European football trips (Not Rangers)

Posted this in another thread.

Got back from Hansa Rostock v HSV this morning, match finished 2-2, got into the ground 10 minutes late because of police taking forever to bus the away supporters to the stadium (shambles) good noise from both supports once inside.

Went home via Berlin, but HSV fans heading back to Hamburg got held for 6 hours just one stop outside Hamburg central as the police were looking for folk involved in trouble with Dortmund supporters a few months ago.

St Pauli had a banner today "6 hours in Begdorf and you didn't deserve it!" Find that a bit weird but different cultures I guess?

Hoping to do Dusseldorf away after our Europa League match (draw dependant).

Absolute nightmare isn't it, did they just transfer the ticket to your passolig?
Yeah mate gave them my passolig and then was able to get it on Passo but there was an issue the ticket disappeared, I think it was my fault clicking all the buttons in Turkish though and deleted the account.

Went to the ticket office and they sorted it.

It is a nightmare but in fairness it any time there was an issue we sorted it easily.

The tickets actually sold out so had the Ankaragucu Rangers fan from here (@Gecekondu I think) using his contacts trying to get us tickets in the away end, Fenerbahçe wouldn’t let us because we had neutral passolig accounts. Actually had a couple of them messaging me on Twitter making sure we were good so we’ve all developed a soft spot for them and if we ever go back to Turkey for football I’ll be going there.

Posted this in another thread.

Got back from Hansa Rostock v HSV this morning, match finished 2-2, got into the ground 10 minutes late because of police taking forever to bus the away supporters to the stadium (shambles) good noise from both supports once inside.

Went home via Berlin, but HSV fans heading back to Hamburg got held for 6 hours just one stop outside Hamburg central as the police were looking for folk involved in trouble with Dortmund supporters a few months ago.

St Pauli had a banner today "6 hours in Begdorf and you didn't deserve it!" Find that a bit weird but different cultures I guess?

Hoping to do Dusseldorf away after our Europa League match (draw dependant).
How difficult would it be to get a ticket for HSV away games in general?

Thinking about going later in the year, I want hold off to see the fixtures but if I knew there would be a decent chance for at least some grounds I’d probably just book anyway.

How difficult would it be to get a ticket for HSV away games in general?

Thinking about going later in the year, I want hold off to see the fixtures but if I knew there would be a decent chance for at least some grounds I’d probably just book anyway.
That was my first away match I think it was one of the more difficult fixtures to get a ticket for, my mate is lucky enough to have a good contact over there for tickets.

Easiest ground would probably be Hertha for away tickets.

That was my first away match I think it was one of the more difficult fixtures to get a ticket for, my mate is lucky enough to have a good contact over there for tickets.

I was at Hertha v Hamburg a few weeks ago (was in home section right beside away fans). Section was full of Hamburg fans.

For people trying to do Hamburg away, without contacts, then best bet is section right beside away fans.

I was at Hertha v Hamburg a few weeks ago (was in home section right beside away fans). Section was full of Hamburg fans.

For people trying to do Hamburg away, without contacts, then best bet is section right beside away fans.
I see they have a membership scheme is that worth getting or am I able to buy tickets without one (mainly home games I mean)

I see they have a membership scheme is that worth getting or am I able to buy tickets without one (mainly home games I mean)

Hamburg tend to be the dearest in Bundesliga 2 for tickets. You might need one for the run in, they sold out a few start of season.

Seen this the other day:

Nuremberg is another one where a big away allocation is dished out in that league.

Seen this the other day:

Nuremberg is another one where a big away allocation is dished out in that league.

Yeah, was the same set up for Hamburg.

Put big divider up yet everyone going through home gates were in Hamburg colours too think Hamburg took 20,000+ fans.

Reading Magdeburg took 17,000 on Friday.

Was at Hertha v Bayern 5 or 6 years ago and you could just walk round the full stadium.

Yeah, was the same set up for Hamburg.

Put big divider up yet everyone going through home gates were in Hamburg colours too think Hamburg took 20,000+ fans.

