico vs Dortmund on the Wednesday. Anyone know the chances of getting tickets?

Watched a few YouTubers that done the Belgrade derby, was that the first one that sold out in recent years? Any particular reason why other than a title race?

Watched a few YouTubers that done the Belgrade derby, was that the first one that sold out in recent years? Any particular reason why other than a title race?

Just watched the "away days" YouTube post. Looked a cracker. Defo on my to do list now

Anyone happen to know when Bundesliga.2 fixtures will be confirmed for the start of May?

It’s next week mate:

I find that the best site for info on that front, they always tell you the dates the next batch will be realised.

The exact schedule for the remaining Bundesliga and Bundesliga 2 matches in the current 2023-24 season is expected to be announced calendar week 12 (18-22 March).

Partizan boycotting home games will have played a part in it.

Article is from last year and it’s still ongoing:

Looking at going to Madrid for the Real vs Man City game on the Tuesday then Atletico vs Dortmund on the Wednesday. Anyone know the chances of getting tickets?

I think they’ll be very hard for both, you might have a shot with Atletico. Going to their match with Girona the weekend before , they have all kinds of viewing experiences if you are willing to fork the cash out. 290 euros per person to have your own penalty shoot out on the pitch as well!

It’s next week mate:

I find that the best site for info on that front, they always tell you the dates the next batch will be realised.

The exact schedule for the remaining Bundesliga and Bundesliga 2 matches in the current 2023-24 season is expected to be announced calendar week 12 (18-22 March).
Thanks mate, much appreciated. Looking at Hamburg vs St Pauli and Hannover vs Paderborn.

Thanks mate, much appreciated. Looking at Hamburg vs St Pauli and Hannover vs Paderborn.

Get dived in on any Ryanair pal. I messed about and one went from £25 to £250 in the last week! Was Edinburgh to Hamburg end of April to go watch Rostock.

I think they’ll be very hard for both, you might have a shot with Atletico. Going to their match with Girona the weekend before , they have all kinds of viewing experiences if you are willing to fork the cash out. 290 euros per person to have your own penalty shoot out on the pitch as well!

It's an amazing stadium man. I know the old ground was special to a lot of their fans but I think the atmosphere in the new one is something else. The noise is unreal when they get going.

One of my favourite parts is the big flag they've put up just outside the ground (it is, ultimately a flag, but I think it's literally the biggest flag in all of Spain). Looks really impressive.

This video is worth watching for the reaction to the two goals, and also the banger landing at the corner (5.35)
:))

Not that I condone that kind of behaviour

Saw that at the time and thought the boy dealt with it pretty calmly. If that was me, I'd have hit the deck immediately then had to go off to change my shorts.

It's an amazing stadium man. I know the old ground was special to a lot of their fans but I think the atmosphere in the new one is something else. The noise is unreal when they get going.

One of my favourite parts is the big flag they've put up just outside the ground (it is, ultimately a flag, but I think it's literally the biggest flag in all of Spain). Looks really impressive.

It seems to be the one stadium that’s carried on a great atmosphere, looking forward to it and intrigued to see that and also the paving stones they have of players who’ve played for them. Going to try and do the museum as well, did the old one but can’t remember much of it now.

Has anyone any experience of watching football in Helsinki and Trondheim?

I'm pricing a July trip to have 3 nights in Helsinki to see a couple games, and then flying to Trondheim to watch Rosenborg on the Sunday.

Before booking I'm curious as to not only getting tickets, but how likely games are to be moved between now and then?

Anyone who has been Atletico lately please - are there many taxis about after the match? Going next month and they've put them on at 14:00 and Vallecano at 16:15, looks under 15 mins between the two by road so thinking about doing Vallecano as well. Have been once before and enjoyed the atmosphere around the place.

Also anyone done The Bernabeu tour lately, wondering if it worth it with the building work on? Probably going to do that. Also has anyone been around the Atletico Museum on a match day and also done Legends in the centre of Madrid?

Was thinking of doing Zaragoza the Sunday but the train is 110 euros!

Thanks all.

Anyone who has been Atletico lately please - are there many taxis about after the match? Going next month and they've put them on at 14:00 and Vallecano at 16:15, looks under 15 mins between the two by road so thinking about doing Vallecano as well. Have been once before and enjoyed the atmosphere around the place.

Also anyone done The Bernabeu tour lately, wondering if it worth it with the building work on? Probably going to do that. Also has anyone been around the Atletico Museum on a match day and also done Legends in the centre of Madrid?

Thanks all.
I've seen alot of recent reviews on TripAdvisor with folk saying the Real Madrid stadium tour is a waste of money at the moment.

I've seen alot of recent reviews on TripAdvisor with folk saying the Real Madrid stadium tour is a waste of money at the moment.

I was thinking this, sure someone said that on here recently. Might just do the museum if it possible, will be going for a match at some point so may just leave it for then.

Thanks all.
My two brothers done the Bernabeu tour in December and said it was horrendous. Like being toured around a building site, and many features weren’t included.

My two brothers done the Bernabeu tour in December and said it was horrendous. Like being toured around a building site, and many features weren’t included.

Think I will leave it:

The current tour is reduced and is disrupted by the renovation works being carried out on the stadium.
For a temporary period, visits to the changing rooms, the VIP box, the mixed zone and the press room will be unavailable.

Was it easy enough to get tickets TMP ? Belgrade's on my radar.

What's the average ticket price for Real Madrid fellas? My boy keeps asking about doing it, and must say I'm very tempted myself given the lineup they are going to have next season.

It seems to be the one stadium that’s carried on a great atmosphere, looking forward to it and intrigued to see that and also the paving stones they have of players who’ve played for them. Going to try and do the museum as well, did the old one but can’t remember much of it now.
I did it a couple of years ago, I recommend it. Even on non match days the wee bars along the front of the main entrance are open.

I did it a couple of years ago, I recommend it. Even on non match days the wee bars along the front of the main entrance are open.

Did have the impression there wasn’t much around it but sounds like there are plenty of bars around Las Musas Metro. Are you meaning bars built in to the stadium?

Back