European football trips (Not Rangers)

What a great thread to discover, surprised I've missed this.

Went abroad for the first time last year to watch football, and looking to make more trips to new places going forward, starting next week with a first ever trip to Italy, to take in a game at the San Siro.

Most memorable last year was probably the weekend in Munich in December, where i saw 4 games, mainly 1860 Munich playing at the Grünwalder, and then Bayern vs Wolfsburg at the Bayern Campus in the Frauen Bundesliga.

There is a whole world of football out there to be discovered, I just wish I'd started to discover it a long time ago.

Find it very addictive myself, easier to do alone really as you can get the cheap flights etc… and no hanging about for people. I’ve too much on but I was really tempted to do this in a few week:

Constantly looking at trips and sussing out how to get places personally. Like to get 2/3 matches in per trip, easily done once you get confident at it I have found. Plenty of cheap flights and different routes from all over Britain now.

Last edited:
Find it very addictive myself, easier to do alone really as you can get the cheap flights etc… and no hanging about for people. I’ve too much on but I was really tempted to do this in a few week:

Constantly looking at trips and sussing out how to get places personally. Like to get 2/3 matches in per trip, easily done once you get confident at it I have found. Plenty of cheap flights and different routes from all over Britain now.
I'm hoping to go on to do more trips wherein get to take in at least 2 or 3 games, finding the Futbology app was a godsend. Shame I can't properly backtrack all of our past games I've been to on it, but its fantastic for finding games that are on and directions to get there.

Solo travelling is new to me, so a whole different experience that has benefits like you mention.

I'm hoping to go on to do more trips wherein get to take in at least 2 or 3 games, finding the Futbology app was a godsend. Shame I can't properly backtrack all of our past games I've been to on it, but its fantastic for finding games that are on and directions to get there.

Solo travelling is new to me, so a whole different experience that has benefits like you mention.

Did this one a few weeks ago. Flew to Charleroi and then went to watch Sint Truiden the Friday night, stayed in the Hotel attached to the Stadium, then on to Liege to watch them Saturday afternoon before going on to Dortmund Saturday night where I stayed till Monday - went to Osnabruck the Sunday. Just went between all the places by train before flying back from Cologne Monday. Lockers at stations are a god send for me, make things so much easier.

Last edited:
Went when we played Dortmund to kill some time. It's decent if your in Dortmund do it, if you plan to travel to just do that a wouldn't bother, right across from the main station if a remember rightly.

It’s right outside it isn’t it, think there’s only really that and the Football Stadium in Dortmund worth seeing - not the liveliest of places.

What a great thread to discover, surprised I've missed this.

Went abroad for the first time last year to watch football, and looking to make more trips to new places going forward, starting next week with a first ever trip to Italy, to take in a game at the San Siro.

Most memorable last year was probably the weekend in Munich in December, where i saw 4 games, mainly 1860 Munich playing at the Grünwalder, and then Bayern vs Wolfsburg at the Bayern Campus in the Frauen Bundesliga.

There is a whole world of football out there to be discovered, I just wish I'd started to discover it a long time ago.

Always think Grunwalder and seeing 1860 play is one people should make an effort to do when visiting Munich, it’s in proper 1860 territory in Giesing - some good pubs about. Went to a few amateur derbies when I was out there at the Grunwalder that were lively, it’ll be a huge fixture when there eventually is a Munich derby again one day. Good fanscene 1860, they travel really well. Both Training facilities are nearby, as was really surprised how you could just walk in at Sabener Straße and the 1860 has a good little pub full of memorabilia.

Last edited:
Always think Grunwalder and seeing 1860 play is one people should make an effort to do when visiting Munich, it’s in proper 1860 territory in Giesing - some good pubs about. Went to a few amateur derbies when I was out there at the Grunwalder that were lively, it’ll be a huge fixture when there eventually is a Munich derby again one day. Good fanscene 1860, they travel really well. Both Training facilities are nearby, as was really surprised how you could just walk in at Sabener Straße and the 1860 has a good little pub full of memorabilia.
It was a great experience, felt like a throwback to what I imagine it was like going to football in the 70s and 80s. Also gave me the feeling of the old Police Academy films

But I would agree, if anybody is in Munich and has a chance to see a game here, it's a must visit.

