Fabio Silva loan will not be extended next season

Was definitely worth a punt on loan. Hasn’t worked out though and good to see the club being decisive.

I’ll be interested to see how his career progresses from here.

Was an extension ever anticipated?

He must be on a hefty salary and it likely isn't viable for us to be contributing significantly to it.
After he scored against Hibs there was an interview that he hinted maybe there could be a longer term future here.

Thankfully this doesn’t seem at all likely now.

We need to steer clear of loans of players with big money transfers, invest more time and money in the likes of Diomande, Cortes and our own youth talents

Hooray for that news.
Never showed a glimpse of what made him a £35million player.
Just goes to show, English fitba has more money than sense.

He’s just not very good, will most likely get a cheap move to a mid table team in Portugal in the summer. Doesn’t actually play well out wide or up front.

I was quite ignorant about the signing of Fabio Silva - I knew he wasn't an out-and-out number 9, but it didn't enter my head that a player who was once worth £40m couldn't function in that role up here. It has turned out to be the case that he's been a pointless signing and I was wrong.

Think this was a similar signing to Aaron Ramsay, our head was turned by the name and the fee once paid for him.

The rewards of finding a good signing from England can be huge, but the two times where it has been a success: Bassey and Aribo, has been because we've got them while they were on the ascendancy or in Bassey's case....was really young and a project.

I can't think of a single time we've signed someone who was once valued at huge money or linked with a big move and we've managed to bring their reputation back up the way.

To make things worse, when we sign youths from down south for the 19s, the good ones leave before we make they make the first team.

So if we have to keep shopping in England, we need to get the profile right.

Think the price tag and playing for the mighty Rangers has weighted him down, 35 million then coming here on loan. both difficult boots to wear

Given our limited options in attack he's a player we really needed to make a bigger contribution than he actually has. Possibly if Cortes doesn't get injured he'd have played more games as a striker but being honest, he never really looked capable of getting goals when he played there either.

I've definitely had my fill of forwards who don't score goals and don't create chances now, no matter how hard they work or how much running they do. I'd imagine that the Turkish Super Lig awaits for young Fabio.

Silva
Borna
Lundstram

All offski, and the news all coming out while we are right in the middle of a title battle.
It should be, "We have a league to win before we talk of players leaving".
You can add the Tav and Goldson talk to this too.

I would rather play Scott Wright in the remaining games than Silva.

Silva seems the type that will down tools.
You mean like Scott Wright done against Aberdeen beales last game.No Scott Wright shouldn't even.be on the bench never Mind playing,he's been with us 4 seasons ffs

Hardly a surprise. He never really seemed to be the right fit for us, and never really looked like even he knew his best position. Unfortunately Silva wasn't the out and out goalscorer we really needed.

The thing is, you can see why Clement would've wanted him.

He's a big, physical, powerful player who runs himself into the ground and gives defenders a c@nt of a time. There's attributes there that make absolute sense and suggest the kind of player the manager thinks we need - and I agree with him.

The trouble is that for all Silva has those attributes, he's also a bit of a headless chicken with a generally poor end product. He's also (to resurrect a well-worn FF phrase) a giant, clanging poof who spends half his time rolling about feining injury, rather than being the bully I suspect PC expected him to be.
B-D :D :)) B-D Fpsml at this.

Had such high hopes for him but it’s been an awful loan. Watched him against Benfica at Ibrox as I thought he’d rip them a new one after the fist game but he was dreaful.

The performance he put in against Benfica away was very impressive and if he could consistently perform at that level, I’d be all for him staying (although he’d probably then have “better” options). But he can’t. We can’t carry players who turn in a performance once in a blue moon.
Could end up back in Portugal

Thankfully he’s Wolves problem and not ours. They are going to have difficulty selling him for anything like the £35M they paid for him

The thing is, you can see why Clement would've wanted him.

He's a big, physical, powerful player who runs himself into the ground and gives defenders a c@nt of a time. There's attributes there that make absolute sense and suggest the kind of player the manager thinks we need - and I agree with him.

The trouble is that for all Silva has those attributes, he's also a bit of a headless chicken with a generally poor end product. He's also (to resurrect a well-worn FF phrase) a giant, clanging poof who spends half his time rolling about feining injury, rather than being the bully I suspect PC expected him to be.
Anyone that ever watched him play wasn’t expecting him to be bullying anyone.

He started well, it’s shame the way it all went south. Feels like that’s how most of our loan deals go though.

Will probably be loaned out to a championship team and do OK. Some players just can't handle the expectation that comes from playing for us.

A premier league player regardless of how much he cost should have added way way more than what he has

Still has an opportunity to make an impact tho

Anyone that ever watched him play wasn’t expecting him to be bullying anyone.
Growing up in a Portuguese footballing culture where winning fouls and getting your opponent booked is seen as conducive to winning, to the frankly weird system we have here where gamesmanship is completely frowned upon is a culture shock.

The biggest worry for me with the Silva signing is how much Clement wanted him.

I'm sure there were a few stories about the lengths Clement went to to get him signed.

A bit of a worry for future signings for me.

When I saw him linked I was delighted, I thought he’d fire us to the title - I wont lie.

But having watched him every week and not off youtube I cant believe how bad he is.

I can only think in no way shape or form did Clement think he would be this bad. I’d genuinely prefer Lammers.

What a completely pointless announcement. Might tweet ‘Breaking News: I wont be riding Megan Fox tonight’. About the same level of surprise and exclusivity.

Back