Reading Magdeburg took 17,000 on Friday.

Was at Hertha v Bayern 5 or 6 years ago and you could just walk round the full stadium.

Just looking at my pics, divide was to the left of a-f.

Looks a better set up for Magdeburg and probably learned from Hamburg game. Looks like they blocked off from halfway for Magdeburg?

Anyone know if I'll be able to turn up on the day and get a ticket for Napoli vs. Juventus? They went on sale today but requires some kind of fan/loyalty card.

Stadium never looks full on TV but I guess this is one of the biggest games.

Anyone know if I'll be able to turn up on the day and get a ticket for Napoli vs. Juventus? They went on sale today but requires some kind of fan/loyalty card.

Stadium never looks full on TV but I guess this is one of the biggest games.

Bought mine from a betting shop next to the stadium on match day mate, was v Inter on Epiphany Monday a couple of years ago though - wasn't an in demand fixture. Do have a number of a tout in Naples if you need it.

Sounds like some great trips - I look forward to reading about them.

We'll be in Argentina in February and have sorted out Boca tickets. This time I'll be taking the kids. Their only previous experience at a game was Rangers-Hamburg last Summer. This will prove a different environment.
Was that easy enough?

Bought mine from a betting shop next to the stadium on match day mate, was v Inter on Epiphany Monday a couple of years ago though - wasn't an in demand fixture. Do have a number of a tout in Naples if you need it.

Knew you'd come through as always, bud! Appreciate that. Might give you a shout on the day if I can't get one.

Was that easy enough?

My wife's from there so we got our tickets through a friend's nephew. The nephew told me he can help any time we (or a friend) need a ticket. If anyone on here is going and you seem a decent sort, I'm happy to put you in touch when you're in BA.

There are always tickets through the likes of HomeFans, albeit they can be pricey.

My wife's from there so we got our tickets through a friend's nephew. The nephew told me he can help any time we (or a friend) need a ticket. If anyone on here is going and you seem a decent sort, I'm happy to put you in touch when you're in BA.

There are always tickets through the likes of HomeFans, albeit they can be pricey.
Incredible. Enjoy.

I'm aiming to see a game there in the near future.

What’s the best match you’ve seen over there would you say mate? Newells and River are my aims but I’d love to spend a few months over there watching Football.

Although I read Besiktas are keeping the same system but hopefully in a more simpler way.

Where’s your next trip?

Madrid in April mate, Atletico v Girona and hoping to maybe get to Zaragoza but keen to go back to Vallecano, lively atmosphere there in the streets. You?

In Krakow before Xmas and saw KS Cracovia Ruch Churzow 15th v 17th, standard of football wasn’t much better than some league 1 games here but for an £8 ticket behind the goals I got 1 red card, 2 VAR penalties and a 4-4 draw not bad considering it had been snowing for the previous 2 days nonstop

Madrid in April mate, Atletico v Girona and hoping to maybe get to Zaragoza but keen to go back to Vallecano, lively atmosphere there in the streets. You?
I’ve nothing booked other than a week for the Euros.

I think I’ll do the Belgrade derby whenever the first one of next season is, I assume September/October. Hamburg maybe October/November.

Right now there’s nothing else sticking out so if you have any recommendations (I’m sure you’re sick of giving them) then I’m looking for some inspiration. Probably not in Germany though seeing as I’m already going probably twice.

I don’t really care about the standard of football so if there’s any hidden gems, I’m open to it.

I think I’ll do the Belgrade derby whenever the first one of next season is, I assume September/October. Hamburg maybe October/November.

Right now there’s nothing else sticking out so if you have any recommendations (I’m sure you’re sick of giving them) then I’m looking for some inspiration. Probably not in Germany though seeing as I’m already going probably twice.

I don’t really care about the standard of football so if there’s any hidden gems, I’m open to it.
I'm the same as you. Usually try and go out around this time of year to see some European football, but also mindful that I'm in Germany for just over a week for the R16 and QF's.