Has anyone on here ever been to the Stockholm derby between Djurgardens and Hammarby? Potentially looking at squeezing that in in early June before going to the euros.

Has anyone on here ever been to the Stockholm derby between Djurgardens and Hammarby? Potentially looking at squeezing that in in early June before going to the euros.

Been to Hammarby, went for their first match of season a few years ago where they do a big walk from them original home to the stadium - was some experience. I will go back and watch a derby there, other than the bar prices it was a brilliant weekend, really good fan culture.

Been to Hammarby, went for their first match of season a few years ago where they do a big walk from them original home to the stadium - was some experience. I will go back and watch a derby there, other than the bar prices it was a brilliant weekend, really good fan culture.
Yeah, have seen videos before from the Djurgardens side. Can get flights for £140 direct from Edinburgh just now. Not sure about ticketing but hoping it’s fairly straight forward.

Yeah, have seen videos before from the Djurgardens side. Can get flights for £140 direct from Edinburgh just now. Not sure about ticketing but hoping it’s fairly straight forward.

Seem to see plenty of groundhoppers at it mate so probably not too hard, well worth doing a match there - like I say I really enjoyed Stockholm.

I saw 1860 play, in the old Olympic Stadium, Vidar Riseth had signed for them a day or two earlier and was making his debut. Someone in the crowd was giving him sectarian abuse

Gig is in Gelsenkirchen, but I booked cancellable digs in Dortmund. I might just get a night train to Prague after the gig

Stayed in Unique Hotel in Dortmund the other week, 5 mins from train station. Cheap and alright. Not much in either of them really. Is that that European Sleeper train that’s just started or is there a direct train from there?

Stayed in Unique Hotel in Dortmund the other week, 5 mins from train station. Cheap and alright. Not much in either of them really. Is that that European Sleeper train that’s just started or is there a direct train from there?
It's ICE to Berlin then RegioJet to Prague. I've used both types before and quite enjoyed them

I've got flights and tickets for Inter v Napoli in a couple of weeks.

Tickets were 110 Euros each direct from Inter for what look like nothing better than ok seats.

Desperate to see the San Siro though as I'm not sure how much longer it'll be around. I notice that they vary the prices depending on the opposition so would be a lot cheaper to see Empoli or the likes.

Tickets were 110 Euros each direct from Inter for what look like nothing better than ok seats.

Desperate to see the San Siro though as I'm not sure how much longer it'll be around. I notice that they vary the prices depending on the opposition so would be a lot cheaper to see Empoli or the likes.

They do that in Spain as well. Saw this the other week for Vallecano:

Only been abroad for a game once before. To the Allianz arena to watch Bayern at home against Bolton in the europa/uefa Cup whatever it was at the time. Used to do a lot of Bolton away games with a couple of Bolton fan mates for the road trip so we did this trip a day. Drove from Manchester to Stansted, flew from there to Salzburg then train to Munich and visa versa for the trip home. Vague memories of it now really but remember enjoying it. They had tickets in the home end though because Bolton sold their allocation. So we agreed if Bolton scored we'd keep it low key. Of course Bolton went ahead after about 3 minutes and these 2 pillocks went ballistic next to me! Safe to say our cover was blown but no issues with anyone luckily. Game finished 2 each Bolton got a late equaliser as well.

You can do the Belgrade Derby for roughly €300 plus flights

Flights were about 80 quid return from Luton earlier this week for next weekend.

Sitting at 170 but considering the price of ticket and hotel it’s not a bad price even still.

Flights were about 80 quid return from Luton earlier this week for next weekend.

