Fabio Cardoso

Bates Baby

Anyone else think he's due a run in the team? Big fan of his attitude & looking at our options right now I can't really see why he's been kept so far out of the picture. He didn't exactly set the heather alight earlier in the season, but he wasn't terrible either & it was clear he was still getting to grips with the Scottish game, which would be way different to what he is used to in Portugal. Also another thing worth mentioning is that neither Martin or Bates are guaranteed to be our players next season, depending on contract situations. Cardoso could easily be.

Russell Martin - For me he's been poor so far. The defending at times was terrifying against Hamilton and hasn't looked assured in any of his games. Squad option at best.

David Bates - A player with potential for sure, but he isn't good enough to be undroppable right now, especially if he is refusing to sign a contract extension & trying to get better offers elsewhere. Worth persevering with if he chooses to stay, but we should be feeding him to the swans right now until he signs that extension. Not worth developing effectively someone else's player at this stage in our season.

Ross McCrorie - Seems he has suffered a setback and unlikely to feature for a while.

For me that leaves Bruno Alves (just coming back from injury) & Cardoso. I would be looking to make both our first choice pairing as quickly possible. Some might argue that Bruno has been a bit of a let down from what we were expecting, but it's clear at this stage that he still offers us a lot more than our current options regardless.

I really doubt whether he is going to figure in our longer term plans. Think he may move on in the summer.

I think there is more to come from Fabio and we should keep him, doesnt look like Murty fancies him, he has to cut out some naievty but he has potential.

TBH to brutally honest, none of the centre half options fill me with much optimism going forward. Not one of them has made themselves undroppable.

Alves - Should, but hasn't.
Cardoso - Could, but hasn't.
Martin - Square peg, round hole in terms of where he's playing (left hand side). Not impressed at all although I don't hold him solely responsible.
Bates - Potential but still limited.

Right now in terms of options (if all fit) then it would be Bates and Alves for me.

Definitely a player in there. Dont think he has done much wrong in a Rangers shirt. Maybe not physically up to the demands of the league. Speaks volumes when Murty thinks Bates is a better option. Can see him leaving in the summer sadly. Would of liked him to of been given more game time.

I like Cardoso as a footballer but prefer Bates as a defender and he is improving all the time. If everyone is fit then I would go for Bates and Alves.

I've said before was a bit of a coup getting someone who was very highly thought of in an excellent Portuguese U21 side,but he's struggled badly with the physicality of the Sphell-there's just no getting away from that.
I'd hope he might still come good as he's got great ability and at 23 still very young for a Centre Half but I fear it won't be under Murty(not a dig,I understand why he doesn't play him).

Cardosa very weak against a physical opponent lets' the ball bounce too much then gets into trouble.

TkyLnom.gif

His name is even in the title :D

When Alves and Cardoso got a run of games we started to look pretty solid at the back.

I'm not really sure what's going on with Cardoso – I personally think he's a good defender (with some improving to do) and has all the assets to become a great defender for us.

I feel sorry for him.

He’s never looked any worse than Martin has since he came in but can’t get a look in.

I like Cardoso, and much of the criticism of him on here has been over the top in my opinion.
That said, I also believe that Bates and Alves would be the pick at the back.
However, I did moot that in the absence of McCrorie, it would be interesting to see Cardoso in the same midfield role.

I feel sorry for him.

He’s never looked any worse than Martin has since he came in but can’t get a look in.

But he's not looked any better either overall and that's the problem.

His best display was a 45 minute sub appearance at Pittodrie where he was excellent. But his last start at Fraserburgh he looked bloody awful.

I agree with the argument that Murty plays his favourites and that he holds certain players to a different standard but Cardoso isn't impressing overall when he gets his chance.

IMO, it'll be Martin and Bates for the forseeable barring injury with Alves next in line. Not the two I'd go with and I think Martin is being hung out to dry by playing on the left hand side despite his less than impressive performances.

Russell Martin has been dreadful. Came with a bit of a reputation as a decent communicator etc, alarm bells rang for me when Grant Hanley kept him out at Norwich.

I’d much rather Cardoso than Martin

We'd conceded 3 goals in 8 games before Hamilton, so I think this leaky defence claim is seriously exaggerated.

I like Cardoso, and much of the criticism of him on here has been over the top in my opinion.
However, I did moot that in the absence of McCrorie, it would be interesting to see Cardoso in the same midfield role.
I said the same when some nutter suggested Bates as DM:confused:,give Cardoso a shot there if we’re going to try someone else in that position.

I think Cardoso has been hard done to,butchered out the game against murderwell and never had a chance to get his place back even when the 2 CB’s have been erratic,it will be a shame if he leaves without getting a proper chance since Pedro left.

Great attitude and seems to like being here! I hope he toughs it out because I believe there is a smashing player in there and Murty won’t be the Manager next season anyways!

Possibly a better footballer, but certainly not a better defender.
I agree, I have seen nothing from Cardoso that would make me believe he has what it takes to be a success here, whereas Bates has played very well in quite a few games. He has had a couple of howlers as well but with more experience will come greater consistency.

All candidates at CH have their strengths and weaknesses, but I would be tempted to change it up after shipping three to Hamilton.

I thought this as well,and discussed it with Mearns Unionist who posts on here a lot of good stuff.He rightly pointed out that McCrorie had actually played the role before while out on loan,whereas Cardoso had not.

I still think it would maybe be worth a shot though,in young McCrorie's absence given there's no-one else similar available to us until season end it would seem.

But he's not looked any better either overall and that's the problem.

His best display was a 45 minute sub appearance at Pittodrie where he was excellent. But his last start at Fraserburgh he looked bloody awful.

I agree with the argument that Murty plays his favourites and that he holds certain players to a different standard but Cardoso isn't impressing overall when he gets his chance.

IMO, it'll be Martin and Bates for the forseeable barring injury with Alves next in line. Not the two I'd go with and I think Martin is being hung out to dry by playing on the left hand side despite his less than impressive performances.

Hard to disagree with any of that.

But I’m sure he’ll be watching the current first picks and wondering why he’s never got much of a sniff!

I like Cardoso. If we move him on before giving him another chance in the team I'd be pretty disappointed. I think theres a player in their and was led to believe we were buying his potential.

I like the lad too. And I'd love to see him getting a run in the team I believe he is a decent footballer. But hey I dont pick the team.

Provided he is free of injury, feel that our first choice centre back next season is likely to be McCrorie. Suspect that our scouting team will have been asked to keep their eyes open for a decent centre back for us to sign. Not sure that either Alves or Cardoso would want to stay on, while Bates position is uncertain and feel that Martin has a bit to do, to justify making his loan permanent.

My preference is Bates and Martin.
Cardoso has a bit of the keirnan vulnerability to him although I do think he could go on to be a decent player for us.
Alves.... I think the less I say the less I’ll upset some

My preference is Bates and Martin.
Cardoso has a bit of the keirnan vulnerability to him although I do think he could go on to be a decent player for us.
Alves.... I think the less I say the less I’ll upset some
Easy mate,I'm all for pointing out a player's frailties that need to be improved but comparing him to Kiernan is miles out-by a considerable distance.

Easy mate,I'm all for pointing out a player's frailties that need to be improved but comparing him to Kiernan is miles out-by a considerable distance.

He has the same vulnerability in the air and is pondersome on the ground
Then has a nailer of a match, then back down again.
That’s the comparison I meant

I liked Fabio good player

But if it stops us singing that song I'm all for keeping him out The team

Back