I was due to do 2 short trips, but it actually worked out cheaper to cancel my QF flexible flight ticket and just stay out for the week rather than coming back for 1 day of work. Extended the trip by building in a stop in Leipzig for the last day of R16. Gives me the option of Hamburg/Berlin OR Stuttgart/Dusseldorf based on if England finish 3rd or 1st/2nd in the group and get through the R16. Those 29 Eur trains for ticket holders are brilliant.

Just need to hope I get tickets on the resale portal for the non England games but my trip will tick off Dortmund, Gelsenkirchen, Dusseldorf, Leipzig and then Stuttgart/Dusseldorf OR Berlin/Hamburg. Can't wait. Failing that, will go down the Ticombo route as a last resort. Will save my pennies and forgo the normal Spring trip just incase.

Lodz in Poland is a good place for Football and a decent drink and night out etc, I enjoyed Zagreb as well for the match with Split last year. Really enjoyed Stockholm but that was dear, good place for Football though.

Anyone in to Ultras culture should experience the sud at Hansa Rostock and K Block Dynamo Dresden in my opinion as well.

Last edited:
Lodz in Poland is a good place for Football and a decent drink and night out etc, I enjoyed Zagreb as well for the match with Split last year. Really enjoyed Stockholm but that was dear, good place for Football though.
I’ll check them out.

I’m trying to tick off as many countries as possible, I still need to do Sweden while Stockholm looks good I think I might try and tick off Sweden and Denmark (Malmo/Helsingborg & Copenhagen) in the same weekend purely down to how expensive the whole area is.

I’d recommend Porto as a city to anyone reading in, quite like a city on a river/ocean with decent weather.

I’ve looked at Montenegro but there doesn’t seem to be much of a football culture, Podgorica probably the only option although Budva and Tivat look decent but Arsenal Tivat only had 250 last game. Have you been?

I’ll check them out.

I’m trying to tick off as many countries as possible, I still need to do Sweden while Stockholm looks good I think I might try and tick off Sweden and Denmark (Malmo/Helsingborg & Copenhagen) in the same weekend purely down to how expensive the whole area is.

I’d recommend Porto as a city to anyone reading in, quite like a city on a river/ocean with decent weather.

I’ve looked at Montenegro but there doesn’t seem to be much of a football culture, Podgorica probably the only option although Budva and Tivat look decent but Arsenal Tivat only had 250 last game. Have you been?

Added a bit to that post just then. Parma was really good as well I thought but Italy as a whole is superb.

Never been there no mate, I only really go places with a real football tradition - probably a bit ignorant that but Montenegro would never stand out to me on that front.

I'm the same as you. Usually try and go out around this time of year to see some European football, but also mindful that I'm in Germany for just over a week for the R16 and QF's.

I was due to do 2 short trips, but it actually worked out cheaper to cancel my QF flexible flight ticket and just stay out for the week rather than coming back for 1 day of work. Extended the trip by building in a stop in Leipzig for the last day of R16. Gives me the option of Hamburg/Berlin OR Stuttgart/Dusseldorf based on if England finish 3rd or 1st/2nd in the group and get through the R16. Those 29 Eur trains for ticket holders are brilliant.

Just need to hope I get tickets on the resale portal for the non England games but my trip will tick off Dortmund, Gelsenkirchen, Dusseldorf, Leipzig and then Stuttgart/Dusseldorf OR Berlin/Hamburg. Can't wait. Failing that, will go down the Ticombo route as a last resort. Will save my pennies and forgo the normal Spring trip just incase.
I don’t actually have tickets for the Euros nor am I planning to get any unless there’s some going spare.

I’m going as a Scotland fan with a group of my mates but doesn’t feel right to me to take one away from a genuine Scottish fan, I’ve been to one Scotland game ever.

Just going for the experience and the piss up so I don’t even really think I can call it a football trip.

Added a bit to that post just then. Parma was really good as well I thought but Italy as a whole is superb.

