Fashion Sakala Officially Signs

Regardless of If he fails or not he is an international who can play right across the frontline with a decent scoring record for one of the smaller sides in the Belgium top flight getting a player like that in on a free seems like excellent business

They seek him here
They seek him there
They look around but he's not fuckin' there!
He's scored again and we celebrate with Fashion

We seek him here
We seek him there
Ever since he became a bear
We're dedicated followers of Fashion
Needs work.

Think he looks an excellent pick up given his videos but already starting to wish we hadn't signed given the utter brain damage chat about his name.

Regardless of If he fails or not he is an international who can play right across the frontline with a decent scoring record for one of the smaller sides in the Belgium top flight getting a player like that in on a free seems like excellent business
So hes got 3 chances of making it then, I like those odds!

His backstory is impressive and Rangers can always use pace and trickery, particularly in Europe.

Would be interesting to see if we can get Kent and Fashion tearing up the wings together next season, that would be quite a potent double threat. The centre forward playing between them would score a barrel load.

Really interesting article. On the phone so cant copy and paste it all..

NEW Rangers striker Fashion Sakala has given an insight into the torturous journey he's made from a poverty-stricken African village to get to Ibrox.

He also lifted the lid on how he had to hunt impalas to survive, shared a six-hour bike journey with his dad for his first-ever football trial and was bullied for not speaking the local Bemba language at his first club.

Wonder where he’ll play, but given the window’s yet to open, all that will be up in the air.

Midfield and possibly goalie are the most interesting depts for me this off season.

Should be a good ‘un!

NEW Rangers striker Fashion Sakala has given an insight into the torturous journey he's made from a poverty-stricken African village to get to Ibrox.

He also lifted the lid on how he had to hunt impalas to survive, shared a six-hour bike journey with his dad for his first-ever football trial and was bullied for not speaking the local Bemba language at his first club.
Changed his name from Timothy. A good lad long before we signed him. Clearly used to listen to our games on the village radioB-D

The Oostende hitman confirmed this week he will join Steven Gerrard's side, with his contract in Belgium expiring this summer and signed a bumper four-year deal for the new Scottish champions.

And Sakala, in an extensive interview with a Belgian publication last month, revealed his extraordinary route from a Zambian outpost to Govan, via Russia and Belgium and why he changed his name.

He said: "Actually my name is Timothy. That was my father's first name too, but because he dribbled so well when he was a player, they called him Fashion...like style.

"His nickname became more important than his real name over time.

"When I was born he called me Timothy, but others insisted on Fashion. That's now what it says on my passport...Fashion Sakala.

"I come from a Zambian village close to the border with Malawi. I'm from a very poor family, but I'm not ashamed of that. On the contrary, I am proud of it because my story shows how you can change a life.

"We had nothing at home, not even food. Very soon my family was counting on me to take care of it. I did that by hunting in the bush.

"In my village, they called me 'captain' because I was trying to protect my family.

"My father did his best, but he didn't have a proper job, nor the strength or the courage to do like me. But that does not detract from his qualities. He was a good father. I don't blame him for our poverty. He was a good footballer himself.

"To give an example of how poor we were, we didn't have a TV at home until 2008. One of the first football players I saw playing was Cristiano Ronaldo, which is why he is my hero.

"I hunted impalas and rabbits with the help of dogs. At one point, we had 18 dogs at home. I went out into the bush with the dogs for six or seven hours a day, until we hunted, cornered and killed the animals. I did that between the ages of ten and sixteen. Daily.

"If you are poor, you quickly learn how to survive. So I paid little attention to school. People who are hungry have difficulty concentrating.

"I have four sisters and two younger brothers, they speak Nyanja. They all count on me to help them. My sisters and her children, my father's siblings and their children, even people who have no family ties. I have many responsibilities.

"I have to be careful with my career or we risk falling back into poverty. But I see it as a blessing that I can do that, it motivates me."

And Sakala revealed how he was plucked from Zambia to Spartak Moscow four years ago.

He said: "I have something special - a gift from God. I see the future in my dreams.

"One day my father was listening to the radio and he heard about trials at a football school a long way away. We went there by bicycle. We had one bike and we sat on it together somehow and crawled along for a six-hour journey! It was a terrible trip and my father was a hero for that.

"It was the last day of the trials and a lot of boys had already been chosen. I felt lost, didn't speak English, didn't know how to dress, people made fun of me. But I had dreamed beforehand that I would be selected, so I persisted.

"God helped that day. In the first half, I scored three times. At half time I switched camp and scored five times. It was 5-3 and I had scored all the goals! Of course, I was allowed to stay. There, at that football school, I later learned English too.

"Initially, everyone laughed at me, but that stopped when I played. After a year in that school, a team from the Zambian Premier League picked me up.

"My father didn't believe that at first. When people from the city come to get your son, you can think of anything. Maybe they will kill him or do bad things to him...that's what he thought.

"He then called the club president and he assured him that it was serious. Then he gave me his blessing. That was around 2013 when I was sixteen.

"In Chingola, I signed for Nchanga Rangers, I was laughed at again. My clothes, my accent. There they spoke Bemba, a completely different language and mocked me.