Sitting at 170 but considering the price of ticket and hotel it’s not a bad price even still.
They were £40 a month or so ago, but like you say a cheap trip overall, few of us flying over with away end tickets sorted courtesy of some partizan supporting friends.

This price is quite tempting even now:

Beer on the plane dearer than the match ticket.

They were £40 a month or so ago, but like you say a cheap trip overall, few of us flying over with away end tickets sorted courtesy of some partizan supporting friends.
Love that mate enjoy.

Never made it to Belgrade yet but I’m hoping the first one of next season.

This price is quite tempting even now:

Beer on the plane dearer than the match ticket.
If I could’ve got next Friday off work, I’d have went. I love how it’s a must do in the eyes of a lot of football fans but still reasonably accessible.

Cost me €29 for a ticket for Mondays game vs Genoa, think the seat looks pretty good. Flight time is a bit tighter than I'd like for a new city, due in Milan at half 4, but travelling light im hoping to make a quick trip to the hotel then the ground

I'll be at Borussia stadium in mid April for the Moenchengladbach v Dortmund game, really looking forward to it.

Staying in Dusseldorf so will be train then bus to get to the stadium and just on my own so hope I don't fuk up and get on the wrong one! Also assume I'll be alright saying gers are my team if any random Germans take an interest in my accent, no inherent hatred of us from either team as far as I'm aware?Although Moenchengladbach do play in green right enough...

I'll be at Borussia stadium in mid April for the Moenchengladbach v Dortmund game, really looking forward to it.

Staying in Dusseldorf so will be train then bus to get to the stadium and just on my own so hope I don't fuk up and get on the wrong one! Also assume I'll be alright saying gers are my team if any random Germans take an interest in my accent, no inherent hatred of us from either team as far as I'm aware?Although Moenchengladbach do play in green right enough...

You'll struggle to knacker that up, be thousands getting the bus.

Good pub right outside Gladbach station:

You'll struggle to knacker that up, be thousands getting the bus.

Good pub right outside Gladbach station:

Sound, thanks mate. Planning on leaving myself plenty of time so will definitely nip in there for a couple.

A few from the Sarajevo derby, FK Sarajevo hosting Zeljeznicar. My first shot at posting pics since I recommenced using FF
lassie polis was cute but she had a big machine pistol
both sets of fans walk back to the city centre after the game, football doesn't engender hatred when you've been shelled by the JNA within the lifetime of most of the fans

Last edited:
A few from the Sarajevo derby, FK Sarajevo hosting Zeljeznicar. My first shot at posting pics since I recommenced using FF
lassie polis was cute but she had a big machine pistol
both sets of fans walk back to the city centre after the game, football doesn't engender hatred when you've been shelled by the JNA within the lifetime of most of the fans
Is it easy enough to travel to? Is Sarajevo as a city worth visiting?

I looked at going to this, it’s this weekend. Was under £200 Friday to Monday from Manchester, think a change in Vienna.
I was on a bit of a trip. I flew to Split, had a couple of days there and in Mostar (beautiful) . Sarajevo is more interesting than pretty. It obviously has a wealth of history. I then bussed to Belgrade, then Budapest
It's a place that intrigues me due to the fairly recent conflict there and it being off the beaten track but I haven't looked into it as yet, definitely on the list to research more though.

Pictures from the game looked good too, a nice older stadium with a bit of character.

It's a place that intrigues me due to the fairly recent conflict there and it being off the beaten track but I haven't looked into it as yet, definitely on the list to research more though.

Pictures from the game looked good too, a nice older stadium with a bit of character.
It's definitely worth a visit, the city is small enough to be walkable.
Get a guided tour and be sure to see the roses of Sarajevo

Does anyone have any experience buying Boavista tickets? We're looking at attending next Saturday's match as we're still in Portugal.

Struggling to see any tickets online.

Latest trip was in January to see Athletic Bilbao v Real Sociedad. Class City great ground and red hot atmosphere.

Although the only thing that I didn’t get was Sociedad fans with colours sitting in the home end and everyone being okay with it. Imagine a derby in the UK where that happened!