Never been there no mate, I only really go places with a real football tradition - probably a bit ignorant that but Montenegro would never stand out to me on that front.
Parma is appealing, got a mate who wants to go to see Bologna and they’re nearby so with a bit of luck we can tick them both off. He’s actually in Naples this weekend with his girlfriend’s family, he was a bit gutted when he noticed Napoli were away but he’s off to Salernitana vs Monza instead.

I’ve never been to Italy, left it out because thought I’d tick it off with a Rangers game pretty easily but it’s not happened yet, heard good things so Parma/Bologna trip sounds ideal.

I’ve been fascinated with Hansa Rostock since I seen videos of their fans while in the 3 Liga. A proper fan base that.

What’s the best match you’ve seen over there would you say mate? Newells and River are my aims but I’d love to spend a few months over there watching Football.

Given the wife's allegiances, I've only been to Boca (as well as a few local amateur games). I'd love to go to Monumental, for example, but I have to be respectful.

When the kids are a little older, we’ll go elsewhere. They had their first experience of Boca last weekend and enjoyed it. I fancy Racing and Argentinos. A friend supports Nueva Chicago - that would be quite the experience!

In terms of tickets, February is a good time - start of the season, end of the Summer (people still out of the city), although it can be hot.

Happy to put you in touch with ‘the nephew’; he charged us $50 per ticket.

Yep, that sounds like an amazing idea, just a few months watching various games. I look forward to your book!

Given the wife's allegiances, I've only been to Boca (as well as a few local amateur games). I'd love to go to Monumental, for example, but I have to be respectful.

When the kids are a little older, we’ll go elsewhere. They had their first experience of Boca last weekend and enjoyed it. I fancy Racing and Argentinos. A friend supports Nueva Chicago - that would be quite the experience!

In terms of tickets, February is a good time - start of the season, end of the Summer (people still out of the city), although it can be hot.

Happy to put you in touch with ‘the nephew’; he charged us $50 per ticket.

Yep, that sounds like an amazing idea, just a few months watching various games. I look forward to your book!

Thanks mate. Really appreciate that, kind offer.

Was in Vienna for the weekend and picked up tickets for the derby between Rapid and Austria Vienna. This was my first trip abroad for football as a neutral and I wasn't disappointed- Rapid blew them away first half with three goals and saw it out second half. Incredible atmosphere from both fans- singing for the full 90 and pyro galore, causing the game to be stopped for 5-10 minutes.

Decent standard, the wingers for both teams were the standouts for me- Marco Grull who scored the third and Frans Kratzig who's on loan from Bayern.

It's something I've been wanting to do for years, go abroad and take in whatever games are on in the area. The level isn't really important, just wanting to tick off some grounds and sample some different atmospheres. The guys I go to Rangers with aren't really prepared to miss any games so it was always spoken about but never materialised unfortunately.

The transport system there is a doddle so very easy to get around the area and to the ground, which is just a few minutes from the last underground stop.

Was in Vienna for the weekend and picked up tickets for the derby between Rapid and Austria Vienna. This was my first trip abroad for football as a neutral and I wasn't disappointed- Rapid blew them away first half with three goals and saw it out second half. Incredible atmosphere from both fans- singing for the full 90 and pyro galore, causing the game to be stopped for 5-10 minutes.

Decent standard, the wingers for both teams were the standouts for me- Marco Grull who scored the third and Frans Kratzig who's on loan from Bayern.

It's something I've been wanting to do for years, go abroad and take in whatever games are on in the area. The level isn't really important, just wanting to tick off some grounds and sample some different atmospheres. The guys I go to Rangers with aren't really prepared to miss any games so it was always spoken about but never materialised unfortunately.

The transport system there is a doddle so very easy to get around the area and to the ground, which is just a few minutes from the last underground stop.
Also looked at doing this at the weekend with a mate but it never materialised. Was quite surprised at how easy it seemed to pick up a ticket for the game.

Rapid’s Ultras are one of the most impressive groups across Europe in my opinion. Some of their Tifos have been incredible.