"I cried and called my father and wanted to come home but he told me to remember how far God has already taken you from our village. Now you have to be strong and fight for it.

"I moved to Zanaco in Lusaka. I scored eleven goals that season and we became champions, but even then I knew I wanted to move to the next step. They still laughed at my clothes, I was still poor.

"At the Under 20s African Cup I got an offer from Spartak Moscow for trials and after just three days I got a contract. It wasn't easy after that. I was a top scorer in the B-squad, but I never got a chance in the A-squad. They would rather give players who were on the bench in the second team a chance.

"So I thought If Spartak doesn't find me good enough to use me, God will take me somewhere else, I thought. I never blame others.

"I heard about the interest from Oostende in 2018 and I wanted to get out of Russia as soon as possible. The first season was difficult, especially tactically. I was still an African footballer, insufficiently adapted to European football. It was working, training and learning.

"But I see a big difference with me from back then."

And the 24-year-old has given an indication to Rangers fans, in the Voetbal Magazine interview, about what they can expect.

He said: "I've had coaches saying they see me as a right winger or a left winger or a midfielder. I'm a striker.

"I've learned a lot from every coach and am a much better player now than I was three years ago.

"I will never be a Ronaldo, but I do try to be better than any other footballer. By paying attention to nutrition, my body. Many young players lose it at our age.

"Now of course, I do have money, but the dream should never be about that money. I've seen it so many times: money, going out, fast car, accident, and bang...two legs broken and career over.

"I have evolved a lot in my career during my period in Belgium and I think I have improved every day."

Last edited:
"I hunted impalas and rabbits with the help of dogs. At one point, we had 18 dogs at home. I went out into the bush with the dogs for six or seven hours a day, until we hunted, cornered and killed the animals.

I don't like him anymore. He's cruel. Poor
wee antelopes.

"I hunted impalas and rabbits with the help of dogs. At one point, we had 18 dogs at home. I went out into the bush with the dogs for six or seven hours a day, until we hunted, cornered and killed the animals.

I don't like him anymore. He's cruel. Poor
wee antelopes.
In fairness, I heard he liked to rest his dogs and chased the antelopes down on foot.

That’s just incredible what he’s been through already at the age of 24. To have to rely on hunting 50mph animals to survive and to do so on a daily basis to feed your extended family too. Wow.

"Voetbal Krant and Daily Record both recently claimed that the Hammers wanted to sign the Zambian hitman this summer. Rangers have won the race for the pacy centre-forward, however.

David Moyes will be desperate to bring a top class striker to the London Stadium this summer.

And whilst Sakala isn’t exactly a household name, he certainly is a top talent."

"Sakala would have been a great option for West Ham. He is still very raw but he has all of the ingredients needed to succeed at the very highest level."

My level of whelmedness is rising.

For anyone who hasn't seen this is the highlights from his most recent game won a penalty which was later overturned and scored with a lovely finish before it was called for offside in the build up Jack Hendry of the other mob looks like he got a serious injury also

For anyone who hasn't seen this is the highlights from his most recent game won a penalty which was later overturned and scored with a lovely finish before it was called for offside in the build up Jack Hendry of the other mob looks like he got a serious injury also
Think he is going to be superb for us.

I can honestly say I've never read an article like that introducing footballer to any club. Even allowing for it been the Sun its a stunning account of a life leading to pro football. This stuck out for me : "If you are poor, you quickly learn how to survive. So I paid little attention to school. People who are hungry have difficulty concentrating."
I really hope this move works out for the lad. Welcome to the Rangers young man.

Worst case scenario and he has a torrid time with us......we still make a couple of million quid on him. From a business perspective it's a no brainer. Apparently anderlecht offered 1.25m for him in January when he had just 6 months left on his contract. They couldn't offer a pre contract because they're in the same league. To my mind that puts his value at around 4-5 million when under contract

So hes got 3 chances of making it then, I like those odds!

His backstory is impressive and Rangers can always use pace and trickery, particularly in Europe.

Would be interesting to see if we can get Kent and Fashion tearing up the wings together next season, that would be quite a potent double threat. The centre forward playing between them would score a barrel load.

Like the fact that he is comfortable on both feet, from the youtube clips.

It's a huge asset to have, as we see regularly from Kent and Hagi.

What an amazing story about how he hunted to survive in Zambia.
This guy's going to be some player if he has the talent to go with his strength of character that you need in a harsh environment.....you need a big heart and confidence to cycle 6 hours for a trial.
There not laughing at his Fashion sence now. :cool:

Like the fact that he is comfortable on both feet, from the youtube clips.

It's a huge asset to have, as we see regularly from Kent and Hagi.
Watching the pace/skill of Chelsea last night...thats where we need to get to.

You’d imagine with that background and humbleness he will burst a gut every time on the pitch. Sounds very committed
I just cannot imagine having that sort of weight on my shoulders at that age. We are lucky beyond imagination in advanced countries.

He’s looking like our Morelos replacement looks a good good player he should score a barrel load for us!

I'm not watching but this game sounds mental. Sofascore has him as the best performing Oostende player though.

What a cracking first half that was, he could have had a hat trick, 2 good saves from the keeper though. These teams don’t seem to bother with defending, I really hope Jack Henry is their great hope for next season!

Back