Latest trip was in January to see Athletic Bilbao v Real Sociedad. Class City great ground and red hot atmosphere.

Although the only thing that I didn’t get was Sociedad fans with colours sitting in the home end and everyone being okay with it. Imagine a derby in the UK where that happened!

Massive piece on The Athletic in Jan about this, too long to copy and paste but worth finding it. You do see it at many matches at Spain, that one seems to be the one where it is very prominent though.

Small excerpt:

The two neighbours have tended to come together when faced with external adversaries — most famously the 1976 derbi when captains Jose Angel Iribar of Athletic and Inaxio Kortabarria of La Real entered the pitch carrying between them the Basque Ikurrina national flag banned at the time by the central government in Madrid.

Both teams historically only used local Basque players — Athletic mostly from its Vizcaya province, La Real generally from Guipuzcoa — and both won two La Liga titles during the 1980s. Then football became more global, especially after the 1995 Bosman ruling. La Real started to sign some players from outside, but Athletic stuck to their historic philosophy, while using their greater financial muscle to attract players developed by their local rivals.

I was at a Liverpool derby at Goodison Park around 20 years ago and there was a big group of Liverpool fans in the home end at the front of the stand. My only experience of a big derby before then was the Old Firm so I was pretty surprised. No idea if it still happens these days in England but I wouldn't be surprised - as much as the Old Firm gets criticism these days, it's still way out infront in terms of actual hatred, compared to most derbies IMO.

We did not necessarily go just for the game, but in 2008 we went on a family trip to Barcelona, my Dad saw that Barcelona was playing Boca Juniors in the Joan Gamper Trophy, and got him and me tickets, was an incredible atmosphere and a cracking game as well, Dad was cheering on Boca, so in my 10-year-old rebellious stage, decided I was a mad Barca fan, ended 2-1 Barca

Sounds like there is a bit of a rivalry there now.
True. One I'll definitely keep an eye out on for future trips.

On another matter - bought my match ticket for Belgrade today, looks like it's just been opened up to general sale. Seemed like the only ones available were in the North end which I think is the Ultras end.

Where in the stadium did you go when you went? Will that end be cool for outsiders like me?

True. One I'll definitely keep an eye out on for future trips.

On another matter - bought my match ticket for Belgrade today, looks like it's just been opened up to general sale. Seemed like the only ones available were in the North end which I think is the Ultras end.

Where in the stadium did you go when you went? Will that end be cool for outsiders like me?

I went in there mate, Crazy North they call it. I never had any hassle or anything, very limited refreshments inside by the way and they seemed to close all pubs nearby before the game, was quite chaotic getting in. It’s really interesting inside, lot of graffiti.

It was 5 years ago this weekend I went, this was the Crazy North at that fixture:

I went in there mate, Crazy North they call it. I never had any hassle or anything, very limited refreshments inside by the way and they seemed to close all pubs nearby before the game, was quite chaotic getting in. It’s really interesting inside, lot of graffiti.

It was 5 years ago this weekend I went, this was the Crazy North at that fixture:

Nice one, that's put my mind at ease at a bit. I was thinking about trying to get a hospitality ticket for this one so I could get a better view / appreciation of the whole stadium but looking forward to the North End now.

Nice one, that's put my mind at ease at a bit. I was thinking about trying to get a hospitality ticket for this one so I could get a better view / appreciation of the whole stadium but looking forward to the North End now.

Kids and that in there mate, you’ll be alright. You’ve made the right choice.

One of my favourite grounds. I think the Spaniards have generally done a good job with their new builds. You get brilliant atmospheres in there and the Metropolitano when it's a big game. Still need to check out Espanyol's.

One of my favourite grounds. I think the Spaniards have generally done a good job with their new builds. You get brilliant atmospheres in there and the Metropolitano when it's a big game. Still need to check out Espanyol's.
Done the tour there last May. Great stadium and one I’m going to make a point of going back to a game at.

Back