Seen a few pictures from this one on the European Football Weekends Facebook group. Looked like a cracker. Hope you enjoyed it. That Facebook group is well worth a follow for ideas on trips.

Also looked at doing this at the weekend with a mate but it never materialised. Was quite surprised at how easy it seemed to pick up a ticket for the game.

Rapid’s Ultras are one of the most impressive groups across Europe in my opinion. Some of their Tifos have been incredible.

Aye they were impressive, little pockets of pyro throughout the game from their end behind the goal. Fair play to Austria Vienna too, never stopped.
Seen a few pictures from this one on the European Football Weekends Facebook group. Looked like a cracker. Hope you enjoyed it. That Facebook group is well worth a follow for ideas on trips.

That's where I got the idea to go- someone posted a while back that general sale tickets went on sale on this date and really shouldn't be an issue to pick some up.

Too many friendships for me, they must have over 10 at least.

It reminds me a lot of Munich Vienna, transport system is a carbon copy really. Went a few years ago to a friendly, decent set of bars around the Stadium.

Never really looked into that tbh. Know that they have a very strong friendship with Nuremberg but aside from that didn’t know about the others.
Panathinakos and Ferencervaros are the other main 2. They tend to pop up at many other Clubs though. Think Venezia was other strong one they had. They are very organised, a fair few were at the cup match in Rostock on a Wednesday a few years ago where half the away support was detained at 1pm for the day!

I was at this one too and agree with what you said in another post about the fans, I was in the standing end and the noise was pretty impressive.

Also went to Admira v SV Ried in the morning and that was another cracking game, Admira won 3-2 with an injury time penalty. It was a nice little older style ground although the attendance wasn't anywhere near to capacity.

Would recommend Vienna for a footballing weekend.

I was at this one too and agree with what you said in another post about the fans, I was in the standing end and the noise was pretty impressive.

Also went to Admira v SV Ried in the morning and that was another cracking game, Admira won 3-2 with an injury time penalty. It was a nice little older style ground although the attendance wasn't anywhere near to capacity.

Would recommend Vienna for a footballing weekend.

One Club I always remember as a kid Admira Wacker, always sounded a cool name! Looked them up a few year ago and saw they have had many different names, bit like Austria Salzburg who were called Casino Salzburg at one point before the Red Bull carry on. Must be the nation with the most sponsors in club names in Europe Austria. Just looked where they actually are, pretty straight forward by train from central Vienna if that’s what you did?

You can do the Belgrade Derby for roughly €300 plus flights

You’ll be able to get in there for under a fiver pal and decent hotels for about 50 a night tops. It’s very, very easy for tickets official.

Cost me £3.40 online off them in 2019.

Last edited:
One Club I always remember as a kid Admira Wacker, always sounded a cool name! Looked them up a few year ago and saw they have had many different names, bit like Austria Salzburg who were called Casino Salzburg at one point before the Red Bull carry on. Must be the nation with the most sponsors in club names in Europe Austria. Just looked where they actually are, pretty straight forward by train from central Vienna if that’s what you did?
I remember the Wacker name too for similar reasons. I'm sure I heard the Ultras mention Wacker in some of their songs so presumably they still see that as their traditional name. I noticed on the scoreboard there that the Ried crest also had some weird name on it I didn't recognise, probably another sponsor.

Yeah it's easy enough to get to, direct line from the centre takes a little under an hour, and the station there is just a few mins walk to the ground. A nice old school looking ground.

What a great thread to discover, surprised I've missed this.

Went abroad for the first time last year to watch football, and looking to make more trips to new places going forward, starting next week with a first ever trip to Italy, to take in a game at the San Siro.

Most memorable last year was probably the weekend in Munich in December, where i saw 4 games, mainly 1860 Munich playing at the Grünwalder, and then Bayern vs Wolfsburg at the Bayern Campus in the Frauen Bundesliga.

There is a whole world of football out there to be discovered, I just wish I'd started to discover it a long time ago.

Back